• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Five Things Tuesday

Planit

Cyburbian
1. When I was downeast this weekend, we saw the space station zoom over us on Saturday night. Always cool!
2. According to The Girl's laundry, even if you wear clothes for 5 minutes, they go in the hamper.
3. She does her own laundry.
4. I'll be in a 4-hour CIP work session today. I'll get to hear how bad of shape everything is in public works.
5. This will be followed by the standard Council meeting tonight where I get to present on a couple items.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I have a meeting regarding Regional Building Codes today. Usually not as boring as it sounds, but . . .

2) My boss, who is on a nitpick/micromanagement/can't let go kick will also be there.

3) Hopefully all goes well this morning, or I might be drinking at lunch :beer:

4) Hubby is working from home 2 days a week from now until the remodel is done. Lucky.

5) Weather is schizophrenic. What meds should I prescribe? How do I ensure that the weather takes its meds?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1) My old boss left last week
2) We're putting up Halloween decorations around the house this week.
3) Red beans and rice leftovers for dinner tonight
4) I've been experiencing the travel itch for the last couple months and have been unable to scratch
5) Things have been 25% less contentious with Junior lately (that's still 75% too much)

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Today is Game 1 of the World Series
2. Today is Mrs. P's birthday
3. There's not much on today's calendar at work
4. Tomorrow's calendar at work is jammed packed
5. The exterminator just came by & sprayed the office

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Just got one item on the November zoning board agenda. Kinda wish it was none.
2. Experiencing a moderate amount of anxiety this morning. Not sure why.
3. I find I'm allowing myself to think about retirement a bit these days. Didn't used to.
4. Virtually every room in our house needs new carpeting or flooring.
5. Probably going to have to replace the furnace too in the next year or two. Should I wait for it to fail first?

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. Rainy morning, but it seems to be tailing off...
2. ...which is good, because I want to grill tonight. Hopefully the sun will come out at some point and dry off the deck.
3. Our alpha house cat thinks that mornings when I work from home signal playtime for her in my office. It totally isn't a distraction...
4. Being off the road for a couple of weeks is nice.
5. It's taken me long enough to type out this list that the rain has restarted.

EDIT:

5. Probably going to have to replace the furnace too in the next year or two. Should I wait for it to fail first?
No, only because if you get out in front of it, you'll have more time to find the right furnace/right price/right company to install it.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1.) Its cold now. Biking days will be hard to come by for a while.
2.) Software is supposed to make life easier, but often doesn't.
3.) I dont like Nutella, but I do like Hazelnut Coffee
4.) We have Senior Dining in our building 2X a week, and I pray they dont use garlic
5.) I have a lot of frustration with road contractors these days.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
  1. Old roof goes bye-bye
  2. Getting a new roof
  3. Done in one day
  4. Messy yard
  5. Will walk house perimeter this afternoon looking for missed debris.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Vehicle Troubles Suck
2) Sometimes I wish people would just hire contractors to take of things for them...
3) I am kind of looking forward to the Christmas Season this year.
4) I really need to get a good night's sleep tonight
5) Can it just be Friday today?

1) My old boss left last week
Say What? (JE or VG?) Who is in the corner office now?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I should probably take my car in for new tires.

2) I'm hungry. I ate early because of a workshop, and now I will have to drive home thinking about how hungry I am.

3) What's for dinner? Fish? Chicken? Leftovers?

4) Rest of the week looks pretty good.

5) Still hungry.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I'm not having much success sticking with the workouts at the Y routine
2. Flea & tick medicine for dogs is expensive
3. Bluegrass music is cool
4. I could go for some good quality coffee right now. As it is, the only thing in the office is Maxwell House
5. Been doing quite a bit of baking on the weekends

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Just returned from a college application & finance workshop The Girl's HS puts on for parents of juniors. Head is now spinning.
2. Wondering about a lot of future things for some time now.
3. Local elections are next week - please hurry and be done.
4. Our dog growled at the turkey vulture eating a squished squirrel in the street in front of the house.
5. We had a pumpkin carving party Sunday night resulting in some great jack-o-lanterns.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Major Big HUGE project wrapping up at work with another on deck...
2) My oldest was watching Jeopardy this morning... he is 10.
3) The new ride has a "Sport" setting. It changes the shift points on the Transmission and a few other things.
4) The relationships that I built with private sector folks while I was working for other places in the region has really paid off here.
5) Too many carbs at lunch.... I need a nap.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Not feeling well today. Woke up with a nasty headache and dizzy, so stayed home.

2) Still have the headache, but at least the dizzy stuff has passed.

3) Really cold and wet outside. Yuck.

4) Hoping for wet Halloween because I don't like trick or treaters.

5) Been watching a couple of the new shows this season. Might keep up with them.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) Dating is cold
2) I really want Iowa to beat Wisconsin Saturday, but have my doubts
3) Instead of a city stormwater management plan we are trying to do one for our watershed across jurisdictions. Should be interesting.
4) I never expected to become a soils expert
5) The senior dining people in our building use too much garlic

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Can't wait for the day to be over with this local election
2. Somewhere around 9:00, I'll open a beer and the elections results - I'll either say "crap" or "yippee"
3. Mid-week will be busy, but Friday looks calm (right now)
4. After waiting since June on a request to DOT, I received an email this morning from them asking to meet for further documentation
5. I want ice cream

Planit

Cyburbian
1. A week after the local elections and the dust is still settling.
2. Cold, wet, rainy today. It was much colder at lunch than when I walked into work this morning.
3. I was mistakenly offered a veterans discount at lunch today, which I graciously declined & told them I am not a veteran. They didn't charge me for my drink instead.
4. Glad to see all the Halloween candy is gone, well except for a Reeses PB Cup I'm 'saving'
5. I get 4 to 7 emails every day from Best Buy - that's ridiculous.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Working on the annual update report for the Governor's office. Nothing like a looming deadline to get the creative juices flowing!

2) Haven't been sleeping well. I blame the bad weather: wind and rain.

3) Was gone for 3 days/2 nights last week. Upon my return to the house, the dog gave me an "oh so you're back" look. Little spoiled doggie . . . hubby is so wrapped around her paw.

4) I'm not ready for this cold weather.

5) Coffee sounds good right now . . .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Oddly enough, I got like 7 hours of sleep last night. It was wonderful. If only I could have gotten one more hour of sleep I would be operating at full capacity
2. My belt buckle told me this morning to get back to the gym. I'm on the last belt hole and feel this needs to be a Stalingrad moment. Stop the advance. No new belt!
3. I finished writing the minutes this morning in less than a half hour
4. The brake light on the dash turned on for about 20 seconds this morning and then turned off. Hmmm what can that mean?
5. I decided not to get a cord of firewood this year. It was 13 degrees this morning and I'm already regretting that decision

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Last meeting with existing mayor & council tonight. Next time a couple newbies are sworn at in.
2. Need to start concentrating on the holidays, but some plans are up in the air.
3. I will be receiving a limited edition bourbon barrel aged stout (14%) tomorrow from a friend. I'm going to save that to drink on Christmas.
4. Mr. Blue Sky is today's earworm.
5. 20th wedding anniversary is tomorrow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Wonder how gtpeach is doing with the baby?
2. I heard ELO on a classic rock station at lunch
3. flags by definition are made of fabric or other flexible material
4. Lots of code enforcement cases to close today
5. I've never been scuba diving in Florida

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Just had a meeting about . . . our committee's lack of response to a request for comments. Evidently the issue is not as important as leadership thought. The only comments received were along the lines of "why are we even doing this" and "this is not important to our committee's management plan".

2) Had a good interview last week for an internship. Yeah!

3) Broke a fingernail back into the nail bed. I don't know how I did it, but man - it still hurts!:cry:

4) Nice weather yesterday and today. Wish it would stay . . .

5) Hubby has a rental car for a couple of days. It's nicer than his car! His car is only a couple of months old!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Spoke to beach_bum this morning, they have 10" of fresh snow
2. Drove the truck this morning & dropped it off to get inspected - left my security badge and glasses in the car at home
3. Not really looking forward to T-giving with the in-laws this year
4. If you're going to robo-call me & I have some free time, I'm going to press 1 just to mess with you
5. I won 2 tickets to one of the community theatre performances this spring

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Not as quiet today as I had hoped.

2) Looking forward to a short day tomorrow. Several people will be out, so it should be quiet(er).

3) The people in charge of our AC system are reactive. It's been warm the last few days, so the AC is blasting. We're in more layers inside than outside. Temps drop tonight, so that means they'll turn on the heat Friday (building closed Thursday).

4) Going to see Knives Out this weekend.

5) There will be leftovers. I'm looking forward to not cooking on Friday!

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
1) I am thankful for many things this year, but filling in financial reports is not one of them
2) Is it Wednesday yet?
3) 50 mph winds? Yay.
4) Why is erosion control so tough for some contractors?
5) Only one lawyer has threatened me today so far.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Lunch was disappointing
2. The Girl has been loading up both Mrs. P & I with Christmas suggestions on our different iPads
3. After the possibility of mom being able to make it up for Christmas, that plan has now been put to bed - she's not coming
4. In a year and a half, I'll be paying college tuition
5. Council meeting tonight - Oh what fun!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) It's colder inside the building than outside. I have cold fingers and the tip of my nose is red.

2) Getting out for a meeting soon, so may warm up.

3) Office baby shower for coworker tomorrow. Brought the gift in today to hide it.

4) Feeling a bit let down after the holiday. I could be quite content with not working for the rest of the year.

5) Going to Vegas next week!

kms

Cyburbian
My holiday weekend was so relaxing that I forgot how to type.

Some days, I could live on sesame sticks. I love them.

It’s funny how my regulated community trusts me enough to tell me things about their clients’ wrong doings.

I keep an electric throw blanket at my desk for cold mornings.

It’s been so gloomy here that it feels like late afternoon all day.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Just had a crappy, soggy sandwich for lunch
2. Hadn't been there for a while & won't be going back
3. Good group at our downtown merchants meeting this morning
4. Those weighted blankets intrigue me, but not enough to buy one
5. Grilled steaks last night for dinner during a break in the rain

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Smoked a chicken in my Weber using the snake method on Sunday.
2. Opening up a can of whoop *ss on some local retailers for zoning violations today
3. Wonder how much longer the retail sector is going to contract in the national economy?
4. Retailers: I hate to break it to you but the reason business has been falling off for the past decade is NOT because you don't have enough snipe signs
5. I could go for some summer sausage and smoked gouda on crackers right now

Reactions: kms

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Doctor's appt this morning. BP & Colesteral numbers look great, although I have to cut down on carbs.
2. He said I can eat grilled wings & blue cheese
3. He also said I have to cut down on pasta & beer
4. Day 2 of Council workshops today, followed by a Council meeting.
5. I'm gonna need that beer after the meeting.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Man, I'm tired today. May have something to do with the new allergy meds.

2) Inlaws coming this weekend to see the house. I guess that means I have to deep clean it.

3) Work is not thrilling me right now.

4) Anyone else ready to do a spring clean in the closets? I'm thinking a clothes purge is imminent.

5) I'm worried about things I can not control. I'm also feeling rather pessimistic about things I can not control. Coincidence?

kms

Cyburbian
1. I just had to tell a guy to stop work and dig up culvert pipes because he used the wrong backfill.

2. I had to throw out my sourdough starter. Fortunately, I dried some to see if I could rehydrate it and bring it back to life. It worked.

3. I’m losing passion for my job. Not good.

4. I, I, I. It’s all about me.

5. Someone told me that her mom’s a narcissist. Now I know where SHE got it.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The City Clerk can be very impatient when she wants - today she wanted to be that way
2. Need to go to the mall area after work - ugh!
3. I don't have high hopes, but I think I talked a home builder into building a dog park for his son's Eagle Scout project
4. The Girl got one of those weighted blankets for her b-day and I've "borrowed" it once or twice
5. If the weather patterns holds, we will have only gotten 2 light dustings of snow this winter.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Did round 1 of cleaning up our dept. conference room
2. Will be doing round 2 later (tomorrow, end of week, next month?)
3. Going to hit my office too - so much paper!
4. This weekend, Mrs. P wants to take everything out of the garage & put it back - I chuckled when she told of her plan.
5. I would like to become comfortably numb for a while

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Having a hard time staying focused on work. Just want to sit in the sun and watch life float by.

2) Hubby is a mild introvert. He doesn't like going to the office most days. He's on Week 3 of WFH rotation (only 1 person from team in office per day) and is showing signs of cabin fever. I think he's stressing more than he will admit.

3) Planned summer vacation is a bust.

4) I keep seeing people post about the things they are doing at home since they're not at the office. I'm at home working, so I'm not able to spend my day redoing the flower beds, deep cleaning the garage, or finishing up craft projects. I wish I could get to just my regular Spring Cleaning list, but that ain't happening.

5) Send wine. Or better - liquor. I need something to keep the edge off, because Hubby ain't the only one going stir crazy.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
1. Zoom stock must be bucking the trend
2. Fee Taco Bell taco today for all vehicle occupants
3. Working from home is not bad...once I get started
4. I want to go outside
5. Kids don't like at-home school

Planit

Cyburbian
1. What day is this? I think its Tuesday, but I'm starting to lose track
2. Oh look there's a bird outside the window
3. Week 2 of … wiping the pollen off the dog when he comes in the house
4. I've taken to sitting on the front porch after work, rather than the back deck - I get to see more people that way
5. The city shutdown the parks, so the park next to the house is very quiet now. It had been very busy with schools out before that

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Shock the monkey
2. We ordered online/curbside pickup from the grocery store yesterday. We got exactly half the items we requested.
3. I'm going to adopt a 'just have to get used to it' mindset
4. It's sunny out and I am forced to work at home. I am, however, sitting outside in the backyard at the moment
5. Cornbread and white chicken chili for dinner tonight
6. It's a day of the week that ends in 'y' today!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Installed a new dishwasher last night.
2. Saving money and a sense of accomplishment. Always a good feeling as you drift off to sleep.
3. New bedroom set coming tomorrow. Glad I finished painting on Sunday!
4. I'm still doing surprisingly well with the whole "stay home" thing. I do miss going out to dinner or happy hour at a dock bar though.
5. Was supposed to be in the middle of my 4 Jimmy Buffett shows in 8 days run. I had front row seats for this Thursday :(

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Having difficulties staying focused due to stress.

2) Hubby's at the office today. I like having my "office" door open. When he's home I keep it closed so we don't bother each other with calls.

3) Doing laundry during the week is the new normal. I like keeping the weekends open for anything other than work.

4) My sister overseas was in the hospital for a couple of nights. She fainted, hit her head when she landed and had to be transported by ambulance. I've been very worried.

5) Anyone else ready to blow this joint?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Council meeting by Zoom tonight - public viewing by Youtube
2. So very tired of the present news cycle
3. I'm not shocked anymore at the ignorance & selfishness of people
4. Time to check in on my departmental budget now that something big got cancelled
5. Yes Sal, I'll join ya.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I get to make 3 presentations at tonight's zooming council meeting
2. I screwed up, I ate Taco Bell for lunch yesterday instead of today
3. Today has been calm, which is nice after the crap was stirred up yesterday morning
4. Tomato plant coming along nicely - chili plants doing okay - radishes looking good too
5. The Governor is talking today at 5:00

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I have to host a virtual Board meeting next Monday. Dreading that.
2. The tomato, zucchini, and cabbage seeds I started indoors are doing well and will probably transplant them after the frost advisory passes this weekend.
3. I'm not doing well otherwise psychologically

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a day off yesterday. It was in the 90's and windy, but I still spent several hours outside in a location that was not my usual place. Loved it!

2) Doing Mexican for dinner tonight - including to-go Margaritas!

3) Am feeling a bit of cabin fever, but do not want to be a guinea pig for lessening the restrictions.

4) God, I want a nap!

5) And doughnuts. I've been craving :donut:doughnuts :donut:.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
1) I've been working out a lot more as a way to fight off the cabin fever
2) Been drinking a lot more too, but haven't we all
3) My older sibling has a 2 year old with an infinite supply of energy at home (she also has to work from home), I don't know how she hasn't lost her mind yet.
4) I finally looked back and tallied my spending for groceries last month (pretty much did all online delivery services out of abundance of caution). The bill wasn't pretty...
5)...but I spent almost nothing on gas or anything else really, so it nearly evens out.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I've settled into the Windows Office update - we went from Office 2010 to Office 2019
2. I told the IT guy I'm glad we didn't install Office 2020 because it has a virus. He was not amused.
3. I want to take a nap. It's after lunch and I woke up at 4:30 this morning for some reason
4. Live Korean baseball games are playing on TV at 4:30 am
5. COVID19 Pro Tip - Wash your hands like you're washing Marylin Monroe

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I'm fed up, I admit. I really need to grind up some chill pills and give them to my boss somehow.

2) My last car payment is this week. I will be car payment free for a while!

3) Anyone else stress eating? Even with the extra dog walks, I've gained about 5 pounds since mid-March.

4) I really want some ice cream. However, I don't buy any and try to satisfy that craving with yogurt. So far I haven't robbed an ice cream parlor but it's getting close.

5) I want a nap. Really really badly.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Another 'Zooming' Council Meeting tonight
2. The only item in the agenda is the budget presentation - zzzzzzzzzzzzz
3. We've got a couple projects kicking the tires right now - I'd like 2 of them to hit
4. A coworker asked if I'd like to buy a cheerleader raffle ticket (it is for their annual gift card basket raffle sponsored by the HS cheerleader squad) I told her she might want to rephrase that sales pitch
5. The dog is sad because its raining & he hates the rain

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) The vet gave dog 2 shots today. She zonked for the afternoon but is back to herself this evening. Minus the chewing herself to bits.

2) I have a big virtual meeting tomorrow. I will go to the office for half a day to lead it from there. It just feels more empowering, I guess.

3) Chicken stir fry for dinner. Came out quite tasty. I need to remember the ratio this time because I've made it too spicy before.

4) Stay at home is getting to us. Hubby and I were sniping over nothing important earlier today.

5) I'm partly ready to go back to the office regularly. But my head says stay home.