• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

First dates...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
...as inspired by the never ending internet joke thread...

On the first date, they just tell each other lies,
and that usually gets them interested enough to go for a second date.
First dates. Being recently single for the first time in...oh, about... 16 years.. I hate them.

So...lets share horror stories!

Ok, I'll bite. Probably my worst date occured when my best friend in high school, who was not allowed to go on a date without a chaperone, asked me to come along on a 'double date' with her -- as distraction for the chaperone. ;)

I think I was 16. He was, oh, early to mid 20's (which I hadn't expected -- and it bothered me). He spoke English as a second language (my best friend was Korean, and so was her boyfriend and the chaperone) and his English was rather poor. He worked on a farm -- actually, I think he lived on a farm and maybe his parents owned it -- so his hands were extremely calloused and rough. He held my hand throughout the entire movie and I think I have stripped furniture with sandpaper that was smoother and more caressable.

It was a meaningless, miserable evening for me but it allowed my best friend to have a private conversation with her boyfriend, 2 rows back, for the first time. To my horror, she told me later that the chaperone was very taken with me and wanted to see me again. I bet he never in his life held the hand of a girl before. I can't think of any other explanation.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ok… here it goes. Please keep your laughing to a minimum…

A few years ago, I agreed to go out with this girl, my friends asked me to take her out on a date because she was always clinging to this girl that my buddy was trying to hook up. (he called it jumping on the grenade for him) So she meets me at my place (she had a kid and did not want to freak him out by her leaving with some guy), We were going to go to a nice bar, she showed up in a pair of Pleather pants, and a shirt, that was nothing more than a wash cloth with a few strings attached. (Although she was petite, she did not have the body to pull something like that off). From the moment we got to bar, she drank like it was her 21st birthday. Oh and it was not beer, it was $8.00 glasses of Long Island Ice Tea and such. After one she became a massive B***. She was yelling at the bartender who was a friend of mine, she wanted to dance with every guy in the club but me, threw a fit when I would not go up on stage to dance. Then if it was not bad enough that she grabbed some guys crotch then stuck her tongue in his mouth, the final straw was when she threw a glass at my sister.

We showed up at 10pm, and left at 11:30 pm. She spent almost $50 of my money to get drunk, get stupid, and made me feel bad for bringing her to a place like that.

The next day, she was mad at me that we left so early.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Damn~!

Lets see not long after moving to DC i meet this nice older man (hot atty, i have a weak spot for those) and we agree to dinner on Fri night.

Fri comes and im dressed nice (this is DC think dull style tastes) we go to a lovely little place along the river and watch the sail boats and the planes at National Airport.

Dinner starts off nice enough save for his roaming hands. Conversation is light and witty, the night lovely sitting outdoors. He drops a bomb on me-hes MARRIED! No not getting a divorce, no not seperated, no she does not know he screws around nothing. Of course I dont play that game and finish up my dinner quickly and ask to be taken home. he refuses and starts telling me how hot the sex with me is going to be later etc etc etc and to top it off he tells me to dont even think of asking for a condom he does not belive in the things.

I was HORRIFED!

I caused a scene in the resturant to the point he was embaressed (he goes there a good bit) and forced him to take me home.

He was such a slime.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Chet...can we switch role here in this breath: I swear we've done this topic before. (If I knew how to get the link here, I would.)

But it is a fun topic. I'll have to think of some to share...

tsc

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
(he called it jumping on the grenade for him)
umm.. I think a grenade might have been less painful... because it at least it would have been quicker!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ummm... probably the one where the date and I spontaneously decided to take a late night swim in the gulf. And while we were on the beach, someone stole my pants out of his truck. The rest of the evening was great, though...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
tsc said:
umm.. I think a grenade might have been less painful... because it at least it would have been quicker!
It would have... to this day my sister wants to kick her A$$.

The sick thing is I later found out that she wanted a second date, and that she thought of me as "marriage material." I think that she is "Terrorist Material"

Re: Dates?

SkeLeton said:
What's that?
Do you eat it?

Is it the fruit or the Rhophynol type of dates ;)?
Actually, Skeleton, I think you have the right idea. I went on about 6 'first dates' as a teenager and then decided it was a terrible system.