• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Daily things 5️⃣ Five Things Friday

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Currently enjoying a Starbucks frozen drink thing.
2. Got out of work early. Yay!
3. Can't go home because they are showing the house.
4. It is super windy out.
5. Thankful for sunny days.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Hubby has dental appt later that will be painful. I'm on standby in case he can't drive himself home.

2) This week has been pretty peaceful at work, because a certain person is on Spring Break. However, this means next week will suck.

3) I've started looking for some new skills/add to my toolbox so to speak. I think that learning some new stuff will help with the inevitable job hunt.

4) I really want a nap. I thought I slept well but I am dragging this morning.

5) I really wish things had worked out better. I'm at a loss as to how to fix some of the problems I'm facing.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Ah, budget season is just glorious isn't it?
2. I wish I was still in Key West.
3. Living there could sway me to actually buy a boat.
4. Unless I hit the lottery I'll just be visiting often.
5. Everyone drives so everyone is a traffic engineer. That's fun.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) We are moving... at some point in the next few years... to be closer to my current job. But this time, we are going to change it up and move to the country on a couple of acres. For right now, we are looking for land and trying to decide the details of a house we want to build. As of right now, we think we have a decent idea, but I am sure it will change a thousand more times before plans are submitted.
2) We (I) started spring cleaning last weekend and it will likely continue for the next couple of months. The goal is to be free of clutter by spring.
3) Middle son has been extremely distracted lately. It has caused issues with his classes as well as his therapy over the past few weeks.
4) This week has been ridiculous and I am so looking forward to a peaceful weekend. I might do some landscaping, might go for a walk... who knows.
5) Next few weeks is going to be very busy. Planning a vacation in July so hopefully covid is done by then.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm at 40 hours and calling it a day.
2. I'm picking up my bike from the shop. It's a little too cool to ride this weekend. It's only logged miles on the back of my car this year.
3. I missed lunch and feel hungry.
4. Yes, its time for spring cleaning. I also have to convert my back porch from winter clutter to a usable room.
5. That is all. Have a good weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1617369106539.png

1. I have a craving for strawberry shortcake.
2. I just planted 20 strawberry plants from bare root in my garden last weekend.
3. Unfortunately, they probably won't produce any strawberries until next year
4. That does nothing to sate my desire for strawberry shortcake now
5. My mother used to make strawberry shortcake when we were kids using frozen strawberries......but nah, I'm not that desperate yet.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm baking pineapple upside down cake for Easter dessert.
2. We had some rough weather last night with heavy snow squalls and icy roads. I'm thankful that my sons and I each arrived home safely.
3. My grandson will be here this weekend!
4. Time for emergency housecleaning.
5. Son #2 and I are going bicycle shopping later. I hope we find a good bike for him. I love vicarious shopping.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Half day for me! Not because it's a holiday - I'm just taking the afternoon off.

2) Overnight trip to Houston this weekend.

3) Feeling a bit . . . off I guess. Don't know why - not sick, just off.

4) Been going through clothes and cabinets, doing some more "do I really need to keep this" purging. I did my closet twice - last spring at the beginning of the pandemic and again last in the fall - so now it's the coat closet, kitchen cabinets, and the boxes in the guest closet.

5) Mom is halfway through chemo. Once that's done, it's 3-4 months of other stuff. Cancer sucks.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Back home - the drive down there was crappy as hell with all the traffic. back home was more normal.
2. Bubba, I hate ATL traffic!!!
3. We are off today @ work, but I came to keep up stuff that might have been left for me.
4. Tonight is the last HS football game The Girl gets to be drum major. She says shes going to pull a prank on the director.
5. Laying low this weekend and sorting some old things I brought home - one of which is an unopened bottle of cologne from 1973, complete with original bag and receipt from the Virgin Islands.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
5. Laying low this weekend and sorting some old things I brought home - one of which is an unopened bottle of cologne from 1973, complete with original bag and receipt from the Virgin Islands.
Speaking of which, its been quite a while since I restocked cologne. They still sell "Hai Karate" don't they?

Planit

Cyburbian
Dude, you caught the light version of it - just wait until the pandemic is over and rush hour(s) revert to normal...

I went through starting about 2:30 yesterday. A 20 mile backup south of the I-75/I-675 connection, around I-285 that lasted north past Beaver Ruin Road in Gwinnett on I-85.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I went through starting about 2:30 yesterday. A 20 mile backup south of the I-75/I-675 connection, around I-285 that lasted north past Beaver Ruin Road in Gwinnett on I-85.
Yikes - I retract the "light version" observation.

Lowland

Cyburbian
1. It's a half day and the mood is good.
2. Asst. Manager made breakfast in the break room for everyone. Continuing the good mood vibes.
3. There's some big changes coming down the pipe (that not everyone knows about), so it's very "calm before the storm."
4. It's the last day of cold for this frigid week, it's supposed to be up to 60 tomorrow!
5. I may take a nap after work. Feeling wild!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Everything outside is yellow!
2. Weird week with getting caught up and new demands
3. These next 2 months are going to be busy with The Girl & that's a good thing
4. In the thick of budget season & ours is very lean but workable for now
5. I have my tickets for (home) opening night at the local ballpark

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. One of the drawbacks of my job is late night texts and calls informing me of significant law enforcement events.
2. Last night we had a shooting. Guy was shot multiple times but has "no idea" why someone would want to kill him. Riiiiight
3. Separating and prioritizing "needs" during budget time is tough. We have lots of needs as well as wants.
4. That said, we're in a position to be able to fund many of them so that's good.
5. I'm not a fan of the group story thread. Glad many are enjoying but it's not for me. Wish there was a way I could make it so it wouldn't show as "unread". #firstworldproblems

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Went to the office yesterday and turned my desk 90 degrees. I'll keep it for a while, see if I like the new look. It's a bit tight without moving the bookcase but I'm not up for that much furniture moving right now.

2) Second vaccine shot tomorrow!!

3) I'm really struggling in some areas, due to long-haul COVID symptoms. Not having much of a memory - short and long term - makes it difficult to get projects/tasks done. I have to write every little thing down, and it's killing me.

4) Mom has her 3rd chemo treatment today.

5) I really want to curl up on the bed and just tune everything out for a while. Might have to do with #3 above, but I really just don't want to deal with the same shit day after day.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
1. I have a lovely lavender front lawn right now.
2. Mayor just showed me that he is giving me a small merit raise. I'll take it, TYVM.
3. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so probably no yard work.
4. May take the son out for more practice driving my 6-speed manual.
5. 4PM EDST would be welcome right about now.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Washed 3 of our cars yesterday after work. It was relaxing & satisfying & we don't have yellow cars anymore (at least for a couple days)
2. I need some plans this weekend & yard work shouldn't be one, but it is
3. I want to buy something like a Renault Dauphin & put an electric powertrain in it, but that takes talent & money which is lacking for such
4. Getting quotes to paint the exterior of the house - 1st one seemed high & the 2nd should be coming in soon
5. Going on month 5 of the work situation with solutions running at an unmotivated sloth's pace

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Rainy day and Friday - I want a nap.

2) Boss is irritating but that's nothing new. The Big Boss gave me Great Job mojo, and the boss trampled it with gusto. I wonder if she realizes that she does that?

3) Lunch with a vaccinated friend this weekend! Will be outside, on a patio, but still - ladies who lunch!

4) Still want that nap. I have a call later this afternoon or I would take the afternoon to snooze.

5) Judging a virtual speech tomorrow. It's fun - and helps out my old speech coach. I've been able to help a lot more since it's virtual.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) If it was not for the pollen outside today, it would be perfect weather to get out side. While the yellow pollen is mostly done, we are now into the 'bad' pollen that is super small and causes the most allergy issues for me.
2) Wife had to go into work at 11:30 PM last night and got home at 2:30 PM today. The middle son has Therapy from 4-7, so I am going to get dinner situated so we can eat right at 7, and then the wife will go to bed and I will let the kids stay up and watch a movie for a while so they will sleep in tomorrow. (I am the one who gets up with them anyways, but this way they are less likely to wake her up in the morning.
3) I planted some tall fescue last year and I planted more this spring. So I am not going to mow my lawn for the next month. I hate the Bermuda grass with a passion and I want the fescue to establish as deep of a root structure as possible.
4) The number of legislative bills being considered at the state capital right now that deal with Planning and Zoning is unreal. A few of them might have huge impacts on local regulations.
5) The Red Wings have won 3 in a row against teams that are higher in the division than them... which is everyone.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Pollen Pollen Everywhere
2. I hope the rain tomorrow will wash a lot of pollen away
3. Using the leaf blower every evening on the sidewalk, porch & decks but can't tell the next day
4. The dog gets wiped down every time he comes in the house
5. Looked at a lot of old pictures last night - some were hilarious

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Got the vehicle title transferred. Now the owner of a 2018 Honda CR-V
2. We have a dog with a very pleasant temperament. Except she does NOT like other dogs (we think it has something to do with her pre-rescue life)
3. Had breakfast for dinner last night. That was nice.
4. Junior has recently discovered his favorite new food is corned beef hash
5. There are more empty bottles of Faygo awaiting return in the deposit bin in our garage than you'd find after an Insane Clown Posse concert.

1619191447917.png

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) The decision has been made... we are staying in our current house and making some "upgrades" to the house. First of which is an in-ground pool and fence for the back yard. I was a more than a little shocked by how expensive those things are right now, so it might a year before we are in. This weekend I will be preparing a full landscape plan for the back yard and it will be done in phases, but when completed will be lined with shade trees, patio with outdoor kitchen, and more.
2) There is a prediction for nasty weather tomorrow afternoon. I might mow the lawn in the morning before it rains.
3) We have a great business that is moving to a new location with better access. However the owner is getting on the City for not promoting his business more.
4) I watched the Nat-Geo/ ABC documentary for Earth Day called Our America - Climate of Home and found it very interesting and scary all at the same time. https://abc13.com/our-america/our-america-climate-of-hope-|-live/10503513/
5) We have a bunch of stuff we want to get rid of and trying to decide if we want to sell stuff on line or just donate it all someplace. Part of me questions if it would be more of a hassle to sell it than it is worth. Anyone interested in a juicer?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Vacation day today. Got the car inspected and oil changed, picked up some perishables, and grabbed lunch.

2) Thunderstorms! Morning was muggy - now you can hear the storms appropaching.

3) Next week will be busy, and the two after that as well. That's why today was the best for a long weekend.

4) Cousin is coming to town for Memorial Day! She is fully vaccinated, as are all the family down here, and she is celebrating a big birthday by flying down here.

5) Will be loading some donations into the car soon. Depending on the load, we donate (really, it's just me) to either the local women & children's shelter, or to the thrift store that supports the animal shelters.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. It was 37 very early this morning when I walked the dog. Now it's 71. :oops:

2. I really want to get started building the new house but the price of lumber . . . .

3. It's a supply and demand thing and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

4. When I was younger I really liked to go out on Friday after a long week. Now most times I'm much more content grabbing some takeout and
staying home. Then I get a nice early start on Saturday.

5. Not counting Cyburbia and a sports message board or two (very anonymous) I have no social media presence beyond LinkedIn. I like it like that.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. It's time for me to get serious (again) about living a healthier lifestyle
2. agenda packets going out today
3. I feel I have provided some very well-written staff reports, but have never received recognition for it
4. Watched 'What the Bleep Do We Know' last night for the first time in over a decade. I think I look at things much more critically now than when I first watched it
5. We are to understand that our pathological behaviors can be explained as the result of being addicted to certain neurochemicals which we habitually trigger. Our neuroreceptors physically change structure if/when we consciously alter our thoughts and allows us to remove these addictions gradually over time. I guess I can go along with that.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Meeting to give annual review later this morning.

2) Internal position going to be posted, and it's not something I want. Oh well, continue the search!

3) Rainy weather is mucking up my husband's weekend plans. And therefore, mucking mine up too.:(

4) I've got errands to run this weekend. I think the grocery store is going to be the most exciting place.

5) Strange dreams last night. Not as weird as the night after the vaccine shot, but still . . . weird.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Work truck died on me in the field. Motor pool people had to come get it & me.
2. School fundraiser BBQ for lunch today & it was very good.
3. Evening weekend plans but none really during the day, so its yard work I reckon.
4. Why does Finance continue to make things difficult.
5. I don't even know anymore...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. So I truly don't know what to do for a covid safe Mothers Day
2. Junior got in trouble yesterday and reamed out royally for failing most of his classes
3. Heck of a prelude to Mother's Day. Really puts him in a considerate gift-giving mood I'm sure.
4. I will be glad when in-person school returns
5. I need 5 CC's Xanax administered through an IV drip stat

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Number of dog(s) we presently own
2. Number of weeks until The Girl's last band concert
3. Number of night meetings I've had this week
4. Number of vehicles we own
5. Number of days I waited for a response from Admin

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I have an off-site event today :mask:

2) Morning meeting was canceled so I'm going to work on the back-office stuff that I was thinking of looking at during the meeting

3) Doing the mom's day thing on Saturday - I'm bringing flowers

4) I want a new job. Preferably one that lets me dress casual, work when I want, and still pays a lot.

5) I have little tolerance for stress today.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm in a training webinar hosted by the big sister agency. I'm hearing that someone expects us to do engineering level work, and we're mostly biology and environmental people. Scary.

2. This weekend's bike trip is cancelled because of cool and rainy weather. That leaves me available for a family dinner i'd rather not attend.

3. My kids' father never recognized Mothers Day, and I grew to hate the holiday where I'm concerned.

4. My kids are trying though.

5. Italian food around here is overrated. If you have to drown it in sauce, it can't be that good.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. We are having a budget workshop today at 1PM. I guess I'd rather get it out of the way.
2. Discovered a great local butcher shop. Less than 2 miles from the house. I probably should have looked harder before.
3. Cleaned my office really well while listening to a NPC21 session.
4. Always nice to come in on Monday morning to a clean and organized office.
5. The zoom call was fun. We should do that again.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I feel like I have been running as hard as I can for the past couple of weeks only to have a long way to go over the next 5 weeks. But it is going to be smooth sailing once we get into mid June.
2) I am grilling salmon for dinner tonight. I am trying to decide what sides I want with it though.
3) I bought an ale that said it had hints of grapefruit and blood orange. It was more than hints... it tasted as if they mixed one part IPA with four parts grapefruit juice. It tasted like crap.
4) I am going to mow my lawn tomorrow morning. It needs it.
5) This weekend, a new tap room will be having a "Soft Opening". I think I might need to stop in to show my support for local beer locally owned businesses.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Working with NCDOT can either be easy or very maddening
2. Its exhausting when it takes 2 weeks to be able to log into the submission portal - which was supposed to make things easy & you have to use this instead of mailing it in because of COVID (looking at you NCDOT)
3. Need to figure out a date this summer to go to the big city for a Van Gogh exhibit
4. Lots going on during the next couple weeks at home
5. It was great to go to the MiLB game this week - good baseball, cold beer & bad food!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
i. Did you know that lower case Roman numerals are called Romanettes? Now you do. (You're welcome!)
ii. We were selected by our state university to participate in a greenhouse gas emissions inventory, along with several others. This is seriously cool and very important. But guess who has to get up to speed on the science? Thank goodness we are hiring an extern to help us out, because Science is the reason I was a History major. :cool:
iii. Son and I plan to attend a MiLB game soon. Almost two years since we did that last time.
iv. Aside from a few rainy days, the first half of May has been gorgeous - cool temperatures and absent humidity. Yes, I'll have some more, please.
v. I'm bringing my mask with me, just in case I need to visit someplace where they are still required. I may bring it out again once flu season returns, in addition to getting the flu vaccine.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Looks like we've buttoned up our budget and first reading will be next Thursday. Everyone is fairly happy so that's good.
2. Attended a Chamber awards event last night. It was held outside at an absolutely stunningly beautiful plantation. If you think "the South" this is the type of place that comes to mind.
3. Headed to a home and garden show Sunday. I love getting new ideas from these kinds of things. I've missed them.
4. Looking like Jimmy Buffett may be returning to the road in August. Rejoice Parrotheads!
5. I've met several full-time RVers down here. I'm fascinated by that lifestyle. It would be really fun for a year or two but then I'd want to settle down someplace I think.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Instapot has a roast in it for tonight
2) Neighborhood pool opens today, but it has been a bit on the cold side for swimming. I doubt that there will be a large turnout.
3) Our budgets are completed and only 4 more meetings to get it adopted.
4) I wonder how many places will still require social distancing, despite the Governor's lifting of the regulations that justified it in the first place.
5) I am going to sleep in tomorrow morning and love every moment of it.