• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Daily things 5️⃣ Five Things Friday

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) My ears have been ringing all week. Have a dr appointment this afternoon to see if there's an obvious reason why.

2) Next week is the dentist - ouch!

3) Judging a virtual speech contest this weekend! The students do it live in their own school in front of cameras, and we view it on our computers. Very different than in the past, but hey - at least it's still happening.

4) I'm very apathetic this morning. More sleep or more coffee is needed.

5) Cold weather is here! It was literally freezing this morning.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. I am wearing a new pair of pants. First time I put my hand in either pocket my fingers go right through the seam in the pocket. WTF?
2. I watched Rudolph the other night. I think I enjoyed it as much as I did when I was a kid in the 70's.
3. New gasket for a refrigerator = $125 including shipping. That's ridiculous.
4. Going to see the Nights of Lights in St. Augustine tomorrow night. Supposed to be really beautiful.
5. It's amazing how losing even a little weight makes your clothes feel so much better. Down 16 pounds over the last few weeks.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. It's the most wonderful time of the year
2. there is some sort of engine revving at a neighbor's house. I'm tryna to do work here fella!
3. I have purchased zero Christmas gifts to date. Gotta get serious about it this weekend
4. The Moody Blues were a very good banc.
5. Junior announced he built a fort somewhere supposedly on 'public property'.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
1. Pandemic is accelerating crazy local real estate prices - on paper my home value has almost doubled and we've only been here 7 years
2. My greatest pandemic accomplishment? Converting my wife to a coffee drinker*
3. Did someone say snack food exchange?
4. Did someone accidently kill the 2020 RTDNTOTO creating the snack food exchange thread?
5. I am not-so-secretly happy not to have to travel at all this Christmas

*if you can still call a mug of half coffee / half eggnog "coffee"

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Gifts for The Girl are easy, for Mrs. P not so much
2. My evaluation is on Monday - 1st time by the CM (ACM used to do mine). I had to prepare a list of accomplishments for him to review
3. Just got back from the new brewery - they'll be brewing before Christmas
4. Didn't drive anywhere to see lights & doesn't look like we'll be doing that this year
5. Was going to play golf with my brother today, but he texted that he didn't feel well this morning - UGH

kms

Cyburbian
1. I just got off the phone with a guy who thinks we deal out permits like playing cards.
2. I worked two days this week, and they feel like seven.
3. I've been trying to return a call from a local activist. She's not taking my calls because they're looking for a more sympathetic ear. They also think I'm incompetent and on the take.
4. Covid restrictions cancelled my plans for the next two weekends.
5. The sun finally came out.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Writing my self-eval portion of the process this week. Fun.

2) Had some minor work done yesterday at the dentist. My tongue was numb from the topical numbing gel for about an hour. Not as bad as when you get the shot that numbs the whole mouth, but still a strange sensation.

3) Ready for the weekend! Plans are minimal but include gift wrapping and grocery shopping.

4) Taking Monday off simply because I can, plus I had nothing planned at work. Now there's a training prep session, but at least it's at a decent time.

5) What's for dinner? I'm thinking Mexican but could be convinced to go Indian.

Planit

Cyburbian
7. Can't believe this is the last Friday before Christmas. I would be picking Mom up at the airport about now, but...COVID
54. This has not been a pleasant week with local bs drama
973. I went out at lunch to run errands & I forgot to get the one specific thing I wanted
3610. I leaving in 2 hours
03288. I've always liked Opus of Bloom County

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
1608320043564.png

Planit

Cyburbian
uno - need to go to the good beer store after work
dos - the burger I had for lunch is starting to repeat itself already
tres - the previous finance director was a stickler with forms and transfers, one of the long term finance employees came and asked for a ream of paper because they were out - I asked of he had the 3 required forms to do such and he thought I was serious for a moment
quatro - I've looked at a couple e-bikes, but not in my price range yet for that
cinco - it's a 3 day weekend!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Just provided a glowing reference for a former employee. Would be a great opportunity for her.
2. It's been a pretty gray and gloomy several days. But gray and gloomy and 60 degrees beats it at 35 degrees every time.
3. Th old wallet is a little lighter as I just went and paid taxes on the lot I own.
4. My car tells me when a headlight is out. Even when it's not on. I didn't even know it did that.
5. My buddy won an e-bike from Ford a few years ago when we attended the Washington Auto Show. It's awesome and he rides it all the time.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Stress levels through the roof with Dad's COVID diagnosis and mom's cancer returning.

2) Next week is my annual review. :eek:

3) Long weekend gives me time to work on a new crochet project.

4) My favorite committee meets next week.

5) I like to watch TV when I crochet - so I will catch up on some shows this weekend.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Was given 19 sauce packets for four tacos at lunch, today.

Don't think I got the CDD job opening at my work.

I really want to be on a beach on some tropical island right about now...

...after playing golf...

...and with Mrs. STTG next to me.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. This is going to be another great day! Grrrrr!
2. Heavy sarcasm in #1 if you didn't get it.
3. 5 weeks of Mondays really sucks.
4. It ain't letting off anytime soon.
5. Full CYA Mode with this group right now.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. FIL had a stroke
2. He's in an in-patient rehab facility now
3. The person who requires the most assistance now is arguably not him but my MIL
4. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
5. Owls are birds. They're not particularly wise.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Pleased with my performance evaluation
2. Even more pleased with the pay increase
3. I'm thinking settling on the right builder is going to be more stressful than actually building the house
4. The dog has graduated from staring down the deer in the backyard to chasing them
5. Showed off the newly delivered fire truck at the Council meeting last night. It's pretty sweet.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1. FIL had a stroke
Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I hope he makes a full recovery!

1) My office needs some work. (Wall repairs, paint, and such)
2) Weekend plans are up in the air. Wife does not want to leave the house or do anything. Kids want to go out someplace for dinner.
3) Wow, the lack of "Planning" work on my to-do list is amazing. It is overwhelmingly administrative or political items.
4) I like what-if numbers... for example, If I won the Mega Millions tonight, the jackpot is $970 million. If I took the cash option that would be $716.3 Million. If I invested 1% of that, $7.163 million, into a Dow Jones Index Fund (conservative average of 7% annual return), I could collect an average of $400,000 a year in interest payments, re-invest the remaining interest to cover inflation (starting with $101,000 the first year) and never touch the principle. The other 99% of the winnings would be gravy to do good things with. (Or stupid things with)
5) MD Planner mentioned a pay increase... would this be in the form of a winning lottery ticket?

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Sorry to hear about @Maister 's FIL.
2. Holy stress, Batman.
3. Itty Bitty had her first German zoom lesson.
4. I picked a bad month to cut down on carbs.
5. Hubby started his new job.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Speaking of parental/in-laws having health issues - my mom is having cancer surgery this morning. If all goes well she'll be home tomorrow. Fingers crossed for Maister's family.

2) I am not dealing well with stress and my ongoing inner ear issues, and then top it off with positive COVID tests and parental health, and I am a basket case.

3) Must be nice to get a good pay raise. Our agency has instituted a limit this year due to COVID.

4) I've decluttered several rooms during COVID. I find it helps to focus on one room at a time. That way, you have accomplished something and feel good about continuing.

5) I've donated clothes and stuff to charities. I have some other items that will probably go to Goodwill eventually. I do not bother to go the Ebay or other marketplace routes. I just want it out of my house.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
4) I like what-if numbers... for example, If I won the Mega Millions tonight, the jackpot is $970 million. If I took the cash option that would be $716.3 Million. If I invested 1% of that, $7.163 million, into a Dow Jones Index Fund (conservative average of 7% annual return), I could collect an average of $400,000 a year in interest payments, re-invest the remaining interest to cover inflation (starting with $101,000 the first year) and never touch the principle. The other 99% of the winnings would be gravy to do good things with. (Or stupid things with)
5) MD Planner mentioned a pay increase... would this be in the form of a winning lottery ticket?
You need to subtract about half from the $716M. Federal and state taxes you know. But still a nice problem to have.

No, no lottery winner here.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mom is in the hospital with back issues - same thing as 16 months ago. Glad my brother is able to help.
2. Another crappy week of crap, now comes 2 days of not caring about it (I hope).
3. Big bright full 'wolf' moon out there. Looks cool.
4. Smashed my finger last evening fixing some damage my dog did to the yard. Damn dog.
5. Friday = pizza night!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I am feeling more empathic than normal today
2. Hardly can wait to start my veggie garden seeds indoors. They should be arriving any day.
3. TGIF
4. beer is not always a good thing
5. The chicken stir fry we had last night was perfectly meh

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Dad had his COVID test and blood drawn for antibodies yesterday. You don't leave the car - I guess they've become adept at drawing blood while patients sit in cars. I couldn't watch the blood draw part - I hate needles.

2) Mom is going to have to have another surgery to remove more tissue. They removed a large mass but the margins aren't clean, so it's back under the knife in about a week.

3) I need a few days of not caring about anything or anyone. I don't want to be drunk, so what drugs are best for a I-don't-care-about-anything state of being?

4) No big plans this weekend. I'm thinking sleep, playing with the new food processor, and needlework.

5) Dog is getting old. She's already slowed down, but that's expected. Now she's having mild seizures (3 that we know of), needs to go out more often, and seems a bit forgetful sometimes. If she starts showing any signs of pain, I'll take her to the vet.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Honestly can't believe I'm typing this but I LIKE riced cauliflower.
2. I'm also ok with eating heart of palm pasta. It's really not bad when paired with a good sauce.
3. My best friend turned 60 this week. He's been a true friend through thick and thin. I wanted to do something epic for his birthday but f&$%ing COVID.
4. I don't know how some of you people have that much time to binge watch. That thread boggles my mind some days.
5. Merit increases will be on the next paycheck. We have to sign a form acknowledging the payroll change. Weirdest thing I've seen. "Yes, I will sign so you will give me more money". I've never had to do that anywhere else I've worked.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) A coworker pointed out how grey my hair has gotten the past few months. Stress will do that I guess.
2) My kids teachers are wonderful, but virtual learning is a load of crap.
3) The Detroit Redwings are an embarrassment again this year.
4) Our next door neighbor said awesome things about my kids yesterday. We were especially proud of our special needs son in how he interacted with the neighbor.
5) I am over winter already.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Didn't win my dream house in Italy.
2. Can't find a house in Germany.
3. Tried to give my notice to my boss today but she was out.
4. Just had lunch and already thinking about dinner.
5. Chicken bacon ranch pizza!

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. I haven't gone outside today, its 18 degrees out and icy. I told myself I would use today to write to old colleagues of mine back in NY and get ahead of job applications and paperwork for returning to my MUP program, anxiety dictated otherwise and I feel low and unproductive.

2. I ordered a printer to finish my taxes and passport renewal, since copy shops are considered "non-essential" businesses and indefinitely barred from operating by the Provincial government due to our ongoing covid lockdown. It should arrive on Tuesday.

3. I'm not at risk of having to declare personal bankruptcy and I have little debt (still in 3 figure territory, thank Christ), however my finances are pretty shaky due to the ongoing pandemic and being underemployed. If I can't find someone to takeover my lease by April, I am going to have to take out a loan from the first national bank of Mom & Dad and it is freaking me out. My 20s are ending in 2 months, and I should have been much more stable by now, but got sidetracked by the swan song of the Punk Rock lifestyle and my own hubris.

4. I am finally getting the rear shocks, sway bar linkages and drum brakes replaced on my Toyota next week, yay! The car has been off the road for a month, because the parts I needed had to come from the U.S. and go through customs. If I had ordered Canadian parts, I would have paid twice what I did on rockauto. Once the car is back up and running, I am going to use it for part time delivery work, which should stave off financial ruin for the time being.

5. The job I had through most of last year paid me as a consultant, meaning withholdings weren't taken off the top. Depending on how my taxes play out, I may not be able to afford to pay Canada Revenue Agency what I owe, and would need to work out a payment plan. It is freaking me out. I was living paycheck to paycheck and did not put away what I should have to ensure this wouldn't be an issue. While it is my fault at the end of the day, I had bills to pay...

Planit

Cyburbian
1. It's been a hell of a week, month - small town politics can be a bigly PITA
2. Workload is doubled until there's a new hire, but that won't be for a least a couple months
3. Mom was moved to the physical rehab facility yesterday & getting settled in
4. Going to visit The Girl's first choice university tomorrow (which also means there will be at least a t-shirt purchase)
5. 'They're' saying we might get snow Sunday

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Busy weekend, and I already want a nap.

2) Got my first box/order from Imperfect Food. Interesting packaging, and we'll be adding some fresh fruit to the menu.

3) I wish I didn't procrastinate.

4) Is it normal to be jealous of the dog? :dog:

5) Grrr. Some days that's just my response to everything.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I worked in the office today. That's pretty rare these days.

2. Some guy I wrote up a few years ago wound up in court with the township, and he called to see how he resolved things with me. He didn't. I tried 3 times to email reports to him. He doesn't even know his own email address and three times his email bounced back. Snail mail for this.

3. I find the best French Onion soup at a little BBQ place that a trained chef owns. I'll be there for lunch tomorrow.

4. I had some dental work that's given me an earache.

5. My coworker left two cupcakes in their plastic packaging on his desk when we evacuated for covid. They look as good as they did when we left in March. He wants to donate them to the history museum covid exhibit.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I have a staff member who will be in my office the end of the day to complain about us not supporting their goals.
2) I don't think I am going to watch the NFL's tribute to Tom Brady this weekend.
3) I am listening to Death and Life of Great American Cities on audiobook right now. It is weird how the description of Robert Moses made me think of Trump.
4) Finished up the book on Tomas Jefferson and it got me thinking about how Aaron Burr was VP when she shot and killed Hamilton. Can you imagine of something like that happened today.
5) I have been in a brain fog for the past couple of weeks. The weather has also sucked. I wonder if there is a correlation.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Work issues haven't really changed
2. I have a new phone (well actually The Girl's old phone) & it's the first one I've had that doesn't have a home button - learning new stuff
3. Things feeling really 'pent up frustration' on several fronts right now with some friends and coworkers
4. Our best friends aren't moving away, she turned down a job offer, we told her we are both sad and glad for different reasons
5. Now, what's for lunch? Hmmm

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Strong apathy feels over here. Weather related or time to take a vacation?

2) I'd rather be in Cancun for a few days (or hours!) than here right now, but even a political noob like me knows that's not a good look.

3) I feel like I have an automatic response of No right now - because obviously I'm right. Might tie back into #1.

4) The dog has adjusted somewhat to the cold and snow. She doesn't like it but will get off the porch to do her business. Walks are extremely short because of ice and she's OK with that.

5) I've been lucky because no burst pipes. One coworker had an upstairs pipe burst the first night, then an outside faucet cause water in the wall to freeze the next night. Another coworker had a pipe burst in the living room ceiling. Two coworkers were without power for 3+ days. I've had power and internet blips (rarely at the same time, of course) but otherwise OK.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Had interview for RN position in Germany. It went well.
2. Had follow-up "chat" with potential co-worker in Germany. I thought it went well.
3. She ended our conversation with, "I wish you luck." Eeek. Maybe it didn't go as well as I thought?
4. RN position is full-time. I haven't worked full-time since 2013. :oops:
5. First world problem but I don't have to work but the $$ would be very nice.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Five weeks into my new job and so far, so good. Driving in Winter has not been great.
2.) Pleased that Iowa Basketball seems to be pointing up again.
3.) Excited to see my 2 younger kids this weekend. Missed them lately some because of crappy weather.
4.) Svengoolie has another Invisible Man movie on tomorrow night.
5.) I am swimming over 2 miles a week currently.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I love carbonated water. Not just the flavored stuff but just regular carbonated water. I have seriously consumed at least a gallon and a half per day this week. We bought one of the SodaStream things but for just water, and I have been using it constantly.
2) I am so freaking thrilled that it is almost the weekend. Part of me wants to do nothing, part of me wants to kill a massive to-do list, including possibly tearing out our stand-up shower redoing it with a tile and glass shower. Wife is also on call all weekend too.
3) The weather has been horrible here lately. This will only be the third sunny weekend in 2021. We got 3 inches of rain in the last 2 days and it has been colder than average.
4) I have a serious craving for buffalo wings, but we are doing salmon on the grill for dinner tonight. I am going to use the Wisconsin paper bag method.
5) I have often wondered why the subway stations in NYC are so ornate, when some others such as Chicago are very plain looking. DC's isn't horrible, but its not NYC... I don't remember what Philly's looked like.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Well it turned chilly here again
2. Mrs. P is really enjoying the online grocery shopping. There is always a substitute for something. She thinks of it as a mystery surprise.
3. We received a check from the car insurance company. Nice that its the other way around for once.
4. The HS soccer coach cares about the boys team, but not at all about the girls team. Sad.
5. Anybody know a good house painter?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Lots of rain and thunder last night. Too bad Hubby wasn't able to sleep through it like I was!

2) Had my hearing checked today. Nice to know my hearing results were the best he's seen all week! Too bad we have to take a long view on the ringing in my ears.

3) Still feeling blah about a specific work aspect/program. I wish I could work up some enthusiasm for it - but I just seem to have a mental block.

4) Updating the resume so it's ready if there's an opening that looks good.

5) Ready for the weekend - even if it won't be quite as nice as the last one.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
1. Still underemployed, but interviews for potential online job went well. On verra le résultat, mais je ne croise pas mes doights que ça se réalisera .

2. Still sober but have been craving herbs badly, using all the coping mechanisms Ive worked on with my therapist, strongest of which is simply looking at my triple digit bank account and being like "nah, I just can't afford the luxury"

3. Still regret all my life choices since 2016. Stoked to move back home in April and restart school in the Fall.

4. Still thinking about the woman I moved back here to pursue who friendzoned than ghosted me after a month back in Canada and moved out West. still have her deleted from all my socials but I no longer feel resentment towards her, more just sorry that she had to put up with me for so long!

5. Im not suidical, but if someone fatally shot me in a convenience store robbery gone wrong or I got hit by a bus, I think there could be worse things that could happen. At least in Purgatory, I won't have to worry about paying rent, feeling shame over moving back in with mom and dad at 30, and having to find work in a depression economy.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
1. Still underemployed, but interviews for potential online job went well. On verra le résultat, mais je ne croise pas mes doights que ça se réalisera .

2. Still sober but have been craving herbs badly, using all the coping mechanisms Ive worked on with my therapist, strongest of which is simply looking at my triple digit bank account and being like "nah, I just can't afford the luxury"

3. Still regret all my life choices since 2016. Stoked to move back home in April and restart school in the Fall.

4. Still thinking about the woman I moved back here to pursue who friendzoned than ghosted me after a month back in Canada and moved out West. still have her deleted from all my socials but I no longer feel resentment towards her, more just sorry that she had to put up with me for so long!

5. Im not suidical, but if someone fatally shot me in a convenience store robbery gone wrong or I got hit by a bus, I think there could be worse things that could happen. At least in Purgatory, I won't have to worry about paying rent, feeling shame over moving back in with mom and dad at 30, and having to find work in a depression economy.
As someone who older than you, remember this simple saying. And this too shall pass. Hang in there.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am going to get a hair cut tomorrow. In the past I have cut my own hair, but I need to run out several places tomorrow, so I thought why not.
2) It was 70 and sunny here the other day. Today is won't hit 50 and it is raining. Sunday might be nice. It will at least be warm.
3) I ordered a new Redwings hat and it arrived. It is way too big, so I have to return it. However I bought it on sale and the sale is no longer going on, so to swap it out it is going to cost me extra, plus shipping.
4) My youngest wants to get into golf. Which I think is awesome. But all the places that do golf lessons are in the middle of the day on week days. I don't play well enough to teach him much of anything, so we are looking at options.
5) The other night we were out to eat and a hockey game was on TV. My middle son had to sit next to me so he too could see the game and told us that he wants to learn to play hockey. I am super fired up about that, but unfortunately he will need to put on some weight if he wants to play. He is smaller in build than is brother who is almost 2 years younger.