• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Favorite radio stations

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
What radio stations do you like where you are or where have been?

Give the reason(s) why and where the radio stations are.

Me:
I love WXRT - 93.1 here in Chicagoland. They play a great selection of great music styles within the rock paradigm. Right now, they are doing a "Friday Artist Feature" of Bob Marley. This is an amazing station and gets live in-studio recordings from create artists all the time. Not to mention recording and airing local concerts.

I also really liked Michigan Radio - 91.7. An NPR affliate out of Ann Arbor. When they shifted to mostly talk shows, it was great. Great nationally broadcast shows like Sound & Spirit, American Routes, and Talk of the Nation along with the locally produced ones. WBEZ - 91.5 here in Chicago is good, but they have many more music oriented shows, which are OK, but they mostly do blues and jazz, which are two music styles I'm not really into.

What about the vastness of cyburbia?

boiker

Cyburbian
i agree with xrt in chicago, Mendelman. good stuff.

If i feel like harder rock.. it's WJJO out of Madison.. Probably the best Metal/Hard Rock station in the country.

In Central Illinois, 9.99 the 'X'....it's good sold rock.. btw, isn't there a TON of stations that refer to themselves as the "X"?

AM radio....670AM - The Score out of Chicago.

nerudite

Cyburbian
KCRW in Los Angeles is probably #1. Very eclectic, and in a good way.

I used to love 91X (San Diego) growing up... it was a real treat when I could get it all the way from L.A. It was pretty cutting edge in the 80s, but I hear it's standard alternative stuff now.

Usually I end up liking certain djs or programs on radio stations these days. TheEnd (Seattle) used to have a great dj named Marco that would have really good electronic music hours and would mix some of his own stuff. I stopped listening when he left.

Right now I listen most consistently to a crap rock station in Edmonton (the Bear) and the local public/university radio station, CJSR. They have some good travel programs and decent music from time to time. And it's not the same mind-numbing butt-rock that seems to dominate the airwaves around here.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
In the New York Metro area in the 70's it was WNEW 102.7 FM - was great not now.
On Long Beach Island it WMMR 93.3 out of Philly.
When I was in Denver it was KBCO 97.3 out of Boulder and now gone KAZY.

I must being getting older/mature B-)
mostly listen to Indiana NPR

michaelskis

Cyburbian
WGLQ, WTIQ, WCMM, WCHT, WGKL... all in central upper michigan...

I am bias though, my Dad is program director and part owner of them...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The guy I share an office with plays an oldies station. Fine with me. I find that as you get older, you start losing interest in music. I have no clue about the radio stations around here, or what is playing. Something I never would have predicted way back when.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
What radio stations do you like where you are or where have been?

Give the reason(s) why and where the radio stations are.

Me:
I love WXRT - 93.1 here in Chicagoland. They play a great selection of great music styles within the rock paradigm. Right now, they are doing a "Friday Artist Feature" of Bob Marley. This is an amazing station and gets live in-studio recordings from create artists all the time. Not to mention recording and airing local concerts.
?
Ahh, 'XRT. I remember them fondly from my trips to Chicago back in the late 1980s. They were playing that great progressive music even back then, years before all those other stations jumped on the bandwagon.

But I thought they switched format. What kind of music do they play.

H

Cyburbian
i pretty much listen to the local NPR stations where ever I am. However, one particular radio station i want to share is a bluegrass sation WDVX out of Knoxville, TN.

check them out live on their website if you like bluegrass

http://www.wdvx.com/

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
In the morning on the way to work: WBCN out of Boston for Howard Stern.

Rest of the day, WEEI Sports Radio from Boston.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
In the New York Metro area in the 70's it was WNEW 102.7 FM - was great not now.
On Long Beach Island it WMMR 93.3 out of Philly.
I must being getting older/mature B-)
mostly listen to Indiana NPR
We've got to be about the same age. WNEW was THE station growing up. Do you remember when they gave away the porsches? Tom Waits "The Diner " at 5 : 5 5 am was the best way to get the day going.

I mostly listen to NPR now, or CD.
Anybody have satellite radio?

EDIT:typed in the time above and it came out 5:55. A rather odd emoticon, IMO

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Super Amputee Cat said:
But I thought they switched format. What kind of music do they play.
As far as I know, WXRT is still has the same format. Electic rock styles: blues rock, rocky bluegrass, great classic rock, regge-rock, etc. You know, all variations on the 'rock' theme.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Well I have a whole bank of memory channels on my car radio dedicated to the Northeast Public Radio network, WAMC...hands down at the top of public radio stations! :-D

WAMC, 90.3 FM, Albany NY; WAMC, 1400AM, Albany NY; WAMK, 90.9 FM, Kingston NY; WOSR, 91.7 FM, Middletown NY; WCEL, 91.9 FM, Plattsburgh NY; WCAN, 93.3 FM, Canajoharie NY; WANC, 103.9 FM, Ticonderoga NY; WAMQ, 105.1 FM, Great Barrington MA;

And translators on

W205AJ, 88.9 FM, Oneonta NY; W226AC, 93.1 FM, Rensselaer-Troy NY; W299AG, 107.7 FM, Newburgh NY; W220CE 91.9, Southington CT

Then when it comes fund drive time I listen to
WQBK 103.9 FM, Albany for Howard Stern in the moring
WEQX 102.7 FM, Manchester, VT for good rock
WPYX 106.5 FM, Albany for classic rock
...and to hear what the right-wing (and Albany's mayor) as to say its talk radio WROW 590 AM, Albany

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Gedunker said:
We've got to be about the same age.
WNEW was THE station growing up. Do you remember
1. Graduated HS in 1976.
2. Alison Steele - The Night Bird

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
NPR or Michigan Public Radio mostly.

When I workout I sometimes listen to Top 40, but that is only because that is what the Gym plays.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
1. Graduated HS in 1976.
2. Alison Steele - The Night Bird
Yes, yes yes! That has been bugging me for years!
Graduated HS '78.

biscuit

Cyburbian
The sorry state of radio today means that I'm usually listening to CD's when I'm in the car, which is not very often during the week. There are a few stations that I'll listen too on occasion or while on road trips.

105.9 WXDX in Pittsburgh - Yet another Clear Channel owned "X" station. They usually play awful nu-metal alternative but on Sunday nights they actually get around to spining some new truly aternative rock music.

91.3 WYEP - A member supported station in Pittsburgh. Very eclectic playlist from bluegrass to 80s -90s progressive rock to This American Life. A pretty good station, although a little liberal crunchy at times.

West Virginia Public Radio - Don't know why, or even really how, but West Virginia has some of the best public radio programming around. I'd suggest giving it a listen if you're ever driving through the Mountain State.

88.7 WNCW - A college station that broadcast throughout Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, and Upstate South Carolina. Good mountain music and progressive rock, usually heavy on regional artists.

88.1 WSBF - Clemson University's station. The usual college produced fare. One rule the station used to have is that they will not play a song that is in rotation on MTV. The only decent rock station in that radio market.

96.1 WAVE - One of the last independent rock stations left. I used to listen to this Charleston, SC station all the time while in college. Their playlist used to consist of artist ranging from Pearl Jam and punk to groups like Wilco and Son Volt.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Milwaukee radio stinks. We have 91.7 WMSE, a local college station and they are pretty good, but the commercial stations are absolutely terrible. We have one station that still plays 80s hair metal, but none that play anything remotely decent. The only other local stations I listen to are talk radio or Espn Radio.

While at work I listen to Netscape Radio Plus (thanks to Big Easy King's recommendation) and just recently I have started listening to BBC radio over the internet (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio) especially Radio 6, which plays a great mix of alternative, britpop, punk, indie, and all kinds of other stuff.

Here is the tracklisting for the last hour or so:

Delays - Long Time Coming (13:40)
Roxy Music - Both Ends Burning (13:46)
The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored (13:57)
The Verve - Lucky Man (14:00)
P J Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise (14:07)
P J Harvey - A Perfect Day Elise (14:10)
Joe Jackson - Fools In Love (BBC session) (14:13)
The Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life (14:18)
The Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life (14:19)
Stills - Lola Stars And Stripes (14:27)
The Coral - Dreaming Of You (14:35)
Comsat Angels - Independence Day (14:38)
Rapture - Love Is All (14:43)
Los Lobos - One Time One Night (14:46)
Bloc Party - She's Hearing Voices (14:52)
Pulp - Pencil Skirt (BBC session) (14:56)
Death Cab For Cutie - The New Year (15:34)
Paul Mccartney And Wings - Jet (15:44)
Paul Mccartney And Wings - Jet (15:44)
The Strokes - Last Nite (15:53)

I love LA's KCRW, unfortunately, it has not been streaming through RadioNetscape for about 2 weeks now and I'm going through SEVERE withdrawal.

Since almost all of the commercial radio stations in New Orleans are owned by Clear Channel, they all suck. The best local radio station is WWOZ. They play a good mix of local dixie and modern jazz, brass bands, blues, etc.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Since almost all of the commercial radio stations in New Orleans are owned by Clear Channel, they all suck. The best local radio station is WWOZ. They play a good mix of local dixie and modern jazz, brass bands, blues, etc.
I agree! WWOZ is a community-supported station run by volunteers. It's a classic N.O. station with world grooves also. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I can't do the streaming audio thing at work. I tend to listen to the following on my battered clock-radio:

Jazz FM (91.1)
CBC Radio (99.1)
The Edge (102.1)

The Edge (CFNY) was traditionally Toronto's "New Rock/Alternative" station. In the last year or so they started becoming more of a "top 40" alternative station - playing the same stuff over and over again. They just hired a new program director and there seems to be a bit of a shift occuring, which is great.
I also really like the "History of New Music" show done on Sunday nights - they do some really good profiles/histories.

donk

Cyburbian
The old CFNY with Chris Sheppard on Saturday nights and Deadly Headly were old faithful. listening tot eh Smiths, Noew Order and weird dance mixes as he pretended to get high. Ah misspent youth.

I can't wait to move someplace with multiple radio stations. Right now I have a choice of CBC, the local rotten Top 40 station or a new christian rock station. If teh weather cooperates I get a few others.

When I lived in Windsor I listened to WRIF, and 89 X. For Plannergirl, 89X used to sponsor fashion shows at the State Theatre in Detroit. I went to one and have never seen so much latex and leather in one place.

BKM

Cyburbian
Mostly listen to CDs, but:

KGO yes, i like (blush) some talk radio. Given that it's the (liberal) Bay Area, KGO is more 'balanced' than some really scary talk radio stations.

KDVS- a great college station.

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
KDVS- a great college station.
I revise my list to include my alma mater's radio station as suggested by BKM. Good call... one of the best college station's I've ever heard (but I'm a bit biased). :)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
WVFS - the Voice of Florida State is still my favorite radio station. But college radio stations are usually great. I am still looking for my second favorite station.

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Graduated HS '78.
I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye way back then :-D

There is only one radio station for me -sure you can get others but this ones kicks a**. Plays heaps of wicked local music and alternative stuff.

www.radioactive.fm

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I usually call in on my cell phone and request more songs by Godsmack, Brittney, and 50-Cent 'cause I can't get enough! :) Really I listen to anything - trying to get reception to little college stations that aren't playing the same stuff again and again. I have few outlets for good new music - no extra money for CD's, no broadband at home.

Do other major Ivy League schools have terrible radio stations like Brown? They're just like any other Clear Channel modern rock station. They're definitely not targeting their own students.

Planderella said:
I love LA's KCRW, unfortunately, it has not been streaming through RadioNetscape for about 2 weeks now and I'm going through SEVERE withdrawal.

Since this old thread has been revisited, I'll update my favorite radio stations. It's STILL KCRW. I listen to a stream through their website - www.kcrwmusic.com. About 75% of the new music that I've purchased in the past several months have been from artists that I've heard on this station. They also have several podcasts on iTunes, so I've been listening to those as well. I also subscribe to some other radio stations' podcasts like CitySoul from the Seattle area (KBCS 91.3) and a BBC station. If it wasn't for the morning talk show that I listen to on the way to work, I would almost never tune into a local broadcast radion station, outside of WWOZ which I mentioned in my first post.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We have a new(ish) radio station here in Edmonton that has surplanted the other two on my list. I now listen to Sonic 102.9 almost exclusively. Their morning guy has a sarcastic, dry sense of humour that I love. And it's nice to wake up to something like Luscious Jackson instead of Nickleback. Thanks Sonic... you made living in Alberta much easier!!!

I still listen to CJSR from time to time, usually for Radio Outpost... which is an excellent backpacker/budget travel/adventure travel program.

cch

Cyburbian
WCPT 850 - Chicago's Progressive Talk is what I've usually got on in the car. They play Air America Radio all day. Though I am extremely liberal, sometimes the liberal talk depresses me, so I switch it over to Madison's WJJO. Like Boiker said, they rock. I can't stand the top 40 crap out there.

njm

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
I can't do the streaming audio thing at work. I tend to listen to the following on my battered clock-radio:

Jazz FM (91.1)
CBC Radio (99.1)
The Edge (102.1)

Depending on the day, I get 102.1 in Rochester (other side of the lake)

I usually listen to WRUR (University of Rochester/New York Public Radio), WBER (Monroe Community College) will work in a pinch--sometimes they play too much emo-teen music, (depending on the DJ)

Other than that it's CD's at work and Last.fm streaming radio at home (hooray broadband!)

Saturdays I listen to SR P1 (Swedish Radio) to hear about events as they happen in the other hemisphere.

BKM

Cyburbian
cch said:
WCPT 850 - Chicago's Progressive Talk is what I've usually got on in the car. They play Air America Radio all day. Though I am extremely liberal, sometimes the liberal talk depresses me, so I switch it over to Madison's WJJO. Like Boiker said, they rock. I can't stand the top 40 crap out there.
I like Randi Rhodes, but that's about it. I was a nerd who got picked on in high school, but I STILL want to PUNCH some of their uber-nerd announcers (I love his books, but Al Franken grates on my nerves to listen to him).

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
97.9 The Loop...Chicago's Best New and Classic Rock.
Really, it's the only pure hard rock station in Chicago. My ultimate favorite. I am a Loyal Looper. :-$ :)

95.1 WIIL Rock.
Rock station based out of Kenosha. A little harder, and plays more newer stuff than the Loop does.

97.1 The Drive
A classic rock station out of Chicago, that plays almost anything rock or easy listening from the 1960s and 1970s. Basically, timeless classics.

There's also this awesome album rock station from the Tampa/Sarasota area that I remember from going there. I don't remember what it's called though.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Toledo & Southeastern Michigan Radio

During the 1960's, AM radio was it. This Bear listened to WTOD for years, because they played a lot of what is now called "garage rock and roll". The station is so underpowered, even now, they sign-off at dusk due to night time signal strength overlap. Of course, they stopped playing rock and roll years ago.

A great competitor during those years was Windsor, Ontario's CKLW, a 50-watt giant known as "The Big Eight". Many a day at Gem Beach I had to shake the yellow sand out of my transistor radio after spending the hot afternoon listening to "The Big Eight". (Windsor is across the Detroit River from Motown.)

Since the early 1970's I have been a fan of Toledo's rock and roll giant, WIOT. This FM station has slipped quite a bit in the last few years, playing way too much "play list" stuff that was generated by a computer in some other city (with the corporate headquarters).

Another station I have enjoyed is Detroit's WRIF, a rock and roll station. Detroit also has a good jazz station, I think it is WJZZ. It is hard to pick-up here in northwestern Ohio, but I still try.

When I travel through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I usually listen to a powerful rock and roll station......might be called "The Rock" or "The Mountain" or some such thing. I usually just surf until I find it. Of course, now I should search for WSTAN (Escanstanba). ;)

Every night I hit the sack listening to WBBM (AM) in Chicago. Especially like the program at Midnight (CDT) with the old radio programs.

Bear

TOFB

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I like Randi Rhodes, but that's about it. I was a nerd who got picked on in high school, but I STILL want to PUNCH some of their uber-nerd announcers (I love his books, but Al Franken grates on my nerves to listen to him).
I get pretty depressed too, but hardly switch off of XM Satellite channel 167 (air america). Other faves on XM: 4, 6, 7, 25, 40, 46, 49, 50, 64, 70-76. I used to like the comedy channels but there were too many F-Bombs even for me.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I could shoot myself. Until about 10 years ago, I had a canister with about 5 years of top-40 weekly play lists from the Orlando AM station in the late '60's to early '70's. Probably the only copies around. Another thing the -ex absconded with.

No favorite station. My kid won't let me play the radio in the car. Has always hated it.

plankton

Cyburbian
ESPN radio on a local affiliate during week days.

KGO (AM 810) out of San Francisco at night. Particularly, Bernie Ward from 10PM-1AM.

NPR/Oregon Public Broadcasting on the weekends and some evenings (only place on the dial to get decent music here in smalltown, usa)

Air America (AM 620) when in Portland.

Past loves (from Detroit): 89X out of Windsor, WJR, and WDFN.

tsc

Cyburbian
I have several I listen to...

107.1 The Peak,,, great mix of all sorts of rock
90.7 WFUV... an NPR station that plays folk-rock.

I do listen to 102.7 in NY....I didn't know it when JNL listened to it..... I usually only listen when I want to hear some old 90's dance music...they just repeat way too much.

I also listen to 101.1 Jack fm. I like the ipod format of train wrecking.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
tsc said:
I do listen to 102.7 in NY....I didn't know it when JNL listened to it.....
Sorry tsc but JNL lives in New Zealand, so I don't believe she has ever listen to WNEW.
However; I listen back in early/mid 70's, when it was the rock station.

tsc

Cyburbian
lol...got my J's mixed up....short term memory! Funny thing is...I first typed JNA...and I changed it!

JNA said:
Sorry tsc but JNL lives in New Zealand, so I don't believe she has ever listen to WNEW.
However; I listen back in early/mid 70's, when it was the rock station.

Bubba

Cyburbian
WSB (750 AM) during the morning commute (traffic and weather every six minutes, as they like to boast).

WRAS when I'm alone in the car any other time ("Album 88" - the student station at Georgia State University - http://www2.gsu.edu/~www885/).

99x (god awful "alternative/modern rock" station) when Mrs. Bubba is in the car, so I don't have to listen to her complain about WRAS playing "weird stuff". The only redeeming thing about 99x is their noontime "retro" show that usually has a few punk, post-punk and new-wave gems.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Always Tuned In!

As a devoted Colorado 'jazzer,' I'm locked on to KUVO 89.3, http://www.kuvo.org
They consistently program solid and excellent offerings of jazz, blues, and latin.
I sometimes catch KUNC 91.5 out of Greeley, where you can hear a diverse range of musical programming - like 'American Roots' and 'Studio 360.'

zman

Cyburbian
Miles Ignatius said:
I sometimes catch KUNC 91.5 out of Greeley, where you can hear a diverse range of musical programming - like 'American Roots' and 'Studio 360.'
I had KUNC playing this morning, mainly for that "Liberal Vestage of Hate Speech" known as NPR. ;) KUNC, despite the name, is not affiliated with the university that turned out such famous (and handsome!;) ) free thinkers and idealists as The One and ZMan!
The music is pretty good on there as well, but as I only really listen to the radio on my commute, it is usually this station and the news.

Miles, you can get KUNC is Denver? Driving down to the Mile High City, I usually lose my connection at about 120th Ave. You must have a nice radio!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
For the Colorado residents (both past and current) -

KBCO one of the better stations ? ;
Anybody remember KAZY ?;
KOA for sports ?

zman

Cyburbian
JNA said:
For the Colorado residents (both past and current) -

KBCO one of the better stations ? ;
Anybody remember KAZY ?;
KOA for sports ?
KBCO is still around and is my main music choice on the FM dial.
KAZY? 106.7 Kick Ass Radio! Yes I remember them from my youth. They were the rock mainstay with KBPI, who has since switch to 106.7, but still Rocks the Rockies KAZY, sadly, is no more and has been gone for probably 13 years.
KOA just plays Broncos and Rockies games (and maybe CU Football?). But is VERY conservative during the day. Something MSkis', or Illinoisplanner may listen to as they drive to meet me for a beer!

JNA, we're you around when the Top 40 station was Y108? THAT was a loooooong time ago. Back when Denver was emerging from Cow Town to City. ;)

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Loud N' Clear!

zmanPLAN said:
Miles, you can get KUNC is Denver? Driving down to the Mile High City, I usually lose my connection at about 120th Ave. You must have a nice radio!
I guess I've lived a charmed life; the radio in my 97' Camry pulls it in quite nicely and at home in Southglenn, my Marantz 2245 (circa 1973) receiver with a Radio Shack cheapo dipole antenna works well, too.

KUNC does a great job - a refreshing departure from the solely NPR dictated programming you get on Colorado Public Radio....

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
zmanPLAN said:
KOA just plays Broncos and Rockies games (and maybe CU Football?). But is VERY conservative during the day. Something MSkis', or Illinoisplanner may listen to as they drive to meet me for a beer!
Well, considering the last time I was in Colorado, I was 6 years old...I may have to go back there sometime. :)