• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Signs Feather Flag Signs

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Can someone tell me how you handle these in your sign code?

Feather-flag-white-SQS-10031.jpg

DVD

Cyburbian
We don't enforce our temp sign code heavily so they're around. Other places I worked banned them specifically due to wind load, lack of support, improper installation, etc. It was because of the potential of the sign to fly into the street.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We don't allow 'em. Defined as a freestanding sign and not a flag, if I recall. We have a handful and capture them through enforcement over time.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We prohibit them under "animated" sign.

I actually don't see their utility anyways, as they are effectively illegible all the time and since they're vertical they aren't easily read at the speed of traffic anyways.

I've come to the conclusion after 18 years of sign code management/enforcement that if you think many temp signs will or are actually helping your business, you're probably barely holding on.

Last edited:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We prohibit them under "animated" sign.

I actually don't see their utility anyways, as they are effectively illegible all the time and since their vertical they aren't easily read at the speed of traffic anyways.

I've come to the conclusion after 18 years of sign code management/enforcement that if you think many temp signs will or are actually helping your business, you're probably barely holding on.
A lot of them come in under "flag' exemptions in code that were intended to allow the old state/US flag display by right- which of course was then made content-neutral post Reed and a little more ambiguous- but if you define a flag as being mounted on a pole where the portion of the pole that does not hold the flag is at least 5x the length of the portion of the flag mounted to the pole, you close this loophole.

I have also heard these called "adversails" by industry types.

CityWoke

Animated, fluttering, moving sign. Not allowed. However we’ve allowed them if they are internal to the development. Also haven’t been enforcing during COVID.

bureaucrat#3

Not allowed. Given a pass during covid.
We've given a lot of passes, especially on temporary signage during COVID. For years many of the churches put out the feather signs Sunday morning and take them up after services.

I know this is switching topics a little, but is anyone tracking the on/off premise arguments for signs being content neutral. It looks like different appeals courts have ruled in opposite ways. I'd assume this means it will eventually make it to the Supreme Court. I hate signage.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We call them blades locally and they are not permitted. Enforcement is spotty, however.

Tobinn

Cyburbian
Prohibited
Section 3-1804. - Prohibited signs.
The following types of signs are prohibited:

A. Feather/flutter signs; wind-activated signs; air-dancer signs; sky-dancer signs.