• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

False Lincoln Quotes

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Historians are dispelling many quotes falsly attributed to President Lincoln

You may not know this, but here are a few that did not make the CNN article:

1) Pull my finger (this one was John Quincy Adams)

2) Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. take. me. home. yeah yeah.

3) But its a dry heat.

Can the Throbbing Brain of Cyburbia TM recall any other quotes falsly atributed to our fallen President?

otterpop

Cyburbian
"Mary, I don't want to go to the theatre. Actors will never make a significant impression on the political process in America."

Or was it:

"Mary, I don't want to go the the theatre. I need to see another play like I need a hole in my head."

biscuit

Cyburbian
Lincoln has often been falsely credited with having said "...and if that ain't country I'll kiss your ass," to Stephen A. Douglas, while describing his hard scrabble childhood in a log cabin, during one of their famed debates.

I was under the impression that Lincoln did not willingly sign the Emancipation Proclamation.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Many still believe he was the first to say "Cotton candy, sweet and low, let me see that tootsie roll, tootsie roll"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
I was under the impression that Lincoln did not willingly sign the Emancipation Proclamation.
TRUE

This is a quote from the US Park Service's historical summary:

On Jan. 1, 1863, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln declared free all slaves residing in territory in rebellion against the federal government. This Emancipation Proclamation actually freed few people. It did not apply to slaves in border states fighting on the Union side; nor did it affect slaves in southern areas already under Union control. Naturally, the states in rebellion did not act on Lincoln's order. But the proclamation did show Americans--and the world--that the civil war was now being fought to end slavery.

Lincoln had been reluctant to come to this position. A believer
in white supremacy, he initially viewed the war only in terms of
preserving the Union. As pressure for abolition mounted in
Congress and the country, however, Lincoln became more sympathetic to the idea. On Sept. 22, 1862, he issued a preliminary proclamation announcing that emancipation would become effective on Jan. 1, 1863, in those states still in rebellion. Although the Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery in America--this was achieved by the passage of the 13TH Amendment to the Constitution on Dec. 18, 1865--it did make that accomplishment a basic war goal and a virtual certainty.

Thanks for the research Chet. I did a half-ass Google search that yielded nothing but some disturbing right-wing, white supremacist web sites that stopped me cold in my tracks. 8-!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
After penning the phrase "One nation, under Dog", President Lincoln then decided to grow his signature stovepipe tophat.

At least that's what they want you to 'know'!?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Hip-Hop and the Stovepipe Rapper.

During a jamming hip-hop party after the news was announced that General T. Sherman had indeed reached Atlanta, he was overheard rapping, "The roof, the roof, The roof is on fire. We don't need no water. Let the Southern City burn. Burn Confederate City, burn." Later, of course, the quote was cheapened and reworked by pop culture icons the Bloodhound Gang.

On a later Behind the Music, the Bloodhound Gang members claim to be serious historians as well as classical rap entertainers. They use original Abe Lincoln material throughout their latest CD: Headwound. The jury is still out on this sort of "sampling."

MOD NOTE Are you nuts eg? EDITED to remain Worksafe Policy Compliant. - EG

Whoops Sorry. -EG

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I can attest that "Me Chinese, me no joke, me do pee-pee in your coke" was not actually spoken by him. It was Kennedy. Actually most off-color sayings in our culture can be traced back to the Kennedys. Trust me, I'm on the internet.

I also read that the song "I'm too sexy for my shirt" WAS written by Lincoln in a recently uncovered letter to Gen. Grant. I would show the accompanying photos but they are NOT work-safe.

otterpop

Cyburbian
A famous Lincoln statement which has been drasticaly changed over the years occurred during his First Inaugal speech Lincoln, responding to criticism about his unattractiveness and in order inspire other perceived unattractive people, said "A shout out to my homelies."

In recent years, his statement has been changed slightly and adopted by hip-hop artists: "A shout out to my homeys."

Seabishop

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
A famous Lincoln statement which has been drasticaly changed over the years occurred during his First Inaugal speech Lincoln, responding to criticism about his unattractiveness and in order inspire other perceived unattractive people, said "A shout out to my homelies."

In recent years, his statement has been changed slightly and adopted by hip-hop artists: "A shout out to my homeys."
That's just before he started Abraham Linkin Park. Their blend of cheesy rap & nu-metal was years ahead of its time. My great-great grandfather got arrested at one of their shows.

I'm surprised teachers really aren't revising history this much to get teens' attention.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
"Four score and twenty years ago, our forefathers put forth the proclamation that we will, we will rock you!"

EDIT: Sorry if I screwed up the beginning of that quote. I'm just an ignorant Canadian, eh?

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
"Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
"Раскрылся розовый бутон,
Прильнул к фиалке голубой,
И, легким ветром пробужден,
Склонился ландыш над травой.

Пел жаворонок в синеве,
Взлетая выше облаков,
И сладкозвучный соловей
Пел детям песню из кустов:

Цвети, о Грузия моя!
Пусть мир царит в родном краю!
А вы учебою, друзья,
Прославьте Родину свою!"

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
"Got Milk?"

Dan... LOL... :p

Too bad I could play around with korean or japanese characters :(

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan said:
"Раскрылся розовый бутон,
Прильнул к фиалке голубой,
И, легким ветром пробужден,
Склонился ландыш над травой.

Пел жаворонок в синеве,
Взлетая выше облаков,
И сладкозвучный соловей
Пел детям песню из кустов:

Цвети, о Грузия моя!
Пусть мир царит в родном краю!
А вы учебою, друзья,
Прославьте Родину свою!"
Did you mean Abe Lincoln didn't say this?
[blur=3]Pink bud was opened, it clung to the violet of blue, I, by
light breeze were waked up, the lily of the valley above the grass
was inclined. Lark in the dark blue sang, taking off above
clouds, I sweet-sounding nightingale it sang to children song
from the bushes: Flower, about Georgia my! Let the peace reign
in the country! But you by studies, friends, glorify native land
your!"[/blur]

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
"Four score and...twenty minutes ago"....."be excellent to each other, and party on dudes"

spoken by historical figure Abe Lincoln after Bill and Ted's history report

H

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
After penning the phrase "One nation, under Dog", President Lincoln then decided to grow his signature stovepipe tophat.
Of course he followed that in his next speech by asking the ever rhetorical and self-pondering question of, “Who let the dogs out? Who? Who? Who? Who?”