• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Five Things Friday

kjel

Super Moderator
1. Tomorrow is December 1st. This year flew by.
2. Going to get a tree tomorrow morning.
3. Mini brought home a flyer for Newark's Christmas tree lighting at Championship Plaza. She asked me if she could go because NJ Devil was going to be there. I told her we could because we were going to the Devils game at 7pm anyways.
4. On Sunday, Target will be selling gift cards for 10% off. You can purchase one up to $300. I will get one, so will RT as we do much of our household and grocery shopping there.
5. I hate rental unit inspections. Landlords are assholes.

Bubba

Cyburbian
4. On Sunday, Target will be selling gift cards for 10% off. You can purchase one up to $300. I will get one, so will RT as we do much of our household and grocery shopping there.
My favorite restaurant group here in Atlanta (the chef/owner has three restaurants) does something along these lines, although I think they add an extra 10% to the gift card (i.e. buy a $100 card, get $110 on it).

Planit

Cyburbian
1. busy 2 days dealing with found USTs
2. contractor hit an unmarked gas service line this morning
3. we've had 3 retirements this week - 1 dept. head & 2 PW division superintendents
4. finally getting over this week-long cold
5. I don't enjoy paperwork at all.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Wife got a Christmas Bonus... but they took 40% out for taxes. :-{
2) We have a busy weekend ahead of us, plus I am going to spend some time in the shop tomorrow finishing the gifts that I am making for coworkers and neighbors.
3) My soon to be 10 year old made his own birthday invitations, then we ran them on our copier at home and he filled in the names. I wonder how many parents will call me asking of it is legit. He invited 5 and I anticipate 3 showing up.
4) With the storm coming this weekend makes me wonder if the kids will have school on Monday... I am thinking not.... which means I take the day off or working from home.
5) I am fearful that if I play "All I want for christmas is my two front teeth" it might offend a meth-head.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. A female friend invited herself to my place.
2. She does this late yesterday evening.
3. My place looks like a sty.
4. Something tells me we are going out.
5. Appliances are expensive y'all-had to replace a dryer.

Planit

Cyburbian
!. employee lunch today and it was decent (no iridescent ham) but I didn't win a door prize.
@. the longevity check was a nice little bump
#. I don't think I need to go to the grocery store before the snow hits
$. unfortunately there is no college football this weekend to watch
%. interesting discussion today with CM & ACM about future of this dept. (all good)

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) In-law Christmas exchange this weekend.

2) First one we've been to in 3 years - and we won't be the center of attention.

3) Christmas Day we will be at my parents for part of the day.

4) The dog is not happy when the temp drops real low. She doesn't want to wear her jacket for every outing.

5) This year has flown by.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. I'll be happy to get my new dryer this weekend.
2. Laundromats are ok, but I prefer the convenience of doing it at home.
3. Plus, it's cheaper in the long run
4. It's officially Christmas-I'm playing George Winston's December cd.
5. One more week and I'm back in the air.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. It's a wet & cold Friday here
2. I thought today would be better than yesterday & it was but only very slightly
3. Seagulled by the CM again
4. I'm on hold right now with a catalog company who can't find my order I placed 3 days ago - grrr
5. I hope I reach the goal I sent for myself before the end of the year

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. 5:00 can't get here fast enough.
2. I'll be off next week
3. Do have to attend the obligatory 5:01 Department party.
4. Guess that isn't so bad.
5. The Byrds were cool

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I just noticed that I might be able to complete all the items on my to-do list before I leave today. This is good because I am not going to come into the office at all next week, not going to check my e-mail, and might avoid the municipality to the best of my ability. I need a break.
2) I have determined that being healthy is out the window for the rest of the year. I am however forming a game plan to get back on course on January 2nd.
3) My kid's school as not called me yet today. This is surprising being that he does not do well on days where they don't follow the standardized schedule.
4) The fill from the bottom beer cups at sporting events is a neat idea, but I don't like it for the following reasons:
  • If you have a napkin in just the right place in the cup holder, your beer will leak.
  • The exterior of the cup looks like it comes in contact with the exterior of the filling port
  • The cups have a magnet ring and a small metal plate that is often branded, both of which add cost that the supplier is not going to eat, therefore it is more expensive for me.
5) My 10 year old told a cheerleader that she was hot last night at the hockey game... She said thank you and gave him a kiss on the cheek and told him that he was 'too cute'. I was proud of him.... then a creepy looking 50 year old who saw the interaction said told the other cheerleader that she was hot too.... she gave him a discused look. :lmao:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Half-day today for me so that means I need to take care of this now
2. I gave my assistant Draught Beer Flavored Jelly Bellys for Christmas
3. I called 3 different people at NCDOT, nobody is in today
4. Pretty much done with Christmas shopping, just a few small items to get which should not involve a trip to the mall area
5. MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Christmas lunch part 2 today.
2. Motivation to get stuff done is rapidly disappearing
3. This time tomorrow I will be in the air again.
4. Dryer finally got installed last time
5. We have been dead today.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Wednesday afternoon I had the first session of teaching The Girl how to drive a stickshift. My neck feels better now.
2. My brother sent us a Christmas card and it was unsealed when it arrived. It referenced the enclosed gift cards which were not enclosed. He is not happy with the USPS right now.
3. Mom is here for a few more days. She has made two of my favorite dishes since she's been here. I'm hoping for one more before she leaves.
4. Our dog got loose and took a turkey carcass off our neighbors back porch (the Police Chief's mother's house). Thank goodness it was just the carcass.
5. The traditional NYEve party we go to has been cancelled since the couple who host it have gone out of town. Gotta figure out new plans.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Gave myself a Christmas gift
2. A 2019 WPA National Park poster calendar.
3. Wednesday/ very early Thursday morning was long and interesting.
4. Thanks to bad storms in Houston
5. I'm really tired of thunderstorms/heavy rain right now.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. The Mountain Goats "No Children" is sad, funny song
2. I normally don't like that type of music, but the song is great.
3. Somebody with mad internet skills could post it for me.
4. Next week is the first full work week in a while
5. Potentially busy weekend.

ktrems

Cyburbian
Been awhile:)

1. I got a new position as an Assistant Director. I'm very proud and happy where I am.
2. I needed to have 25 posts to be able to put up a job advertisement, and I needed 1 more so I figured Id say hello to all of you! Sorry I haven't been around much, but I do think of the Cyburbia community often.
3. I got a virtual reality headset for the holidays. It gives me motion sickness, but I keep trying anyways. 10/10 do not recommend virtual roller coasters.
4. Glad the holidays are over; I haven't taken my tree down yet though... I dont know what that say about me.
5. One of the coworkers is going to another job, so we are all going to lunch today. Someone had the bright idea to order early, and I had to figure out what I wanted before I was even hungry. Hardest decision ever.

Planit

Cyburbian
1) Another cold & wet Friday...but at least it's Friday!
2) De-Christmasing the house this weekend and putting it back in the attic
3) There were only 2 items I had to return (a sweater and a shirt) from this year's haul of gifts.
4) I was disappointed in the LFC v MCFC result yesterday, but of what I got to see, it was a great game
5) Mrs. P came home yesterday exhausted and with a headache. She went to bed @ 6:30. She said all the crazy hours and happenings over the last 2 weeks did a number on her.

Gedunker

Moderating
1 - Our first week with the transition from vBulletin to XenForo seems to have gone pretty smoothly. Thank you, O Great Leader, for treating us scalliwags so well!
2 - It appears our replacement zoning ordinance will get final adoption shortly. It's been nearly a half-century since a PD could say that in my little 'burg.
3 - I never thought I would say it, but I just don't miss coffee at all.
4 - We are supposed to get some snow overnight and into tomorrow and this morning we had a very pretty red sky. Could the old sailors be correct? I sure hope so.
5 - I need to get serious about shedding some weight. Kind of crept up on me recently. The holidays didn't help. Time to hit the exercycle.;)

Reactions: Dan

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My time this weekend is going to be spent working on a few things that might result in significant changes if everything goes well. (work related)
2) The Red Wings seem to be a decent first period team... Problem is they are a horrible 2nd and 3rd period team.
3) Found out that the business where I was able to get my very first job is no longer there because the owner was finally willing to sell after people asking on a quarterly basis for 30 years. It wasn't prime real estate when he bought the land, but it is now.
4) I might sleep in this weekend... oh wait... I have a dog and 3 kids.
5) I learned this morning that there have been a series of new discoveries regarding how our bodies work, heal, and how energy is created. Some of these change how we look at particular processes.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. Sold the 1990 wagon at a slight loss :( needed it gone, since I lost my workspace in December. Le sigh.
2. The 1992 244 is stronger than ever, she's getting snow tires next weekend. Just changed the oil and filter, added an oil stabilizer + regapped and cleaned my spark plugs. Distributor cap and rotor are good for now. Up next is a good undercoating and some DIY touch up paint and sandpaper rust repair before my surface scratches become actual rust.
3. Im down to 215 lbs! from 235 in November!
4. Im financially solvent in 2019
5. Best sandwich in the Bronx: Pruzzo's Market

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I found out late yesterday afternoon about a state report due Monday
2. Finance just came to me and told me about a problem with a PO in my department...The PO that they setup
3. I hope the ice accumulation stays north of us this weekend. I don't mind snow, but I detest ice
4. The Girl has a swim meet tomorrow. This is only her second year of competitive swimming and she's doing very good
5. I had a ham, cheese and spinach omelet for lunch today

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. We were talking about going to the zoo in the nearby big city.
2. It supposed to rain in the afternoon tomorrow
3. Said plans may get cancelled.
4. So ends the first 5 day work week in a month
5. Talking with mini WYP about prom dresses was an odd experience.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I have a councilman that thinks he's the project manager for our downtown project. He's called me 3 times today.
2. If its a nice day tomorrow, it's yard work. If not, I'll find a taproom (both Mrs. P & The Girl will be out of town).
3. Time to check the Braves & Atlanta United schedules to find a weekend they both are in town.
4. I don't miss drinking diet Mtn. Dew (it's been a year now).
5. Happy 3-day weekend!!!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. I'll second the happy 3-day weekend
2. Supposed to turn cold here after the rain
3. Nothing major planned for the 3 days
4. Getting into some interesting discussions with miniWYP
5. The upside looks like an interesting movie.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
1. The fiance invited his parents over to dinner (even though we have barely unpacked) and is buying and cooking the food and organizing our boys to clean/tidy the place this afternoon while I'm at work. I could get used to this.
2. I would like to sleep for about 24 hours straight.
3. Even with all of the modern technological conveniences to help remember things, I still have about 5 post-it notes on my monitor right now.
4. My fair city has gotten over 6 inches of rain this month, so far.
5. Is it 5:00 yet?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. This 4-day week has felt like 6 days - highlights below.
2. Spent an hour with the state when I couldn't find $1.2 million grant on our project file. It was funded in August, but was never posted.
3. Dealt with a "responsible" developer who put electrical conduit & wiring through our stormwater catch basin & culvert.
4. A merchant hit a construction worker (not badly, just pushed him a few feet) with her truck and drove off.
5. Was told of a collapsed UST on private property that has become a sinkhole.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. I hate finding less than good things about people after they die.
2. Hopefully will get a chance to go see The Upside.
3. The girlfriend and kid are out of town.
4. At what point does it go from dating to a relationship?
5. Going to kickstart the house hunting again.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Survived my first week at the new job. Boy, have I got a steep learning curve on some of these programs!

2) Traffic patterns favor me having the longer commute, rather than Hubby.

3) I have family plans this weekend that mean no sleeping in. And no nap.

4) Is it possible to be tired and excited at the same time?

5) I haven't crocheted anything in 3 months. I really should pick that back up . . .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) The original Ghostbusters is a good movie... and there is a new one coming out in Summer 2020 with or based on the original.
2) NHL All Star game is tomorrow.
3) I told a major chain that if they want to open this week, they will need to follow the rules or they will need to keep their doors closed.
4) we are going to take the kids to a museum tomorrow.
5) In the next few days I am tossing my hat in the ring to become a director again. It was a hard decision to make but everyone seems to be supportive of the idea.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Don't know why I bothered taking my laptop home last night. I didn't even take it out of the bag.

2) Slept like a log for the first night all week. So naturally, I'm still tired.

3) Dad's back in the hospital, with surgery scheduled for a pace maker. Hopefully this will "fix" the confusing symptoms and keep him from worrying us so much.

4) Set up my new phone last night. I now have a Pixel 3, and am learning the tips for getting it to look and sound the way I want.

5) House hunting tomorrow with the realtor. We have several homes lined up for viewing, and then I'm headed out to see dad (see #3).

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. It's been an odd week
2. Big swings weather wise, person and emotion wise
3. No, I don't miss living up north
4. Finished one book and started another
5. While I miss the feel of print books, ebooks are a lot more convenient.

kms

Cyburbian
1. A developer/contractor has drawn a line in the sand with me.
2. A little bit of snow caused a whole lot of traffic problems this morning.
3. My new car is better in the snow than the last one was.
4. I may cancel some plans tomorrow in favor of some introvert time.
5. A record request ate up most of my morning. Then the requestor withdrew the request.

DVD

Cyburbian
1. One big project gets an easy answer
2. One small project gets killed because we want a traffic impact study
3. I might take the youngest to the last Harry Potter film at the $3 theater
4. I like my stress ball cactus
5. Stupid phone messages.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The federal government caused a 4-hour shutdown for me - somehow all my permissions in grants.gov were reset to off.
2. Received a call that citizens were walking past barricades and through the construction zone - can't fix stupid.
3. The Girl swims in the HS Regional Swim meet today - I told her not to drown, which she didn't think was funny.
4. Agriculture means agriculture - it doesn't mean you can call that building a "barn" just to store personal belongings.
5. There are a couple new avatars that freak me out - but I know who there are and its okay.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. My back and legs are sooo sore today
2. I've only got one six pack of Shiner left
3. It's supposed to get up to 50 by Monday
4. I'm not in the mood to see any doctors
5. The car is starting up normally now that the temperatures are in the upper teens.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) This is one of the busiest weeks we have had.
2) There are some developers who are unwilling to spend money on projects.
3) I am thrilled that it is the end of the day on Friday. I have a cold beer waiting for me at home.
4) The weather this week has been insane for friends and family in the midwest. I expect an exodus this summer to the south.
5) I have zero interest in watching any football games this weekend.

kjel

Super Moderator
1. This has been an unproductive week.
2. It has been brutally cold.
3. We were dismissed at 1pm on Wednesday.
4. Bella had no school due to cold weather on Thursday so I stayed home with her.
5. I sent a feck off email to a developer who asked for $1M in subsidy for a project that can support $3M in additional debt. After 5pm of course :)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. My broken toe is starting to heal
2. Yes, it's actually Friday
3. It's hot dog night at chez Maister. We have hot dogs maybe two or three times a year
4. Radio show on Saturday
5. Ummm

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. We topped off at 79 degrees yesterday afternoon - I should have worked from home on the screened porch and enjoyed it instead of going into the office. Woke up today to low 50s, and it's trending down from there.
2. Our alpha female cat is well pleased that I decided to work from home today.
3. I've already referenced Jay-Z's 99 Problems in a work conversation this morning.
4. Trying to explain a very technical workflow to a client that thinks he understands things he really doesn't understand is a wee bit frustrating.
5. Grabbing dinner out tonight with the fabulous boys next door - that'll be a good way to head into the weekend. :cheers:

HomerJ

Cyburbian
1. Why hello there cyburbia, it has been awhile!
2. It's good to be back on the forums, hopefully this time for a longer stint without going dark
3. The past couple of years have been quite a roller coaster for me, but many more ups than downs I'm happy to say
4. I'm back in more of a "planner" role now compared to my previous gig, and...
5. I like it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. Why hello there cyburbia, it has been awhile!
2. It's good to be back on the forums, hopefully this time for a longer stint without going dark
3. The past couple of years have been quite a roller coaster for me, but many more ups than downs I'm happy to say
4. I'm back in more of a "planner" role now compared to my previous gig, and...
5. I like it.
So, do hit men really leave 'calling cards' after they do a job? And what is the lowest altitude one can possibly pull a rip cord and still not die?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. CM says he doesn't micromanage, then comes on jobsite and directs staff to move construction forms
2. My car is driving better after suspension work
3. I don't like how one text message can change my attitude
4. Dinner all week has been random leftovers
5. This week started crazy and has consistently maintained course - at least it's Friday!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Let the sun shine, the sun shine in.
2. Date night at Cracker Barrel tonight.
3. Esquire with the Ritz Carlton came up with pretty good short vidoes
4. Reading the Monster of Florence
5. I normally avoid those types of books, but it's not a bad read.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Been a chained-to-the-desk kind of week. Really hoping to break loose early today . . .

2) Had a conference call where the only thing I said for an hour was my name and agency.

3) Employees that know they are leaving should not be in charge of products with a deadline hurlting towards you.

4) Looking forward to a weekend of me-inspired activities!

5) I don't have Monday off, but the school district does, so an easy commute in the morning!

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. 3 day weekend yay!

2. Its warm today

3. My week is over

4. Meowwwww, I get to chill with my CAT

5. Might go to the cottage this weekend

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Had the municipal employees breakfast this morning. I was still full at lunch.
2. Child-free weekend.
3. Gonna rain for the next eight days.
4. Played tour director for a group of planners from a city to the south that came to see our downtown revitalization construction.
5. New police chief got sworn in today and the room was packed. It took an hour to get through the reception line.