• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Favorite Foods (Cuisines)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Schnitzel (breaded pork or veal)
French fries
Sweet Slaw (shreded cabage w/spices chilled)

Tall Cool Weizen Beer or 3 to wash ita all down,

Gives me homesickness for my restaruant near Nurenburg, Germany area :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Thai
Japanese
And of course the Kiwi classic, fish 'n chips!

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I'll have...

1. Soul food/down home cooking/Southern/whatever. Sure it's a heart attack waiting to happen, but fried chicken, collard or turnip greens, candied yams, baked mac and cheese, string beans and potatoes, blackeyed peas, fried okra, cobbler (apple, peach or cherry)... the definition of comfort food.

2. Cajun/Creole. I went to a seafood boil given by a friend of mine from New Orleans, and it won me over big time.

3. Chinese. I love the wide variety of flavors and the (usually) quick prep time.

nerudite

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Korean food

mmmmm bulgogi

Oh god... I miss good Korean food!

I love most Asian foods, but I'm REEEEEALLY picky. I love thai (pretty good here), sushi (one great place here), and chinese (no good places yet). The much-touted Korean food restaurant here is mediocre at best in my book. I tried Malaysian food for the first time last week: very yummy!

I also love Greek food and authentic Mexican (read: not gonna find it in Edmonton).

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Speaking of meat, how do you like it: raw, mid point, almost cooked, cooked, or stale hard meat?

How about *no* meat? ;)

I like most ethnic cuisines: Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Mexican, Italian, Jewish. I've never had Korean food, but I understand it's mostly meat. Since I'm semi-vegetarian, that wouldn't work for me. But I do eat fish and seafood - shrimp and crab (real crab, not that fake stuff) are my favorites.

The only ethnic food I haven't liked is Ethiopian. No joke - a family member took me to an Ethiopian restaurant once, and I had to get a sandwich on the way home.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
what was bad about the Ethiopian? I have wanted to try it but curious as to why you did not like it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
what was bad about the Ethiopian? I have wanted to try it but curious as to why you did not like it.

There's not much to Ethiopian food. I've made it at home before. If you look on RUnning websites, i.e. runnersworld.com they have alot of ethiopian recipes. Eat ethiopian, run fast. Eat an ethiopian, ask for seconds.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:

- Stew-like concoction with sticky pancakes (called "bread," but they were sticky pancakes) to scoop it up with. I don't remember the flavor... but it did not make much of an impression

- No eating utensils & too mushy to pick up easily, with either fingers or sticky pancakes

- Seated on very low stools (no backs) around a table/giant bowl that also served as the plate

Blech.

H

Cyburbian
.... well after shoveling down that pot of homemade krout along with my beer, I can officially say the German food kick is back in full force. ;)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Huston said:
.... well after shoveling down that pot of homemade krout along with my beer, I can officially say the German food kick is back in full force. ;)

MMMMMmmmmm.......German food!

Kind of reminds you of midwestern quisine, LOTS of MEAT and some kind of potato and A vegetable. Washed down with large tankards of BEER! :)

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
How about *no* meat? ;)

I like most ethnic cuisines: Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Mexican, Italian, Jewish. I've never had Korean food, but I understand it's mostly meat. Since I'm semi-vegetarian, that wouldn't work for me. But I do eat fish and seafood - shrimp and crab (real crab, not that fake stuff) are my favorites.

The only ethnic food I haven't liked is Ethiopian. No joke - a family member took me to an Ethiopian restaurant once, and I had to get a sandwich on the way home.

Me too! And I'm pretty open minded about trying new things, except for funky meats. I went to Seattle last fall to visit my sister and she took me to her favorite Ethiopian restaurant. She's vegan and can actually find some dishes there without meat or dairy.

I like breads and sauces like in Indian cuisine, but with Ethiopian we were given this cool, wet, sour, spongy bread to dip in the vegetables. The bread had the texture of a gym mat. I totally lost my appetitte and had to stop for a slice of pizza on the way back to her apartment. Maybe I'll have to try it someplace else.

MayDay

Hoo boy, where do I start? Most of my favorites have been mentioned, but there are some dishes in each cuisine/genre that I can't resist. I'll just make a list - sorry for the lack of brevity:

Chinese - I know most dishes I've had are "Chinese-American", but oh well - I love potstickers (dumplings), War Su Gai (breaded chicken served with nut sauce, and Moo Goo Gai Pan every now and then.

Indian - I could conceivably live on Indian food and be quite happy. Kheer (rice pudding), samosas (potato/spice-stuffed pastries), Spinach pakora (breaded spinach), naan (preferably with garlic), bhatura bread (dessert flatbread), and so many of the chicken dishes (tikka, vindaloo, dhansak, tandoori-style).

Japanese - Sushi - I have it at least once a week with favorites being spider rolls (soft-shell crab), eel, tamago, and yellowtail. There's a dessert made with bamboo leaves and sweet/sticky rice called sasa mochi - delicious. I have to say that I don't care for miso - I don't mind minimalism but keep it away from my soup!

Thai - Tied with Indian as my favorite of the Asian cuisines I've had. I love chicken coconut soups, Thai iced coffee, pad thai, basil chicken, you name it.

Hungarian - Always best prepared by a little old lady (usually a friend's grandmother) - paprikash, spaetzels.

Soul Food - Again, little old ladies do it best - collard greens, candied yams, fried chicken (goes without saying).

Greek - See above. Rolled grape leaves, avgolemono (lemon and rice soup). I don't care for moussaka - a bit too heavy.

Mexican - Ok, I think it's pretty clear that the little old ladies know what they're doing. Empanadas, flautas, chile relleno, chicken with molé, guacamole - although I make a killer batch of guac - got the recipe from my ex (aside from a leather coat at Christmas, that's about all I got!) ;) but I digress...

I could keep going, but I don't want to bore anyone. Needless to say that my love of all things edible ensures that I'll need to keep paying health club dues until I kick the bucket.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Hm, I like to mix them together- last Saturday we ate sushi, spanikopita, steak stuffed with cilantro, peppers, jack cheese, and habaneros, and caesar salad. (So I was having a hormonal hungry day!)

BKM

Cyburbian
I actually liked Ethiopian food.

And, living in California, can't forget my fruits and veggies.

Went to the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Famers' Market. A Yuppie's food paradise. Even in a Depression (30% office vacancy rates = Depression), what a great thing! They fixed up the old Ferry building at the foot of Market Street and are slowly filling it with food vendors. The farmer's market completely surrounds the building and even spills into the corridors inside. Awesome! A big improvement over the old market in the barely paved paking lot that was in front of the building before (now the space is one of SF's less successful new urban design projects-but even that beats a parking lot!)

BKM

Cyburbian
I actually liked Ethiopian food.

And, living in California, can't forget my fruits and veggies.

Went to the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Famers' Market. A Yuppie's food paradise. Even in a Depression (30% office vacancy rates = Depression), what a great thing! They fixed up the old Ferry building at the foot of Market Street and are slowly filling it with food vendors. The farmer's market completely surrounds the building and even spills into the corridors inside. Awesome! A big improvement over the old market in the barely paved paking lot that was in front of the building before (now the space is one of SF's less successful new urban design projects-but even that beats a parking lot!) Spent way too much money-even without hitting any of the prepared food stands operated by local restaurants.

New favorite condiment-Chipotle Pepper Jam on eggs. Wow!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I LOVE farmers' markets. Pike Place Market is one of my favorite places to go when I'm visiting Seattle. Portland, Maine also has a good (but much smaller) farmers' market.

I always enjoy purchasing locally-produced foods when I vacation somewhere... whether it's Highland Oatcakes and orange marmalade flavored with Scotch, or good wine, or hot sauces... It's much more fun (and practical) than trinkets or souvenirs.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
I LOVE farmers' markets.

I picked up some fresh bison and sweet corn at the Madison farmer's market on Saturday, then fired up the grill (charcoal). Mmmmm.... I suppose that would have to be American cuisine.