• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Five Things Friday

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) I am relieved that I at least talked to my mom and step dad about her cognitive issues.
2.) I am going to eat supermarket Hy-Vee Chinese Food tonight and like it
3.) I realized what a gypsy I have been in my life and have now been in my job 5 years and my house about the same. Its about the longest I have lived anywhere.
4.) The head wants to move to a modern single floor living arrangement, the heart wants to stay in a 154 year old 2 story house that needs work,
5.) Watching 70 year old men play drama queen over part time positions is not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Hockey... even if it isn't my team.
2) I love warm spring weather just after a good rain.
3) I am planting clover in my lawn this weekend to help establish an eco-friendly ballance instead of a monoculture that does not seem to want to do well.
4) Wife is not a planner and finds it annoying that I want to lock down summer child care for the next couple of years.
5) Did you know that it was Lord Stanley's wife, who suggested that they go and see a hockey tame a the Montreal Winter Carnival, but he never played professionally himself. Three of his son's did and he came to the conclusion that the fine sport of ice hockey needs a symbol for which teams from all over Canada could compete. Thus he bought a silver cup that was only 7-inches high and he paid $50 for it. It's a shame the Canadian teams suck today...

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Rain for the morning. Cloud cover this afternoon. Hope new grass is enjoying the day.
2. Looking forward to weekend and hosting a gathering of friends because a couple who moved away several years ago is coming for a visit.
3. I need to remember to pick up my prescriptions today> I've forgotten twice now.
4. I'm working at the big beer championship judging this Saturday morning. Last year I worked "bourbon barrel and strong ales" category. I got tipsy.
5. I should spend this last hour cleaning up my desk. Maybe...

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Full week in the new house. Still learning the noises and neighborhood, but am soooo happy to be there.

2) Lots of rain coming this weekend. I'll have to run errands between the raindrops.

3) Trying to convince Hubby to move furniture is almost pointless. Yes, the movers physically relocated it into the house, but that doesn't mean that it can't be moved around within the house.

4) I'm going to rearrange my closet this weekend. I've used it in this configuration for a week, and I know what I want to change. Same thing in the kitchen - need to move the coffee setup area.

5) Definitely not ready for visitors, but my parents want to see the new place.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. Pay day
2. ordered a Honey Baked Ham for Easter
3. 3/4 of the way through creating a 130 line spread sheet listing all the variances from last year.
4. free CM webinar at lunch time
5. next project - reading minutes from 1970's to find a specific action not indexed any where.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) I might have actually made some lemonade from lemons in an economic development issue.
2.) I have a nice quiet weekend planned with some lap swim and shopping tomorrow and some home time the rest of the weekend
3.) Potluck today for departing Parks & Rec Director
4.) Sweeping and mopping the kitchen and entry way for a Spring cleaning this weekend.
5.) NBA Playoffs start this weekend

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
1. Our pool is green again.
2. We'll need to hire a company to clean it.
3. Back yard is recovering with the grass growing.
4. I'm sure my little toe is broken. What can you do?
5. The four toes left of my big toe are bruised.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Last weekend I added microclover to my lawn in an attempt to help keep it green longer throughout the year. I noticed this morning that it is spouting.
2) I learned how to convert MP3s into ringtones for my iPhone. Right now my ringtone is Vehicle from Ides of March because I am that awesome.
3) Wife and I are doing mass spring cleaning and I will be selling a ton of things that we don't use. Other stuff will get donated and a few things will end up in the trash.
4) Over the past few months I got out of my health and fitness routine and it shows... however I have to run a Tough Mudder in 6 weeks, so it is time to get back in shape.
5) The weather today is a typical rainy spring day... which I am ok with.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Please rain wash the pollen cover away
2. Rainy weekend means I'll change closet from long sleeves to short sleeves
3. Going to look into a Ring doorbell this weekend too
4. Prom is tomorrow and The Girl is going with That Boy
5. It's amazing to me that if a contractor builds something NOT according to plans, they have the balls to try and charge for it being torn out and rebuilt...

Have a great wknd, y'all!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I am grateful for many things. It just occurred to me, though, that I've probably never expressed gratitude for not being haunted by any ghosts. So let's correct that.
2. I need to come up with one last method of re-using the leftover Easter ham tonight. There's maybe a cup and a half of meat left
3. Had a dream last night about a Cyburbian
4. Just noticed there's a pen in the pencil holder on my desk that has sat in there for 18 years. I've never once used it.
5. Attending a jazz festival this weekend. Junior's school jazz band is performing

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
i. My son is home for inter-session break
ii. We have been trying to get to a Bats game, but the weather has foiled us three straight nights
iii. I'm going to buy tickets for tonight's game because the weather is supposed to be very nice - even a little cool
iv. I haven't been to a live ball game in a long time
v. Lower case Roman numerals are called "Romanettes"

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Reasons why I might divorce my husband today:

1. He got honey or maple syrup on most of the cabinet pulls.
2. Spilled his steel cut oats mixture on the counter and didn't clean it up.
3. Forgot that I asked him to give me a ride home from the car dealership (luckily we figured that one out before I got there).
4. Left water all over the counter after shaving.
5. Didn't say goodbye to me this morning.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The gate now has a chain on it. Doggie will probably order bolt cutters from Amazon.
2. There's a gremlin warning light coming on in the car, then off after 5 minutes or so.
3. I owned an AMC Gremlin for a short period of time.
4. Saturday is going to be a very busy day.
5. Might go to baseball game tonight, might stay home & watch the 'Canes, might go to dinner with friends.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Got to leave early due to some voluntold time tomorrow.

2) Used that extra time to get my car inspected and the oil changed.

3) Not looking forward to tomorrow, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

4) Furniture shopping also on the schedule for the weekend.

5) It's beautiful outside. Think I'll head out for a walk.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I'm enjoying the 'Canes run & I'm not that big of a hockey fan.
2. I had a nice "I told you so" moment with a contractor already this morning.
3. Last regular season HS soccer match was exciting last night & with that win they're going to the playoffs.
4. Sprinklers came on in the middle of the match too, that was funny.
5. Busy busy busy weekend for The Girl (& subsequently us too).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I'm on the verge of a headache. It's not here yet, but it's in the mail
2. You better stop! Hey, what's that sound?
3. I should probably check to see who left me a voice mail
4. All those days starving and working out at the Y might be starting to pay off
5. When children go to the zoo they expect to see monkeys. You can not have ostriches, you can skip the kangaroos, but you damn well better have apes if you're calling yourself a zoo

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Very quiet in the office - sure wish I could get focused and get some stuff done.

2) New employee starts Monday!!

3) Got tickets to see Endgame this weekend! The show times are odd at the food-with-your-movie place, but we will make it work!

4) This has been a weird week, and next week isn't any better. Between people leaving and new people starting, work is piling up.

5) Part of me wants something sugary, like a soda, but other parts want coffee. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. The parental units are on their way
2. It's a short stay
3. But I am looking forward to it.
4. By this time tomorrow my accent will be a hash of Deep South and Chicago.:roflmao::po_O:roflmao::r:
5. Busy, busy week this week

Last edited:

kms

Cyburbian
1. My son is home for a couple of weeks until he leaves for his internship in Ohio.
2. I’m invited to a high school reunion for the class I’d have graduated from had my family stayed in West Virginia. I’m looking forward to it, but will skip the one for the school I did attend.
3. I stepped back into a field position and am the happiest I’ve been at work in a long time.
4. The woman on an oxygen commercial looks a lot like one of my cousins.
5. I’m a little tired of keyboard activists.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Junior is on a school band trip this weekend
2. That means adult time.
3. Unfortunately, I have a sore throat
4. I've sent a few texts with my new phone. It's kind of convenient
5. I'm going to RJ this afternoon

kms

Cyburbian
1. This morning, I wished my windshield wipers also performed as a metronome.
2. A couple of the citizens of this commonwealth are getting on my nerves.
3. I thought about rj-ing today but another coworker may have dashed my plans by not showing up.
4. I booked a stay at in a vintage trailer at an eco campground. That means no cell or internet service.
5. My sons tell me they’ll cycle with me for Mother’s Day. The sad truth is that I outperform them on a bicycle and the trip will be brief.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Going to an estate sale tomorrow morning that has a ton of woodworking tools.
2) Having issues with the school system and their special needs programming availability.
3) The Buffalo Wild Wings closest to me is no longer an option. The service has been so bad the past several times, management is making lame excuses, and corporate will not return my phone call. I don't want free food... I want quality service. Is that too much to ask for?
4) Some of the calls last night in the hockey game were really pathetic.
5) I am finding all sorts of neat and weird things in my new office... also some that scare the crap out of me.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a great interview with an intern applicant yesterday. We all wanted to keep him from leaving, but sadly we do actually have to go through HR to get him hired.

2) Hubby slipped climbing down a ladder - just a couple of steps - but he hurt his shoulder when he reached out and tried to grab something to prevent the slip. Not a happy camper right now.

3) What's for dinner, you ask? Well, how about a big serving of whatever I cook, with a side of eat it or starve? That's the mood I was in last night.

4) This weekend I successfully got myself and hubby out of a big family dinner. So he better make it up to me with a nice dinner of our own.

5) Cold front came through. Today is the coldest highest temperature on record.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. It's looking like Baton Rouge for a day trip tomorrow.
2. A disadvantage of a small city. You have to travel for entertainment.
3. It should be good trip, though wet.
4. Relationships are tough at times.
5. Compromise and communication y'all.

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Shaping up to be a nice day weather-wise in The ATL.
2. Need to figure out where to eat dinner tonight...might be a good evening for patio dining.
3. The probate hearing for my parents' estate was held yesterday - sounds like it'll be at least four months before my sister and I can finalize everything. At least we should have their house sold by then...
4. Working from home today - have plenty of windows open (see #1 above). That's totally not causing any distractions for me. :cool:
5. Our alpha cat (or, as she prefers, per Mrs. Bubba: "house panther") wants to play fetch. That's also not totally distracting me from work.

1. It's looking like Baton Rouge for a day trip tomorrow.
Hit the Jolie Pearl Oyster Bar in downtown BR (although, admittedly, this isn't the best season for Gulf Oysters).

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Shaping up to be a nice day weather-wise in The ATL.
2. Need to figure out where to eat dinner tonight...might be a good evening for patio dining.
3. The probate hearing for my parents' estate was held yesterday - sounds like it'll be at least four months before my sister and I can finalize everything. At least we should have their house sold by then...
4. Working from home today - have plenty of windows open (see #1 above). That's totally not causing any distractions for me. :cool:
5. Our alpha cat (or, as she prefers, per Mrs. Bubba: "house panther") wants to play fetch. That's also not totally distracting me from work.

Hit the Jolie Pearl Oyster Bar in downtown BR (although, admittedly, this isn't the best season for Gulf Oysters).
Given the age of one of the party members, a bar isn't part of the picture. In fact, it's partially because of the small member of the entourage that we are going. I do appreciate the heads up. It's my first time BR. so it should be interesting.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. Payday
2. lunch time
3. made an extra car loan payment
4. did I tell ya the dermatologist NP froze a spot about the size of dime on my elbow
5. no RJing today

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
1. I think I ate something wrong yesterday, my gut is in pain.
2. No RJing because I'm meeting people after work.
3. This has been a fairly quiet week (don't tell anyone).
4. I'm starving.
5. New place opened up down the street that has something like 40+ bourbons available. Can you guess where I'm going at 5?

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. 12 hour night shift and then I am on vacation for a week.
2. Packing is stressing me out .
3. I am supposed to be sleeping right now.
4. Was supposed to lose 10lbs before vacation. Managed to lose about 4.
5. Pretty sure I will gain them back the first hour if vacation.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Chicken pie for lunch today and it was very very good
2. Contractor screwed up a couple sections of trench drains & blamed the way they are manufactured as to why
3. Its gonna rain all day tomorrow so I'll be checking drainage on the downtown project
4. Had free tickets to the local MiLB game last night, it was very nice outside (& they won 6-2)
5. Does anyone want to talk about soccer? Tomorrow is the last day for the Premier League & 2 teams are vying for the title

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a visioning event this morning - I was the "final exam" for a regional group that's been learning about issues in our region. The room was so warm/stuffy that I was sweating before I was done giving them the instructions. By the time we were all done, I felt like I needed to be put in a dryer.

2) Came home for lunch (the event was about 10 min away) and the dog was very happy to see me. I really needed to change clothes!

3) Sunny day, would really love to not have to work this afternoon.

4) Need to do some shopping this weekend - I purged a lot before the move (clothes get donated unless in too bad shape) and now don't have any khakis.

5) I have no idea of else I'm going to do. Maybe the movies?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Chocolate pie
2. In your eye
3. Make it a date
4. It'll be great
5. Burma Shave

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Lunch date with the GF today
2. Made for a good Friday
3. Trying the Swedish cafe tomorrow
4. Hopefully they won't be serving too much Swedish food.:puke:
5. My grandma heaven will be smiling the whole time I'm there.:halo:

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Bad week at work. My manager is a freaking saint to put up with unloading I did on him the past few days.
2. Reconnected this afternoon with a former coworker I hadn't heard from in about 12 years. That was nice.
3. The Boys Next Door are heading out to southern California for a week. I'm a tad jealous.
4. Dinner and a movie tomorrow night (actually, reverse that order) with old friends...gotta figure out what throw on the grill.
5. Is it beer-thirty yet?

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Bad week at work. My manager is a freaking saint to put up with unloading I did on him the past few days.
2. Reconnected this afternoon with a former coworker I hadn't heard from in about 12 years. That was nice.
3. The Boys Next Door are heading out to southern California for a week. I'm a tad jealous.
4. Dinner and a movie tomorrow night (actually, reverse that order) with old friends...gotta figure out what throw on the grill.
5. Is it beer-thirty yet?
1. Better week at work. Did have a weird juxtaposition of an award notification for a good-sized contract arriving yesterday at about the same time as an invitation to interview with another firm, though.
2. Checked in with another former coworker - turns out he's changing firms, and will now be in a area that will make it easier to grab lunch with him on occasion.
3. Still a tad jealous of The Boys Next Door and their vacation - it's been darn hot here his week.
4. We saw John Wick 3 (which was freaking awesome escapism), and then munched on a pork shoulder my buddy had smoked that afternoon. Solid.
5. RJ-ing out around noon today. :cool:

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Back to the Swedish cafe for brunch tomorrow
2. The ballet on Sunday after church
3. The Coast on Monday
4. Basically, I have tonight free and that's it
5. We got our first batch of cherries down here.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Short day today because of a long day earlier in the week. The long day was a requirement, not a choice, so I'm making the choice to shorten today to compensate.

2) My boss is about to leave on a multi-week vacation. We will see if this is good or bad for the department - she is the glue that keeps us from loosing our sh!t.

3) We have a new employee starting next week, and two interns starting the week after. Have to factor in some training time,

4) Going to be hot and humid for the long weekend. Humid like 85% and above, with no rain.

5) Maybe I'll hang some pictures in the new house. Or maybe I'll rearrange furniture. Or do some other house-related tasks.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I had a similar thing as bubba's #1 several years ago. I won the job & left the company.
2. Was on-site last night / this morning from 10:30pm to 2:30am watching water valves being replaced in big downtown project (2 failed in final inspections).
3. This weekend includes (trying) to play golf Sunday & a pool party Monday which begins with watching the Championship Promotion Match.
4. In reference to Monday's match ... UP THE VILLA!!!
5. The Girl got big news last night at the HS Band Banquet.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. This has been one motherin' long week!
2. I really really NEED a long weekend right now.
3. I don't think we're going to go to any parades this weekend
4. I suspect I will start painting the house trim tomorrow
5. pizza sounds good for lunch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am meeting with an attorney who is representing a developer because his proposal will not go as he wants it to, and we are going to offer him a better alternative that will take up more of my time. However his current request is filled with so many holes that I am going to have a field day driving a mac truck through it.
2) And the heat is on. In the 90's today and every day for the next week. Oh and the wives car needs the AC repaired. Some reports say that today is the coolest day for a while.
3) I really need to get back into the gym. My body fat % is is higher than I want, muscle % is lower than I want. The time at the pool has made me realize that.
4) My shop is about 80% done. I need to build some shelves and get things off the ground.
5) A Facebook question asked if I could travel anywhere for free, where would I go. My first thought was I am happy here, but then I thought of Ireland, Italy, and everything in between.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. People around here seem to think barricades into construction areas are only a suggestion.
2. My TPMS has been intermittent lately. It might be the heat, it might not.
3. This short week has felt very long.
4. One of our customer service people had to come into my office yesterday and tell me about a customer with body odor. Why?
5. I'm going to have some ice cream later today. Do you want to know how?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Budget season is coming to a close and I am happy about that.
2) We go to dinner on Fridays. Might try a new place tonight.
3) Systematic process are put in place for a reason...
4) I need to request another computer for my conference room... given that we are already getting 4 computers replaced this fall, what is one more?
5) Since I am new to my town, I decided that Friday is meet at least one local business owner day. My goal is to meet them all by Christmas.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Cramming 5 days of work into 4 days is tough. Add one day out of the office for training, and it gets even worse.

2) Going out to eat this weekend. Fancy new restaurant got rave reviews from friends, and good reviews online.

3) I might make a run to HD for new light fixtures this weekend. It will involve taking the old ones down for sizing, though . . .

4) I want a nap.

5) There's some gelato in my freezer, calling my name . . .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I feel off-kilter today
2. I mean I feel seriously off-kilter, as in questioning the whole repertoire of normality sort of off-kilter
3. I don't know what to do this weekend
4. Why stop at the weekend....I don't know what to do with this life
5. What purpose does our existence serve?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. It makes me happy when I receive a bill and there's no amount due.
2. No Brownfields Grant for me.
3. Women's World Cup starts today!
4. Seems really slow around here this morning.
5. I hope the projected rain does not interfere with weekend plans.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) New interns are working out well. We currently have 3, and with the mix of skill sets and interests, we can cover all duties and tasks. Whee!

2) Looking forward to the busy weekend. I'm heading out for some me-time, then doing family time on Sunday.

3) I think I'm missing some areas when it comes to training the new people. Is it because I'm new enough myself that I just don't know, or is it a general failing on my part?

4) Summer meetings are going to be a beating. Renovations = lack of conference rooms, school's out = lower attendance, last quarter of the FY = appointments/reappointments, and the ever-fun By-Law reviews and updates (as needed) = arguing over the details. This will be fun!

5) My interest in being here today is low, but my need to be here is high. Wish I cold get those two things aligned . . .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I have like 10 thread ideas floating around my head today.

2) I have spent very little time in my office this week... and I have loved every bit of my job.

3) I hope that St. Louis can close it out and win Game 6 on Sunday and home to hoist the cup in front of the home crowd. However it is still at 8 PM game and I have to be at work the next morning...

4) Ate and a regional chicken place for lunch... and now I am experiencing the post lunch crash. Not enjoyable.

5) I kind of enjoy the rain...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Hockey is done for the season and I am sad about that... I think it is time to change my avatar.
2) I have been thinking a lot about computer portability this week.
3) The past two weeks have been unusually busy for me... but I think that it will become my usual and given how much fun I have had with it, I am good with it.
4) Found out that some neighbors are moving to FL for 2 years and renting out their house while they are away. We are sad because they are wonderful people.
5) I really want to get into some of the vacant buildings in my downtown to explore what the potential is.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) I am going after a different job after 5 years in this one and possibly going from a town with 3 new houses since 2000 to one that built 40 just last year. Totally different set of issues. I kinda want to see what the other side looks like.
2.) Hoping to swim 1.5 miles on Sunday.
3.) Hoping to see Lucas Giolito shut down the Yankees tonight for the White Sox. He is on a major roll and a win can at long last get the Sox to .500.
4.) Fathers day with kids. Should be nice and relaxing.
5.) Went to a very interesting seminar on housing last night.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Only 2 bidders showed up - gotta rebid.
2. Finance asked if they could use money out of Planning's budget for a Public Works project. I don't care, it's the city's money anyway. If I need something & don't have funds, I better get the same consideration/accommodation. Some department heads are really selfish with "their" money.
3. The last 2 weeks have been stressful here as well. The Girl asked me last evening during our walk if I was okay.
4. Well at least its kinda slow today, I'll need to walk downtown to avoid the afternoon slump.
5. So much for the regular meal thingy - we had pizza last night so not sure what's for dinner tonight.