• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Favorite commercials

Belle

Cyburbian
Since the SUV rant thread has moved on to commercials, I thought I'd add a thread.

In addition to the huge SUV commercial, I love the commercial with the guy with the allergy to cats. Total cat behavior all the way through.

My fiance loves the Verizon commercial with the two girls fighting...

Anyone else?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Belle said:
My fiance loves the Verizon commercial with the two girls fighting...

Anyone else?

I like that one, too, the Sprint one? It reminds me of my sisters. I can't think of any others that make me laugh right now...but there are a few clever ones out there.

H

Cyburbian
The High Life commercials from a few years back with the fat dude in his ‘wife beater’ cooking bacon or doing something else scummy.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… the High Life.

Ps. Tis my beer of preference.

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm an ad & marketing agency's worst nightmare:

I watch television, and may enjoy a few commercials I see. But I forget what most commercials are about within minutes of seeing them.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Ah, Huston got me thinking. There was a kick-ass Miller Lite commercial on a while ago that featured two women fighting over something....then mud gets involved. Ah, it's a beautiful sight.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The new United States Postal Service commercials airing during the Tourde France.

BTW....why does the USPS need to advertise?

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:

They compete with FedEx, UPS, etc for packages and priority mail, especially for sending things overseas. There's a lot more money to be made there than regular letters. It also makes them self-supporting.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It has is a spoof commercial, but I love it.

You see this cat watching the fake mouse on a string tied to a moving ceiling fan. Well the cat jumps, and clings on to it. It too swings around the room making the typical OH SH*T cat noise. Then bounces off the wall... the camera pans back, and you see that you where watching it though a camera phone.

I will see if I can find a link to it some place.

SGB

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:

On top of the competive package shipping market, the USPS is also competing with the growing popularity of email.

It's all about image enhancement.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Slightly OT: This isn't a "favorite" commercial... it's actually a pretty sad potrayal of relationships these days. A few nights ago I saw a new band-aid advertisement on t.v.... it goes something like this...

A woman is leaving on a business trip and her partner/husband/boyfriend/whatever has some other chick come over. The next day he notices that he has scratch marks on his back (presumably from sex)... so he puts on the band-aid medicated pads to heal those scratch marks. When his wife/girlfriend/whatever comes home, she has the same band-aid in the same general place (thus leading us to believe that she's had a hot time on the work trip).

I found it a bold move... but without any taste. It actually really disturbed me for awhile, once it sunk in what I had just watched. Sad comment on the state of society, IMO.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Easy favorites would be any SportsCenter commercials.

After that would be VW commercials, but not the ones for the New Beetle.

el Guapo

Capitalist
michaelskis said:
It has is a spoof commercial, but I love it.

You see this cat watching the fake mouse on a string tied to a moving ceiling fan. Well the cat jumps, and clings on to it. It too swings around the room making the typical OH SH*T cat noise. Then bounces off the wall... the camera pans back, and you see that you where watching it though a camera phone.

I will see if I can find a link to it some place.

www.stupidvideos.com :)

Recent: I like the Bob Roll commercials for OLN.

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
I am canadian commercials

As a proud canadian, I have to say that my favorite commercials are by Molson Canadian. They started a couple of years ago with the rant (if you haven't seen it, its worth searching for) that totally plays into Canadian Patriotism, and the many subsequent commercials that make fun of Canada's relationship to the USA because, lets be honest here, many people in the states don't have a clue about Canada... those Canadians who have seen Rick Mercer's talking to American's can understand what I mean.

But the whole series was great and I wish they'd bring some of them back or at least the themes associated with them. Those are my favorite commercials...

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Remember the Nike commercials from a few years ago featuring Dennis Hopper? I thought each one was great.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Re: I am canadian commercials

West Coast Canadian said:
...and the many subsequent commercials that make fun of Canada's relationship to the USA because, lets be honest here, many people in the states don't have a clue about Canada... those Canadians who have seen Rick Mercer's talking to American's can understand what I mean.

I saw a clip of the "Talking to Americans Show" a few years ago and it was hilarious. Some guy approached an elderly American woman and asked her how she felt about the tense and dangerous situation on the Canadian plains. He then asked if she supported the president's plan to send American ground troops to quell this violenece in Saskatchewan (sp? I'm only an American). And of course, the woman nodded her head and said that ground troops were a great idea.

prudence

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
The new United States Postal Service commercials airing during the Tourde France.

We are against all things French. Please refer to the race as the Tour de Freedom.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
the Quiznos commercials are pretty funny especially the one with the dog swiping a sub only to be wrestled away and left over contens devoured by the owner!!!! haha.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i have not owned a TV in years but what happend to the series of ads about a man and woman and coffee? he was tall dark and i think british? Was it tasters choice? I dont recall but i thought them romantic and wanted the next installment big time

I think this was a commercial for some sort of insurance, but it featured a man using a urinal and his cell phone rings. He digs it out of his pocket and wedges it between his shoulder and cheek to talk, only to have it slip off and into the (now full) urninal.

There's also the Sears commercial where the husband stumbles into the kitchen--apparantly just out of bed--pulls the milk out and takes a big swig, then spits the sour, curdled mess out all over the floor. His wife sitting nearby and reading the paper informs him the the fridge is broken again.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I've been scared of commercials ever since last year, when the opening tune for my son's school spring program was the Coke song "I'd like to teach the world to sing"; and I remembered seeing the real thing on t.v. way back when.

PlannerGirl, I also remember Taster's Choice but don't remember ever seeing an "ending" to the relationship.

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

I was watching the Man Show last night for a few minutes. There were a few bud light commercials that were just hilarious... my favorite is the invention of the greeting cards... things like "I'm sorry I missed your cousin's wedding". Too funny. I also like the one where bud light (or was it another beer?) that invents things like the tea party and tupperware party to give guys time to play golf.

donk

Cyburbian
Those commercials snuck into southern ontario too. Al Pallidini, "any pal of Al's is a pal of mine".

Fortunately, he got a job as the provincial Minister of Transportation.

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
Those commercials snucj into southern ontario too. Al Pallidini, "any pal of Al's is a pal of mine".

Fortunately, he got a job as the provincial Minister of Transportation.

He's dead now.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Not really commercials, but rather SNL skits :
-Uncle Jemima's Pure Mash Liquor
-Homocil
-Colombian De-caf Coffee

:D