• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Daily things 5️⃣ Five Things Friday

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Depression sucks
2. It's hard to fly like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys [/bumper sticker]
3. I feel like there should be something special to grill this weekend
4. Changing one's attitudes can be one of the most difficult things to do in life
5. I wish the election were next week. Lets get this over with.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I read recently that Nutrias have a $60 bounty on their head in Louisiana: 50 = $3,000
2. PW Dir & I had an early morning bitch session about some projects (to each other, not at each other)
3. With all the time The Girl has spent home, the dog now doesn't want to go outside
4. Soccer practices are now starting next week - we still may have a fall season of (only) 6 matches
5. YES! to maister's #5

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Feeling back to "normal" after a couple days of yuckiness. At least not respiratory (COVID) issues.

2) It's hot. And I'm tired of the heat. Or maybe I'm tired because of the heat. Hard to tell the difference.

3) My wild weekend plans include foraging at the grocery store, a trip to mom's, and a trip to dad's. Gets me out of the house more than once, which I need. I'm thinking I'll take my dog :dog: to mom's so she can get some interaction with other people, and my mom's old poodle:dog:.

4) School starts around here next week. My county is a minimum of 3 weeks of at-home, so in-person classes don't start until after Labor Day.

5) Ordered some more fun t-shirts. Gives me something to look forward to!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The last 2 weeks have not been good ones
2. Free lunch today - hamburgers & hot dogs
3. Today is a complete washout, but the weekend looks good
4. Tomorrow night is a friends 50th b-day party & 4 families are attending - they have a good outdoor space to 'gather'
5. It's been so hot/humid here, I haven't got the bikes out since spring

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The last 5 months have not been good ones
2. Had a ham sandwich for lunch with homemade bread
3. Gotta finish painting the porch this weekend. Cant put it off any longer
4. I guess I'm eager for Junior to start high school, but I guess he's not really 'going' to high school and will be home
5. Compartmentalization is not necessarily a bad thing.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) What makes a time period good or not good. Is it better to face the agony and frustration of misfortune to experience the moments of joy? Or forgo connection with bliss and serenity as you build up mental and social walls in an effort to avoid sorrow and resentment? Finding that balance is walling a fine line between the unknown and the feared. While one might move to avoid the other, they are in fact one in the same. In moments like this, maintaining hopes and dreams no different than the the feeble attempt to keep a candle lit in the furry of a hurricane. I say all that to day this week sucked, 2020 has not been awesome, and the past decade and a half has been both an epic struggle and an phenominal adventure.
2) Kids start "School" on Monday. I picked up their iPads today. We still have ZERO instructions on schedule, log in information, or any other details that one would find necessary to even begin.
3) I am not going to cook dinner again tonight... which means that we are going out to dinner again.
4) I have serious questions about the hydrating effect of carbonated water.
5) I need to mow my lawn before I get a nasty-gram from my HOA... unless one has already been sent.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1) What makes a time period good or not good. Is it better to face the agony and frustration of misfortune to experience the moments of joy? Or forgo connection with bliss and serenity as you build up mental and social walls in an effort to avoid sorrow and resentment? Finding that balance is walling a fine line between the unknown and the feared. While one might move to avoid the other, they are in fact one in the same. In moments like this, maintaining hopes and dreams no different than the the feeble attempt to keep a candle lit in the furry of a hurricane. I say all that to day this week sucked, 2020 has not been awesome, and the past decade and a half has been both an epic struggle and an phenominal adventure.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) The mention of Tacos has come up in another thread... Guess what I am now going to need to eat for lunch. HMMMM TACOS....
2) Local officer will not be prosecuted for shooting and killing a man who pointed a realistic looking BB Gun at him... twice. The NAACP is expected to have a press conference with the family any minute. The family had asked the judge to not allow the release of the body cam video. I was going to go to dinner tonight in Downtown, but perhaps I want to reconsider that. There was already protests scheduled because of Kenosha... this will just fuel that fire.
3) I realized that I watched 2 hours of the Democratic National Convention and 0 seconds of the Republican National Convention. I am still not sold on voting for creepy uncle Joe... but I know there is no chance of me voting for Trump.
4) I need to mow my lawn before it starts raining tomorrow afternoon. I have found that I enjoy that activity even though we have a good size lot and we have decent slope to a part of our lawn.
5) I really wish there was a way for me to recharge my batteries, but with everything going on at work, at home, and in society, that is an impossibility.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Speaking of tacos I had them today at lunch as well. Tacos al pastore to be exact with radishes and onions. So good.
2. Did not watch a minute of either convention.
3. I enjoy mowing my lawn. Even if I had oodles of money (like a lot folks around here) I'm not paying someone to do it for me unless I'm physically incapacitated.
4. I think the 24 hour news cycle has had a big impact and often a negative one on the truth. There is such a rush to get something/anything out there the truth is an afterthought. But if you're first with incorrect or spotty information that's the narrative that most people hold onto.
5. Mskis (and others), take some time for yourself. You can't afford not to. I'm finally taking a few days next month to recharge away from home. I've been working in the office the entire time and we are as busy or busier than we've ever been. I need a few days of true R&R and I'm going to spend it napping, hiking, reading and staying away from most online activities in a secluded place.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo.
2. You can come too, too, too.
3. Had a yummy pumpkin treat for lunch dessert.
4. Shrimp tacos with mango salsa are my favorite.
5. Itty Bitty figured out where meat comes from. She now says she wants to be a vegetarian.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. (AIB dandy's #5) One of my good friends saw a documentary on cows than included a slaughterhouse scene. He announced to his mom that he was going to be a vegetarian after the show. He was 6 years old & 50 years later, he still is.
2. I had chicken & spinach quesadillas yesterday at lunch.
3. Some good development possibilities were discussed at the end of day yesterday, might be a longshot, but it would be great if it hits (& it's realistic, not a pipe dream).
4. Supposed to be rainy here t'mrrw, I think I'll watch tv however Mrs. P probably wants to clean the garage.
5. At least this week was not an entire week of 'Mondays' like the last two.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) This week has been a lot of interviews. WInding down on one position, ramping up on the other.

2) Lots going on in my department, and not enough people to get it done (thus the two open positions).

3) Going to be HOT this weekend. Triple digits today and tomorrow. Could be worse - could be flooding too.

4) Working on filling out some promotional paperwork for an employee. Hope to get it into my supervisor before the Holiday.

5) Next week will be short, the week after will be short - HOLIDAY!! I'm ready for my 4 day weekend!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I decided that I am going to go back to school, but not in the traditional sense. It is going to be a self-directed independent study that will blend MBA and MPA into one curriculum over the next four years. But instead of enrolling in college or university, I am just going to create my own program. I have come to realize that my interest is not a certificate of completion or a parchment, but the knowledge that comes from the study. I am going to reach out to the best of the best in their fields and ask them what they believe are the most important elements and suggestions on resources instead of relying on a professor's thoughts on the subjects.
2) I have been looking at tonneau covers for my truck for the past few weeks. I settled on a roll up that is almost flush with the rails. Before I hit order I checked Amazon... they had it much cheaper, with free delivery... and it will be here tomorrow.
3) Two months ago, I ordered a grass bag for my lawn mower. It had to be shipped from TX. I anticipated that it would take about a week. Thanks to FedEx FINALLY getting off their backsides, it was delivered this afternoon. According to the records, it would sit for a few weeks in each location that it stopped in. This seems to be typical for FedEx. Needless to say, if I ever have to ship anything, it won't be through them.
4) I am going to cook hamburgers on the grill tonight and sit on the porch this evening with a cold Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. I have discovered the beer selection at Wegman's is superior than most of the other grocery stores when it comes to wines and imported beer. Which reminds me, years back I was in a bar in Kalamazoo MI (Up and Under for those like Maister in that area) and they had half off all Canadian Beers. So I ordered one of the Guinness varieties because I knew that while it was an Irish company, it was brewed in Canada. When he went to charge me full price, I showed him the side of the can where it said that it was brewed in Canada and asked for the discount. The crowd that I was with all started clapping and cheering... the bartender kicked me out.
5) My office is unusually quiet for a Friday before a 3 day weekend. I am good with that though and it has given me the opportunity to get a crap load of stuff off my desk.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Employee evaluations are now complete. Paperwork stuff that has to be done.
2. Went to the doctor this morning for the annual checkup. Blood is still dark red & the cholesterol is down.
3. The Council held a special meeting specifically for an applicant last night. Afterwards she asked "what new roadblocks are you going to put up now?" WTF lady, we just held a special meeting for YOU instead making you wait 2 weeks.
4. Rubbing dirt on the right knee was the perfect tribute the Mets had for Tom Seaver!
5. mskis -talk to Lovelady or Owens at the School of Govt. There might be a tie-in to your MBA/MPA idea.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Bought a pond.
2. Bought a fire pit.
3. Considered buying materials for a deck.
4. Worked OT this week.
5. Have to go dig a hole.

Planit

Cyburbian
^^^well only if you want to be extra safe, plus you could dip your toes in the water while enjoying the fire. Implementation is key.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Just delivered a draft sidewalk dining ordinance to the downtown restaurants. Phone calls & emails are soon on their way.
2. Rainy, rainy, rainy day - remnants of Beta.
3. Mom is looking at coming up this way in a couple weeks. Haven't seen her in over a year now.
4. The wet weather this year has really washed out the greenway path almost along the entire length next to the creek.
5. I had Taco Hell Bell for lunch.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I have a craving for Taco Bell
2. I have a craving for Arby's
3. I have a craving for Culver's
4. I have a craving for Lee's Fried Chicken
5. I have a craving for a low fat yogurt, tonic water, and garden salad

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
1. Had the gas fireplace cleaned and serviced for the first time since we moved here...need to run it for a few hours afterwards, so it's pretty hot in the house even with all the windows open.
2. Contractors are replacing a retaining wall at the end of our street and it's pretty loud with all the windows open (see above).
3. Got a delivery notification that my birthday present to myself is arriving this afternoon.
4. Looks like Dim Sum take-out for dinner tonight.
5. I wish I could remember the movie Maister was thinking about...I know I've seen it too. Demolition Man?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. This is going to be a difficult day I have the feeling
2. I am going to pay dearly for the privilege of enjoying a weekend. I can feel it in my bones
3. Pork stir fry tonight. I don't think Junior will be pleased.
4. Making our own Oktoberfest dinner/celebration Saturday. We used to have guests over for this but this year its just us
5. Founder's Oktoberfest is a competent marzen.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The entire morning was filled by a workshop on diversity.
2. The afternoon will be filled with catching up from this morning.
3. This weekend is supposed to be great weather & The Girl has a soccer game on Sunday.
4. I was dreading making a phone call to a building owner, but it actually turned out very well.
5. I can drink a good Oktoberfest, but do not like the pumpkin beers.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am burnt the heck out and only 3 hours left of work. Tonight there will be beverage consumption and a movie and tomorrow there will be sleeping in.
2) We are doing something creative for the youngest's birthday party this year. My wife commented this morning about how surprised she was that I came up with the idea and overcame all her concerns.
3) I need coffee... and it is 2PM.
4) I have a realtor/ building owner who is angry at me because I can't just take control of a state highway.
5) I am surprised that brewers will make Pumpkin Beers. For every 1 person that I know that enjoys them, I know 10 that despise them.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I am in the office today. Got a large print and mail job done in 3 hours with the help of our program assistant. Even though we were folding and stuffing envelopes while wearing masks, we got to chat and catch up.

2) There are 2 people from another department at the end of our hallway. Sound echos.

3) No big plans for the weekend. Sleeping in, walking, dog snuggling, maybe some spouse snuggling, and naps.

4) I don't want to adult any more today.

5) The weather is nice, so I will take a walk today before going home.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I would like to allow myself some fun this weekend
2. Let me check my social calendar.....yep, been clear since mid-March
3. We scored not one but TWO Clorox Wipes containers yesterday!!!
4. I need to eat healthier. Except part of me really doesn't
5. Maybe after Covid I might produce a couple episodes of The Cyburbians that we can feature here.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I am looking forward to sleeping :sleep: in this weekend.

2) I really don't want to be at work today. About half the department is either off all day or off for the afternoon. I want to be off too!!:cry:

3) Ordering lunch from a local restaurant we like with curbside pickup. Yum!

4) Bought a couple of specialized masks this week - one for Halloween (spiders!) and one a general fall theme (autumnal colors).

5) Also got a landscaping quote for our yard. I waited too long and we are totally that house on the block - looks like we haven't done anything since spring. And while I'm wanting to get rid of all the roses, Hubby actually wants to keep some of them. Strange - I didn't think he was a roses kind of guy.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Supposed to work this weekend.
2. We are short staffed.
3. It is going to be a sh!tshow.
4. Hubby's bday today. Still don't have his present.
5. Hubby has a big interview today.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
And while I'm wanting to get rid of all the roses, Hubby actually wants to keep some of them. Strange - I didn't think he was a roses kind of guy.
Lots of guys become 'roses kind of guys' after seeing landscaping quote$ or envisioning the quantity of labor required in their removal....

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The days are definitely getting shorter
2. Halloween is probably going to be a nothingburger this year
3. I bought myself a bag of Smarties to console myself concerning this fact
4. Almost every country in the world has armed forces. A few, however, do not
5. Some people are really gaga over Pope Francis. Yes, he's doing the best he can to keep his church relevant

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mom has been here for the past week for a visit. I dropped her off to my brother yesterday.
2. The fall colors aren't very vibrant this year, maybe its still early here.
3. There was a the remnants of a burned tractor trailer on the side of the interstate on our way home. The trailer had advertising for bacon on the side. Mrs. P commented that is the way pre-cooked bacon must be delivered.
4. Saturday will be busy. Sunday not so mush (right now).
5. I blow the leaves off the deck every evening & you can't tell it by the next day right now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. We're moving to work from home half days starting today. For me, that means mornings in the office and afternoons remote.
2. I recently lost some weight. That trend has reversed the last couple weeks
3. I've ordered some Van's shoes online. One pair for me and one for Junior
4. Looking to earn some income on the side
5. I like dirty rice quite a bit. Too bad Mrs. Maister doesn't

Planit

Cyburbian
1. No power until Sunday (hopefully by then)
2. The entire neighborhood is out with several large trees down
3. We had limbs down in the yard but that was it
4. One house has a tree down on it perfectly across the middle of it
5. Grillin' chicken tonight cause its thawing out

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Really struggling to care about the nit-picky, not important details that keep popping up. Do we really have to deal with updating something that became irrelevant 2 years ago? I'd rather spend my time eliminating the deadwood.

2) Weather this week has been yucky. But if we didn't have yucky weather, we wouldn't enjoy the good weather when it returns.

3) Halloween weekend is here. We are doing the same thing we do every year - turn off the lights, watch a movie, drink beverages, and play with the dog.

4) Both of my parents had procedures done this week. Dad's went well but he dropped his glasses after the recovery room and had to get new ones. Mom's did not go so well and she spent a night in the hospital. But she's home now and better.

5) I'm ready to go on another vacation!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
1) Are planners hoarders by nature?
2) I have files from the '60s that are useless today, but interesting reading. I want to keep them.
3) We are moving to a rehabbed c1854 building and keeping interesting, useless files is not an option. Neither is putting them in long-term storage, where they will never, ever be opened, I feel quite sure.
4) As a historian, tossing them bothers me deeply.
5) I do cull very few interesting pieces for posterity, so I guess there's that.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I try not to run the furnace until November. I didn't make it last year, and it's going to take some will power not to turn on the furnace before Sunday. I wasn't working from home previous years and only had to live in the cold house while I cooked dinner and slept. I'm here around the clock now.
2. I'm seriously tired off seeing the backsides of my coworkers' pets during online meetings.
3. The sky has been dark and dreary all week.
4. Some friends and I are considering cooking Thanksgiving dinner over an open fire at a park.
5. I don't buy candy for Halloween. No one bothers to knock on my door.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Our dog has gotten very used to someone being at home, & thus he's inside, everyday of the week.
2. I figured I'll have to mow the grass one more time this year.
3. They had to put in 6 new poles and restring an 8-block section of a main trunk line to get power back to our neighborhood last weekend.
4. I truly hope things will have calmed down by 2021, but I seriously doubt it.
5. Time to start focusing on Christmas.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Park repair crew showed up to fix the leaning light pole and get power restored to the damaged light. What else did they do while in the park? Sever the line that serves the neighborhood, plunging 4,500 into a powerless void of nothingness. On a cold day. Lasted about 2 hours, and in the end, service is back, the light pole is straight, but the light itself still doesn't work:r:.

2) I haven't drunk as much as I expected to during the election shit show. I think I know that it's not over yet, and am saving the good stuff for final victory/defeat.

3) Got handed a crappy project at work. I was hoping to just be a supporting character, instead, I'm #1 on the call sheet.

4) Had a great roundtable session yesterday - my presenter was on the ball, lots of pertinent questions, and overall positive response! This is why we do these things - get good, actionable information out to our members, help them get started on meaningful projects, and show them that there's a support system in place in case they get stuck. Now I just wish this feeling came along with every project.

5) I'm hoping to have a generally calm weekend. I have to help dad with his phone, but otherwise, I think it's going to be a chance to get more hobby work done.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
1. I'm in the office today (first Friday on months) covering for one of my employees who will cover for me on Monday.
2. Getting old (almost 50) sucks as the body is not the same.
3. Pheasant hunt starts tomorrow.
4. TP is absent at my preferred purveyor (Costco).
5. I get to tour the new liquor store next week before it opens to the public.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I haven't been hunting in years
2. I guess I haven't wanted to go hunting badly enough or else I would have.
3. I'll be brutally honest....I'm running out the clock
4. Time to take down the Halloween decorations and put up the Thanksgiving decorations this weekend
5. The shelves at the local supermarkets seem to have a sharp increase in missing items compared to a few weeks ago

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. I rode a bike for the first time in 25+ years this week. I did not fall or make an ass of myself. I think my husband was impressed.
2. Today was my boss' last day. She was apologetic about the things she did not get done. We told her the work will always be there and she did enough.
3. I am in charge next week because the new boss is starting the week after next.
4. My first management decision was to tell the admin she could work from home on Monday.
5. It is 7pm and I am just going home because my boss wasted most of my day trying to get her things done.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. My dad was born on Nov.13th & it was a Friday the 13th too
2. My cousin's first wife name was 'Caryn' & she was batsh!+ crazy
3. At this time, we have no plans for T'giving
4. Should I save the 2020 schedule for our MiLB team - the season that never was
5. I just figured out my age is a prime number - I'm at my Prime!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. 10 yr wedding anniversary is coming up.
2. Trying to figure out if we can take a quick trip somewhere.
3. Too much too do.
4. Not enough energy.
5. I yammer when I am nervous.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Not feeling the work love this afternoon. I was productive this morning, but damn, I want a nap!

2) No big plans for this weekend. Groceries, hobby, sleep.

3) Have dome of my T-day menu planned/ordered. Now I need to figure out how to find room in my already full freezer for more things for that day.

4) At least I don't have to worry about pie. Hubby loves ice cream, so that's what we're having for dessert.

5) I'm tempted to ask for more time off. I'm already taking that Weds before.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Had my '5 year employee' picture taken today & got a certificate
2. Trust goes along ways when dealing with people & some people evidently don't understand that
3. I think there's needs to - nevermind
4. Grilled steaks last night for dinner, but there weren't any leftovers (usually are)
5. We get our longevity checks today