• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Favorite Thanksgiving sides?

What are your favorite sides at Thanksgiving (top 4)

• Stuffing from inside the turkey

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Dressing cooked separate from the turkey

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • mashed potatoes

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • potato gratin or some creamy potato dish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sweet potatoes/yams with marshmallows or and/or pralines

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • sweet potatoes/yams/squash made savory

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • onion dish

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • baked beans

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • green bean casserole

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • brussel sprouts

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • salad (don't)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • ziti and sauce

• dinner rolls

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • carrot dish

• corn dish

• macaroni and cheese

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • cranberry sauce from the can

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • cranberry sauce homemade

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • fruit, cheese and nut course

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • olive and celery tray

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Favorite top 4 sides for Thanksgiving - post your others below I may have forgotten or not known about (in advance, those might be weird, so...)

Also gravy is an assumed side

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I voted for the dressing and stuffing, sweet potatoes, and celery and olive tray. I had forgotten about celery and olives. I would just call it the relish tray and also include pickles. I don't know that I'd call it a side though as we always had that out to snack on as soon as guests began arriving (along with a tray of sausage and cheese and nuts).

Another couple great sides that I didn't see listed but I always enjoy:
  • Cucumber salad (I don't know the proper name but it's cucumbers and onions in vinegar with a bit of sugar and pepper)
  • Marinated mushrooms

We never did mac and cheese as a Thanksgiving side but I'd definitely be down for that if it is a good homemade one, maybe made with some sort of fancy cheeses in it.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Oh, and can we finally agree once and for all that green bean casserole is disgusting?

I can't. Some are truly disgusting but my mom always made a really good one with French style green bean. It's only good when it's hot the first time though. But with the the friend onions on top toasted just right, yum.

My family also made really good stuffing/dressing. Although to be honest, where I'm from we called it "filling". I like it in the bird and also baked in a dish. Good mashed potatoes and gravy is my absolute favorite thing though.

kms

Cyburbian
I can't. Some are truly disgusting but my mom always made a really good one with French style green bean. It's only good when it's hot the first time though. But with the the friend onions on top toasted just right, yum.

My family also made really good stuffing/dressing. Although to be honest, where I'm from we called it "filling". I like it in the bird and also baked in a dish. Good mashed potatoes and gravy is my absolute favorite thing though.
My former husband's grandmother called it "filling", too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't know why my wife continues to insist that we make this every year.
Same here. I like the fried onion crunchies on top, but hate the mushy texture of the green beans and mushroom soup. If I want fried onion crisps I'll eat them out of the can not on top of soggy beans thank you.

btrage

Cyburbian
Same here. I like the fried onion crunchies on top, but hate the mushy texture of the green beans and mushroom soup. If I want fried onion crisps I'll eat them out of the can not on top of soggy beans thank you.
I have been known to use the uneaten green been casserole as part of the filling for a turkey pot pie made from Thanksgiving leftovers.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a little perplexed that so many people like stuffing outside of the turkey - it's just bread baked with a bunch of crap, people - the point of stuffing is the flavors it gets from the bird

I grew up with cranberry sauce in a can and I love it but I married into a dominatingly family who only will eat home made cranberry sauce but I like that too

MD Planner

Cyburbian
You can use drippings from the bird to flavor the stuffing you don't put in it.

In actuality I prefer cranberry relish to cranberry sauce. It's fresher and more tart, not as sweet.

And I know I have posted this before but it's one of my favorite bits from The West Wing. Enjoy the brilliance of Aaron Sorkin:

Old Planner

I like it made from scratch with fresh or frozen whole green beans, homemade creamy mushrooms (mushrooms, shallots, butter, cream), and panka breaded onion rings (frozen aisle).

TOFB

Cyburbian
I will miss the giant pans of stuffing my wife's aunts make. And our mac and cheese is always destroyed after the first 20 through the line.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

This map highlights the most popular Thanksgiving sides in each state​

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I chose dinner rolls though are bread was always served in loaf form. My mom always used the same bread recipe, I think it was called Pulla Bread and was Finnish, I know it had a stick or two of butter kneaded into the batter. Apparently it is actually a dessert bread, though we never added anything to it, and would just serve it with dinner.

TOFB

Cyburbian

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
peas, I forgot peas!

still taken aback that people really like the stuffing cooked outside of the turkey and macaroni and cheese as a side doesn't feel right to me but I am one of the few people that loves to make baked beans from scratch to go with turkey - sometimes I wait to make them the day after thanksgiving to be part of the leftovers

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Taters, petite peas, and homemade cranberry sauce are my only sides.

Gravy is gross and makes me want to vomit because it looks like vomit. 🤮

Ditto on the gravy.

I realized that if I were hosting Thanksgiving for my extended family and I was also making mashed potatoes, gravy wouldn't even be on my radar. Like, the guests would show up and ask where's the gravy and my initially thought would be, "Huh?"

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian

This map highlights the most popular Thanksgiving sides in each state​

I dispute that corn is the most popular in Iowa. Just because we grow a lot of it does not mean we eat it all the time.

I voted for mashed potatoes, but I like the party potato variety made with sour cream and cream cheese.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dispute that corn is the most popular in Iowa. Just because we grow a lot of it does not mean we eat it all the time.

I voted for mashed potatoes, but I like the party potato variety made with sour cream and cream cheese.

We make our mashed potatoes with either a pinch of nutmeg, or, mashed celery root

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I have not partaken of stuffing from inside the bird since the late 1908s. Since going off to college (no Thanksgiving visits) and since having been married, my wife and MIL refuse. My mother always makes stuffing this way and never did anyone get sick (the argument for not stuffing the bird...it's called stuffing for a reason). We still make her stuffing recipe, however. Bag of Pepperidge Farms cubed seasoned stuffing (Pepperidge Farms remembers) made to instructions but add apples and Jimmy Dean sage sausage. Usually add poultry seasoning, too.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian

When I lived in DSM, I don't recall ever having corn at Thanksgiving. We ate plenty in the summer, however.

TOFB

Cyburbian

And only a tiny fraction of the crop is sweet corn for human consumption. I like sweet corn but rarely eat more than 6-8 ears a year.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
For our sides this year, we are having mashed potatoes, roasted carrots, squash casserole, box stuffing (just because I had a coupon and it was free and I won't make it any other time)... and either drop biscuits or dinner rolls depending on how motivated I am tonight. I have both canned and fresh cranberries - I was going to make oat squares with them, but I may just hold off until next week for that.

This is all to go along with our crab cakes and not turkey.

Definitely not a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but we're still going all out for it with somewhat atypical food. I don't think any of the sides are out of the ordinary, I just failed to include a few of the standards!

Veloise

Cyburbian
#journalism

I'm real-life friends with a couple of the reporters. The one who lives in my fair city just posted a photo of a bike trailer with the grocery store turkey in it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
This years menu includes:
Turkey
stuffing (two different styles)
mashed potatoes
that stoopid green bean casserole
cranberry jelly (out of a can)
rolls
rutabagas
relishes (e.g. olives, carrot slices celery)
orange sherbet jello
cabbage salad
cottage cheese

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Should we start a thread for favorite Thanksgiving leftover dishes?

For me I like to do an open-faced turkey and gravy sandwich. I just had one for lunch, but I turned it up to 11: Instead of just turkey and gravy on toasted bread, I put it on a toasted deli roll. And I added some stuffing. Lastly, instead of my usual habit of eating it open faced with a fork and knife, I closed up the roll and ate it like a true sandwich, then had to pick up the leavings with a fork.

Yum.