• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Finally...an introduction

Grassroots

Cyburbian
hello everyone...i have been making some posts on here and not making a proper introduction; goes against my southern upbringing. i fall in line with the other guild of geographers-turned- planners. i am a virgo, born in the year of the rabbit and currently working as a peace corps volunteer in the former soviet republic of ukraine. i hail from the great and unfortunately sprawling state of north carolina. i am working like crazy on implementing western planning ideologies and concrete plans with regional and state governments here. after much animosity and being asked if i was a spy for the CIA by countless ukrainian officials, i just got my comprehesive regional development plan passed with the regional government here and in time for my completion of service. first time a foreigner (especially an american) conducted such a feat (and you thought planning boards were tough...whew). sorry had to blow my whistle a little bit. coming home in a few weeks after much needed r&r in western europe and starting the job hunt in the western part of the country. i am not limited by geography in my job hunt. if you guys were hiring, what would think about peace corps volunteer experience? i worked a lot in planning project management, international partnerships coordination (funding), and regional planning initiatives dealing mainly in economic development planning, infrastructure development, and community initiatives. just asking. i have been out of the american loop for while. also, i would also like to maybe continue in the international realm. APA put on its website that, apparently, china is hiring planning consultants like crazy. any idea where hiring information for these jobs may be? i checked the APA page and searched using a bunch of engines, but found little. advice will be well received. i look forward to getting to know the people here and can't wait to hear from you.

cheers!:B

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome!

As a fellow Geographer and proud to be "from" NC (hey i get to pick right?) its good to see a friendly carolina blue face i the crowd *pardon to any dookies ;-)*

Sounds like awsome work!

Enjoy your stay with us

PG

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
wow - sounds like you've achieved something to be proud of. So, can we expect strip-development to be coming to the Ukraine now? ;) "Look, comrade...new Denny's and an autozone!"

Enjoy your vacation, and good luck with the job search. If you're interested in working in another developing nation, Canada could use you!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. It sounds like you have had a very interesting experience. I wouldn't mind doing some work in a foreign country for a change. As far as the jobs go, you may have some more luck in the community development or economic development fields. You might also play on your strengths working with with different cultures. Many areas are looking for people who can work with large immigrant or minority groups.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I echo the sentiments that it sounds like an awesome experience. Congrats and thanks for introducing yourself.

donk

Cyburbian
welcome aboard,

if you want to live in a third word nation, may I suggest the maritime provinces. Here it is not uncommon to have to boil your water (even in the Cities), wait months to see a Doctor and get paid in a currency that is worth very little.

And if you are serious about alternative construction techniques let me know I have access to lots of info.