• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Five Things Friday

kms

Cyburbian
My son just got out of knee surgery.

The cardiology department must have sponsored hospital breakfast.

Some people just shouldn’t be allowed to operate heavy machinery.

I’m by myself in the waiting room, so I’m eavesdropping on someone’s conversation.

I’m going hiking this weekend.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Intern interviews this morning. I'm ready to be not impressed.

2) Hubby gets to work from home today. Usually, it's a different day, but this week had some scheduling issues.

3) It's really quiet here in the office, which is usual on Fridays. Hope it stays that way.

4) Need to finish up the report for the Governor's office. Due to my boss end of the day today.

5) No leftovers for lunch, so I have to actually leave to find sustenance. Not fun but it happens.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Getting off at 1 today and biking to the State Park
2) The year is rapidly dwindling
3) The gas and electric bills at my new townhouse are wayyyyy lower than the old house I had before. Helps ease the pain of higher cost.
4) I love Grand Funk Railroad
5) Tommy can you hear me?

Reactions: kms

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Friday = payday. Gotta love 3 paydays in one month.
2. Miserable cold rainy day here
3. Got my flu shot
4. Anybody have a good program/spreadsheet for tracking contracts? PM me.
5. I simply must get a good nap in this weekend.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Spent all morning in a housing forum - did not learn a thing
2. Enjoyed lunch at a place I don't often get to go since it's on the other side of the county
3. I'm continued to be amazed that some people think they or the city can snap their fingers and multi-million projects will be done
4. My SIL gets on my nerves every time I see her
5. Robo-call #4 today just occurred & they're one my city line so I have to answer them

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Final College Football game of the season here Saturday. I always enjoy the games, but am glad kind of to get more free weekends and spend less.
2.) People really need to look more at soils and topo when considering a subdivision
3.) Budget time is almost here!
4.) Having Thanksgiving Dinner today with the Senior Dining folks.
5.) I am about to be under 200 lbs for the first time since the 90's.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Just got the antenna working again so we'll be able to watch football and parades on tv for Thanksgiving
2. Finished the T-day shopping last night
3. Figured it was better to get shopping done on a weekday than fight the crowds and possibly run into stocking issues on the weekend
4. Got confirmations all anticipated guests will be attending next Thursday
5. I'm not only over 200 lbs now but am the heaviest I've ever been, and this is before the holiday feasting season has begun. I'm a bit worried about 2 months from now.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Picked up 92 illegal signs over last 2 days - none political
2. My college team is going to get waxed tomorrow, but that seems to be normal
3. The alumni go to home football games to see the band
4. Don't feel great today, but it IS Friday
5. I wish common sense word prevail over selfish endeavors

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
5. I'm not only over 200 lbs now but am the heaviest I've ever been, and this is before the holiday feasting season has begun. I'm a bit worried about 2 months from now.
For some odd reason, I always seem to loose weight during the holidays. I think it's because I know I need to pace myself and be selective about what I eat and how much. I've also heard that starving yourself has the reverse affect. You end up not loosing weight because the body goes into survival mode and hoards what calories it gets.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Rainy and cold here, so I've had a cup of Candy Cane flavored tea and put on my office sweater.

2) Getting T-day fixings tomorrow morning early. As in be there when they open. I figure I'll beat most of the rush.

3) Created a work to-do list for next week. I'm taking advantage of the quiet/lack of distractions to do some back-office type work that's been on my back burner for a while.

4) Have a meeting this afternoon (yeah I know - who schedules these things anyway?) that could go either really well and we all leave with smiles, or really poorly and we leave muttering curses at each other.

5) A potential intern has verbally accepted our offer and is now going through the required HR steps. I hope it all works out!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) 90 Minutes Left
2) I am really feeling rundown this week.
3) There are several events going on this weekend, but I don't feel much like going to any of them.
4) We are pondering pulling our kids out of public school... or at least two of them.
5) Did you know that eating less may help you live longer? Here is a study that says it anyways... This is something that I have not done the past few weeks... perhaps that is why I am feeling run down?

ktrems

Cyburbian
I wonder what happens to the bodies in graveyards when the tide comes up. Too afraid to ask.
I don't have four other things. #1 has been consuming my thoughts.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder what happens to the bodies in graveyards when the tide comes up. Too afraid to ask.
I don't have four other things. #1 has been consuming my thoughts.
I recall reading about this very thing when Katrina hit New Orleans

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Today is the traditional Employees Appreciation Lunch (that we don't call the Christmas / Holiday lunch - & that's okay)
2. It is confirmed that mom won't be coming north for the holidays - still can't travel
3. I don't like 'flavored' beers
4. I finished addressing our Christmas cards, now mailing shall take place
5. We can't set up our tree until next weekend, Mrs. P is having the carpets cleaned next week

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. Got my CMs plus the full carry over for this reporting cycle.
2. Pay Day
3. 8 working day left this year.
4. need to do laundry.
5. need to run the dishwasher.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The holiday office party next Fri. will be a 5:01 at a local bar
2. Easy in easy out. Not a bad arrangement in my view
3. Seems like more friction than usual at home. That ends up affecting everything else.
4. I don't think we're going to roast any chestnuts on an open fire this year
5. Haven't looked at the long term forecast - I wonder if snow is on its way any time soon?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Going to a Mavs game this weekend with Hubby. Will be a Date Night!:heart::lips:

2) The atmosphere at work is weird right now. I don't think it's all the holidays. My antennae are telling me something is about to drop. So now I'm feeling like I'm just waiting for the first shoe to drop.

3) Was thinking of waiting a bit to put up the tree, but after looking at my schedule I need to do it this weekend.

4) New intern starts next week! I was hoping my pregnant planner could get him started on a couple of her things so while she's out on maternity leave he could be babysitting those things. However, she's out early and there's going to be a steep learning curve for the rest of us.

5) I'd really rather be at home today.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Wet & Cold today
2. Going to the ballet tonight in the big city
3. I really hate fake niceties
4. HS winter band concert last night & they sounded really good (again)
5. We've been delayed in decorating for Christmas, but tomorrow is the day.

Bridie1962

1. Good meeting with one of my planning commission members
2. Had little interaction with my co-workers
3. Someone wore some really stinky perfume
4. Streamed my fave radio station do a countdown of the top 50 albums of the year. I'm still rockin' in.
5. My mum sent me some beauty roses.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Even though it came early, my New Mom Planner and her baby are home and doing well!

2) I hate nasal sprays. But I will admit, the one I got for my upper respiratory infection has really cleared up the congestion.

3) Short week next week. Working only Monday and Friday.

4) I'm way behind on Christmas this year. Being sick the week before the big day puts a crimp in my holiday spirit. I haven't even wrapped any presents yet.*

5) Tickets for the new Star Wars movie in hand for Christmas Eve. Date night! :heart::lips:

*I did wrap my Secret Santa presents.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am scheduled to take next week off, but I don’t think that will happen.
2) I am looking forward to relaxing this weekend.
3) we are starting to discuss family goals for 2020 (ie, fun family bucket list stuff)
4) I am so sick of DC politics
5) My neighborhood is awesome.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I have to go through 6 traffic lights on the way to work. This morning they were all green.
2. Holidays must be over. I just got a text from a friend that said "Back to regular Friday night pizza"
3. Have to meet a customer contact representative for lunch.
4. Monday we'll be back to full staff.
5. I know I could have broken this up into 5 separate RT posts, but Post-A-Thon isn't for another 362 days - sorry hinky

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Depression descending. Again.
2. I never cared for puppets. They're only a half-step up from clowns IMHO
3. I'm wearing the new shirt today I got for Christmas
4. I should make some more sauerkraut this weekend
5. I crave time playing computer games instead of dealing with irate family members. And someone is always irate at home.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Anxiety is hitting today. @Maister , you are in good company.
2. Wearing a new fleece and a new shirt I got for Christmas.
3. My hands smell like A Beautiful Day or something Bath & Body Works-y.
4. $50 off flights to Singapore!
5. You've done too much. You're much too young. Now you're married with a kid when you could be having fun with me.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I slept like crap last night and it is now starting to catch up with me. I don't think eating lunch helped that any. I am quite sure that I am going to sleep like a freaking rock tonight.
2) The weather is not awesome today. It is a bit warmer, but it is raining off and on all day and I have a crazy chill.
3) I am pondering ways to be more organized with my life. Not only in therms of stuff, but ideas, goals, and thoughts.
4) My to-do list for next week is quite long already.
5) Part of me just wants to do left overs for dinner tonight.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Not as productive as I'd hoped for a quiet day in the office.

2) Really want a nap right now . . .

3) Don't you hate it when you do a little something to help someone out, and then all of a sudden you're in charge/expected to know all about it? I do. If I'd wanted to be in charge, I would have said so.

4) The next couple of weeks are going to suck.

5) Sun is finally out. Hopefully it'll last until I get home tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I have court in 40 minutes
2. It was fun visualizing a Far Side comic panel to create a caption for
3. I ate at Applebee's last night. The bill for three came to $50. I feel that was about $11 too much for what we received
4. desperately need to go grocery shopping
5. Radio season officially starts tomorrow.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Scored tickets to several Jimmy Buffett concerts this morning: Charleston, Columbia, Raleigh, Charlotte and Boston. Missed out on Pittsburgh
2. All department head evaluations have been completed. They all went pretty well and looking forward to the good things we're doing in 2020.
3. Sometimes it's really difficult to tell elected officials to stay in their lane.
4. I have to laugh when people around here say "traffic is soooo bad". Yeah, no it's not.
5. I signed up for two pickleball tournaments this week. It's my new addiction, I love the sport. Try it, you'll like it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Grey raining/misty morning, with storms this afternoon. Yuck.

2) Cold tomorrow. Well, cold for this area. Mid-40's for the high. For us, that's winter weather.

3) Second bad hair day in a row. All this humidity makes me look like Medusa but without the turn-to-stone glare. Hair wrapped around a pencil bun is oh so fashionable!

4) MIL is having surgery next month. Hubby is trying to figure out out to be there for help yet not miss too much work. It's called a laptop and wifi access!

5) Looks like trip to Big Town to the West will happen next weekend. Museum, lunch, other events - fun!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
We are moving to a new office this summer, into a fully rehabbed c.1845 pile on Main Street with views of the Ohio River
Office moves are the suxxor of all time
We have to scan all our files because the new building won't have room for our banks of 4- and 5-drawer files. Some flat files are coming. I think
My staff and I are going through all the files to recycle duplicates that there is no sense scanning. There's way more than 100 file drawers, just in our office and more in the basement
I don't know that we are going to get it done in time. I have not been informed of the consequences of not getting it done

:oops:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. our city attorney did not follow the ordinance outline & requirements I had laid out when I received the draft - let's try again
2. "people are turning the wrong way down a one way street. why don't you put up a sign" - we've had 2 signs up for a while Karen!
3. tonight is pizza & movie night
4. need to get an oil change, hopefully next week
5. someone hacked the new mayor's email already - kinda funny

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Just made a 1st grader laugh. 😁
2. Going out for hibachi tonight.
3. Gonna get me a Karate punch.
4. DC in March?
5. Hubby is back in the States! ❤

Planit

Cyburbian
1. yes its Friday & there's a lot running through my mind
2. The Girl took 6 seconds of her 200 butterfly time & 4 seconds off her 200 backstoke time
3. I went to a taproom last evening and didn't drink (I was driving the company car)
4. our April trip needs to be totally scrapped & replaced due to time constraints of The Girl's schedule
5. not looking forward to a high of 38 tomorrow with rain

kms

Cyburbian
Well someone just hit my last nerve.

The end of my rope.

The straw that broke the camel’s back.

There won’t be any digging on that place, including foundations.

It’s never good to push a reasonable person this far.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Celebrating Mrs. Maister's birthday tonight
2. It may not come entirely as a surprise, but I intend to order steak for dinner
3. I'll probably order a LaBatts to go with the steak
4. It's supposed to snow this weekend. About time.
5. I plan to spend some quality time this weekend in front of the family room fireplace reading a good book.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. It feels very weird to hold a 3.1 million dollar handwritten check in your hand.
2. In the space of a quarter mile, while I was driving last night I had to dodge deer, a possum and an armadillo.
3. I was at an economic summit this morning and learned of countertops made of recycled glass. Very cool.
4. Excited to have a 3 day weekend with no real plans.
5. A bit worried about KMS. Relax and take a deep breath. Wait til next week to kill people. It's Friday!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Working from home today. Kinda wish I'd been home yesterday, but today is another grey wet one.

2) Cold! Have long sleeves and a sweatshirt on in the house.

3) What's for dinner? Well, something that requires I start it early, so I guess that works for a Friday.

4) Hair appt., dog transport, and family visits to get crammed into the 3-day weekend.

5) I don't really need a day off right now. Ask me again in late March/early April and I will probably say something else.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Those cheese & bacon biscuits might get served for super bowl.
2. I asked my nephew in south Florida if he's enjoyed any iguana stew yet. He has not replied.
3. Found out yesterday my paternal uncle was placed in hospice on Tuesday. He's 86.
4. Mom goes to the internal medicine doctor next week to check on bloating issues. She's 87.
5. All-County Band Concert this evening.

kms

Cyburbian
1. Working at home this morning.
2. Making inspections this afternoon.
3. Looks like I got those backward.
4. I enjoy house concerts more than going to a bar to hear a band.
5. This weekend is fully booked.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Annual review time. No real worries but I'm always nervous.

2) Date Night tomorrow. Heading out to dinner and a stand up comic.

3) New glasses should be ready next week. It'll be good to be updated and also have a back up pair.

4) Parental issues still rearing up. One parent is resigned and trudging forward, the other is still in the sniping/insulting phase. Not fun.

5) Is it vacation time yet? Only 5 months to go!

Big Owl

Cyburbian
  1. I haven't done five things Friday in a while.
  2. Our tree board preaches "right tree, right place"; our horticulturist that staffs the tree board just purchased 2 trees and is now asking for suggestions as to where they should be planted.
  3. When my 2 year old niece finds money of any type, she announces that it's Big Owl's money and commands the nearest adult to give it to me.
  4. I was fascinated by the Senate's candy drawer and thought it was an awesome display of bipartisanship; then I learned that both parties have independent candy drawers. Another dream crushed by reality.
  5. I just recently replaced our collection of food storage containers with freezer and microwave safe deli containers. 8 oz, 16 oz and 32 oz, all with the same size lid.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
1. I filled up my gas tank this week.
2. It had been 6 weeks since I filled it up last.
3. The new job should save me about $400/ month in fuel.
4. I've had a headache for the past 2 days -- in my normal spot surrounding my left eye.
5. It's a rainy, dreary day and I could totally go home and nap...

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Was this /----------/ close to Hubby getting a job in Germany.
2. Lost out because of timing.
3. Emotionally ate a sticky buns to make me feel better.
4. Feeling unappreciated at work.
5. Hopper from Stranger Things was in my dream last night.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I had ramen noodles for lunch. Can't say I'm proud of the fact, but it happens to be the truth.
2. I made a decision to steer clear of all coverage of the impeachment trial the day Moscow Mitch announced he had no intentions of holding a fair trial.
3. I wish Mrs. Maister wouldn't pile all those stuffed animals on top of the bed. Not only is it not manly looking but means I have to find a place to put em after removing them
4. It's rainy and gray today. Inside and out.
5. I did not watch Star Trek Picard last night.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
1. I filled up my gas tank this week.
2. It had been 6 weeks since I filled it up last.
3. The new job should save me about $400/ month in fuel.
4. I've had a headache for the past 2 days -- in my normal spot surrounding my left eye.
5. It's a rainy, dreary day and I could totally go home and nap...
Congrats on the new job.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) This week has been the evil spawn of from a train wreck and a dumpster fire. Next week will be profoundly better.
2) The Plans for NYC are a no/go. All of the kids got upset when we suggested it. So now we are kicking around the idea of a road trip with stops at Williamsburg, DC, Hershey Park, and Pittsburgh.
3) Everyone in my office has been sick at some point over the past two weeks... except me.
4) Sawdust therapy and all star hockey is in my future... for this weekend.
5) We might get a Thunderstorm tonight.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Others are more comfortable in their own skin than I am
2. I need a vacation. Maybe a solo vacation.
3. Had pizza last night that wasn't that great
4. I would like to grow some cabbages to make kraut with this year
5. YouTube is a good source for instructional videos

kms

Cyburbian
Solo vacations are pretty nice.

The manure complaint was really about a pile of compost for filter socks. I’m not looking forward to talking to the complainant.

Fridays are quiet here.

I have a habit of hunching my left shoulder, which creates pain and discomfort.

I’m wearing muddy boots in the office. That’s the way it goes.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Family stuff on deck for Saturday. Some of it might be fun.

2) Hubby has some travel coming up. I think that means it's time for me to go through the closets and purge!!

3) Work is busy/intense/full right now. Basically, three weeks of meetings, workshops, events, and other people out so I'm extra busy type things. But after V-day, things will calm down again.

4) Will be making my Hot Pizza Dip for the big game on Sunday. I hope I can find the recipe because I remember the ingredients, but not the precise amounts.

5) Still doing pretty good on the lowering my sugar intake effort. I did have some sugar in my tea the other day - it had steeped so long I thought the spoon was going to stand up on its own.