• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Five Things Friday

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) It seems that everyone is sick in my area. They even closed a high school for several days this week because of it.
2) I am installing some smart light switches this weekend. I ordered a dozen and now I wish I ordered more.
3) For some time, I thought that Siri was going to become skynet... now I think it is Alexa...
4) We need more/better lunch options in my Town.
5) I keep going back and forth regarding super long term goals for my house. Do we plan additions and stay in it super long term, do we downsize and buy something else in the same neighborhood when the kids move out, do we liquidate everything and buy a sail boat and travel the world when we retire...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. People need to worry about the flu in this country way more than the coronavirus
2. Agree with others about solo vacations. Even a long weekend alone and away can be a great recharge. Don't be afraid to do it.
3. It really is true that the more you make the more you spend. Even when you're trying hard not to do that!
4. It totally pisses me off when a lot of people work really hard to obtain approval/funding for a project and it all comes down to politics instead of merit.
5. I've decided I just can't trust people who drive with their hoodie up. What can I say? It bothers me.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. 3 days in a row of the city council's annual workshops from 1:30 -6:00
2. today was a law workshop concerning the state mandated code updates
3. I'm missing another workshop today for our main street program
4. I only had 4 presentations this week
5. I'm beginning to run on fumes...I'm RJing @ 3:00

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I haven't gone cross country skiing a single time this winter
2. What winter? We've only had maybe four major snow events this season
3. I will rectify the cross country skiing thing, however, this weekend
4. In the mood for some bean soup
5. Or better yet, maybe some chili in the slow cooker this weekend

kms

Cyburbian
Working at home and watching the snow fall on the other side of the window.

Tomorrow is the family soup cook-off. My entry is beef barley soup.

Office morale is pretty low.

It’s about time to take my bicycle in for the annual tune up.

I may order a pizza for lunch.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I've never been cross country snow skiing - downhill many times
2. A friend of The Girl showed her WWE 'rasslin for the first time and she thinks its "hilarious"
3. Work is a bit odd right now
4. A weekend is needed (see#3) for a couple of us
5. Hopslam!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Snow day!☃
2. Snow is impacting our travel plans. 😟
3. Applied for a slight promotion in my unit even though I know I probably won't get it. 😕
4. Was this close |-----| to Hubby getting a job in Germany. 😭
5. Might get to NOLA in May. 🥰

el Guapo

Capitalist
  1. Deep cleaning my office this week has been cathartic; sweat lodge in the desert cathartic.
  2. It surprised me how much I enjoy creating apps and interfaces in Esri's Survey123 desktop. Its a great little public engagement platform.
  3. My state's nonpartisan redistricting plan for after the 2020 census results come in has somehow become highly partisan. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Republicans, Democrats, and members of the state's media are being disingenuous in their public pronouncements.
  4. My office/household recycling game is damn near epic. I'm working on a way to internally re-purpose my cardboard stream.
  5. In another thread I apparently offended some people by offering up a mirror to certain aspects of the planning profession (as actually practiced). I truly want to feel bad about that.

Attachments

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Why does my phone keep correcting "proper" to "pepper"? Very weird
2. There sure are a lot of fires to put out on Friday afternoons these days.
3. I'll never really understand why local candidates campaign on national issues.
4. I resisted the urge to splurge and paid off some debt I had with tax return. Still a nice chunk left for something fun.
5. It's been a while so this weekend I'm definitely going to indulge in some shrimp and grits.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Spent the day at a focused planning event. Brain numb.

2) Saw some people that it was nice to see again; some others, not so much.

3) Saw one former coworker that looks pregnant. Since her youngest is a senior in hs, I'm surprised she is starting again. Granted, she may not be pregnant - she may have simply gained some weight in the 10 years since I've seen her. She's one of those obnoxiously skinny people, so her tummy certainly looked pregnant versus fat.

4) Will definitely look into a movie this weekend.

5) It's beer o'clock - where's my beer?