• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Feng Shui?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
about this article link and FAQ
how do you post articles from source that require registration,
so others can read just that article without having to register for that site?

Tom R

Cyburbian
site

JNA said:
about this article link and FAQ
how do you post articles from source that require registration,
so others can read just that article without having to register for that site?
I just copy the url and paste it here.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Feng Shui is mostly about making pleasant indoor places largerly used by interior designers, although I suppose you could use some of the same techniques for public spaces. Winifred Gallagher provides a succinct treatment of the subject in her book, "The Power of Place - How Our Surroundings Shape Our Thoughts, Emotions and Actions". It's all about getting a positive flow of chi.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian

this is what feng shui does...puts holes in buildings so that the dragon spirit from the mountain is not obstructed when trying to fly down to the water. that's hong kong fer ya. wonder what SF would look like with holes in the buildings. looks like a photoshop project...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry :-$
Still no article, just the NY Times registration site.

SGB

Cyburbian
JNA -

If you register once and have your browser set to accept cookies, you'll never have to register at the NYT site again.

Rem

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Feng Shui is mostly about making pleasant indoor places largerly used by interior designers, although I suppose you could use some of the same techniques for public spaces.
It is also used in landscape design. I used to see it a lot when I worked in Sydney - I thought the results were usually ugly. It is less common in the region where I work now but because of the often obtuse forms, strange colours, highly controlled plantings (nothing too organic looking seems acceptable) and use of masonry ornaments and ground covering it still grates, and looks ugly IMO.