• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Five Things Friday

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had the Annual Big Event today, and it went well. Our speaker kept things rolling (we're on a time limit) and we finished a little early (at least our portion finished a little early).

2) Got complimented by A Big Deal guy from our western Big City, and it gives me the warm fuzzies.

3) Have movie tickets and lunch plans with dad this weekend. He's going through some stuff, so I'm glad to have this time with him.

4) One of our interns is too efficient. I keep giving her things to do, and she keeps finishing them. And she keeps asking for more to do. And get this - she does it all well!! :wow::wow::wow:

5) I need a nap. Like, I'm about to face plant.

Bubba

Cyburbian
4) One of our interns is too efficient. I keep giving her things to do, and she keeps finishing them. And she keeps asking for more to do. And get this - she does it all well!! :wow::wow::wow:
Give it time - she'll be bitter and jaded soon enough. :halo:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. not a pay day
2. I am leaving 1/2 hr early - does not count as RJing
3. My volunteer work is interesting.
4. got to do laundry.
5. printed out a B&N 20% coupon.

DVD

Cyburbian
1. See HomerJ above
2. See HomerJ above
3. See HomerJ above
4. I hope Dr. Pepper helps.
5. I really just don't want to review the "therapy animal" place.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The Girl heads off to camp this weekend
2. Entire next week looks like it will be in the 90s
3. Had a ribbon cutting today at a new business and the owners said how good it was to work with our staff (Mayor & most Council was there too)
4. Afternoon slump trying to creep in, must avoid
5. Happy summer solstice day!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Less than one week till I'm on the road to New England for a week's vacation.
2. I am the only employee here on my side of the building.
3. Had a screw in my tire. DPW truck had a kit in it and it took approximately 30 seconds to plug it. Score!
4. Working on a 100M plus project. Very exciting yet a bit scary at the same time.
5. I literally see at least one alligator every day. Just something that I'd never thought I'd say in my lifetime.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. USWNT v France kickoff soon. TV in adjacent conference room will be on.
2. I might or might not have plans for this evening, based on Mrs. P needing to run by her parents house.
3. I try not to use the AC in the car (windows down & sunroof open), but once it hits 90 I have to turn it to high.
4. There's no way I can justify a $500,000 difference in bids for the next phase. Have to go with low bidder, but don't really want to.
5. Part of me wants to purge random stuff I have at home, part of me does not.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Less than one week till I'm on the road to New England for a week's vacation.
2. I am the only employee here on my side of the building.
3. Had a screw in my tire. DPW truck had a kit in it and it took approximately 30 seconds to plug it. Score!
4. Working on a 100M plus project. Very exciting yet a bit scary at the same time.
5. I literally see at least one alligator every day. Just something that I'd never thought I'd say in my lifetime.
Hey, coming up to Maine?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I ate too much at lunch today and I am carb crashing right now...
2) The gym that I was thinking about joining is not going to be a good fit. I am looking for something a bit more upscale than what they were offering. The footprint of the place was way too small and people were just short of tripping over each other. The price was on par with planet fitness, but had substantially less resources.
3) The forecast calls for 90's ever day for the next 15. Summer is here!
4) Local business owner was going to stop in today for some paperwork... he never did.
5) I just noticed a potential schedule issue for when I am gone on vacation this summer.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Hubby's birthday, so dinner reservations!

2) Had to force my mother to adhere to our preferences on going out WITHOUT the dogs. She's not happy but the alternative is that she doesn't go - and she wants to participate.

3) Still have several blank walls in the house, and several pictures we don't want to hang/don't agree on where to hang. Hubby thinks we should have it all done by now, whereas I think it will happen as we go along.

4) Am not enjoying the budget process. Not my strong point, and I also don't like asking for money.

5) My intern is working out well. Just wish she wasn't going to miss 2 weeks in July - we will be busy without her.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. This is not a normal Friday. I don't know what day of the week it feels like.
2. It's been hot and humid quite a bit lately
3. Yes I know 'hot' is a relative term.
4. Time to get back to the gym regularly
5. More than anything, I just want it to be 5:00 right now. Seriously.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) There are a couple more of us in the office than I expected.

2) Nice and quiet - like I expected - but not as productive as I am tired.

3) I ordered a goody box from thredup. I'm not as happy with the results as I am with my Stitch Fix box, but I am glad I gave it a whirl. I did get a couple items out of it.

4) Weather is close to usual/normal - mid 90's - and will get hotter from here.

5) Registered for my state APA conference today. It's in wildly exciting Waco this year.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) It is after 5:00 PM on Friday and I am waiting for a developer to get me a required document so I can send something out...
2) Looks like rain
3) I have a ton of things I need to do with training this year.
4) I think that I am going to spend some time in my shop tomorrow morning
5) I like the discussion regarding the Flag in the Political thread. It is further proof that people in here are willing to engage in meaningful dialog about political issues.... Something DC seems to be unable to do.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Junior agreed to leave his smart phone downstairs to charge (as opposed to his bedroom) at night. This is a HUGE concession. He was burning the midnight oil watching YouTube videos
2. I'm in the mood for homemade chocolate chip cookies
3. I don't often crave sweets, usually I'm more of a salty snack guy
4. hard to believe summer break is one third over
5. I still haven't scheduled a family vacation, but we're having severe budget issues

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. not a pay day
2. not as hot as 2 days ago
3. haven't though about RJing
4. put in vacation request to the man
5. there are 2 more months of summer

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Ongoing personal issues really put a damper on my weekend enjoyment.

2) RJing today for dog issues. Still, will be nice to beat traffic.

3) Is it OK to not like your job sometimes? I'm in a rut on a personal level, and it's affecting the other aspects of my life. I really want to just stay home and pet my dog everyday.

4) A coworker gave me some good news, and I'm happy for her. She's one of the good ones.

5) No interns in the office today. It'll be quiet.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Crazy person has called the office 3 times and caused my normally sweet admin to lose her shit.
2. RT is in the office with me today.
3. Need to drive down to the beach house tonight instead of tomorrow morning because the tree people are coming at 830am.
4. Looking forward to two days at the beach and seeing friends at a cookout on Sunday.
5. Found the $0.55 in one of my program budgets that I've been trying to figure out for a week.

DVD

Cyburbian
1. Spending half my day at the counter.
2. Some neighbor is coming in angry about what the other neighbor did.
3. Kids are going up to their uncle's house
4. I expect the kids will be bored or home sick by tomorrow morning if not sooner.
5. Uncle lives in a trailer in northern Arizona, but there is a roster.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The week started on a sour note, but has improved slightly at workplace.
2. There's a customer service person who doesn't like it if she doesn't get her way.
3. Front counter work can be "interesting" sometimes.
4. Downtown concert tonight - hope it doesn't rain!
5. No RJing today, but next Friday I'm taking the whole day!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Probably the busiest work week I've ever had following a vacation. But that's how it goes.
2. Today is payday. And for some strange reason, we got two checks, one for the last week of the fiscal year, one for the first. Never saw that before.
3. We have a nice perk here of two small fridges stocked with bottled water and soda. I can get my Coke Zero fix for free!
4. However we don't have a dedicated break room so eating at my desk is the norm. Sometimes I'll commandeer an empty conference room. One has cable!
5. I have a meeting out of the office at 2 (seriously!). Hoping it goes just long enough to not justify driving back to the office.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I. Feels warmer out there than the thermometer reading.
II. Woke up with a sore hamstring - yeah, that's right - I actually managed to strain a hammy while sleeping. I'm talented like that.
III. Probably going to head over to the farmers market on the town square near the old house tomorrow (it's a bit of a schlep from the new house).
IV. There's a new-ish brewery a couple of blocks south of the square with a taproom. That's apparently my incentive to get up and moving tomorrow morning. :beer:
V. My travel schedule next week is rough, but not the worst I've ever had.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I'm bored and want to go home. But I'm the adult in the dept today, so I can't go home. Being an adult is hard.

2) Busy weekend planned!

3) Part of the plans include brunch and museum in the Big Town Next Door.

4) Next week I'm out of the office 3 days for a conference.

5) My intern came back from 2 weeks vacation (family stuff/wedding scheduled way before she started here) and I realize a) that I missed her, b) she's an awesome employee, and c) I wish we could keep her after graduation.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I feel like I'm working in adult day care sometimes
2. Continued smoothing out issues from yesterday
3. Had to stand in for someone & do a presentation last night
4. All we ask for is a little respect
5. Vacay in 1 week!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am drinking a local cold beer (Sweet Josie Brown)
2) Today was not awesome and it got in my head
3) I am an extremely social person and being in public energies me. The wife is 100% opposite. Do here I am on a Friday night watching old hockey games.
4) We are looking to go to Hersheypark in two weeks. We just need to confirm the puppy sitter. I just hope Saturday’s in August are not too busy.
5) Our neighbors are awesome.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I purchased three T-bone steaks on sale last night. I'm going to put a rub on during lunchtime and will use my good mesquite charcoal this evening for the occasion
2. I purchased a tall boy six pack of Hamm's last night too. One must stay properly hydrated while back yard grilling
3. Intend to finish scraping and painting the front and rear porches this weekend
4. Junior's counselling sessions have met with mixed results
5. There's a free movie night (Spiderman, popcorn, police vehicle/equipment exhibition) put on by the Police Dept. tonight. I wonder if Junior would be interested in attending

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Back in the office after 3 days at a conference. Some really great sessions, but also a couple of snoozers.

2) Most of the vendor schwag was typical - pens, kusie, etc - but one presenter had schwag bags with useful stuff - reusable water bottle, glass cleaning cloth, plant seeds (in a little container with instructions), and thumb drive.

3) I'm tired but have work to do.

4) No big plans this weekend other than some house organizing/rearranging and errands.

5) Might rain, which means we might not hit triple digits.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. Payday - 'nuff said
2. lunch time
3. tomorrow library book sale
4. made over 9K edits as USGS National Map Corps Volunteer
5. banana loaf - yummy

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. I love starting my day with a credible Fair Housing violation complaint said nobody ever.
2. Payday. There's still some left over.
3. Do I drive down to the beach house tonight or early tomorrow morning?
4. I hate drafting legal agreements.
5. My boss is in meetings all day so it's quiet in the office.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the traffic still bad on the Parkway on a friday between 5 &10 pm ?
It mostly peters out by 8pm. That's generally about the time I leave Newark. It's about an 1:20 ride to Exit 80 with most of the backup over the Driscoll bridge through Point Pleasant. Sometimes shows at the PNC Art Center impact the traffic as well.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
It mostly peters out by 8pm. That's generally about the time I leave Newark. It's about an 1:20 ride to Exit 80 with most of the backup over the Driscoll bridge through Point Pleasant. Sometimes shows at the PNC Art Center impact the traffic as well.
So somethings have not changed over 40 years on GSP.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Well, the Garden State Arts Center is now called by the rather garish name of PNC Arts Center. Have we no pride left at all?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Well, the Garden State Arts Center is now called by the rather garish name of PNC Arts Center. Have we no pride left at all?
Stadia and arenas that didn't start their existence with corporate-purchased naming rights generally retain their original given names in my mind.

DVD

Cyburbian
What must really piss off the naming people is that some stadium always retain their original corporate name.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Looking forward to visiting the sweetest place on earth tomorrow
2) It is so cold in my office, I could hang beef in the corner
3) I have a substantial stack of stuff that I need to file
4) There is not enough hours in the day to complete my to-do lists
5) This morning I learned that my kids like cold pizza for breakfast.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) No interns today so I did door duty at someone else's meeting.

2) Still have a lot to do on my plate, but want to get home early.

3) Hubby gets back tonight from a business trip (see #2).

4) We had, what was for Texas, a mild July. August, however, started with triple digit temps and continues with heat indexes of 107-109. I think my car is going to melt.

5) Going by the donation place at lunch. Hopefully this is the last load for a while. And since Hubby's been gone (see #3), maybe he won't notice what's missing . . .

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Jetblue's website is not allowing me to complete a transaction today which means I can't buy a ticket for my husband to come home from the DR.
2. If one more person comes into my office today I am going to explode.
3. Attorneys are mostly lazy.
4. It has rained a lot this week.
5. I am looking forward to being a the beach this weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I know there's a ton of things to do around the house this weekend but I'm not feeling very motivated at the moment
2. I do, however, feel motivated to finish off the growler of Lattitude 42 Amber ale I bought last night
3. I would enjoy it if one of the women here started a 'woman card advisory board' thread like the guys did a few years ago
4. I am dying for a Vernor's right now. Failing that, a Canada Dry.
5. What to grill this weekend what to grill?.....

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I'm thinking of grilling chicken tonight. Need to look back and find kjel's corn "rub" recipe
2. Reunion Parade was yesterday
3. The Girl starts school on Aug. 26th, but the 1st football game is Aug. 23rd
4. Friends are having an end of summer pool party this Saturday including big cookout with local restaurant owner
5. The exterior of the house needs painting & I don't want to do it nor pay for someone else either, but that's not realistic

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Not planning to grill anything this weekend.
2. There's plenty of work to do
3. I may come in to work this weekend too.
4. People that say 'do what you dream and the money will follow' are pretty much full of crap IMHO
5. My dog squared off with an animal in the yard last night. I heard the commotion but the critter took off before I could see what it was.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
1. Almost every day I have the same bus driver on the way to work
2. Today it was a different bus driver
3. What happened to the regular driver?
4. Will I have the same driver I usually do on the way home?
5. What if the bus doesn't even show up?!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Busy day today. Lots of smaller tasks that have to be done before the bigger tasks can be completed.

2) Elevators out in the building this morning. Fun time setting up for a day-long meeting on another floor . . .

3) Helping older parents with tech stuff this weekend. Props to :heart:Hubby who is taking the lead on this!

4) Taking some work home this weekend. Trying to get all the back-office stuff organized to make it easier down the road.

5) We had a cold front come through this week. Temps dropped down to 97 degrees F!

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) I am in a swim race this weekend
2.) New job is going well. I need to up my game. Pace is faster.
3.) Kid #2 goes to college in 5 days.
4.) My cost of housing is about to go way up.
5.) I have blown 4 bike tires this season. WTF?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) So, is this thread about 1 thing broken into 5 parts or about five separate and individual things that are completely independent of each other.
2) Tomorrow morning I am going to drive down to a greenhouse to pick up some plants. The place is mostly a wholesale establishment but sells to the general public at a low cost. They are only open from 6 to 3 on Monday - Friday and until noon on Saturday.
3) It is national roller coaster and national joke day. Reminds me of a story about a priest and a rabbi who went on a roller coaster... (stop me if you heard this one...)
4) Today is the first day that the youngest gets to walk home from the bus stop with the oldest... unfortunately , weather might move in so I might have to go pick them up instead. When I was his age, I had to walk 3 miles, up hill both ways, in a blizzard, with old bread bags in my boots to keep my feet dry every day to get to and home from school... with pterodactyls chasing me!
5) When you are on vacation, do you try to recruit awesome businesses to your town?

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Front wheel bearing being replaced....$400....oh joy
2.) Going to see Hobbs and Shaw tonight with 2 of my kids
3.) I think Storm Water Lawyer could become a new stand alone occupation
4.) Have my first P&Z meeting here on Monday evening
5.) I am excited to have a weekend with no driving. I will get to bike both days...relax, drink coffee and watch the Premier League.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Got my steps in today. Had a department delivery, and it took 4 of us, 2 trips with dollies to get it back to our building.

2) Hopefully leaving early today - depends how my new computer installation goes.

3) Taking the :dog:dog:dog: to the vet tomorrow. Fun times.

4) Got tickets to a Ranger game next month. I'm taking dad for his birthday, plus it's the last season in that park. I got seats that won't be in the sun the whole time.

5) I'm trying to keep my head above water with a research project, but my floaties are deflating.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. The new computer is bought and set up.
2. It's another Mac, of course.
3. Taking the old one to BB and see if I can get a gift card out of it.
4. College move in day this weekend.
5. With two universities, it's going to be a fun weekend.:wow: