• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zoning Fenestration examples in a retail corridor

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone have any examples of fenestration before and after in a retail corridor - not a downtown, but more like a suburban 4 lane road environment.

What should the fenestration requirement be in this scenario?

Looking for photos or renderings -

thank you!

DVD

Cyburbian
Depends on what you want. If you pick any random suburban place in Phoenix (I would pick where newer development is happening - the edges) you'll get windows facing out toward the street and a general effort to put the back of house to the back of the street or at least the side. The problem is the businesses want the front door facing the parking lot.

If you go to north Scottsdale (AZ) you'll usually find some higher design requirements doing the same basic thing.

Example of good and bad. Longhorn put the door next to the street, but the parking is on the side and rear. Back of house lines up with parking.
The retail to the right is doing the fake back of house. I tried to get the building to turn sideways so the street would see the side of the building minimizing the profile and we could have done something to better screen the back.

Typical big shopping center with pad buildings. Good and bad examples. Take what you like.

This one uses giant landscape buffers to hide the retail Drive around and see the nice buildings.

Might be some better examples of forcing the back of house to the side or rear. Not my city and like anything you have to work with the project a little. Notice it's a lot of windows up front. When in doubt, they could be fake windows on a wall, but it looks better than a solid wall.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Does anyone have any examples of fenestration before and after in a retail corridor - not a downtown, but more like a suburban 4 lane road environment.

What should the fenestration requirement be in this scenario?

Looking for photos or renderings -

thank you!
What are your proposed regs? I haven't had to worry too much as most of our main corridor is built out although we have had some redevelopments. Give me a little more time and I'll provide some photo examples as well

Here are some similar regs from our Site Plan Design Guidelines:

(4) Blank walls (without openings) shall not be permitted on public faces of any building.
(5) The use of long unbroken building facades shall be avoided. Front building facades shall exhibit the use of recesses, fenestration, pilasters, or other architectural features deemed appropriate to provide character.
(6) The front door or main entrance to a building shall be visible from the street. An entrance to a public building shall be clear and visible and not obscured by building masses.
(16) Large Retail Establishment Standards shall apply to retail business where an individual tenant, owner, occupant, or business occupies more than 10,000 square feet. Large retail establishments shall also be subject to the following:
A. Facades greater than 100 feet in horizontal length shall incorporate wall plane projects or recesses having a depth of at least three percent (3%) of the length of the façade and extending at least twenty percent (20%) of the façade. No uninterrupted length of any façade shall exceed 100 horizontal feet. Facades that have no customer entrance are only visible from service areas and are screened from abutting properties and customer parking are exempt from this requirement.
B. Facades that face a public street shall have arcades, display windows, entry areas, awning or other such features along no less than sixty percent (60%) of their horizontal length.

Last edited:

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Actual examples from my community (both are redevelopment/outlot development):

Before
After

Before
After

These occurred within the last 6 years and under our regulatory scheme I provided up-thread and, luckily, these finished designs were the initial proposed exteriors from the developers. I didn't have to do any real wrangling about pilasters, canopies, glazing etc.