• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Daily things 5️⃣ Five Things Tuesday

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Is it Tuesday already. Gawd, it feels like Monday
2. Parks opened up on Friday and there were lots of people in them this weekend
3. I washed 2 cars last Friday evening, I came inside & The Girl asked me where I'd been swimming
4. Weeds. I hate weeds!
5. My nephew ships out this week for a year-long deployment, but its not where you'd think

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am thinking of joining a new gym. Well, it is one that I belonged to years ago, but it is a 20 minute drive from my house. It is expensive, but they have everything I am looking for in a gym. I would need to work out in the evenings after the kids go do bed because it is the only available time that I would have.
2) Had the windows open as we slept this weekend. It was very nice, but my allergies started acting up.
3) I am back into the Keto swing of things after 3 weeks off.
4) I have a meeting blitz the end of the month for a project. I am excited and I think it will be good for the community.
5) The kids were in a good mood today, however I think they will not be all that excited about dinner tonight. They are super picky eaters.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I believe that I'm destined to be the person who replaces the toilet paper no matter where I go.

2. My broken foot is almost unbroken. I want to ride my bike.

3. I've made some good friends through my bicycle group.

4. This week is off to a bad start and I expect that it will get worse.

5. Between having a broken foot and no place to go due to covid business hours, I've been going to bed as soon as it's dark.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm taking short rides on my bike.
2. I found a piece of Harry and David baklava in the refrigerator. It's not that good.
3. Working alone during covid is starting to get to me.
4. I'm going camping in a couple of weeks.
5. Each of my siblings have a different idea of what kind of person our mother was. I find that pretty interesting.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
5. Each of my siblings have a different idea of what kind of person our mother was. I find that pretty interesting.
I'm almost tempted to do a thread split, but this is a very interesting observation and not that uncommon of a thing. I can't tell you how many times I've heard different individuals in a family describe another immediate family member and coming up with widely differing descriptions. It almost tells more about the person who's making the observation than the person being described. Like its what they looked for, chose, or wanted to see in another person.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Just got off a leadership team call. It was not as contentious as I expected.

2) Rainy day. I want a nap!

3) My aunt in CA says air quality is not getting any better in her area. She has to wear a N95 masks just to be outside with the dog.

4) I need to do laundry but whenever I get up, so does the dog :dog: . I don't want to interrupt her nap - how will she ever get back to sleep?

5) I like fall. Bring on the pumpkin :donut:donuts:donut:! But you can skip the pumpkin spice latte.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Special called Council meeting tonight - oh boy
2. I got a text from a friend saying Mrs. P has butt-dailed her 4 times
3. I'm just surprised Mrs. P has her phone with her
4. The weather is here - I love the cool mornings and pleasant afternoons
5. The Girl wants to do one of the beginner triathlons

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I think my Bermuda Grass is starting to go dormant for the season. I hate the brown lawn in the cooler months. Last year I planted clover and it was awesome, but then it filled in with crabgrass this summer.
2) We received a "I am going to sue you into oblivion" e-mail today. I am disappointed that it was not more creative. I almost want to show up on his door step with a copy and say "really, this is the best that you can do?"
3) I am just absolutely dragging today and I got to bed at a decent time. I fear a lot of it is stress related.
4) One of my neighbors surprised me. We were discussing political signs and he indicated that he is going to vote for a 3rd party candidate. I thought for sure that he was going to vote for Biden.
5) I have nothing on the schedule for tonight... and that is a good thing.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I burned my thumb grilling last night.
2. A car drove into the neighborhood park next to the house yesterday & got stuck (it's wet down there due to all the rain). The Girl had entertainment during lunch as she watched them tow it out.
3. At the end of the dept. head meeting this morn, the CM said to me 'I'll call in a few minutes' - that was almost 4 hours ago.
4. A guy called today wanting his road fixed. He lives outside the city and said if we didn't fix his road, he'd stop paying taxes. Okay by me as far as the city is concerned.
5. Stanley Cup Champions Tampa Bay Lightening!!!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Working on a boring task for an interesting project. At least it's billable work.

2) Weather is weird. Needed a long-sleeved shirt for the morning dog walk, but by lunch needed short sleeves and sandals.

3) I want a nap.

4) I have no sympathy for idiots. Problem is, there's just so many of them.

5) October 1 this week. Is it too early to put out Halloween decorations? :alien::troll::wizard:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The attitude of some people around this area still confuse & concern me.
2. I need to make my dental appointment.
3. This past weekend's EPL games were very different from what was expected.
4. One of the last things I did at the previous job was design a park. I happen to see it completed for the first time last weekend & it turned out pretty good (even with the tweaks they did to the design).
5. It's been a busy phone day so far.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. This week has more anxiety than is right
2. I did not get to eat watermelon at all this summer.
3. I did, however, get some steaks once.
4. Why oh why can't the election be held tomorrow. Enough already!
5. Went all in on putting up Halloween décor inside this year

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) School Board meets tomorrow to determine the future of the school year. There has already been enough indication that they will allow for a transition from fully virtual to a hybrid system of full virtual for those who wish to remain at home and a rotation into the school for everyone else. Sounds like it might be a 1 week at school 2 at home, or possibly a daily rotation (one day in, 4 at home, no one in building on Wed to allow for cleaning). The only reason they are not opening the doors for full time is there are teachers who refuse to teach in-person classes until after the pandemic because of health conditions, and there are not enough teachers for everyone to be there. I am not looking forward to the meeting. I just hope there is a special needs exemption that allow for special needs students to be in-class full time.

2) I am getting back into a meditation program that is a combination of multiple elements. Out of all of them, I like the Wim Hof breathing the best as it does more than just clear my head. I am also doing headspace meditation while I am in the sauna at the gym which I found to be extremely challenging as the heat keeps creeping in as the focus.

3) The NHL draft starts tonight. I still think that the Wings got robbed. On the other hand, their last #4 pick was this young kid named Steve Yzerman, so who knows.

4) I am thinking of upgrading my coffee maker. I currently have a Keurig that is about 8 years old and I have been thinking about a Nespresso or something similar. I am looking for something that brews very high quality coffee.

5) I bought a 6 back of Sparten Oktoberfest Beer from Germany. I was a bit surprised at how thin it was.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I have received some negative pushback from communities that were sent some info on a voluntary program. It's voluntary, and it's an FYI. Why the attitude?

2) I am done for the day mentally. Too bad I have two more meetings.

3) Boss going on vacation tomorrow! :cheers:

4) Really loving the weather during the mid-morning dog :dog: walk. I try to get our old girl to go a little farther just so I can enjoy it. But she is a stubborn old girl and wants to go home when she says so!

5) I love fall.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mom is coming for a week long visit Friday. Mrs. P has been vigorously cleaning the house.
2. I was actually looking forward to an on-site meeting this morning but it was cancelled about an hour beforehand.
3. I do have a meeting @ 7:00pm that I don't want to go to. Unfortunately it won't be cancelled.
4. With all this rain, I have/need to cut the grass. Maybe tomorrow evening (based on #3).
5. When I get home from work, the dog waits for me at the bedroom door to change clothes and then he follows me around the house until we go for a walk.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Signs you are getting old: a wonky toe.
2. Have a new credential to add to my name: CPR instructor.
3. Kittens will soon be going to their forever home.
4. Toe still hurts.
5. Itty Bitty is so big!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Was able to go to the beach yesterday. Still really humid here but it was nice.
2. Hilton Head has way more occupied rooms compared to same time last year. Virtual school and work from home has allowed people to travel during more parts of the year.
3. Swept our softball doubleheader last night. Not bad for a bunch of old guys playing much younger dudes.
4. The new dog is still perfect. She loves the dog park and running and chasing others. Until it gets too rough. Then she just sits down.
5. Guess I'll do my part and bust out the pink flamingo tie for Thursday night's council meeting.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My therapist and I are not seeing eye to eye on a couple things.
2) Had a bio-screening a couple weeks ago and they were concerned that I have pre-diabetes... so I bought a monitor and my tests have been coming back a little higher despite doing all the right things... guess what... stress can cause high glucose readings. We won't even talk about my blood-pressure.
3) I was going to go the gym after work, but situations at home have sidelined that.
4) I had a developer just tell me that he wants to do mass graded, slab on grade, vinyl clad, 50-foot, front loaded residential development because it returns the most profit. I appreciated his honesty and explained that while at one point he could do that, the regulations no longer permit it.
5) I think I am going to spend some time this weekend cleaning out the garage. It is almost impossible to walk through there at the moment and really needs to be organized.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a big committee meeting this morning that went well. Only had to punt on one item, and it wasn't really a punt. The question was posed to staff, but staff does not have any say/input in the item - per the bylaws, it's all on the committee. So I guess it was a lateral pass to the Chair since he responded after I verbally sent it his way.

2) Have 2 meetings next month that I don't want to deal with.

3) Mowers just left. At least they came after my meeting!

4) Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner! And then tomorrow I'll have the same thing for lunch.

5) Vacation late next week!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1) We just completely emptied our savings buying a furnace/AC. The old one was 24 years old. It had to be done. Especially given current health conditions and Mrs. Maister being high risk. But what is money for otherwise?
2) Not looking forward to Christmas quite as much as I was
3) Everyone is (more or less) currently healthy in the family.
4) Flu shot on Friday
5) This week sucks

Planit

Cyburbian
Taking an extra long lunch today & t'mrrw -1
Odd for a Tuesday, but I'm grilling steaks tonight - 2
Oh the games NCDOT plays - 3
I've talked to 4 people in 3 states trying to get to the right contact with NSRR - 4
Just found out The Girl's soccer match is 2.5 hours away this Saturday morning...grrr! - 5

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The English language needs a word for people that are incapable of recognizing irony, humor or ironic humor when they see or hear it
2. I long for the day when I can just casually stroll into a bar or restaurant without a care in the world.
3. The list of famous people I've never met includes: Buzz Aldrin, Sacha Baron Cohen, Newt Gingrich, and Juice Newton
4. I want to bake some kind of special bread this coming weekend
5. I read the book 'Stuart Little' when I was a kid

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. The English language needs a word for people that are incapable of recognizing irony, humor or ironic humor when they see or hear it
2. I long for the day when I can just casually stroll into a bar or restaurant without a care in the world.
3. The list of famous people I've never met includes: Buzz Aldrin, Sacha Baron Cohen, Newt Gingrich, and Juice Newton
4. I want to bake some kind of special bread this coming weekend
5. I read the book 'Stuart Little' when I was a kid
1. Dullard.
2. Agreed.
3. Same.
4. Cheese bread.
5. It was one of my favorites. Itty Bitty hates it.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Got my flu shot over the weekend.:mask:

2) Voted over the weekend. :tx:

3) Going on vacation this week! Long weekend here I come!

4) Raided my mom's stash closet for crafty supplies. I'm going to start a new craft hobby. My old one isn't bringing me joy right now.

5) Hubby got bit about 20 times by fire ants while playing golf this weekend. Not Fun!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Get to hold 3 public hearings tonight - yippee
2. One more week of getting 15 political mailers, 3 texts & 2 phone calls every day
3. Such a boring webinar this morning
4. There ain't a lot worth watching on tv @ 4:00 am
5. After 11 years, this is The Girl's last season of club (travel) soccer

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Time to restock the fridge & freezer after losing everything. Essentials (like ice cream) were picked up yesterday.
2. At least the weather here should be nice all week.
3. Heat on this morning, probably need the fan this afternoon.
4. Did you know that Britain is responsible for "Independence Day" in 63 different countries.
5. GO VOTE! (if you haven't already)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I scored TWO AND A HALF CASES of Shiner Holiday Cheer the other day. That should be enough to get me through to Christmas
2. Got a Portal so we can do Thanksgiving with the in-laws
3. I made Salisbury steak for dinner last night. Used to have it frequently in the 70's then everyone stopped making it.
4. I never ever got into Dick Tracy comics
5. I truly hope our long national (political) nightmare ends the next few days or so.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. There's a chance tonight's Council meeting will go off rails due to a citizen wanting to speak
2. Sleepy me today
3. The family is cleaning out the house around the corner from us & the entire curbline is cluttered
4. Oh look! More tropical storms forming - Theta makes it a record year
5. It's gonna be wet for the next few days

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Time passes oddly - can't say either faster or slower, just oddly - when working from home
2. How long are screen protectors on phones supposed to last?
3. My dog is super cool. She's so smart and so sweet
4. We're having a bit of difficulty obtaining some of the usual Thanksgiving items from the grocery. Theyre out of several items
5. Calgon take me away!

kms

Cyburbian
1. I opened the closet to get the coat I wear for inspections, and it's not there. I cant find it anywhere.

2. I wore it when I took a walk one evening in April, after dusk and after curfew.

3. How does a person lose a coat between April and November?

4. I love that coat. I always said that I'd have to move to NC when it wore out. Now how do I decide? Do I stay or do I go?

5. If it was anyone else's missing coat, I'd sniff it out. But this is my coat, and we all know it was laundered and clean smelling.

Planit

Cyburbian
1 On a zoom department head meeting right now
2 Need to pick up a couple birthday cards this afternoon
3 I tried to be nice and let a car go ahead of me, that was a mistake because they were sllloooooowwwwwww
4 I had to show The Girl how to change the time in her car - she hadn't changed it since the time change
5 Is it beer:30 yet?

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm on travel quarantine.
2. I need milk.
3. It's snowing here and there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground.
4. It's a good day for a grilled cheese sandwich. I had gruyere on home made bread.
5. I slept until my alarm went off this morning. It's a rare blessing.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Been working on some back-office type tasks today, and had one meeting on an upcoming project. Productive but not inspiring.

2) Webinar over lunch - should probably get my sandwich ready.

3) Dog has been off schedule the past couple of days. I worry age is the culprit.

4) December is here! I need to get the Christmas t-Shirts out of the closet.

5) Ready for a break, and we just had a long weekend!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. First relocating stress-induced fight. ☑️
2. Holy schmoly there are a lot of balls in the air.
3. Our big ol' hound dog insists he is a lap dog.
4. One of my old kitties is deaf. So he walks around the house yelling when he can't find me.
5. I am going to miss my squirrels.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I think there are some people trying to over direct several things here. It's starting to show now.
2. Helping The Girl figure out careers based on her decided major.
3. Even if he's just been for a walk not 15 minutes ago, if our dog sees us putting on shoes, he thinks he's going for a walk.
4. I don't have any really big 'wants' for my Christmas list, but I keep getting asked.
5. There is an overabundance of acorns in the yard this year.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
1. Mailed Christmas gifts to Family. - already received.
2. Ordered Harry & David Pears for family.
3. The Man has left for the day.
4. Had lunch - Chicken Salad, Roast Brussel Sprouts, cubed fruit, & pumpkin bread.
5. Work perk - pass to the Columbia Sports employee store.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Lots of stress at Chez Maister
2. I didn't particularly enjoy reading Moby Dick. So what if it's a classic
3. I could go for a blt minus the t. I might even be willing to forgo the L and maybe even the bread if it came to it
4. Solutions will find me.
5. I cant remember the last time I saw a woodchuck

Bubba

Cyburbian
1. I'm supremely unmotivated at work this morning.
2. Chilly day here, but at least it's sunny.
3. I have yet to purchase a single Christmas gift...
4. ...neither had Mrs. Bubba until this morning.
5. Can the Georgia senate runoffs be over already?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Watching a webinar all morning
2. Static has arrived due to the cold mornings, pant legs are clinging tight
3. Haven't seen a woodchuck lately, but I have seen multiple groundhogs
4. Lit the pilot light on the gas logs this weekend
5. Grilled sliders last night & cauliflower tots - they were well received

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Sometimes I get a little freaked out that I'm involved in deals that are in the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars.
2. Then I realize that in reality I'm a very small part of it and that a deal won't live or die based solely on me. Whew!
3. Have found a floorplan I'm generally very happy with. But trying to decide on a house color and some things like that is stressful.
4. After taking about 7 weeks off my knee finally feels good enough to get back on the pickleball court this weekend.
5. Amazingly I've lost almost 20 pounds during my reduced activity time. Your diet really does matter!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. I love woodchucks and groundhogs! Our guys are hibernating, or close to it, I believe.

2. We have a squirrel names Stubby that visits our yard.

3. Stubby had BABIES!! <SQUEEEEE!> this year.

4. It feels nice to donate stuff but it is a bit of a gut punch to see 💸💸💸

5. Itty Bitty thought the giant orange St. Nicholas brought was a bouncy ball. 🤨

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Chilly evenings and mornings, but lovely afternoons here.

2) I think I'm done Christmas gift shopping! But I haven't started on food for dinner that day.

3) The ringing in my ears has lessened. Still not gone but progress!

4) The dog has been acting weird. She's not the brightest bulb, but she usually doesn't have these issues.

5) Went to the dentist yesterday. No cavities, etc but the new tech had some issues taking the bite-wing x-rays. Not fun but could have been way worse.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I made Taiwanese Braised Beef for dinner last night and for lunch today.
2. I also made the beef stock from soup bones.
3. I like cooking in the wok.
4. The weather app has plans for a big snowfall tomorrow. It sent me two loud alarms about it at 3 AM.
5. One negative of working at home is not being able to take an occasional snow day.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Another day working from home. I didn't think I'd have this much anxiety about it.

2) Two family members have surgery planned this week. I will be a nervous wreck the rest of the week, cause I'm a worrier.

3) Hubby is getting snippy lately. Don't know if it's WFH blues, cold weather blahs, or something else work-related.

4) I took yesterday off, so today is like a Monday. Bah humbug.

5) We got new web cameras. Now I need to install mine.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. This morning's department head meeting was so long it all but killed my iPad battery (12% left from 100%)
2. I can't get the family to sit down long enough together to get a Christmas photo
3. Sleet & freezing rain predicted here in the morning
4. Some people think you can snap your fingers and recruit a new business to locate
5. The railroad company doesn't like to return calls

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Christmas Prep Edition

1. Family photo scheduled for Thursday.
2. Winter storm scheduled for Wednesday.
3. No idea what we will be wearing for photos. Parkas perhaps?
4. 2 kinds of Christmas treats made and enjoyed. 1 remaining.
5. Gotta start wrapping presents.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. All of a sudden I realized Christmas is next week. It seemed further away somehow . . .
2. @Planit, yep the railroads are the WORST at getting back to you.
3. Got my dog one of those elevated food and water stations. She was scared of it for about 18 hours. In the end hunger and thirst won out.
4. I highly recommend Rao's marinara sauce if you don't have time to make your own and you want some that isn't loaded with sugar.
5. I'm fine going to the store during COVID. I wear my mask, other's have theirs on and I get in and get out.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Attaboys are underrated
2. I'm looking forward to Christmas
3. I don't own any swizzle sticks
4. I don't have a dry bar either
5. I don't think I've had Chinese take out in probably 20 years.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. & this week, hump day is today
2. I'm so thankful The Girl never got into Barney (she only watched it a couple times at her cousin's house)
3. Most of you know the last song I heard on the radio on the way to work
4. There's a lot of nuts in the house - not human, but actual nuts we've received as gifts
5. Did everyone get to see the 'convergence' yesterday? It was cool.