• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Favorite Billboards

Virtue City

Cyburbian
Everyone has their favorite commercials on TV. In the context of cities, billboards are sometimes just as entertaining. Anyone have a favorite billboard?

I saw one today that caused me to begin this thread. This billboard was an advertisement for the area's transit system. The ad was positioned adjacent to a low bridge with four lanes of traffic. Beneath the bridge are rails for the rapid to operate upon. The billboard implicitly pointed the transit lines, saying "Napping Lane".

:p

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
My all time favorite is from several years ago in Atlanta. It advertised a vasectomy clinc and read...... Free service for the bus driver

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
We don't have many billboards left in NH...but I remember passing this one during my college days in Indiana...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
There's a local DNA paternity testing clinic with billboards reading,

WHOS YOUR DADDY?

My favorite was a huge billboard looming over one of the most notorious housing developments (projects) in the city, ironically located on Martin Luther King Boulevard, that stated:

THOU SHALL NOT KILL

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
My favorite was a huge billboard looming over one of the most notorious housing developments (projects) in the city, ironically located on Martin Luther King Boulevard, that stated:

THOU SHALL NOT KILL
I've seen 'em in other cities. I question the effectiveness of such signs on crime, but I do know that they can't help the image of an area.

Dan said:

I've seen 'em in other cities. I question the effectiveness of such signs on crime, but I do know that they can't help the image of an area.
I think those billboards are more of a mockery than anything. I couldn't help but snicker and think "yeah right" every time I passed it.

One of the local health care systems had a billboard with a life-sized mannequin - a man dressed in a painter's outfit hanging off a ladder that was tilted towards the sidewalk. The message read something like "Accidents Happen"....blah blah blah. It caused such a stir with drivers that I'm surprised real accidents didn't occur because of it. I know my head did a Linda Blair 180 degree turn when I first drove past it.

Habanero

Cyburbian
On I35

On the way to San Antonio from Austin there is an anti-abortion billboard with hundreds for little white cosses underneath it depicting all of the "graves".

Not a favorite-

I'd never seen a religious bill board until moving to SC - those were always my favorite, especially for the "In Bed" game. It plays like this: You repeat the slogan on the billboard and then add "in bed" or "under the sheets" (very similar to the chinese fortune cookie game). My favorite was something like "Come discover the wonders of Jesus (in bed!)" snicker snicker.

el Guapo

Capitalist
PETA - not a favorite of mine

PETA just put up a bulletin Board showing the following in the older blue collar section of heavily Catholic St. Joseph, MO.

http://www.dumpdairy.com/breastnew.html

To me its as tasteless as they intended it to be.

El Guapo
Still Eating Beef and Dairy for the Baby Jesus!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A planner's worst nightmare ... over the right-of-way!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Please ... don't let it happen here ... please ...

BKM

Cyburbian
Street Pole Ads

Hey, Dan, have you ever visited www.CAUSS.org? People whose life work is removing street spam! They are SERIOUS!

I have to admit I go through phases where I rip down every damn "Work from Home" sign I see. A major pet peeve.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Not quite a billboard, but a favorite - there's something to be said for truth in advertising.

peter lowitt

Newspaper headline

in keeping with the last posting, this is not a billboard but the title says it all " GROWTH HAPPENS AND ABUTTERS NOT PLEASED."

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Re: Street Pole Ads

BKM said:
I have to admit I go through phases where I rip down every damn "Work from Home" sign I see. A major pet peeve.

I called the "work from home" number got the name and address and wrote then a ticket. Still waiting to se what happens when they get the summons for court 75 miles away. he he

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Re: Street Pole Ads

giff57 said:

I called the "work from home" number got the name and address and wrote then a ticket. Still waiting to se what happens when they get the summons for court 75 miles away. he he
YOU GO GIFF!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Our public works yard is filled with the weight loss, work from home, rummage sale, and real eastate directional signs that people insist on putting in the right of way.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Re: Street Pole Ads

giff57 said:
BOO-YA!

My collection ... :)

Jen

Cyburbian
I just got back from a trip to Lancaster and we loved the Pa turnpike signs!

Peace. Love and Turnpike. Oh there were other sayings that I can't recall but they were groovy too!

kms

Cyburbian
They are groovy signs, but those of us who drive the Turnpike still curse the Turnpike Commission for having the road under construction for the past sixty years or so! I think it's the Commission's way of taking your attention off of the condition of the road.

I hope you enjoyed your trip. I had trouble finding the Amish - too many outlet shops!

Jen

Cyburbian
Lancaster was not what I expected, but we were there for a family reunion. Lancaster is totally gridlock by outlet shops and touristy stuff but we did thoroughly enjoy the Pennsylvania scenery on the way in. Spent one night in Beaver Falls at the Holiday Inn above the Adult Bookstore. And trying to find cold beer was a trick and a half! And the turnpike is something to get used to, very narrow with no shoulders and fearless native drivers.

Funny we didn't venture out into Amish country at all, but we did see Cirque DuSoleil (sp) at the American Music Theater. We bumped literally into the Musical Muse afterwards at the HI pool! Turns out the cast was staying there but the Deely family reunion got top billing! (Our name was on the hotel marquee)

kms

Cyburbian
When I worked at a grocery during college, we knew the out-of-staters as soon as they asked which aisle had beer!

I've been known to drive 85 through the Jersey barrier tunnel that is the turnpike. The road isn't good for driving, but has a great history.

Jen - how was the grassroots festival? That's where you were heading for part of your trip, right?

Jen

Cyburbian
Hey Kelly, NO we didn't go. pout pout. Too much time required away from work for Doug, and instead we decided to go to Darien Six Flags to catch Donna the BUffalo and SCI before the fest but looking at tickets for four was a bit much so we didnt do that either. SO we crammed into the Beetle and jetted in and out of Lancaster for just the weekend.

Our friends did go to GrassRoots so we can't wait to hear how much fun they had.

J

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
"Award Winning Billboards"

I've been doing sign research today, and on the Outdoor Advertising Association of America website, they have their "Obie" Awards for outdoor advertising....interesting to see what the association feels are good billboards/street furniture ads/transit ads.

Here's a few examples of what you can find at www.oaaa.org :