• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Five Things Friday

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Working on getting approval for a new interstate exit is a lot of work but I'm actually enjoying the process and all that is involved with such an endeavor.
2. I guess elected officials will never understand that adopting a master plan doesn't have to involve having a discussion about what color the park benches will be.
3. Replacing my front brake pads and rotors this weekend.
4. I drove almost 5,000 miles in July and the first two weeks of August.
5. We have some wild hogs in the area. They can really do a number on a car if you hit one. (no, not from personal experience)

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The weathergirl said this weekend is supposed to be cooler - I hope so
2. Went to a funeral of a church and community patriarch who I got to know. Great guy.
3. Met a guy last night at a restaurant who was from here, but lived in my hometown now. Great conversation because we both knew about the other each others places.
4. Our dog knows what cars are 'allowed' at the house & those that aren't 'supposed' to be there.
5. Our friends car is in the shop & she has a rental (see #4).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
4. Our dog knows what cars are 'allowed' at the house & those that aren't 'supposed' to be there.
Dogs are very smart that way. Now if they'd just use the toilet and flush we'd be all set.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Wife and I are going out to a fancy restaurant for a date night tomorrow. It is in a historic Second Empire Mansion in downtown.
2) It was below 60 for the first time in while this morning when I went running.
3) We have a former neighbor who just moved to Port St. Lucie... and is currently in the direct path of the hurricane. They still own their house up here and the renters don't move in until October, so I suggested that they come back up until the hurricane passed.
4) I ate crap food all day yesterday and today I am not feeling awesome.
5) Mini-skis loves the game of baseball and he is really good at fielding and is by the far the fastest kid on his team... in terms of batting, well, we need to work on that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1) this is not April Fools Day
2) and yet it seems to be
3) the world is topsy turvy
4) at least its a half day at work
5) yay

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
1) The cracks and edges of the sidewalks in my Legacy City downtown are rife with wildflowers (weeds?) and I want to create an urban herbarium (if I had the time).
2) I hate mornings.
3) Going to be chilly on the lake this weekend.
4) Weird dream last night that someone was banging on the front door at 4:00 am and the dog was barking. I woke up thinking that I needed to shut the dog up. But we don't own a dog. That's how real my dream was.
5) Thank goodness for Starbucks.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I like pumpkin Reeses but not pumpkin spice
2. Grilling steak tonight
3. I have relatives on both Florida coastlines (& grew up there) so hurricanes always intrigue me
4. Our good friends are on vacation in and around Portland, OR & they keep sending us pictures #jealous
5. My eyes are burning from posting

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Was hoping the boss wasn't going to be in today. Alas, hopes dashed.

2) Hubby's company is closing early today. Jealous, but it does give him a chance to start fixing a dinner that requires extra time.

3) Baseball game this weekend! Good (not great) seats and am taking Dad.

4) Otherwise, the weekend will be slow.

5) I don't mind the pumpkin color so much, but I was surprised to see it this morning. My brain thinks it's too early yet for Fall . . .

kms

Cyburbian
1. I’m enjoying the citrusy effervescence of a San Pelligrini Clementina beverage.
2. I have two bike rides this weekend. The mileage to drive to one will be higher than the bike riding mileage.
3. My bike has seen many miles of scenery and open roads on the way to bike rides.
4. I rode my bike around on the back of my car on Ride Your Bike to Work Day.
5. I also share hotel rooms with my bike.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Some say love, it is a river, that drowns the tender reed. Some say love, it is a razor, that leaves your soul to bleed
2. Have court this morning. Oh boy.
3. I'm never going to get the house trim painted before winter hits
4. Disappointment is the overarching theme I'm feeling today
5. Could a partnership consisting of three people living in three different states actually be able to function as a business?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. not a pay day
2. the weather is changing cooler temps in the morning
3. coffee is good
4. because it is friday I RJed today
5. ever have work disappoitments ?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Pay day
2. Found out my employer actually pays us for hours worked after 8 during hurricanes. Unexpected but appreciated!
3. Pretty much a lost week work wise. Rescheduling meetings is going to take half the day.
4. Going to a Gamecocks game tomorrow. This Big 10 guy will be tailgating with some SEC folks.
5. For some reason I signed up to play fall softball. I'm getting too old for this.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Had dinner last night with nephew who evacuated from Charleston. He's loaded up with supplies & returns today.
2. Our Dorian experience consisted of a nice breeze yesterday.
3. Working on an ED item which might just help the downtown effort.
4. Rumor has it the mayoral race might be calm now this year.
5. Looks like the weekend is full & starts with grilling tonight.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Short day today, since I had 2 long days (even with the holiday).

2) Stopping by the Big Orange Box store for a couple of things on my way home. Small projects on the to-do list for the weekend.

3) Hubby is very happy football is back. I don't really care.

4) It's supposed to be over 100 this weekend. This week has been 98-99. It's way too hot for September.

5) I have no travel plans until November. Then it's constant through the holidays.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Very quiet day in the office. Fully half of staff is either working from home or out of the office.

2) No big plans for the weekend. Movie, maybe some yard work.

3) I don't get to work from home Monday. Boo.

4) Pumpkin beers are starting to show up in the stores. Yum!

5) Am ready for a nap. Didn't sleep well last night and am dragging today.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
! Today is employee appreciation luncheon. Free food about covers the lunch part of it. One of my staff was recognized. Maybe we'll win a door prize.
@ It's still bloody dry and hot - 93' with a forecast of 96'. Mowing the grass tomorrow I should wear a respirator for all the dust there will be.
# I hear the backstreet boys are in town tonight. Ducats in the nosebleeds were selling for $150. I couldn't name a single song, so No, I ain't agoing. Lots of folks are excited though, so good for them.
$ A couple of our local developers always come up with crummy site plans. A simple improvement is so obvious, I just don't get why they don't see it straight away.
% I'm ready for fall temperatures, for sure.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I had a cupcake for breakfast
2. I had Mexican for lunch
3. Probably going to grill chicken tonight
4. Need to mow the grass tomorrow
5. Would like to go to Sasquatch festival tomorrow

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Actually, a chocolate cupcake sounds pretty good right now
2. I had pizza for lunch
3. Heading down to Amish country tomorrow
4. Time to stock up on popcorn and grass fed beef
5. I have to wear reading glasses, but I'm glad I don't need to wear glasses all the time

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am absolutely drained from a crazy busy week. I am thrilled with everything that done and the direction that we are going, but I am going to enjoy my weekend... I might only stop in the office for two hours tomorrow!
2) We might be at full staff for our department my middle of next month which would be freaking awesome.
3) My oldest just learned that middle school has track. He is scary fast so I could see him doing really well with that.
4) The ESRI customer service people have been really great to work with today. I was a very pleasant surprise.
5) The landscaping around our City Hall is like a park right now. But the head of he grounds department was complaining about the maintenance and wants to take everything out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Junior announced he has a girlfriend yesterday. It has begun.
2. I wasn't particularly impressed with the final episode of Ken Burns country music documentary
3. I don't care for tequila one bit. And I don't care what you mix it with to disguise it.
4. Chicago style pizza sounds good right now.
5. Ice cold beer doesn't sound very good right now. Then again, it is 9:30 a.m.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) It's quiet in our department, but not the one next to us. Man, they are LOUD today!

2) It's Hot, Humid, and Sunny - must be time for the :texas:State:texas: Fair!

3) Sometimes, I wonder "what if". Other times, I believe in destiny and karma.

4) Nothing much going on this weekend. Will watch a few new pilots I recorded, and then decide whether to add them in to the viewing rotation.

5) Was listening to Gastropod this morning. Made me hungry for Pudding!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I had local bbq for lunch & it was good
2. It's been a long and interesting week - at work, home & news
3. A downtown merchant admitted to me today that he was essentially trolling a couple other businesses
4. I've always believed in karma
5. I'm going to RJ very soon...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am watching pre-season red wings hockey game on TV tonight and it tied at the moment.
2) I have a great consultant story, but I will tell that story in a different place sometime this weekend. Let’s just say it resulted in a mini-road trip.
3) Wife and I are celebrating our 12 anniversary tomorrow, we have reservations at a super nice restaurant, and as of tonight she is not feeling well.
4) Mini-skis and I are going to spend some time at the batting cages this weekend. He needs the practice.
5)This week has been an epic challenge on so many levels.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1) Allergy shot day! I leave early every other Friday.
2) Apple Harvest Festival.
3) Mrs. is on call this weekend. :(
4) Printing out copies of the FBC draft for a planning board meeting next Tuesday.
5) Got a new razor today. A 1966 Gillette Slim adjustable safety razor.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I like salted peanuts more than anyone else I know
2. Junior has been sick and this will be his third school day missed this week
3. There's a huge annual regional cross-country meet taking place across the street from my house tomorrow
4. Guess I should plan on staying home all day tomorrow because experience says I won't be able to back out of my driveway til after 6 p.m.
5. Otherwise, I would probably get some cider & donuts at one of the local mills tomorrow.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Wow, it's been awhile since I posted here
2. Oktoberfest is tomorrow.
3. It's the closest we get to a Fall Festival here
4. Craig Johnson's Land of Wolves was a very good read
5. I'm starting to relate to the Longmire character more and more.
6. However JNA could relate to his anti tech attitude.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I've decorated my office with Witch and Spider themed items. Wire ribbons, doorhangers, trivet, plaque (The Witch Is In) and so on.

2) I like that I have the opportunity and ability to display some of my personality and preferences at the office. Yes, I like Halloween, but don't put me in charge of office parties.

3) Heading to the State Fair this weekend!

4) Next couple of weeks at the office are going to be BUSY!

5) Anyone else still waiting for Fall? It's in the 90's here . . .

Planit

Cyburbian
1. bigly festival here tomorrow & already loading things up to put out first thing in the morning
2. another 90+ degrees today, but THEY say the high will be 69 tomorrow
3. the new splash pad opened yesterday & it was crowded - I guess its good to stay hot a couple more days
4. Mrs. P is mad at me, I gave her the crude I'm now over (for the most part)
5. mom is in rehab and doing well however she'll have some lifestyle changes once she's home

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Posted a pic of me in front of Big Tex at the State Fair. Hubby pointed out it's not my best picture, but in my defense, it was 95 degrees and I was in my comfy, beat the heat clothes.

2) Brunch with the in-laws this weekend.

3) My intern turned in her notice today. Boo. I knew it was coming, but still. Boo.

4) Finally, fall weather is here! At least until tomorrow.

5) Quiet in the office. I'm hoping to get some paperwork completed and off my plate.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Homecoming for Iowa this weekend, but I am sort of tired of going to games right now. Iowa has disappointed me greatly the last 2 weeks.
2) Only 2 more weeks of being able to ride the bike after work then the dark times begin.
3) Its nice to live in a place that has outlets again
4) I am now 5 months from when I filed my child support modification, and still nothing yet so I am still paying for the 2 kids that graduated. Its getting very old waiting. I should be paying $500 a month less now.
5) I might actually have a date coming up. Even when I wasnt really seeking it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. When I saw Salmissra's Big Tex picture I very nearly posted "Wow, that is one big Texan! And that statue in back is pretty awesome too!" but thought the joke might not be well received.
2. I made a bowl of popcorn to enjoy while watching the Great British Baking Show last night. After making it I went upstairs to change. Junior shouted upstairs to ask if he could have some. I said sure. By the time I came back down it was entirely gone!
3. We have too many knickknacks/dust-catchers in our house
4. I have a gut feeling this is not going to be a great weekend. Something is going to happen that might ruin it. I hope not.
5. Intend to do some baking this weekend.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Rain please don't start until about 9:00 pm Saturday
2. Friend's b-day party tonight
3. Brother comes in town tomorrow and we'll need to talk about mom's rehab & future
4. I'm so tired of the news cycle right now
5. I don't look good in pictures either

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. This coffee is hot. That's not necessarily a bad thing.
2. Junior is gone tonight and tomorrow night....what to do? what to do?
3. Tacos sound really good right now. This should probably go in the 'food wish at this moment' thread but wth I'm posting it here
4. Civilization is a really really good game idea
5. I have court this morning. Boo.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Damp, dreary, rainy day
2. Rainy weekend in store
3. Said weather killed my weekend plans
4. Looking forward Christmas flight
5. The reason the holidays seem cheapened is because people realized they could make a lot of money off of them.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. This morning was spent in a nutrition meeting followed by telling the drone pilot where to fly.
2. The potential weather is making weekend plans - shall we say flexible.
3. I called out a coworker for driving 2 blocks today to go to lunch.
4. We're hoping mom can come up for Christmas as usual, but that might change due to recent medical issues.
5. Good sleep has been avoiding me lately.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Drove an hour in the dark and rain this morning to a panel discussion on . . . Mobility.

2) It's in the 40's with a strong wind chill - I needed a scarf with my long coat!

3) The Mobility location also had an early voting area, so I voted while I was there.

4) Weekend plans are flexible except for my hair appt. Only my stylist is allowed to monkey with my appt schedule!

5) Just had some leftover mac-n-cheese with leftover chicken breast for lunch. I think it's nap time now!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I'm taking The Girl to SAT test t'mrrw morning - early too.
2. Good BBQ brisket is hard to find, but I found it at lunch today.
3. Mom is learning how to order groceries and have them delivered with her 'new lifestyle'
4. Cable guy came yesterday afternoon and installed a new modem & ethernet cables - our wifi had been going in and out
5. I'm looking forward to throwing the jack-o-lanterns down the hill in the woods this wknd. Wildlife should enjoy.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Got my flu shot yesterday. Now my arm is a bit sore, but I think that's because I slept on it.

2) Below freezing when I got up. Now it's upper 50's and sunny. Good walking weather.

3) Dog loves the sunshine, especially after the rain and dreariness we've had. She constantly wants to go outside.

4) Have a chance to be a SWAT training exercise volunteer. Don't know yet if I'll do it - they could be full by the time I check with my spouse (it's a weekend event).

5) Have some real exciting plans this weekend - cleaning out the coat closet and organizing the pantry.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Empty Bowl fundraiser Saturday morning
2 It's a good, worthwhile fundraiser
3. Writer's meeting in the afternoon.
4. Then need to buy things for Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.
5. Will try to get some writing in in the evening.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I have a bag of salted in shell peanuts at my desk
2. I feel a little guilty about how messy they are and how the cleaning crews have to vacuum every day
3. Court in 30 mins.
4. Looking forward to the weekend
5. I would like to grill something. Haven't grilled in several weeks

kms

Cyburbian
1. I took off today and have a four day weekend.
2. My friend and I are going to the local museum then for lunch.
3. I have nearly two weeks of vacation to schedule. I was so busy this summer that it feels like I used more vacation time than I did.
4. No snow today, but the TV news stations put everyone in a panic.
5. My family has a macaroni and cheese cook-off tomorrow. My mom is the judge, so we’ll all win. 😊

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Went to an Eastern Classical concert last night
2. It was good and in a nice venue
3. I remembered why I'm not a Rachmaninoff fan
4. Sometimes a chain restaurant is a good thing in a community
5. Don't have much over the three day weekend

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Got my drivers license renewed with The Star - so I'm real now.
2. An applicant in the booth next to me asked the examiner if she did something to make her mad - the examiner said no I'm always like this.
3. The Dog goes to the vet today to update all his shots. I'll pick him up Monday.
4. Mac & Cheese is good comfort food.
5. I'm grilling tonight at the HS football game, I know its not the same thing Maister, but its grilling.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
5. I'm grilling tonight at the HS football game, I know its not the same thing Maister, but its grilling.
When you can stand there with a bottle of Bell's Hopslam in one hand and tongs to turn the steak in the other hand, we'll talk about proper grilling.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Getting together with some HS friends tomorrow....the beer may be flowing
2.) I love Casey's Hazelnut Coffee
3.) Getting my winter fat tire bike all ready to go.
4.) I really want Iowa to beat Wisconsin tomorrow, but am not overly optimistic.
5.) We have a lot of Coyotes around our town that make a lot of noise at night.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Korean food for dinner!
2. I believe in holding off on Christmas decorating after Thanksgiving.
3. But my will is much weaker this year.
4. Went to the gym for the first time in months.
5. I am weak.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I went to the State Chapter APA conference this week, and was only bored in 1 session.

2) Road conditions are terrible because it's all under construction to make it better.

3) This weekend will be a slow one, then it's busy until the holidays are over.

4) Store brand fudge bars. Surprisingly yummy!

5) I really need to get my car washed. But it's supposed to rain on Monday. I think I'll wait . . .

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Belated -

1 - Pay Day
2 - I RJed
3 - Achieved a milestone in volunteer work
4 - did not do laundry
5 - did not run dishwasher

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Got my CMs for this reporting cycle finally
2. Thanks to APA Learn I was able to get sessions from the NOLA conference I paid for but was unable to attend.
3. The Future City:Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow session wa excellent
4. Ordered the stuff for Thanksgiving
5. This year I'm hosting it