• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Father's Day

What are you getting Pops for Father's Day?

• A Tie - the gift that keeps on giving

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Six pack of beer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some useless gadget from the Sharper Image

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • What's a gift?

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Other - Explanation offered below

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
Father's Day is this Sunday and I have no idea what to get my future father-in-law (my father's deceased). Anyone having similar problems?

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
My father is a nudist and a computer geek...

what do you get him?

Fathers are really hard to shop for. I was thinking something sily, like body paint sunscreen.....

But ties, razors, bbq pits, heavily marketed items...it's all been done, it's not personal anymore. On another note, For dads who like to get massages, touchy feely.....I recommend the "Tingler". www.everythingforlove.com

It's amazing.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My dad is a recent Harley Davidson convert so I will go over to Milwaukee Harley Davidson and get him something chrome or something leather.

He always has some new hobby that he is working on so he is easy to shop for.

nerudite

Cyburbian
My dad... I get an amazon.com gift certificate... hmmmm... Oooo... I wonder if cyburbia will get a cut on a gift certificate?

For my boyfriend, we are thinking of the barbeque thing... or maybe dvds. He also got a promotion that starts next week, and he needs some decent shoes, so maybe he'll get some new docs or something... haven't really decided yet because all my night meetings this week haven't allowed me the one on one time to talk to the children.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what I'm getting my dad....probably bbq related stuff.

I don't expect to see anything for me on fathers day.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I bought my dad "Open" by NPR sports commentator/writer John Feinstein. It's about the US Open golf tournament and the process to get it played on a public course for the first time ever, last year on Long Island. My dad's a golfer and it's what he asked for.... I have heard it's an interesting book.

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Well Happy Father's Day from me then!

I didn't get squat on Mother's Day despite that most of my life is devoted to my boyfriend and his children. Step-parents get a raw deal, so from one step to another... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY... YOU ROCK! :)

biscuit

Cyburbian
I've just about given up on buying gifts for my dad. If there is something he wants that he hasn't already bought himself, chances are I can't afford it. This year he will be getting a card in the mail, and maybe a Lowes gift-card.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I was away in the UK for Mother's Day, so I didn't get my mum anything specific (brought back lots of chocolate for her though)...so I wasn't sure whether I should get my Dad anything or not.

I offered to sand down and repaint the shed up at the cottage this weekend, but over lunch just now I popped into Indigo's and stumbled across a book I think he'll like - "Fields of Fire: The Canadians in Normandy", by Terry Copp. So I got him that.

I think it's too late to get out of the shed thing though...

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
Well Happy Father's Day from me then!

I didn't get squat on Mother's Day despite that most of my life is devoted to my boyfriend and his children. Step-parents get a raw deal, so from one step to another... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY... YOU ROCK! :)
Thanks and a belated Happy Mothers Day to you.

[ot]
My e-mail is f'ed up....check your PM's[/ot]

Seabishop

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Your bad day is becoming clearer :( (Buy lots of flowers right now!)

My dad hasn't had a new hobby since the TV was invented so it'll probably be a DVD.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
Your bad day is becoming clearer :( (Buy lots of flowers right now!)
I only wish it was that simple....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'm in the same boat as biscuit. My dad has everything material that he possibly wants. I just get him an obnoxious card. He still laughs at the one I bought him in 1989. It was entirely in spanish and he had no idea what it said.

Borders gift certificate. My dad is getting lazy in his old age, spending lots of time in his easy chair with a book.

donk

Cyburbian
I probably won't get him anything, but I have been slowly but surely been bringing back bottles of scotch and irish whisky from the red barns of NH.

It probably evens out.

Runner

Cyburbian
We have taken to sending a card with a check which usually gets used on going out to dinner. From Mom's e-mail today:
Dad received his card and gift this morning and he thanks you for both. I will plan to take him to the Chowder House for dinner!

kms

Cyburbian
I'll get my husband a case of dark beer, and pick up a Vincent's pizza for dinner.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Isn't a card enough? Why must we bow down to society and buy gifts for this and that holiday? My husband wants to buy his father a new pair of pants, but my mom only got a card. I really think people should get cards because sometimes it is the only way to tell others how you really feel about them. A gift is just there to buy their love. I know gifts are nice because I love to get them, but I do want others to know how much I love them, i.e., cards are great. Plus, they are so much cheaper!

Jeff

Cyburbian
hey i guess i get a fathers day present this year....thats weird

biscuit

Cyburbian
kms said:
I'll get my husband a case of dark beer, and pick up a Vincent's pizza for dinner.
Sounds like he's one of the luckiest men in the world.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Trail Nazi said:
Isn't a card enough?
Maybe a card and a... erm... other particular thing men like.

I have an idea! Hand your hubby the card, start with the, uh... you know... and have the card say, "Be glad I wasn't doing this before, or you wouldn't be a father!"

Now that'd be funny.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
my wife and I have gotten into the tradition of sending batches of homemade cookies to our dads.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
TN's would be luckier if my suggestion were to happen...
I say combine all three! That's what I'm asking for my birthday. <singing> "These are a few of my favorite things"

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
My dad passed away when I was a wee child (on Mother's Day, ironically), and for years I felt so 'out of sorts' on Father's Day.

But I get along real well with my in-laws. They're at that age when they're starting to downsize their household and don't need or want any more material possessions. For Father's Day, my husband and I are planning only to spend the day with them. They're at a camping resort for the summer so it should be nice and relaxing.