• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Favorite Styles (Inspired by the Ikea Thread)

Which is your favorite style?

• Colonial (think Williamsburg)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Victorian (The 1900 House)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Arts & Crafts (Stickley, Greene & Greene)

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Art Deco (Erte)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Art Moderne (1950's)

• Contemporary (Is this a real style?)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Country (hearts, pastels, flea markets)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scandanavian/Modern (Ikea)

• Eastern/Asian/Import (Pier 1, Cost Plus)

• Regional American (western, northwoods, et al.)

• Particle Board (Wal-Mart)

• Fetish (leather, latex, restraints ;) )

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The suggestion was made, so here's the poll. How would you choose to decorate your home? (This should be interesting, since it can be assumed that planners have some design talent.)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Although I love Ikea, my favorite style is Arts and Crafts. Much of my house has pieces of Arts and Craft inspired furniture and my husband and I keep leaning that way every time we look for new furniture. I find Ikea is great for the little accents that go around the house, like lighting, rugs, linens, kitchen stuff, and storage units/products. The items are durable and inexpensive.

BKM

Cyburbian
I prefer modernist furniture (Corbu lounge chair, Mies Barcelona chair, ten-year-old-but-still-solid Scandinavian Design leather sofa, etc.). I accent this stuff with (my) photographs and pottery/glassware.

As for exteriors, that wasn't generally the high point of modern design :) Developing some taste for Eichler houses from the 1950s and 1960s.

I generally like Arts and Crafts exteriors, but I find the furniture and dark woodwork and cozy interior lighting too gloomy and heavy.

I really like the simplicity and elegance and lightness of early REAL Georgian/Federal architecture ("Colonial" style). Not too much of that out here :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Marry me BKM

I was formulating my post and you took every sentiment I would have typed except for the Eichler.

Jen

Cyburbian
One style? Arts and Craft ,Country (antiques) art deco modern. and in the spring garage sale? flea market stuff.

Runner

Cyburbian
I voted Arts & Crafts like the majority. I guess that should not have surprised me. Although I do have a fondness for several other listed styles.

donk

Cyburbian
I voted A&C, then BKM reminded me how much I like the look of some of mies' furniture and the simply lines and forms of stainless steel and leather.

I think a careful and subtle combination of both would be best. ie I have a wingbacked chair that would look ok with a glass and steel framed table or with a simple ebony table.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
yes we should be able to pick more than one style-i know various rooms of my home are done various was-mostly arts and crafts or traditional but there is the ultra modern bath with chrome, black red and white etc-then the...other room is well heheh

jmf

Cyburbian
What do I like? Clean lines, simple, classic styles.

What do we have? A hodgepodge of arts & crafts, mid-1800s antiques and modern reproductions/wannabes

We are lucky in that parents, grandparents are downsizing so we have not bought a lot of furniture but what we have doesn't necessarily work together. Soon we will have to pick and choose what we want to keep.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I really love Art Deco...but of course, I don't have any Art Deco furniture.

My wife and I figure our design style will match whatever real estate we end up with. Loft=modernist. Older house=older style. We both prefer modern/contemporary styles...although we both love antiques too. Our house is going to be a mess, I can see it.

One thing we both agree on:

NO COUNTRY!!!!!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I picked Colonial, but really like a variety. Not into modern or anything after say 40's.

We go to a lot of auctions and estate sales to get a lot of stuff, mainly wood furniture/accessories.

I really like primitive wood furniture - benches, stools, etc.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I chose colonial, because if we could afford it, and if James ever begins to like walnut and cherry, that's what we'll have. Hell, once we can afford to do our entire house in colonial that's how it's going to be.

Right now we've got mostly Ikea and clean lines. I do love the look, but.. hell, anything I say at this point is going to have me giggling... ;)

"I love dark wood"
"I love big, solid wood pieces"
"You stick me in a room with colonial wood and..."

Ok, need to go now..

donk

Cyburbian
TP was emphatic
NO COUNTRY!!!!!
What none of those stupid stuffed bunnies, cheesy wallpaper borders, wreaths or tole painting?

I am with you on this one. Real country on the other hand, muddy kitchen floors, dog hair and slobber, lamb living in the dining room, needles and vaccines on the boot rack I can live with.

BKM

Cyburbian
Anything but Victorian!

I can appreciate arts and crafts and "colonial."

ANYTHING but overwrought Victorian! Although I like the rows of Victorians in San Francisco (it would take a pretty BIG lottery prize to buy one), I hate the overdone furniture.

I voted arts and crafts, but we're really very eclectic. I just like to be comfortable. the only furniture we've ever purchased is our downstairs dining room set (yes - we have two dining rooms sets - the other, our "nice" one in our real dining room is from rob's parents and we're just storing it until rob's sister has a house to put it in) which came from the Anderson, SC jockey lot and i really love, all cherry and dark green. and our family room furniture - gigantic squashy couches and dark wood end and coffee tables.

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, that one would certainly pique my ardor, too. But I was thinking of the Streetcar Named Desire looking image?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Everyone of the rooms in my house that I have control over are decorated in firetrucks...the ones I don't have control over...A & C.

biscuit

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
I voted arts and crafts, but we're really very eclectic. I just like to be comfortable. the only furniture we've ever purchased is our downstairs dining room set (yes - we have two dining rooms sets - the other, our "nice" one in our real dining room is from rob's parents and we're just storing it until rob's sister has a house to put it in) which came from the Anderson, SC jockey lot and i really love, all cherry and dark green. and our family room furniture - gigantic squashy couches and dark wood end and coffee tables.
I'd have to say that, like most here, Arts and Crafts is my favorite one style but I only own one peice of arts & crafts furniture-a wood box. My overall style tends to be very eclectic with mostly modern IKEA style furniture mixed with hand me downs, architectual peices and antiques. my favorite of which is an almost beux-arts style lamp that belonged to my great-grandmother.

KMeteja:
I also bought a few antiques at the Anderson Jockey Lot but most came from the, always crowded but always good, Pickens Flee Market, or shops on Main Street Walhalla. Did you ever get a chance to check these places out while you were in Anderson?

Last edited:

Queen B

Cyburbian
I voted Victorian.
I have owned a number of them. Queed Anne style.
Mostly because of room size. We are just getting ready to buy an Arts & Crafts. So most of my antiques will work. What else do you think they used to decorate with... old victorian furniture.
But I just bought a set of mission tables for the livingroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.