• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Five Things Tuesday

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Pressure washed the side patio & truck yesterday, both needed it
2. Was going to do the deck too, but I want to paint it too & didn't have time or paint
3. The Girl's best friend had a b-day this weekend & she is vegan. So The Girl researched and baked a vegan cake from scratch for her - it was good
4. Department head mtg started today & a Council budget workshop discussion will end it
5. Friends of ours are having an issue with Ticketmaster not refunding their money for a game date that has already passed. Ticketmaster said the 'event' has not been cancelled yet since there's been no decision on the season...but the date has already passed.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Slept poorly last night, and am ready for a nap.

2) Have an Alumni function tonight right after work. I'll need to change tops and put on some makeup!

3) Crappy weather on the actual holiday day, but overall still had a nice long weekend.

4) Talked with my dad quite a bit this weekend. I wish he was in a better situation, but also know where I get most of my stubbornness from.

5) Grilled steaks last night. Mine was a smidge overcooked, but Hubby's was fine. Served with potatoes and salad. Yum!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Is it Tuesday?

2. I love food.

3. I think I have the type of personality that I will never be satisfied in a job/career.

4. Unless kitten cuddling pays enough.

5. We have a 1000 piece puzzle of cats.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Keto Tacos for dinner tonight.
2) It is going to be hot here this week.
3) Mental fatigue is overwhelming right now. I am thinking about taking a few days off but there is too much stuff going on.
4) I have been in contact with an old friend recently and it has been terrific to hear from them.
5) Neighbor decided to list their house for sale. I am sorry to see them move, but I hope they get the asking amount for their house because it is WAY more than what they paid for it, and they have the same floor plan as I do.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
1) I'm finally heading back to the office next week. With the exception of going back 1 time to grab a few things it will have been 3 months since I've been in the office. It's going to be weird putting on nice work clothes again.
2) Our budget outlook heading into the next fiscal year (as well as 5 year forecast) is very grim, so far we've only been talking about more drastic cuts but we're nearly at the point where a decision needs to be made.
3) I am really worried all of the protests are going to lead to another huge spike in cases. I don't know what happens to our economy if another lock down becomes necessary, or even worse, we can't implement a meaningful lock down because people refuse to stay home.
4) To distract myself from all of this, I've started a few home remodeling project. I already knocked out a wall dividing my living and dining room to create an open floor plan, and found out the previous homeowners buried a fiberglass pool in my backyard (and then threw a bunch of junk in the pile that I am having oh so much fun pulling out).
5) One definite downside to working remotely is the blur between the week and weekend. Normally I get really excited that it's Friday. Now, it's pretty meh.

Planit

Cyburbian
1) I'm finally heading back to the office next week. With the exception of going back 1 time to grab a few things it will have been 3 months since I've been in the office. It's going to be weird putting on nice work clothes again.
2) Our budget outlook heading into the next fiscal year (as well as 5 year forecast) is very grim, so far we've only been talking about more drastic cuts but we're nearly at the point where a decision needs to be made.
3) I am really worried all of the protests are going to lead to another huge spike in cases. I don't know what happens to our economy if another lock down becomes necessary, or even worse, we can't implement a meaningful lock down because people refuse to stay home.
4) To distract myself from all of this, I've started a few home remodeling project. I already knocked out a wall dividing my living and dining room to create an open floor plan, and found out the previous homeowners buried a fiberglass pool in my backyard (and then threw a bunch of junk in the pile that I am having oh so much fun pulling out).
5) One definite downside to working remotely is the blur between the week and weekend. Normally I get really excited that it's Friday. Now, it's pretty meh.

Obviously, today is Friday. Not Tuesday... :ha:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. We were originally scheduled to be leaving for CNU this morning.
2. Cristobal was never going to be a big storm, The Weather Channel didn't even send Jim Cantore out of the studio.
3. Contractor: Why can't I start building? Me: Your engineer dropped the ball and didn't turn in the rezoning application.
4. The Girl made us spaghetti last night for dinner.
5. There was a bear sighting in the park next to our house yesterday. The park's split rail fence is our property line.
1591708712817.png

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm recording an educational slide show from home.
2. I live beside the fire station. Enough said.
3. My office today is my enclosed back porch. It's my favorite room in the house, even if it's only available for about 4 months a year.
4. The Allegheny River valley upstream of Pittsburgh is just beautiful.
5. My daughter is coming home for a visit. I cant wait to see her.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Developer meetings can be a wide range of interactions - some good, others...
2. There been a great breeze all day blowing all day, keeping the temps down
3. I was told by 'someone' that this virus stuff would all disappear once the weather turned hot
4. The Girl still likes her job
5. Hopefully tonight's Planning Commission meeting will be quick and easy

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Contractors were a no show today on the downtown project - there'll be a pissing contest on liquidated damages
2. Haircut today for the first time since March
3. Dropped off a frozen turkey at a local bbq place - they're smoking it for me to have for the weekend ($10!)
4. Mask mandate are showing people's true colors
5. Friday = Holiday day off this week

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Depression still kicking my butt.
2. That is all.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) One week post-contact with a COVID positive person: no symptoms except lack of sleep due to stress.

2) However, it was a really craptastick weekend and I really don't want to redo that one. I canceled all plans even though I am suffering serious cabin fever, and am struggling with the feeling of being defeated by the events of the outside world.

3) Cases are spiking here, so I know even if I get past this hurdle, there are a zillion more opportunities out there. Hubby goes back to work in a couple of weeks.

4) Dog is so clingy she's bothering Hubby. She is really going to be pissed when he goes back to work.

5) I don't know what to do about my raging case of apathy. Or maybe it's numbness. How can you tell the difference these days?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
1) Working a staggered in-office schedule will take some getting used to.
2) I never seem to know what day it is.
3) I'm constantly looking at my calendar to decide if I have to go into the office or not.
4) It's also throwing off my sleep schedule because I'm not good at a consistent bed time yet.
5) What day is it again??!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
3. I think I have the type of personality that I will never be satisfied in a job/career.
I'm supposed to remind you that you're six weeks past due on your annual club membership fees. Also, don't define your yourself in terms of your job/career and you may find that satisfaction lands on your shoulder unexpectedly.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The Tuesday vibe continues
2. Still muggy here with some light rain around, making it more 'muggier'
3. Need to make sure my iPad is fully charged for tonight's meeting (for those slow times)
4. I hate mosquitoes
5. I can't believe Websters now recognizes the word 'irregardless" as a word (spellcheck still doesn't!)

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a great webinar on a Slow Street project, and low attendance. Partly due to the quickness of the event - date chosen/panelists agree on a time took longer than the amount of time from said agreement to event.

2) Boss is about to go on vacation! :D

3) A coworker is back after having a baby.

4) Tired and really want a nap. I have an hour until my next call . . .

5) WFH:mask: continued through the end of this month!!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I have come to realize that one of the hardest things in the world is to really figure out exactly what you want out of life. Even more so is finding the delicate balance between striving for better and being content with what you have. Also trying to understand if expectations are unrealistic without falling into the trap of 'good enough'.
2) Between COVID, Politics, and Protests, I no longer question if we will return to the way things were before, but I do question what aspects of life will be better, and which ones will be worse. I am also curious how the future lives of my children and their friends will be different than my life.
3) Today, I maxed out the capacity of my computer... it was an interesting experience.
4) My middle son loves listening to audio books on our commute to his therapy program. He will be an expert on Ben Franklin before the end of the summer.
5) What are the limits of human potential? I mean if you do all the 'right' stuff for a given period of time, how much different will your life really be? If you eat the right foods, have the right exercise program, get great night's sleep every night, keep stress super low, avoid bad habits and learn beneficial things from books, audios, or videos, will it really be worth the effort? If so, why doesn't everyone do it?