• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Favorite Old-School, Arcade Video Games

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I assume that most of us, if not all, have placed a fair share of quarters into arcade video games with the purpose of conquering the game(s), friends, and others.

Let's focus on old-school, arcade video games folks. Thus, what are your favorite old-school, arcade video games (those which left you with empty pockets)? Damn!!!

My favorite ones are Asteroids and Centipede.

biscuit

Cyburbian
There was a small arcade down the street from my school and I lost a ton of quarters there playing Contra.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
I liked the pacman type games: pacman, ms. pacman, etc...

At the tail end of the pacman craze, my favorite game came out: mouse trap. It was a maze like pacman, but you had five or six different buttons that you had to use to control various doors to open in the maze. Back in the day it was pretty complex.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Galaga, Q-Bert, Star Wars and that Karate one

Did you ever notice how the really cool kids would always play with their legs far apart?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Ms. Pac Man set on the "fast" setting is awesome. I even have the "Pac Saver" screen saver, which you can actually play the real games.

I loved 720 (skateboarding game) and Gauntlet too however, my favorite game was Pepper II. I used to play it at this campground we went to as kids and this girl I had a crush on and I would go back and forth with the high score all summer long.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Only was into one game at the arcades and that was Ghosts and Goblins. Wish it was made for the computer or Playstation.

donk

Cyburbian
They still have a ghost and gobblins machine at the laundromat I go to.

I liked crazy climber, flyboy and 720. I always wanted to play dragonslayer, the first "video" video game, but was too cheap to plug in a dollar to play.

H

Cyburbian
The table-top Galaga at the Pizza Hut after the swim meet was my domain for many summers. Still to this day if ever I see one in a place; that is where I sit. And yes, they are around.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, 'fess up... who is geeky enough that they have MAME downloaded at home to play these old school games?

I'll raise my own hand to this question. I think digdug and frogger work the best on my pc. Very fun :)

BTW, I don't know if the software is bootlegged (it's been so long since I downloaded it)... so this may not be 'worksafe'.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Next to filesharing applications, MAME is one of the greatest pieces of software ever released!

SGB

Cyburbian
Add to the Galaga fans. I still find it in the "old farts" section of some of today's arcades. Right next to the Tylenol dispenser.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My grandmother still has an Asteroids machine in her garage. :)

I was big on Frogger and Centipede.

Budgie

Cyburbian
My Personal Favorites

Frogger and Galaxia

Table Tops were sweet !!!!

I still prefer Pinball.

I was a Ms Pacman fiend. I also loved Centipede, Asteroids, pinball and I forgot the name of it, but it was a driving/racing game where you can sit in the machine, plus they had a stand-up version - it had the gas and brake pedals and the steering wheel. I think it was called Pole Position.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Next to filesharing applications, MAME is one of the greatest pieces of software ever released!
Went to the MAME site. Wish I could figure it out. I need to play Ghosts and Goblins!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Gravitar... it rocked.

There was also a cool one with tanks you had to shoot. Just kind of wire frame tanks, and you looked through a scope to shoot them.

Galaga was great, and yeah, I have MAME...

I'm surpised no one has mentioned the Mario Brothers and Donky Kong. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who didn't like the game.

El Feo

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I think that was Battlezone.
Forgot about Battlezone! Man, ASteroids, Lunar Lander, battlezone - seems like I like all the vector rendering games...I am old...

bubbles

Bubble Bubble!!!

Assuming that consistues 'Old School'

Other fav would be Gauntlet! Spent a lot of time playing that game on the ferry to Vancouver.

The new Atari joystick has a handful of classic games, pretty spiffy unit!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Star Castle, Qbert, Wizard of Wor, Centipede, Ms Pac Man, Gauntlet, and Joust.

I'm getting flashbacks ... the sounds of the neighborhood arcade, and Journey in the background ... "Don't stop ... believin' ..."

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Star Castle, Wizard of Wor, Centipede, Ms Pac Man, Gauntlet, and Joust.
I loved Joust! That's another game that works really well with MAME, too. :)

jestes

Cyburbian
Absolutely the mother of all classic arcade games...Defender, then its souped-up big brother, Stargate. We had a Stargate, Defender and Pac-man at our neighborhood convenience store where we would all hang out after school.

Rem

Cyburbian
Video arcade games were always too "new fangled" for me. I have always sought out pinball. A friend of mine and I once got 13 free games up in our 1 hour dinner break on the Six Million Dollar Man machine (it was a relatively easy machine). Had to leave them and get back to work.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Oh, there were so many. I spent a LOT of quarters back in the day...Asteroids, Space Invaders, Gorf, and my favorite, Vanguard. I used to have a book on how to beat every level and play endlessly on Pac-Man

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Pac Man 1982
Super Pac Man 1983
PacMania 1987
Ms Pac Man (fast chip) 1990

I also liked Elevator Action. Remember that one?

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
I still play the Ms. Pac-Man machine at the Bud's Broiler all the time.
Also a big fan of 2 nes games rad racer 2and super mario brothers. I do, however, think I am the only person remaining in the developed world that has not beaten koopa.

steveanne

I loved Mr. Do... Loved it.
Also liked Burger Time, Tron, Moon Patrol, Elevator Action, and Star Wars.

boiker

Cyburbian
i'm getting pixelated

anyone remember "pro baseball" on the atari 2600? Red team vs. Blue team. the batter looked like a 'G'

also Spider Fighter, Megamania, Space Invaders.