• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

First McDonalds...now Oreos!!

prudence

Cyburbian
Can I sue every bar that ever sold me liquor. Consumption of which has resulted in the systematic execution of my brain cells, and led to embarrassing behavior?

Jeff

Cyburbian
When are the crackheads going to start suing their dealers for forcing them to give $3 bjs to get a fix...??

Habanero

Cyburbian
okay, where are the parents in this equation and since when is it society's responsibility to raise children and teach them what to eat. Soceity didn't make the children and it's considered awful that I dare mention gonverment birth control for those too stupid and irresponsible to teach their children. Why not, instead of feeding your kids cookies with a sweetended crisco filling they perhaps make them think caramel rice cakes are cookies (okay, so I thought they were for a long time, I'll probably pull that on my kids too)?

Why not sit down and *gasp* make dinner for your family including lower fat foods and deserts like sorbet?

I was taught that I could only have 2 oreos after dinner, now finally at 24 I've bumped that up to 4.

OREOS ARE NOT EVIL!

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
This suit is obviously a big PR stunt designed to create awarenessa about all the crap in children's diets. This is different from that McDonalds suit. That was saying that the food make them fat, I think this is more about the deception Nabsico (and other snackmakers) perpetuate when they say something is "healthy" and "low in fat" when that's not really the case. I'm sure this lawyer will fall flat on his face, but he will have raised a little awareness to people that some of that food just plain sucks.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Won't people learn?
It's not the company's fault that you ate too many Big Mac's or a truckload of cookies...

Now if the company promotes a product that is low fat and low calories and all, it should be under certain regulations, and if they sell something that's now low fat and low calories under the disguise that it is.. then it is the company's fault, and should be sanctioned (though people should read the dietary information of the things they eat...)

prudence

Cyburbian
Hmmmm...

This smells of the Seinfeld episode with the low-fat frozen yogurt...

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
OREO's Unite; You Have Nothing To Lose But Your Wrappers!

:B

Figures; it's coming from "Marin County", home of John Walker Lindh, the American Tailban. As we all know, he was the unfortunate victim of "lassez-faire" school of parenting...let's let the kid do what "he feels" and he'll "grow" from the "experience." And, as parents, we'll be off the hook for his actions. Sounds like an absolution of personal responsibility here (again.)

Classic Bay Area goofball, dufy stuff.

I'll have to go have another Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and prepare my legal argument that beer's made me a cynical, repulsive lout...

donk

Cyburbian
and prepare my legal argument that beer's made me a cynical, repulsive lout...
I claim that being a planner has made me these things, and that beer is my medicine to reduce these tendencies.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Rhode Island's first Krispy Kreme opened this morning 5 minutes from my house. My plan is to eat a dozen a day until my heart attack and then sue, sue, sue!! I'll even give a weepy interview to Katie Couric from my hospital bed.

The building doesn't look too bad for a chain donut shop. The lines are out the door though, so it may be a while until I really try them. People talk about them like they were deep fried in heaven.

BKM

Cyburbian
Now, let me preface this by saying that this lawsuit is really silly.

However, many nutritionists now say that ANY quantity of transfats is unhealthy. This may be something that the FDA should be looking at.

Of course, the solution is to avoid convenience foods-and the parents should be doing that, but. . .

Just like my conspiracy nut brother told me that the FDA management that approved NutraSweet (which I am guzzling now) ignored several studies questioning the safety of America's favorite diet sweetener. He claims that Coca Cola submitted a memo strongly objecting to the health of the susbtance (something about formaldehide being produced when heated-like when a six pack of coke sits in the sun) Guess who they ended up working for-Monsanto! :)

Still, nutty conspiracies are everywhere.

Jeff

Cyburbian
The trans fats are supposed to be really bad, and you really need to read the ingredients in what you are eating. An interesting article in this month's Runner's World dealt with this issue. One of the things that stands out in my mind is they emphasized when you think you are eating healthy (less fat) you may be ingesting these artery-clogging trans fats, such as hydrogenated vegetable, canola, corn etc oil.

I was eating a peanut butter and jelly sammich :) the other night and was reading the ingredients on the "Redued Fat" peanut butter and sure enough it contained the hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Onlu natural peanut butter for me from now on.

Runner

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Won't people learn?
Unfortunately they did learn. Lawsuit lotto is the great American get rich quick scheme!

Can't we just convince al Qaida to just hate American lawyers?

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
The lines are out the door though, so it may be a while until I really try them. People talk about them like they were deep fried in heaven. [/B]

I'm not a donut conoisseur or anything (in fact I could live the rest of my life without one happily), but I never was impressed by Krispy Kremes. I think there's a line out the door every time a new one opens. To me they taste like every other glazed donut I have ever had.
They kind of have a Starbucks-esque business mentality. Standards out the wazoo.

The Irish One

As long as the cookies aren't sold or distributed to kids at publicly funded schools, I'm cool. For a while a lot of schools were putting all these junk food & drink vending machines on campuses. I think that is totally uncalled for. Too much sugar just mucks a kids brain up! Let the parents make that choice.

Onlu natural peanut butter for me from now on.
I by peanut butter at the health food store -you crush the nuts right there.

I never was impressed by Krispy Kremes.
They are gross!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Here is how it will go down.

The State's Attorney Generals will get a whiff of blood in the water and gang up on Nabisco, and the lesser cookie pushers in multiple lawsuits. Congress won't want to miss out so there will be Senate subcommittees where the Cookie Industry executives will swear their cookies are not addictive or fattening. Internal Cookie Industry whistleblowers will leak a confidential memo where the evil Cookie Industry executives discussed marketing Cookies to minorities and children, and especially minority children. The normally stupid and flaccid press will smell the same blood the politicians did and search for a rich white Republican male link to the inner city supply of Oreo Double Stuffs that are hitting the streets uncut. A NutterButter – TeleTubby link is explored in a Front Line investigative report on PBS. Hillary and Maxine Walters will hold a joint press conference where they denounce corporate cookie sponsorship of sports and links to children’s programming. Legislation reaches the President’s desk calling for CAFÉ (Cookies Americans Fear Embargo) standards for the children’s snack industry. The cookie fleet trans fatty acids (CF-TFA) standards call for a fleet average of less than 1.4 grams per serving size. The Luxury Cookie industry thrives. Health cookies are sold for 1/10 of their production costs so that the cookie industry can meet their CAFÉ standards. Cadillac and Famous Amos team up to present the 40,000-calorie Sports Utility Cookie (SUC) named the Gigastuff. In the State’s Attorneys General settlement the cookie industry agrees to give 1 million dollars to the health Nazis. The health numb nuts make a series of hip poseur commercials that feature the evil of white republican men pushing cookies. Yet, Americans still remain fat and happy despite good intentions and government intervention. ;)