• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

favorite toy

Floridays

Cyburbian
While I was home last week for the holidays, I noticed that my nephew (2 years) was NEVER without his "blankie." He carried that thing around constantly and started freaking if he couldn't find it.
Did you have a special toy or item that you couldn't live without when you were a kiddo?
Or, for those of you "parental units," do your kids have something similar?

Jeff

Cyburbian
My kid (7 mo.) has a piece of wrapping paper he just won't give up.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My son was dependent on his binkie. We have just 1 or 2 photos of him prior to age 2 without a binkie (wether in his mouth or his hand) and we have many photos of him with mutliple binks. He gave them up right before his second birthday.

My daughter spit her binkie out of her mouth while still in the hospital and never has used one. Now, at age 4 we just have to figure out how to separate her from her thumb...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I still have the purple bunny that I carried everywhere as a small child.

My now-10-year-old snagged a stuffed Barney toy off the shelf at a store when he was about 18 mos. old and was way attached to that for a couple of years.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I had a series of Tweeties when I was a kid, and for what it's worth, Dog #1 alternates between a rubber shoe and a rubber cat with half a tail, that he carries everywhere. Dog #2 has chosen Crackle Skunk, which has some sort of crankly stuff in it; she drags it around even though it's almost as big as she is.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Not me, but my oldest (2 yrs. on Jan. 1) love his "binky" and "blinky". His world is going to come crashing down as we are taking away the binky for his b-day. His favorite christmas present was a craftsman toy drill. He likes to drill everything from his younger brother to the dog.

otterpop

Cyburbian
My 2 1/2 year old son is obsessed with cars. He will not go to sleep unless he has a half-dozen or so Hot Wheels in the bed with him. He also has a stuffed sled dog he takes with him and sleeps with. The stuffed dog has a twin, which we switch around when one or the other gets too stinky.

When I was a kid, I had a pearl-handled cap pistol I was particularly fond of.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
DEATH ROW MARV! He's also my favorite office chatchke )sp?) You throw the switch and he's electrocuted. His eyes light up, he shakes, and then he laughs and says, "Haw Haw Haw....Is THAT ALL YOU GOT?! You pansies!" And then he goes limp.

donk

Cyburbian
As a kid I had a mr snuffalopogas stuffed doll. I still have him in a chest full of similar things(trophies from little league, pictures souvenirs from vacations).

My nephew has teh worst looking doll ever that he dragged everywhere. Here is the weird thing, he named it lazarus. No one knows where he got that name from.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Kylie still has her pink blankie.....which has been re-stitched at least 4 times.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
My oldest girl is almost 4 and still needs her cloud blanket but at least doesn't carry it everywhere anymore. She's very independent and realizes its babyish, so she makes these resolutions like "I don't need my blanket anymore." But then when she gets sleepy she sucks her finger with the blanket and can't give it up. When she started going to pre-school a compromise was to keep the blanket in her backpack but not take it out.

My 15 month old is obssessed with Backpack from Dora. One of her first words was seriously "backpack" because of the repetitive song on the show.

SGB

Cyburbian
About 8 years ago my parents had my teddy bear "rebuilt" at the teddy bear hospital, and gave it to me as a Christmas gift. It brought tears to my eyes.

Our 4 yr old son rotates amongst favorite stuffed animals. Lately its a toss-up between Leopard and Puppy. For the longest time his favorite was a beluga whale his aunt bought him at an aquarium two years ago. For reasons unknown to this day, he named it Q. (And no, he's not a STNG viewer.)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
My favorite toy was Rock em Sock em Robots. I could beat anybody--except my big brother.