• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Five Things Tuesday

Planit

Cyburbian
1. When I was downeast this weekend, we saw the space station zoom over us on Saturday night. Always cool!
2. According to The Girl's laundry, even if you wear clothes for 5 minutes, they go in the hamper.
3. She does her own laundry.
4. I'll be in a 4-hour CIP work session today. I'll get to hear how bad of shape everything is in public works.
5. This will be followed by the standard Council meeting tonight where I get to present on a couple items.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I have a meeting regarding Regional Building Codes today. Usually not as boring as it sounds, but . . .

2) My boss, who is on a nitpick/micromanagement/can't let go kick will also be there.

3) Hopefully all goes well this morning, or I might be drinking at lunch :beer:

4) Hubby is working from home 2 days a week from now until the remodel is done. Lucky.

5) Weather is schizophrenic. What meds should I prescribe? How do I ensure that the weather takes its meds?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1) My old boss left last week
2) We're putting up Halloween decorations around the house this week.
3) Red beans and rice leftovers for dinner tonight
4) I've been experiencing the travel itch for the last couple months and have been unable to scratch
5) Things have been 25% less contentious with Junior lately (that's still 75% too much)

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Today is Game 1 of the World Series
2. Today is Mrs. P's birthday
3. There's not much on today's calendar at work
4. Tomorrow's calendar at work is jammed packed
5. The exterminator just came by & sprayed the office

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Just got one item on the November zoning board agenda. Kinda wish it was none.
2. Experiencing a moderate amount of anxiety this morning. Not sure why.
3. I find I'm allowing myself to think about retirement a bit these days. Didn't used to.
4. Virtually every room in our house needs new carpeting or flooring.
5. Probably going to have to replace the furnace too in the next year or two. Should I wait for it to fail first?

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Rainy morning, but it seems to be tailing off...
2. ...which is good, because I want to grill tonight. Hopefully the sun will come out at some point and dry off the deck.
3. Our alpha house cat thinks that mornings when I work from home signal playtime for her in my office. It totally isn't a distraction...
4. Being off the road for a couple of weeks is nice.
5. It's taken me long enough to type out this list that the rain has restarted.

EDIT:

5. Probably going to have to replace the furnace too in the next year or two. Should I wait for it to fail first?
No, only because if you get out in front of it, you'll have more time to find the right furnace/right price/right company to install it.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Its cold now. Biking days will be hard to come by for a while.
2.) Software is supposed to make life easier, but often doesn't.
3.) I dont like Nutella, but I do like Hazelnut Coffee
4.) We have Senior Dining in our building 2X a week, and I pray they dont use garlic
5.) I have a lot of frustration with road contractors these days.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
  1. Old roof goes bye-bye
  2. Getting a new roof
  3. Done in one day
  4. Messy yard
  5. Will walk house perimeter this afternoon looking for missed debris.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Vehicle Troubles Suck
2) Sometimes I wish people would just hire contractors to take of things for them...
3) I am kind of looking forward to the Christmas Season this year.
4) I really need to get a good night's sleep tonight
5) Can it just be Friday today?

1) My old boss left last week
Say What? (JE or VG?) Who is in the corner office now?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I should probably take my car in for new tires.

2) I'm hungry. I ate early because of a workshop, and now I will have to drive home thinking about how hungry I am.

3) What's for dinner? Fish? Chicken? Leftovers?

4) Rest of the week looks pretty good.

5) Still hungry.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I'm not having much success sticking with the workouts at the Y routine
2. Flea & tick medicine for dogs is expensive
3. Bluegrass music is cool
4. I could go for some good quality coffee right now. As it is, the only thing in the office is Maxwell House
5. Been doing quite a bit of baking on the weekends

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Just returned from a college application & finance workshop The Girl's HS puts on for parents of juniors. Head is now spinning.
2. Wondering about a lot of future things for some time now.
3. Local elections are next week - please hurry and be done.
4. Our dog growled at the turkey vulture eating a squished squirrel in the street in front of the house.
5. We had a pumpkin carving party Sunday night resulting in some great jack-o-lanterns.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Major Big HUGE project wrapping up at work with another on deck...
2) My oldest was watching Jeopardy this morning... he is 10.
3) The new ride has a "Sport" setting. It changes the shift points on the Transmission and a few other things.
4) The relationships that I built with private sector folks while I was working for other places in the region has really paid off here.
5) Too many carbs at lunch.... I need a nap.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Not feeling well today. Woke up with a nasty headache and dizzy, so stayed home.

2) Still have the headache, but at least the dizzy stuff has passed.

3) Really cold and wet outside. Yuck.

4) Hoping for wet Halloween because I don't like trick or treaters.

5) Been watching a couple of the new shows this season. Might keep up with them.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Dating is cold
2) I really want Iowa to beat Wisconsin Saturday, but have my doubts
3) Instead of a city stormwater management plan we are trying to do one for our watershed across jurisdictions. Should be interesting.
4) I never expected to become a soils expert
5) The senior dining people in our building use too much garlic

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Can't wait for the day to be over with this local election
2. Somewhere around 9:00, I'll open a beer and the elections results - I'll either say "crap" or "yippee"
3. Mid-week will be busy, but Friday looks calm (right now)
4. After waiting since June on a request to DOT, I received an email this morning from them asking to meet for further documentation
5. I want ice cream

Planit

Cyburbian
1. A week after the local elections and the dust is still settling.
2. Cold, wet, rainy today. It was much colder at lunch than when I walked into work this morning.
3. I was mistakenly offered a veterans discount at lunch today, which I graciously declined & told them I am not a veteran. They didn't charge me for my drink instead.
4. Glad to see all the Halloween candy is gone, well except for a Reeses PB Cup I'm 'saving'
5. I get 4 to 7 emails every day from Best Buy - that's ridiculous.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Working on the annual update report for the Governor's office. Nothing like a looming deadline to get the creative juices flowing!

2) Haven't been sleeping well. I blame the bad weather: wind and rain.

3) Was gone for 3 days/2 nights last week. Upon my return to the house, the dog gave me an "oh so you're back" look. Little spoiled doggie . . . hubby is so wrapped around her paw.

4) I'm not ready for this cold weather.

5) Coffee sounds good right now . . .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Oddly enough, I got like 7 hours of sleep last night. It was wonderful. If only I could have gotten one more hour of sleep I would be operating at full capacity
2. My belt buckle told me this morning to get back to the gym. I'm on the last belt hole and feel this needs to be a Stalingrad moment. Stop the advance. No new belt!
3. I finished writing the minutes this morning in less than a half hour
4. The brake light on the dash turned on for about 20 seconds this morning and then turned off. Hmmm what can that mean?
5. I decided not to get a cord of firewood this year. It was 13 degrees this morning and I'm already regretting that decision