• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Five Things Friday

HomerJ

Cyburbian
1. Trying to buy a home in my fair city is not a pleasant experience
2. I wonder if I listen to too many podcasts, or not enough...
3. Without any real plans this weekend, going for a hike seems to be the default.
4. I've taken the Myers Briggs test more than once and been given pretty different profiles...
5. Next week's going to be super busy, probably best not to even think about what can't be avoided.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Offer accepted on a house, so let the paperworkpalooza begin!

2) Free breakfast tacos!

3) Dinner plans - don't have to cook!

4) Payday! Always a positive!

5) No plans this weekend.

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. It's a nice quiet Friday at work (so far).
2. Hopefully we'll get to see the sun here again at some point- the non-rainy periods over the last few days have been very foggy.
3. The Boys Next Door™ have an impressive mountain of boxes out for pickup next to their recycling bin - big Crate & Barrel boxes topped by several pizza boxes....it's going to be a bloody mess if we get a strong gust of wind.
4. Sal seems really upbeat today. :up:
5. I applied for a job out in Hawaii just for the hell of it - I'm content where I am, but this particular opening is very intriguing. I doubt it will go anywhere, but it never hurts to just talk to folks sometimes...

Update on #3 - the wind has picked up. The pizza boxes are scattered across the end of their driveway. I'm waiting on the larger boxes to start falling...

Last edited:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Have to come up with plans for tomorrow for the three of us.
2. It's supposed to be rainy
3. Will have to run it past the gf for her blessing
4. I'm also supposed to get my hair cut.
5. Talking to a realtor on Monday.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
❶ Still waiting for a call back from the only glass place in town regarding a broken window in our house.
❷ Payday!
❸ A new mechanical keyboard for the old Mac Mini in the upstairs office is arriving today!
❹ Looking for good trail shoes for my wife, who's running in a Spartan in a few weeks.
❺ Found a huge chip in the passenger side mirror of my car. I blame subzero temperatures from a couple of weeks ago,.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Clear the roads! The Girl got her drivers license today
2. ^ Mrs. P is not thrilled
3. The merchants meeting today was nice and calm until one in particular opened her mouth and began continuous bitching
4. Tomorrow's preseason soccer tournament has been cancelled - it's still raining and fields have standing water
5. I need to get a haircut

Hey bubba, you could get an interview which means a free trip?!!??!!?

DVD

Cyburbian
1. Pizza Hut is an acceptable lunch today
2. I must restock my pistachio drawer
3. I've got no plans for the weekend and I'm good with that.
4. I think I'll get a couple more reviews done to start next week off right.
5. ^^^ I'm glad Planit lives on the other coast. ^^^

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Annual report sent to state agency, and I have PROOF that it was received!

2) Spent an hour on a conference call, where one person had the worst feedback and now my ears hurt.

3) My boss rearranged her office, and now I'm thinking today may be a good day for that, as well.

4) Really cold here again. It may not be a Polar Vortex, but to me it's f'ing cold.

5) Going to take my laptop home over the weekend. I need to do some research, and it's easier to do that from the comfort of my recliner.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I think a jaunt to Shipshewana is in order tomorrow
2. I am suddenly struck by a desire to drink a Moosehead. From a pint mug.
3. Today has been a pretty good day event-wise considering how bad my inner state is
4. Oh boy, only 8 more months until they start playing Christmas music on the radio!
5. I think we will plant a vegetable garden this year

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My stress level has been maxed out this week. Beer is in order for today, and tonight.
2) Chilling with a beer at the neighborhood amenity center today and I strike up a conversation with another urban planner that I didn’t know... and he lives around the corner from me.
3) Today was a good day and even if I don’t get the job, I realized that I know my stuff and I don’t buckle...
4) GM has a new 1000 HP SUV that you can order from the factory... time to start saving up.
5) I am going to chill and I watch hockey at a sports bar tonight... with a beer.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. A quick trip to Pensacola tomorrow
2. It's for squirt's karate training/belt
3. Had another buying a house discussion last night
4. Got on the same page regarding that
5. Tomorrow is my dad's 79th birthday.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Handed out public info meeting notices this morning...in the sleet
2. Odd week overall
3. 1.5 hours meeting with NCDOT yesterday turned into over 3 hours. My head is still spinning.
4. Budget season is upon us. Ours will be lean, but I also have bug $ contracts to deal with.
5. If I was going to Pensacola, I'd eat dinner at https://www.mcguiresirishpub.com/.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) It's always good when it's PayDay!

2) Had to redo the house contract based on the appraisal. It's in our favor but the current owners are . . . stubborn.

3) Headed to a hockey game tomorrow with a friend. She's a hockey fanatic, while I'm more of a social fan. They won last time I went with her, so hopefully the same good mojo will prevail tomorrow.

4) I really should start thinking about getting ready to pack up. I hate moving, though.

5) No big plans this weekend, but the next two after this are packed.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) A job at the local RPA has opened that interests me a great deal.
2) I am finally getting over this cold combined with a bout of lower back pain.
3) The great melt off is about to begin in Iowa
4) Going to see my kids in a speech competition tomorrow
5) I actually have a date coming up

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1) A job at the local RPA has opened that interests me a great deal.
2) I am finally getting over this cold combined with a bout of lower back pain.
3) The great melt off is about to begin in Iowa
4) Going to see my kids in a speech competition tomorrow
5) I actually have a date coming up
As a former debater/speech team geek, hope they do well. Congrats on the date. I hope it goes well.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Today was a good day
2) Over the past few weeks I have realized that I have been doubting my potential over the past few years. That is no more.
3) I am ready for warmer weather. This winter has sucked.
4) Every kid needs a dog.
5) I am thankful for all my blessings and opportunities.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Iowa beat Illinois last night in the Big Ten Tournament, so that makes my day. Hopefully they can beat Michigan tonight.
2) Excited to see my son play tonight with the Air Force Band
3) The date I have Tuesday is the most promising one in a while. Trying to temper expectations.
4) Getting my bikes tuned up soon for the season. Can't wait to get going again
5) Housing as an issue confounds me.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I hate conference calls with 25+ people. There's always at least one person that shouts, another that whispers, and someone sitting in a crowded public place without muting their microphone.

2) Sun's out, but the wind is chilly. I want the overall temp to go up about 15 degrees, but the wind isn't cooperating.

3) Big in-law party this weekend!

4) The dog is happy that the rain has stopped for a while. She also had a fun walk last night, meeting the new dog on the block. Lots of sniffing going on, and some wagging tails. Hubby thinks we should avoid all other dogs (our dog, while not small, is passive and easily spooked) but I think she needs to know her neighbors. If the meeting is friendly with no stress, I believe it's better for the dogs.

5) Got my Fasnacht pin from my sister. It's a pretty one this year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. 37, gray, and rainy outside. Possibility of ice tonight
2. I don't know what to do with myself this weekend
3. I'm feeling uptight right now
4. I wonder how much it costs to rent a chainsaw for a weekend?
5. My dog likes me.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Rain has cancelled tonight's soccer match
2. This has been a tough week at the work place.
3. Construction prices for infrastructure are through the roof - at least twice as high as 18 months ago.
4. Date night tonight! The Girl will be at a church lock-in.
5. I have put 3 zipties on the gate to prevent our dog from escaping. He'll probably order a knife from ebay and escape again.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. We had a day about a week and a half ago where it got up to 60 degrees, but March has been pretty normal otherwise; highs in the mid 40's and lows in the upper 20's mostly
2. I think I will plant a vegetable garden this year. Just a small one. I didn't really do that last year
3. Things I frequently watch on YouTube include: talking head news commentary, game guides, and instructional cooking videos.
4. I've had lots of anxiety this week but terrible things have not come to pass as I feared
5. I need to rent a chainsaw this weekend to take down a couple unwanted trees in the side yard.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1. Iowa vs. Cincinatti at 11:15 today. I don't have a lot of faith in winning this one.
2. Quiet weekend with kids
3. Really quiet week at work. I just sort of spin on the housing issue.
4. Wondering why I bother continuing with online dating
5. Biking season is close...I can't wait.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. Free CM webinar
2. Free CM webinar .25 credits more than NPC19 session
3. lunch time
4. My school plays tonight
5. I picked my school on my office pool bracket

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I'm getting worried about DVD, like the sun and apartment living is getting to him
2. We had a Outraged & Ignorant citizen come to the project information open house last night. He was the only non-staff person there at the time and seemed disappointed he didn't have an audience to listen to his rants
3. The Girl has to take the car to be inspected today (there's no school). She started to complain - then I told her that was a responsibility for having a car & if she didn't want to, she didn't need the car. It's being inspected as I type
4. There's been some nice close games so far & some blow outs too
5. Severe clear today outside

Maister

Chairman of the bored
2. We had a Outraged & Ignorant citizen come to the project information open house last night. He was the only non-staff person there at the time and seemed disappointed he didn't have an audience to listen to his rants.
Not having a sympathetic audience to rile up would tend to take the wind out of one's sail.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Busy day today
2. Bowling is on the agenda tomorrow
3. Spring here, y'all
4. The taming process continues.
5. National is in three weeks.

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
1. I ate too much fried calamari for lunch today.
2. I brought the leftovers home in hopes they heat-up.
3. It was nice to get out of the house for a couple of hours by ourselves.
4. Still no work on the exterior of the house or the half bath. Haven't seen or heard from anyone since last Saturday.
5. I need to mow the new grass in the backyard this weekend.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Spent the morning at a community event that was pretty good. Wish more people had attended.

2) Lunch was surprisingly yummy, for a box lunch.

3) Sunshine and 70's today - great day to be out of the office.

4) Working from home this afternoon. Amazing how much I can get done with no phone calls.

5) Busy weekend ahead.

kjel

Super Moderator
1. My boss came to ask me at noon how fast I could do an Environmental Record Review. I said "it depends".
2. I left at 1pm for a site visit, had lunch, stopped at another site to take a noise sample. I came back at 3pm.
3. I was not asked anything further regarding the ERR.
4. I am counting down my last 6 minutes.....
5. RT is flying back from the West Coast tonight. She doesn't like NE Sacramento.

Jen

Cyburbian
sun is setting too late already

but the early AM moon is gorgeous

Robins are back, have heard em not seen em yet

listening to more audiobooks at Hoopla

A dramatization of the LOTR was really enjoyable, Smeagol and Smaug were especially well played and there were only two ballads sung by Gimli!

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Casey's Cheese Breakfast Pizza isn't great.
2) I am becoming more and more a coffee snob and keep 3 coffees on hand at home now.
3) Bike season is almost here! Taking my bike in for a tune up this weekend.
4) I really want to get out of the "retail" part of local gov.
5) I have Pantera on at my desk this morning

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I'm going to use the word 'conflate' today in casual conversation if it kills me
2. I'm quite looking forward to outdoor grilling season. I'd say it's already started at Chez Maister
3. I'm trying to avoid having three awkward conversations today
4. I want to do nothing this weekend but I have to rent a chainsaw and cut down a couple of trees whether I like it or not
5. I'm eager to try a new beer this weekend

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. last friday of the month
2. 5th friday of the month
3. last working day of the 1st quarter of the year
4. haven't taken much time off yet this year
5. so I RJed today

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mrs. P got a new job! That's a very good thing.
2. Merchants meeting this morning was lightly attended, I guess they don't have much else to complain about
3. CM cancelled so I have to take visitors from another city around downtown today
4. YES it's grilling season
5. I only watched 6 innings of OPENING DAY BASEBALL yesterday

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Bowling is on the agenda again this weekend.
2. She thinks it's cool that I can bowl with either hand.
3. Judging in a Speech and Debate tournament tomorrow.
4. Nice to be able to give back since I was in speech and debate in HS.
5. Have to be there darn early tomorrow.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
1. Local Developer infringing on neighbor's property with construction junk: "how should I know where the property line is?"
2. Maybe look at the SURVEY in your approved plan? Maybe MARK THE LIMITS OF DISTURBANCE like you were supposed to?
3. Friday night is homemade pizza night.
4. Time to take the studded snow tires off the car.
5. Pulled the trigger on some bike wheel parts because buying pre-made wheels, while only marginally more expensive and easier, wouldn't meet "Family Budget" scrutiny. I'm like the Johnny Cash "One piece at a Time" guy for bikes in my house.

kms

Cyburbian
I can’t bowl with either hand, but I can play tennis and ping pong with either hand.

The hostess at the Chinese buffet scolded me from across the dining area because my boots were dirty. I told her she was rude and should have told me that quietly and to my face. She was right about my boots. I cleaned them as much as I could. She should have seen her parking stops.

Nasty hostesses make good food taste bad.

I’m going to a Maple Festival tomorrow. But I don’t have to buy any syrup. I have a guy.

I can’t see the daggone cursor.

kjel

Super Moderator
1. A contractor had a meltdown in my conference room this morning when he came in to sign a contract. He asked another party at the table, "Why do you hate me so much? This isn't fair!" It was embarassing.
2. I really would like to go home now at 3:30. It's been a long week.
3. New cable modem came today so I am going to install it this weekend and give the cable company back their formerly free modem they now want to charge $12.95/month for. New modem was $49.
4. Tomorrow is supposed to be 70F which will be nice, going to try and get outside some.
5. Looking to buy bikes for me, RT, and mini. So many options.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
A friend and his family tap trees and make their own syrup. They give me a couple of jugs of syrup every year.
Good to know. For some reason I took that statement to suggest you now have a (maple) sugar daddy!:ha: I guess you kind of do.

Reactions: kms

Maister

Chairman of the bored
1. I laughed when I saw this video the first time
2. It's supposed to rain all day
3. I'm thinking about doing a garden this year, although I'm not certain I will
4. How does one stay focused in one direction/activity for extended periods of time? It eludes me
5. I like it when dogs smile.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Movers are coming tomorrow:D. So are rain and storms.:worried:

2) Hubby is so stressed out about the move - as he's been with every move we've ever done - that he's a real bear to be around.

3) My mom keeps reminding me that "they can help if needed." I don't need my increasingly agoraphobic father and basically one-armed mother "helping" (getting in the way).

4) We extended two offers for open positions. One applicant is sailing through the process with minimal fuss. The other has more questions than I think are worth it.

5) And now we're also looking for interns. Guess who gets to be the point person on that endeavor?:up: