• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Favorite Foods (Cuisines)

BKM

Cyburbian
Since I just got through eating lunch, food is on my mind. What is everyone's favorite cuisine/type of food?

My top three:

1. Thai (the world's best cuisine, overall. The sheer variety and clash of delicious flavors. It blows away French and Chinese, imo).

2. Sushi-yum. The mercury issue is a little worrisome.

3. Mexican peasant food (burritos and tacos and enchiladas) Awesome!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My favorite would have to be the traditional German - Central European food I grew up with. After that, I would say Italian and then American.

H

Cyburbian
There is no way I could pick; I have rarely met a piece of food I didn’t like. Currently I am on a sushi kick, before that Tai, before that Peruvian, before that German, before that Mexican, Chinese, etc….

biscuit

Cyburbian
1. Thai is by far my favorite ethnic cuisine, although sometimes its hard to find a Thai place that isn't just serving Chinese with peanut sauce.

2. Vietnamese has also become one of my favorites. Usually very fresh and lighter than other asian cuisine.

3. Mexican. Sometimes there's nothing better than a huge chimi-chaunga (sp?)platter with all the fixin's. Too bad I like Mexican food better than it likes me...urrrrp!

4. Down Home Cooking/Soul Food/Whatever you call want it. Nothing makes you feel better than a meal country fried steak and gravy, collards, mashed potatos, and homemade buttermilk biscuits.

H

Cyburbian
Right now in Miami “fusion” is big. This is a mixing of cultural foods and styles; it is a lot of fun to go to a Peruvian Sushi House or such!!

There is a French / Latin bakery by my house that brings the house down with their Guava Croissant!

BKM

Cyburbian
A new bakery opened in downtown Vacaville. Thought it was another Mexican bakery (one element of Mexican food I don't really like), but it turns out the owner is Peruvian. She makes great beef empanadas.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
1. Mexican, by far! I like most mexican food, so long as it is normal body parts....none of this tounge taco bs!

2. Middle eastern

3. Thai

4. I guess you would call it contemporary American or even fusion. There are all these newer restraunts around here that seem to be mixing different techniques and ingredients from all over the world and they are much better than most restaurants in the City.

5. Seafood - I like almost all seafood no matter how it is prepared, this includes sushi.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
BKM said:

My top three:

1. Thai (the world's best cuisine, overall. The sheer variety and clash of delicious flavors. It blows away French and Chinese, imo).

This is exactly how I would list it! I'm mostly vegetarian and Thai food has so many options! Also, Middle Eastern. I'm addicted to a good falafel.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
4. I guess you would call it contemporary American or even fusion. There are all these newer restraunts around here that seem to be mixing different techniques and ingredients from all over the world and they are much better than most restaurants in the City.

I was trying to figure out how to describe my fav, but I think that summed it up pretty well.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Chet said:
I was trying to figure out how to describe my fav, but I think that summed it up pretty well.

I didn't know what to call it either but places like Sauce, Tess, and The Social seem to be the best examples.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo Man said:
I didn't know what to call it either but places like Sauce, Tess, and The Social seem to be the best examples.

Add Onyx, Eve, and Crazy Water to that list and I'd only cook dinner on Sunday....

Edit: I just remembered Shakers on 2nd Street. I'm set for the week!

otterpop

Cyburbian
My favorite foods are 1) Cajun and Creole (and I am talking real Cajun and Creole food, not that stuff Paul Prudhomme and Emeril pass off as Cajun and Creole). You want Louisiana cooking, forget those guys. The go-to-guy is Justin Wilson! Jamablaya, crawfish pie and gumbo (minus the file). Etouffee. Crawfish bisque. Boudin and andouille sausage. But I tell you there is no better eating than a steaming pile of freshly boiled crawfish, shrimp and/or crabs, with boiled corn, potatoes, and garlic. Surround yourself with family and friends, have cold beer on hand (preferrably Dixie) and dig in. I do not miss the South, but I do miss Cajun cooking, my family (my mom is Cajun) and my friends.

I suppose because I grew up in the South I am also partial to other Southern fare -- a good chicken fried steak with sawmill gravy; fried catfish and hushpuppies; bisquits (preferrably made by an elderly black woman who is at least 200 pounds); fresh fried crackin's; collard greens; hoppin' john, and that sort of common folk Southern food.

Chinese food is a close second, or would that be third. Mexican would follow.

My wife is Colombian. She makes a few dishes to die for. Her gaucamole is the best! Her Colombian meatballs are great, too (sort of a hodgepodge of beef, garlic, pureed vegetables with mashed potatoes as the binding agent). One thing the Colombians do which to an American seems odd is have oxtail and potato soup for breakfast. I was skeptical at first, but once I tried it, well, I decided it was a wonderful idea. A perfect remedy for a waking stomach. not ready for hardier fare.

Man, I am hungry now.

kms

Cyburbian
I agree about the real Cajun/Creole. Southern food is probably my favorite, followed by Greek, Mexican and Chinese.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
1.- German food, I just find it irresistible
2.- Japanese food, did I hear sushi?
3.- Chilean Food, empanadas, cazuela... well prepared and delicious :)

Runner

Cyburbian
1) Any meal cooked by Mrs. Runner, she is a phenomenal cook. I get a roast turkey dinner with all the fixings on special occasions.

2) When we go out, our favorite is seafood. A special occasion here takes us to Pappadeaux in San Antonio.

Floridays

Cyburbian
First choice: Italian. Any kind. Any sauce. There are many New York Italians down here and they know their stuff!
Second: Mexican. But since I moved away from the Southwest, I have had a hard time finding a decent Mexican (TEX-MEX) place. When I go home for a visit, that's all I eat!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I just polished off lox on a bagel and this list is making me hungry again! But since the bagel is gone,
1. Thai. There's a place way out in suburbia that makes amazing pad thai and nua yum. (I think that's what it is).
2. Indian. Nothing like a good curry after a late night.
3. Cajun.
4. Coffee.
And anything that comes from a small, family-owned diner, lunch counter, street-corner stand, etc.

donk

Cyburbian
Due to where I live there are not a whole lot of good / interesting places to eat. The only thing that distinguishes the "good" restaurant from teh others is that at the good restaurant they have linen on the table. The menus are pretty much the same.

The best thing to eat right now is the fresh berries (raspberries and blue berries) and other fresh vegetables that are grown locally.

planner babs mentioned
I just polished off lox on a bagel

I like smoked salmon, but will only eat lox out of respect for the people's home I am at. There is a big difference between the two.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
ts corbitt said:
1. New England BBQ

New England BBQ?

Mexican, Chinese, seafood, I was partial to a Lebanese place once, for some reason I think Middle Easterners make the best pizza. Coffee & Donuts.

martini

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Since I just got through eating lunch, food is on my mind. What is everyone's favorite cuisine/type of food?

My top three:

I agree with BKM to the tee. Being from Minnesota though, I have to add Walleye to the mix. Prepared anywhich way, its all good. That and you can't beat a good Wisconsin Fish Fry!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Favorite Foods (Cuisines)

martini said:
Being from Minnesota...
What else is there? Good to see another native Norseman on the board. I grew up in Plymouth. How about you? And the walleye is great...so is the crappie.

otterpop

Cyburbian
In my post about favorite foods, I neglected to mention my favorite sandwich -- a softshell crab poboy. A deep-fried softshell blue crab with mayo, lettuce, and tomato between two pieces of french bread. Nothing like eating a sandwich that has legs hanging out of it! On those rare ocassions I make it back to the Motherland, one of my first stops is to a local seafood restaurant for a softshell crab poboy and a cup of gumbo.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
martini said:
Grew up in Mankato. Left, for Colorady, came back and haven't left quite yet. Are you still local?
No, I moved from Minnesota in 1983, from New Ulm. It hard to leave the mountains in the west, but If I did, it would only be back to Minnnesota. That is home to me.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmmmm....I like foods of all sorts.

My wife and I really like to cook, so we've been trying all sorts of different things lately. A lot of veggie dishes, etc. I find middle eastern is fantastic for that sort of thing. Also enjoy Indian, Greek, and Asian cuisine...

French-Canadian is also great...it's more than just poutine, eh?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
Rapi pie does nothing for me.(local french canadian dish)

Tourtierre (sp) is pretty good.

I've never heard of Rapi pie...

My wife makes a kick-ass tourtierre. Next time you're in town?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The City I work for is very French Canadian and a local favorite is the "dynamite" - its like a spicier sloppy joe in a torpedo roll. People always talk about meat pie here is that the same as Rapi?

donk

Cyburbian
rappi pie is a local thing, it is made with rabbit, pork, chicken and potatoes. The potatoes are ground/shredded and soaked so they become glue like, then the whole thing is baked. Smells really bad.

I no longer eat pork, so no more tortierre for me.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
donk said:
rappi pie is a local thing, it is made with rabbit, pork, chicken and potatoes. The potatoes are ground/shredded and soaked so they become glue like, then the whole thing is baked. Smells really bad.

I'll stick with dynamites, thank you.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
1. Thai is by far my favorite ethnic cuisine, although sometimes its hard to find a Thai place that isn't just serving Chinese with peanut sauce.

2. Vietnamese has also become one of my favorites. Usually very fresh and lighter than other asian cuisine.

3. Mexican. Sometimes there's nothing better than a huge chimi-chaunga (sp?)platter with all the fixin's. Too bad I like Mexican food better than it likes me...urrrrp!

4. Down Home Cooking/Soul Food/Whatever you call want it. Nothing makes you feel better than a meal country fried steak and gravy, collards, mashed potatos, and homemade buttermilk biscuits.

All I have to add is Cajun. When I was at the APA Conference in New Orleans, during the opening reception, I think I was one of the first ones in line, and I made sure that I tried a little of everything.

So, any one know of any good Thai places in DC. Should we make a reservation for a party?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Favorite Foods (Cuisines)

martini said:
I agree with BKM to the tee. Being from Minnesota though, I have to add Walleye to the mix. Prepared anywhich way, its all good. That and you can't beat a good Wisconsin Fish Fry!

Have you ever had Walleye from Little Bay De Noc in Upper Michigan? It is the best walleye I have ever had.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I like Italian food too, and a bit of Indian food also, but I don't like spicy food very much...

If you ever come to Chile (specially in the south), you have to try our meat! No BBQ sauce, just a little salt and you have a nice beef. Meat does have a taste of it's own you know ;). Also the meat is tender, not rock solid :)

Speaking of meat, how do you like it: raw, mid point, almost cooked, cooked, or stale hard meat? I like it mid point... ahh nothing more delicious than a nice juicy steak..

biscuit

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
All I have to add is Cajun. When I was at the APA Conference in New Orleans, during the opening reception, I think I was one of the first ones in line, and I made sure that I tried a little of everything.

So, any one know of any good Thai places in DC. Should we make a reservation for a party?

It's not really Thai per se but there's a really good sushi house/noodle bar around the corner from the Mall at Ballston in Arlington. I can't remember the name, maybe Plannergirl can help me out.

OT: D.C. Food
One of my favorite places to eat in DC is Sequoia in Georgetown. A buddy of mine manages there and that is a nice polace to get the food hook-up. Mmmmmmmm.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Mmmm, poutine. I'd make trips across the border just for Tim Horton's and poutine. Made some at home once, it was good but just not the same.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I did manage to find some curds, but it was hard to recreate walking along Georgian Bay in November. Perhaps July in Indiana isn't poutine season...it is roasted corn season, though, which is almost as good.

I'm a big Mediteranean fan - Gyros, Spanikopita, Baklava. I love feta cheese. Hummus.

I've also been loving on the Pollo Fundido at the Mexican place a friend takes me for lunch.

H

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
If you ever come to Chile (specially in the south), you have to try our meat! No BBQ sauce, just a little salt and you have a nice beef. Meat does have a taste of it's own you know ;). Also the meat is tender, not rock solid :)

Speaking of meat, how do you like it: raw, mid point, almost cooked, cooked, or stale hard meat? I like it mid point... ahh nothing more delicious than a nice juicy steak..

There is actually a Chilean restaurant by my house “Sabores Chilenos”, it is a tasty steak :)

oh, and almost cooked or medium-well.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Small-town Southern BBQ (no chains!)....ymmmmm.....

Mexican

Had a Filipino friend (now deceased) who had the most fabulous dinner parties and I learned to absolutely crave Filipino dishes and snacks