• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Fence setback

The local city-county council is interested in examining a setback requirement for fences. Does your city/county use setbacks for fences? If yes what is typical setback in residential areas?

Thanks.

Paul Schoninger
paulas@lfucg.com
(859) 258-3208
(859) 258-3838 FAX

sal95

Cyburbian
In my community, fences that are 30 inches in height or greater can be along the rear and side property lines, but not within the 25 foot front yard setback. My first exception/variance case was for somebody who wanted to place the traditional white picket fence across his front yard. . . DENIED. Rough city.

sal95

Cyburbian
front yard

The front yard here (Manhattan, KS) is any yard that abutts a street. So, corner lots have 2 front yards. . . this is where most of the exceptions/variance requests come from.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We do not have any fence setback regulations - they can go right on the property line. Of course, I always advise them that they *really* should make sure where the property line is :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We allow for fences to be on the property line, but they must get each neighbor who abuts the fenced in area to sign off on it. If they don't sign off, we try and work out any issues.

It is more of a courtesy thing than actually getting permission. Sometimes I will get a call from an angry neighbor who refuses to sign off. When I tell them that they really can't stop them from erecting the fence, I am often faced with the predictable comment "why do you even give us the option to sign when the fence can go up anyways?"

nerudite

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
We do not have any fence setback regulations - they can go right on the property line. Of course, I always advise them that they *really* should make sure where the property line is :)
Yeah... that and if there are any utility easements along the fronts of their yards they may come home one day to find their fence on its side with some fresh dirt piled around it. I've seen it happen, it isn't pretty!