• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Favorite Palm Applications

Ok, so I have my beloved Palm Zire. Now what to do with it? There are 8 million sites with freeware and shareware, but i don't want to junk up my desktop. So what are everyone's favorite applications?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
there is a program that lets you store photos, cant recall the name but thats nice, i can talk about a friend and someone wont know their name but the face and i can show them who im talking about.

also the game bejewled is fun

hehe or palmasutra *wink*

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Had to be said...

I heard El Guapo's favorite "palm application" leads to blindness

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I got a Zire for x-mas and my favorite thing is AvantGo (www.avantgo.com) which allows you to select different news and commentary "channels" including Planetizen. They have hundreds of channels to choose from. It updates on each hotsync. I like being able to read news, etc while eating breakfast or anywhere else . There is another one called mobipocket that I haven't tried yet.

I also like quickword, which allows you to read e-books on the Zire.

I know that sites like download.com have tons of free shareware games and applications. A friend of mine gave me a cd with a ton of games and e-books that I need to try.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
I'll second the nomination for AvantGo. I have my Palm set to download several channels - news mostly - and I synch right before I have to go to a meeting, especially department head meetings. When the golf course superintendent is talking about sharpening the reels on the mowers, I'm happily reading MSNBC or The Economist!

I've had AvantGo on my Palm for a while. It's a great application, but you really need to sync every day in order to download updated news.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Had to be said...

bturk said:
I'm going to respect your experience in this area...and leave this issue in your hands. ;)
(The sad part is I'm damn near 40 and I'm using material learned in high school)

FYI - El Guapo has actually migrated back to a paper planner and is looking to sell his palm m105.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Had to be said...

bturk said:
Dude, you stole my idea! I just saw this thread, and the first thing I thought was "His favorite palm application is Jergens."

(runs from bulletin board)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
There is a game called Dope Wars for the Palm, where you are trying to make it in the drug world. Seems to be a popular "hit" with the palm crowd. I may have to check it out.