• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Five Things Friday

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) It seems that everyone is sick in my area. They even closed a high school for several days this week because of it.
2) I am installing some smart light switches this weekend. I ordered a dozen and now I wish I ordered more.
3) For some time, I thought that Siri was going to become skynet... now I think it is Alexa...
4) We need more/better lunch options in my Town.
5) I keep going back and forth regarding super long term goals for my house. Do we plan additions and stay in it super long term, do we downsize and buy something else in the same neighborhood when the kids move out, do we liquidate everything and buy a sail boat and travel the world when we retire...

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. People need to worry about the flu in this country way more than the coronavirus
2. Agree with others about solo vacations. Even a long weekend alone and away can be a great recharge. Don't be afraid to do it.
3. It really is true that the more you make the more you spend. Even when you're trying hard not to do that!
4. It totally pisses me off when a lot of people work really hard to obtain approval/funding for a project and it all comes down to politics instead of merit.
5. I've decided I just can't trust people who drive with their hoodie up. What can I say? It bothers me.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. 3 days in a row of the city council's annual workshops from 1:30 -6:00
2. today was a law workshop concerning the state mandated code updates
3. I'm missing another workshop today for our main street program
4. I only had 4 presentations this week
5. I'm beginning to run on fumes...I'm RJing @ 3:00

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I haven't gone cross country skiing a single time this winter
2. What winter? We've only had maybe four major snow events this season
3. I will rectify the cross country skiing thing, however, this weekend
4. In the mood for some bean soup
5. Or better yet, maybe some chili in the slow cooker this weekend

kms

Cyburbian
Working at home and watching the snow fall on the other side of the window.

Tomorrow is the family soup cook-off. My entry is beef barley soup.

Office morale is pretty low.

It’s about time to take my bicycle in for the annual tune up.

I may order a pizza for lunch.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I've never been cross country snow skiing - downhill many times
2. A friend of The Girl showed her WWE 'rasslin for the first time and she thinks its "hilarious"
3. Work is a bit odd right now
4. A weekend is needed (see#3) for a couple of us
5. Hopslam!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Snow day!☃
2. Snow is impacting our travel plans. 😟
3. Applied for a slight promotion in my unit even though I know I probably won't get it. 😕
4. Was this close |-----| to Hubby getting a job in Germany. 😭
5. Might get to NOLA in May. 🥰

el Guapo

Capitalist
  1. Deep cleaning my office this week has been cathartic; sweat lodge in the desert cathartic.
  2. It surprised me how much I enjoy creating apps and interfaces in Esri's Survey123 desktop. Its a great little public engagement platform.
  3. My state's nonpartisan redistricting plan for after the 2020 census results come in has somehow become highly partisan. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Republicans, Democrats, and members of the state's media are being disingenuous in their public pronouncements.
  4. My office/household recycling game is damn near epic. I'm working on a way to internally re-purpose my cardboard stream.
  5. In another thread I apparently offended some people by offering up a mirror to certain aspects of the planning profession (as actually practiced). I truly want to feel bad about that.

Attachments

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Why does my phone keep correcting "proper" to "pepper"? Very weird
2. There sure are a lot of fires to put out on Friday afternoons these days.
3. I'll never really understand why local candidates campaign on national issues.
4. I resisted the urge to splurge and paid off some debt I had with tax return. Still a nice chunk left for something fun.
5. It's been a while so this weekend I'm definitely going to indulge in some shrimp and grits.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Spent the day at a focused planning event. Brain numb.

2) Saw some people that it was nice to see again; some others, not so much.

3) Saw one former coworker that looks pregnant. Since her youngest is a senior in hs, I'm surprised she is starting again. Granted, she may not be pregnant - she may have simply gained some weight in the 10 years since I've seen her. She's one of those obnoxiously skinny people, so her tummy certainly looked pregnant versus fat.

4) Will definitely look into a movie this weekend.

5) It's beer o'clock - where's my beer?

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Might hit 50 here this weekend! Bike time!
2.) I am more actively seeking less stressful roles. The money just has to be close. I am giving in to what I have known for some time.
3.) The Johnny Cash version of Rusty Cage is great
4.) Bad Rock Radio is a good Internet Radio station
5.) I get to see one of my college kids this weekend so thats good.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I heard the entire admin staff at the bigger city next door went to lunch together last Friday & all got food poisoning.
2. The Girl broke the windshield wiper on her car this morning.
3. I've told her not to use them to try and scrape the ice off. Grrr.
4. Budget season isn't going to be pleasant this year.
5. Siri can be a bitch sometimes.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Sitting in a training session on the weeds of a building code because heaven forbid outside trainers not have a babysitter. Oh well, I'll get some back-office stuff done.

2) No fun plans this weekend.

3) I'm hungry. Is it lunchtime yet?

4) Ever want to strangle someone just because? That's my morning in this training.

5) Waiting for the new book by one of my fave authors to come out. Have a couple more weeks to wait!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Sunny but cold here.
2. Kitties like the sunbeams.
3. Wish I could curl up in a sunbeam.
4. Don't think I got the job.
5. I understand but was looking forward to not working weekends and holidays. 😟

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Very quiet in the office today. Half of staff at an event, a couple working from home, so there's just a handful of us manning the fort.

2) Wash your hands! Seriously - Wash Your Hands!

3) Sis told me they canceled Fasnacht in Switzerland over coronavirus. Not surprised, but still - they canceled their version of Mardi Gras :(

4) Using the quiet time in the office to update my computer (took an hour) and clean/update my whiteboard.

5) Received confirmation that our annual report to the state has been received in both print and electronic form! Yeah! :up:

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Should be a quiet day today - I'll take it after the sheer volume of meetings I've already had this week.

2. Our office's marketing assistant is a bundle of energy, as in she's usually bouncing when just sitting in her desk chair. Oh, to be young again.

3. Based on the content of a short training session I was subjected to yesterday morning, I am going to contract and die from Valley Fever before Coronavirus has a chance to finish me off. So, I got that going for me.

4. I'm so not looking forward to working on our tax returns this year...

5. If you're thinking about possibly refinancing your mortgage, do it now - mortgage rates are stupid low. We're closing our refinance next week at 3.25%.

Planit

Cyburbian
1) Been dealing with a pretentious arrogant citizen for the last couple days on a draft ordinance.
2) Voted today - was able to walk right past the campaign people, right in & there was no line.
3) I'm Unaffiliated but I voted in the primary that mostly impacts local decisions (the county is more red than blue).
4) No APA, but CNU is in play.
5) Switzerland also cancelled the Geneva Auto show, one of the most important car shows unveiling new models and such for primarily the European market. The country has cancelled any event with over 100 people.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. I get really irritated when I see people write "St. Patty's Day" instead of St. Paddy's Day. It just bugs me.
2. But to be fair, a lot of things bug me.
3. The primary election is tomorrow. A Saturday. I've never heard of such a thing until moving here.
4. Sometimes I'm more Dr. Phil than an administrator.
5. I've finally done it. After all the shows I've been to, I'm in the front row to see Jimmy Buffett!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) So Tough Mudder is back but different. It is now a division of Spartan Race but separate. That is the good news. Bad news is the two events that I am signed up for are now canceled. Good news is I can move my tickets to any other Tough Mudder race this year and two Spartan Races per ticket... so that is 4 spartan races. I will take this as a win today.
2) I have a contact building inspector that refuses to meet with anyone unless they have an engineered set of plans and the licensed project designer is in the meeting. Sorry, but no, you will be in the meeting or we will contract with an inspector that is willing practice customer service.
3) Today was a very interesting week in terms of activity. On one hand things around here were super productive, on the other hand there were multiple dumpster-fire/train-wrecks.
4) I think that society should be more childish... how can you go wrong with tap time and recesses?
5) Advertising is nothing but lies. Saw an add for a local restaurant... the waitresses were both friendly and gorgeous, the food portions were plentiful, the food it'self looked amazing, and everyone looked to be happy and curious... then I saw it was a McDonald's commercial and I realized that the commerical was nothing but lies.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The Girl is going to the lock-in at our church tonight, which means date-night for us.
2. Our city attorney is keeping very busy, but not with stuff Planning needs.
3. At this time of year, I'm glad I have a small department (budget season).
4. It's nice outside - let's go grab some snipe signs.
5. Gotta get the tax stuff together this weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Taking off this afternoon
2. I didn't sleep well at all last night. Fortunately, I got adequate sleep the previous night.
3. Sausage dinner was a big success
4. I just helped a church out. A church I do not attend nor holds beliefs I subscribe to
5. I bet they sold a lot more chalk in the world 30 years ago.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) The idea that value is based on supply and demand is a lie... if it was true, Corona Extra would be 99 cents a 6 pack. (sarcasm)
2) The weather is changing and I have a screaming headache right now.
3) Have you ever noticed that hand sanitizer says that it kills 99.99% of germs. What is that .01% that it does not kill?
4) I am going to cook a brisket this weekend. Why... because it is BRISKET
5) 14... That is the anticipated maximum number of additional losses the Red Wings will see this year. It is also the same number as the remaining games this season.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Was supposed to go to a housing summit today, but woke up with a pre-migraine. That's a really bad headache that is borderline migraine, but I managed to get to my meds in time. But I still stayed home - the headache still takes a while to go down.

2) I don't know what triggered this one. I usually have an idea, but this time - still looking.

3) The dog is good company when sick. She's quiet, naps on the couch, and will adjust her schedule a bit to accommodate your inability to get up quickly.

4) In-laws coming over this weekend. Should be a good visit.

5) Weather's been nice. Great change from the rain. Too bad I spent most of today with the curtains drawn.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1. I should post in these more.
2. Just Joe and Bernie now? Yawn.
3. Kosher Coke is in the stores!
4. Hand sanitizer and cleaning products are not.
5. I predict someone will rob a bank, claiming they’ve been to northern Italy, and they’ll cough on you if you don’t fork over the money now!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) My company still has not made a decision on how to respond to coronavirus. They will discuss on Monday, so they might have more than wash your hands and stay home when sick.

2) Hubby is in a work from home, period, no exceptions except with Company Pres permission, situation. That's through at least the end of the month, perhaps longer if needed.

3) Slow weekend planned. Family visit and maybe a library run.

4) I will continue my regular schedule of working from home on Mondays. If I get to stay home more, I will.

5) Good thing the local WIne & Spirits store was well stocked yesterday. I'm ready if I need to self-quarantine.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. My life feels like a country song.
2. Hubby didn't get job in other country.
3. I didn't get promotion.
4. We put an offer on a house and sellers went with different buyer.
5. Here's to being grateful for all that we do have.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Just another normal day... other than almost everything is slightly different.
2) Sunny, mid 80's nice breeze, and pollen clouds coating everything.
3) I need more coffee, but don't we all these days.
4) I am not sure what is worse, the pandemic or the amount of ICS paperwork associated with it.
5) A community about 30 miles from here has the state's first community transmitted case.... which means the cat's out of the box.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I had a vacation day planned for today and took it anyway. Nesting beats working at home, at least for today.
2. Humid and 70’s here, with rain showers rolling through all day.
3. Today is a flip flops day, but tomorrow will be socks and shoes.
4. I’m disappointed I wasn’t able to spend today with my oldest and best friend.
5. It’s all temporary.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. was in the 2.5 hour department head meeting this morning discussing all things COVID19
2. first reported case in our county this morning - things will be changing rapidly over the weekend here
3. it's almost 80 degrees, sunny & breezy during lunch today
4. I ran home at lunch & put up the deck umbrella so The Girl could do her homework out there
5. no ground beef or eggs to be found (when I've go to the store)

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Spent the morning at the office. Only one there for over an hour, then one more, then one more. As I was leaving, yet another came in "to pick a couple things up".

2) Stopped at the grocery store on way home. Long lines, no express checkout, very little meat options, low on eggs and milk. Store has limits on paper products, frozen fruits and veggies, milk, eggs, and butter.

3) Temps dropped 25 degrees. I want my sunshine back.

4) Not sure why the guy in the lane in front of me had his blinker on. He was perfectly lined up in the center of his lane the whole time I was behind him. DOn't know if he was in the older demographic, but was going over the speed limit.

5) Plans for this weekend include movie watching, dog walking, and reading.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
1. I haven't visited Cyburbia in years, but I recognize most of the people posting in this thread. Hiya!

2. Thanks to Dan for his "not another generic COVID-19 email" this morning. :)

3. I haven't left my neighborhood since last Saturday (!), since just about everything around here is closed, cancelled, or postponed thanks to the virus. :worried:

4. Yoga live online is better than no yoga, but I miss seeing real live people at the yoga studio.

5. My now-1.5 year old dog is getting better at just hanging out with me in my home office... for a little while.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Our cars are usually blue & white. Now they are yellow (thanks pollen)
2. This 'Not Open To The Public' is something I could get used to I think
3. Thinking about a ref-fi on the house, but when we bought it, mortgage rates were very low
4. Another mandatory dept head meeting this morning - 3rd one this week
5. The grill will be fired up this weekend, probably staring tonight.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) The end of Week 2 of WFH. Extended to next week thanks to County orders. Not sure Hubby and I can take so much togetherness . . .

2) Dog is loving it! But she might like to have uninterrupted nap time back.

3) Trying to help the economy with take out. Have already planned for 1 this weekend and another next week.

4) Both sets of parents are in the high-risk category. Trying to keep them in line is another stressor.

5) I will spend $$$ on personal care when this is over/declared safe. Nails, massage, hair cut . . .

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Still pretty much businesses as usual without the public drop ins.
2. My hands are really dried out from washing so much. Time for some Bag Balm!
3. I swear old people are the worst when it comes to social distancing. The grocery store is ridiculous. Give me some room. I'm trying to protect you!
4. Wait. I turned 50 last week. Maybe I am one of the old people.
5. Lots of projects getting completed around the house. Tunes and a paintbrush are on tap this weekend.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Week 2 of empty city hall feels like its been a month
2) I was going to leave my job, now be here as an interim more or less until August
3) A trip to the grocery store leaves me not liking mankind much
4) I started dating someone during COVID 19, we only met once....at a distance, but have logged a lot of phone hours. Talk about out of nowhere.
5) London Calling made for some good listening at the desk today, and I turn it up a bit with no public here.

Reactions: kms

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1. Coronavirus. :mask:
2. Coronavirus. :microbe:
3. Coronavirus. :soap:
4. Coronavirus. :sanitizer:
5. Coronavirus. :finger:

coronavirus.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My mind is going at ten thousand miles per hour and it is almost impossible to focus on one thing for more than a few minutes
2) I think I am also going to take this time to try to get my office more organized
3) Every day I am here I question the decisions of the previous department more and more. Every day it is something new to fix that has been broken for a very long time.
4) Our county prohibits groups of more than 1 from congregating right now. So much for hanging out in the front yard with the neighbors as the kids run and play. (6-foot separation of course)
5) The idea of what is and is not essential is a little ridiculous. For example, pawn shops are federally regulated financial institutions and therefore essential.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Washed the cars last night. They'll probably be yellow again by the end of the day.
2. Traffic has been fairly light this week except for yesterday for some reason. People just had to get out I guess.
3. The house needs to be repainted, but I'm not going to tackle that job myself.
4. Been pushing The Girl on her college ambitions. She has chosen 4 to concentrate on...all in state.
5. She was selected to be a camp counselor this summer, but there's concern that Camp might not happen. That'll be painful as it's a big deal to be selected.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Raining again. Not good, as the ground is saturated. But we haven't turned the sprinklers on yet this year, so that's good.

2) Gave my dad a fun project. He's bored in quarantine, so I sent him some photos of my front flower beds and asked him for help picking new plants (he's a retired Master Gardener). Gave him some general guidelines, but basically told him to go to town. I'm planning on doing it in two phases, so he's also including the timing of fall plantings. That should keep him occupied for a couple of days, at least.

3) My mom has made masks for family members. These are basically to wear while out and about (grocery shopping, etc), not designed for health care levels. She used up some leftover fabric, old bias tape and what little elastic she had on hand. Since she's a quilter, the masks will have some fancy stitching on them. I will pick up our two this weekend. Rumor has it the fabric is tie-dye, but I don't care about that at this point.

4) Doing some spring cleaning but in small batches. Instead of cleaning several rooms over a weekend, it's one room at a time, in between work appts. Takes a lot longer to get a room done, but it keeps me from growing roots.

5) Cut back on the amount of news I'm watching. Morning news while eating breakfast, and one local and one national news in the evening. That's it. I can't take much more - it depresses me.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I had a vacation day scheduled for today, and I’m using it. Maybe I’ll go somewhere different, which pretty much means taking my usual Covid-time walk in the opposite direction.

2. I’m going to sew extra hand and dish towels.

3. I tried a past life regression session for a friend who’s learning the technique. Nothing. I got nothing.

4. It’s time to get the enclosed porch ready for summer.

5. I cut my grass a couple of weeks ago. I may again today, and maybe plant some climbing flowers at my side deck.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. I've got a new bedroom set coming soon. First brand new one I've ever had in my life.
2. That means I need to paint the bedroom.
3. Glad I bought the paint two weeks ago so I can avoid that process this weekend.
4. I'm very glad I still get to come to work. I don't think WFH full-time would be the best for me.
5. The library being closed totally sucks. I can get some book electronically but I really don't enjoy reading that way.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Working from home is getting old quickly
2. The home/work boundary issue disorientation I initially experienced has been resolved satisfactorily
3. We've been baking bread every day since being confined to home
4. I managed to lose some weight earlier this year, but it's come back in a big way since quarantine
5. One plus being at home is that we get to spend a lot more quality time doing things like board games

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I should have taken today off, but I didn't.
2) My apple watch said that I worked out for 328 minutes last night. I was asleep so I don't remember any of it.
3) There was stress checklist that a Dr posted regarding how people are dealing with thing. I did not do all that well.
4) Recorded a PSA yesterday... I sounded like a goof, but it got posted anyways.
5) I am trying to figure out the best way to have a public hearing for a virtual meeting.