• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Five Things Friday

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Friday doesn't seem like such a big deal right now. I'm still at work during the week but it's not like you can go anywhere on the weekend.
2. Offer was accepted so I'm getting a lakefront lot to build on in a few years.
3. Going to do it right and take my time working with an architect who will translate what I want into design.
4. Really fortunate that our budget here is looking pretty decent for the rest of this FY and next year's proposed as well.
5. Things I never said in Maryland: "There's an alligator in the front yard". I can check that one off the list after this morning!

Big Owl

Cyburbian
WOOO HOOO! We're #1!
North Carolina had the highest percentage answering with Yes, with 47.7%. Following closely behind were Oregon (47.58%), Connecticut (47.41%), Colorado (46.93%), and Washington (46.3%).
We lead the country in the production of sweet potato and day drinking work from home workers.

kms

Cyburbian
1. Friday doesn't seem like such a big deal right now. I'm still at work during the week but it's not like you can go anywhere on the weekend.
2. Offer was accepted so I'm getting a lakefront lot to build on in a few years.
3. Going to do it right and take my time working with an architect who will translate what I want into design.
4. Really fortunate that our budget here is looking pretty decent for the rest of this FY and next year's proposed as well.
5. Things I never said in Maryland: "There's an alligator in the front yard". I can check that one off the list after this morning!
A sleeping porch might be nice. Congratulations.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. There is a petty downtown business owner that has consumed many, many hours to deal with their crap over the last few days
2. There's potential for (slow water) kayaking this weekend
3. It would be nice outside today if the wind wasn't blowing so hard
4. Heard one of my good friends passed away this week (aneurysm, not C19), we used to brew beer together many years ago
5. I'm (almost) stunned at the level of discord that is out there

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) One more week left in my current job, then the adventure begins
2.) I am going to watch the final Phantasm movie over the weekend
3.) Its wayyyy too cold for May, but I am determined to get in a good ride on Saturday
4.) I had a recruiter reach out to me for a position that looks interesting, but probably is a bad idea
5.) I don't think we will have college football this Fall and that will be real weird

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Windy and cool for the morning dog walk. Just a smidge too windy, as I nearly lost my hat twice.

2) Lots of small, petty things to do today. I'd rather take a nap.

3) About to listen to a webinar on native plants and ecosystem health. Could be good. Could be boring.

4) I think it's pork for dinner tonight. Baked potato? Mashed?

5) Part of me wants to rush out and partake of all the reopening of business madness. But my head is telling me to keep my mask on, head down, and stay home.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Retail shopping opens up today at 5:00 with 50% capacity. Count me in on being part of the 50% that's not going to the store.
2. It's Friday. Paycheck in. Paycheck out.
3. It is eerily quiet in town today, has been since I left the house this morning.
4. A citizen called Planning to put in an order to replace his roll-out trash can. Is that considered "other duties as described"?
5. Next year's budget should best be described as "minimal"

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The refrigerator issue may be terminal and not what we initially thought
2. We ate dinner at 10:00pm last night due to #1
3. Suddenly there are 2 big projects coming through our office door
4. I feel like I'm in some sort of pseudo holding pattern for 5 or 6 things at the house/family oriented stuff
5. The Girl volunteered for a sizeable project for her school, one of her teachers told me yesterday how important (& good) her work is on it

kms

Cyburbian
1. The only good thing to come from covid is the bonus two months I spent with my youngest son.

2. My youngest son moves to the Akron area today, and I admit that I'm not handling this well. :(

3. My daughter expects a baby in December, so we're all looking forward to that! It's a cusp of quarantine baby.

4. We've got some summer like weather this weekend.

5. I should be riding my bike every day that the weather is decent so I can be ready for a longer ride in a few weeks.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) While the weekend is in sight, I'm still slogging through today. Meetings. Who schedules meetings on Friday afternoon!!!

2) Cooked a casserole last night that looked better than it tasted. It was edible.

3) No big plans this weekend. Got to make a shopping trip for dad, otherwise, I'm staying in.

4) All these people that seem to have the time to learn something new while in quarantine - I wish I could too. But I'm actually struggling to get my work done due to lack of focus and stress issues. No time to learn a new recipe that takes all day or to replant my entire front area.

5) Damn, I want a donut. My waistline says no.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Since the day after St. Patrick's Day, I have shifted my health process substantially. I have not had anything with alcohol, have been doing 18/6 Intermittent Fasting, have maintained a Ketogenic Diet, and I have been doing basic daily workouts from home every day. I have also been using a c-pap when I am sleeping, having meditation and prayer every morning, and drinking well over a gallon of water a day. Since then, I have lost more than 16 pounds, increased muscle and decreased fat. I feel better than I have ever felt and I am thinking so much clearer than ever before. It is still odd cooking meals though, given the rest of the family is not doing keto, so often I have to adapt my portion to not include past, potatoes, or any other carbs.

2) Other family related things have been a bit of a train wreak recently, but we are putting in deliberate steps to see if things can get fixed.

3) When all this started, I put up a bunch of post-its with things than I wanted to do at work. It has been very stratifying crossing them out as they get completed. Some were easier than others.

4) I am looking forward to the weekend. It is going to be sunny and hot. We are setting up a little pool in our back yard for the kids to splash in.

5) The neighborhood that I live in a fully planned Newland community. For the first several years there was only a coffee shop/ sandwich shop/ pub in the community center. Then last year a gas station with convince store and hot-food counter opened up. Well, right now there is a ton of construction going on which will include a Publix, a bunch of retail and restaurants, and an apartment complex. It is fun to see the progress and reality that the grocery store, retail, and restaurants will be walking distance from my house. On top of that, the neighborhood already feels like a resort with all the walking trails, ponds, pocket parks, and more.

Bubba

Cyburbian
1) Since the day after St. Patrick's Day, I have shifted my health process substantially. I have not had anything with alcohol, have been doing 18/6 Intermittent Fasting, have maintained a Ketogenic Diet, and I have been doing basic daily workouts from home every day. I have also been using a c-pap when I am sleeping, having meditation and prayer every morning, and drinking well over a gallon of water a day. Since then, I have lost more than 16 pounds, increased muscle and decreased fat. I feel better than I have ever felt and I am thinking so much clearer than ever before. It is still odd cooking meals though, given the rest of the family is not doing keto, so often I have to adapt my portion to not include past, potatoes, or any other carbs.
Are you hanging out with Hans and Franz?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Restaurants open today at 5:00 pm at 50% capacity - I'm going to be one of the 50% not there
2. There are an abundance of bunnies in the 'hood this Spring
3. No real plans for the holiday weekend but need to figure out something - I don't want to do yard work
4. EPA did not fund our brownfields assessment grant application (again)
5. We HAD a long weekend trip planned for late June - just got cancelled & that makes 3 (I know, first world problems)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1 - friday before 3 day weekend
2 - pay day
3 - had my coffee
4 - it is a nice morning
5 - feeling more confident about going back into the office with all the personal safety procedures that they say are in place.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
1. Someone turned off my laptop so I couldn't WFH. I was planning to come in today anyway, but not this early.
2. Stopped at McD's to get a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit. Found a bacon, egg, and cheese McGriddle instead. Bleh and such a letdown.
3. Have to advise a permit holder that she cannot begin construction until she vacates an easement or moves the structure out of the easement. She ain't gonna be happy to hear it.
4. Absolutely have to mow the lawn after work today. Too many chances for rain over the next week to risk waiting.
5. Probably work on the triple track storm window rehab and screen upgrade in the garage this weekend.
Bonus: Still haven't gotten my stimulus check. (No, I haven't given the government my bank routing, just on general principle.)

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) As of about a minute ago, I'm on vacation.

2) Had a really good discussion with an employee today on a project and approach. I think we're all headed in the same direction.

3) Found a sticky note with a to-do list that I evidently misplaced. I've only done 2 things on the list. Oops. But no one has said anything (yet).

4) Holiday weekend = Hubby playing some Quarantine Golf with some buddies. He likes it - fewer people out, tee times spaced further apart, don't have to share things.

5) Not sure what I will do while he's playing golf. Maybe sleep in . . .

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Hubby and I discussed taking up golf.

2. Our neighborhood curb surfers are pretty good. We got rid of a rain barrel, kid's water table, some bird feeders, and a patio umbrella and stand.

3. 3 beautiful weather days (70s and sunny) in a row. I am grateful!

4. I am trying to figure out a way to salvage our beach vacation for mid-August.

5. As much as my town depresses me, we do have some nice amenities and access to nature.

kms

Cyburbian
I took golf lessons but didn't like playing golf so I switched to horseback riding lessons. This was a long time ago.

I've moved from being a periodic empty nester to a full-fledged empty nester.

More businesses in my town reopened.

My work at home now includes writing educational pieces. It takes me back to a job I held long ago.

Three-day weekend doesn't hold the same meaning for me right now, but I'll still enjoy it.