• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Favorite Art Deco in your city?

Supertall

Cyburbian
What's your favorite Art Deco skyscraper in your city?

The tallest here is the SBC Building, which isn't very attractive.

So I would say it is the Circle Tower, which is one of my favorites in Indianapolis.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Skyscraper in my city? We are not that big, although because we are a college town, this rural community of 15,000 does have an eleven-story building. Outide of campus, though, the tallest building is only four stories. The tallest art deco building we have is an altered storefront - two stories.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Frontiers Unfettered by Any Frowning Fortress

Behold and be awed at the 566,313 square foot monument to Rust Belt municipal bureaucracy that is Buffalo City Hall!

ObUL: Someone jumped off the observation deck several years ago, and was impaled on the flagpole. It was several days before the body was removed.

"Stay home. Enjoy your family. Watch Channel 7, and get a six-pack."

biscuit

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Behold and be awed at the 566,313 square foot monument to Rust Belt municipal bureaucracy that is Buffalo City Hall!

That's City Hall!? I couldn't imagine that government for a city the size of Buffalo could use such a large space.

There are better examples of art deco here in my city, but this is the tallest, and most well known, structure in that style.

The Gulf Tower. Built in 1932 it remained the tallest building in Pittsburgh for nearly 40 years.

Last edited:

Supertall

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Skyscraper in my city? We are not that big, although because we are a college town, this rural community of 15,000 does have an eleven-story building. Outide of campus, though, the tallest building is only four stories. The tallest art deco building we have is an altered storefront - two stories.
I mean building, I usually type skyscraper instead. ;)

jresta

Cyburbian
this is probably the most well-known art-deco landmark, done in the Philly style - brick. It houses upscale apartments. $12,000 a month will land you the penthouse.

actually, now i'm confused, this is probably Beaux-Arts isn't it?
There are some close ups here - the intro will prob. clear it up for the arch. buffs but there are also more pictures under "tour".
http://www.draketower.com

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The Wisconsin Gas building in Milwaukee is probably our most notable Art Deco building. The "flame" on top is an indicator of the weather - gold = cold, red=warm weather ahead, blue=no change, Flashing = precipitation is coming

However I think that my favorite Art Deco building is an apartment building:

jresta

Cyburbian
How could i forget - i used to work here. Of course, it's called "City Hall" but it also houses a lot of county offices as well. The clock still tells the right time but i've never heard the bell ring. There were actually smoke stains on the 2nd to the top floor got quite a while. The top few floors had been vacant and a homeless guy had been using a stairwell to access it. One night he got cold and thought it might be a good idea to start a fire to keep warm. There's also a full concourse in the basement that connects City Hall to the (aptly named) PATCO City Hall station.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tropical Deco

The final phase of deco is often referred to as art moderne, though on the Beach it is always deco. Not much was built in the thirties, but here it was boom times.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
bizzo, nice building--especially all that stainless steel.

Too bad about that bridge, though.