• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Five Things Tuesday

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Is it Tuesday already. Gawd, it feels like Monday
2. Parks opened up on Friday and there were lots of people in them this weekend
3. I washed 2 cars last Friday evening, I came inside & The Girl asked me where I'd been swimming
4. Weeds. I hate weeds!
5. My nephew ships out this week for a year-long deployment, but its not where you'd think

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am thinking of joining a new gym. Well, it is one that I belonged to years ago, but it is a 20 minute drive from my house. It is expensive, but they have everything I am looking for in a gym. I would need to work out in the evenings after the kids go do bed because it is the only available time that I would have.
2) Had the windows open as we slept this weekend. It was very nice, but my allergies started acting up.
3) I am back into the Keto swing of things after 3 weeks off.
4) I have a meeting blitz the end of the month for a project. I am excited and I think it will be good for the community.
5) The kids were in a good mood today, however I think they will not be all that excited about dinner tonight. They are super picky eaters.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I believe that I'm destined to be the person who replaces the toilet paper no matter where I go.

2. My broken foot is almost unbroken. I want to ride my bike.

3. I've made some good friends through my bicycle group.

4. This week is off to a bad start and I expect that it will get worse.

5. Between having a broken foot and no place to go due to covid business hours, I've been going to bed as soon as it's dark.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm taking short rides on my bike.
2. I found a piece of Harry and David baklava in the refrigerator. It's not that good.
3. Working alone during covid is starting to get to me.
4. I'm going camping in a couple of weeks.
5. Each of my siblings have a different idea of what kind of person our mother was. I find that pretty interesting.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
5. Each of my siblings have a different idea of what kind of person our mother was. I find that pretty interesting.
I'm almost tempted to do a thread split, but this is a very interesting observation and not that uncommon of a thing. I can't tell you how many times I've heard different individuals in a family describe another immediate family member and coming up with widely differing descriptions. It almost tells more about the person who's making the observation than the person being described. Like its what they looked for, chose, or wanted to see in another person.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Just got off a leadership team call. It was not as contentious as I expected.

2) Rainy day. I want a nap!

3) My aunt in CA says air quality is not getting any better in her area. She has to wear a N95 masks just to be outside with the dog.

4) I need to do laundry but whenever I get up, so does the dog :dog: . I don't want to interrupt her nap - how will she ever get back to sleep?

5) I like fall. Bring on the pumpkin :donut:donuts:donut:! But you can skip the pumpkin spice latte.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Special called Council meeting tonight - oh boy
2. I got a text from a friend saying Mrs. P has butt-dailed her 4 times
3. I'm just surprised Mrs. P has her phone with her
4. The weather is here - I love the cool mornings and pleasant afternoons
5. The Girl wants to do one of the beginner triathlons

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I think my Bermuda Grass is starting to go dormant for the season. I hate the brown lawn in the cooler months. Last year I planted clover and it was awesome, but then it filled in with crabgrass this summer.
2) We received a "I am going to sue you into oblivion" e-mail today. I am disappointed that it was not more creative. I almost want to show up on his door step with a copy and say "really, this is the best that you can do?"
3) I am just absolutely dragging today and I got to bed at a decent time. I fear a lot of it is stress related.
4) One of my neighbors surprised me. We were discussing political signs and he indicated that he is going to vote for a 3rd party candidate. I thought for sure that he was going to vote for Biden.
5) I have nothing on the schedule for tonight... and that is a good thing.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I burned my thumb grilling last night.
2. A car drove into the neighborhood park next to the house yesterday & got stuck (it's wet down there due to all the rain). The Girl had entertainment during lunch as she watched them tow it out.
3. At the end of the dept. head meeting this morn, the CM said to me 'I'll call in a few minutes' - that was almost 4 hours ago.
4. A guy called today wanting his road fixed. He lives outside the city and said if we didn't fix his road, he'd stop paying taxes. Okay by me as far as the city is concerned.
5. Stanley Cup Champions Tampa Bay Lightening!!!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Working on a boring task for an interesting project. At least it's billable work.

2) Weather is weird. Needed a long-sleeved shirt for the morning dog walk, but by lunch needed short sleeves and sandals.

3) I want a nap.

4) I have no sympathy for idiots. Problem is, there's just so many of them.

5) October 1 this week. Is it too early to put out Halloween decorations? :alien::troll::wizard:

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The attitude of some people around this area still confuse & concern me.
2. I need to make my dental appointment.
3. This past weekend's EPL games were very different from what was expected.
4. One of the last things I did at the previous job was design a park. I happen to see it completed for the first time last weekend & it turned out pretty good (even with the tweaks they did to the design).
5. It's been a busy phone day so far.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. This week has more anxiety than is right
2. I did not get to eat watermelon at all this summer.
3. I did, however, get some steaks once.
4. Why oh why can't the election be held tomorrow. Enough already!
5. Went all in on putting up Halloween décor inside this year

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) School Board meets tomorrow to determine the future of the school year. There has already been enough indication that they will allow for a transition from fully virtual to a hybrid system of full virtual for those who wish to remain at home and a rotation into the school for everyone else. Sounds like it might be a 1 week at school 2 at home, or possibly a daily rotation (one day in, 4 at home, no one in building on Wed to allow for cleaning). The only reason they are not opening the doors for full time is there are teachers who refuse to teach in-person classes until after the pandemic because of health conditions, and there are not enough teachers for everyone to be there. I am not looking forward to the meeting. I just hope there is a special needs exemption that allow for special needs students to be in-class full time.

2) I am getting back into a meditation program that is a combination of multiple elements. Out of all of them, I like the Wim Hof breathing the best as it does more than just clear my head. I am also doing headspace meditation while I am in the sauna at the gym which I found to be extremely challenging as the heat keeps creeping in as the focus.

3) The NHL draft starts tonight. I still think that the Wings got robbed. On the other hand, their last #4 pick was this young kid named Steve Yzerman, so who knows.

4) I am thinking of upgrading my coffee maker. I currently have a Keurig that is about 8 years old and I have been thinking about a Nespresso or something similar. I am looking for something that brews very high quality coffee.

5) I bought a 6 back of Sparten Oktoberfest Beer from Germany. I was a bit surprised at how thin it was.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I have received some negative pushback from communities that were sent some info on a voluntary program. It's voluntary, and it's an FYI. Why the attitude?

2) I am done for the day mentally. Too bad I have two more meetings.

3) Boss going on vacation tomorrow! :cheers:

4) Really loving the weather during the mid-morning dog :dog: walk. I try to get our old girl to go a little farther just so I can enjoy it. But she is a stubborn old girl and wants to go home when she says so!

5) I love fall.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mom is coming for a week long visit Friday. Mrs. P has been vigorously cleaning the house.
2. I was actually looking forward to an on-site meeting this morning but it was cancelled about an hour beforehand.
3. I do have a meeting @ 7:00pm that I don't want to go to. Unfortunately it won't be cancelled.
4. With all this rain, I have/need to cut the grass. Maybe tomorrow evening (based on #3).
5. When I get home from work, the dog waits for me at the bedroom door to change clothes and then he follows me around the house until we go for a walk.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Signs you are getting old: a wonky toe.
2. Have a new credential to add to my name: CPR instructor.
3. Kittens will soon be going to their forever home.
4. Toe still hurts.
5. Itty Bitty is so big!

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Was able to go to the beach yesterday. Still really humid here but it was nice.
2. Hilton Head has way more occupied rooms compared to same time last year. Virtual school and work from home has allowed people to travel during more parts of the year.
3. Swept our softball doubleheader last night. Not bad for a bunch of old guys playing much younger dudes.
4. The new dog is still perfect. She loves the dog park and running and chasing others. Until it gets too rough. Then she just sits down.
5. Guess I'll do my part and bust out the pink flamingo tie for Thursday night's council meeting.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) My therapist and I are not seeing eye to eye on a couple things.
2) Had a bio-screening a couple weeks ago and they were concerned that I have pre-diabetes... so I bought a monitor and my tests have been coming back a little higher despite doing all the right things... guess what... stress can cause high glucose readings. We won't even talk about my blood-pressure.
3) I was going to go the gym after work, but situations at home have sidelined that.
4) I had a developer just tell me that he wants to do mass graded, slab on grade, vinyl clad, 50-foot, front loaded residential development because it returns the most profit. I appreciated his honesty and explained that while at one point he could do that, the regulations no longer permit it.
5) I think I am going to spend some time this weekend cleaning out the garage. It is almost impossible to walk through there at the moment and really needs to be organized.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a big committee meeting this morning that went well. Only had to punt on one item, and it wasn't really a punt. The question was posed to staff, but staff does not have any say/input in the item - per the bylaws, it's all on the committee. So I guess it was a lateral pass to the Chair since he responded after I verbally sent it his way.

2) Have 2 meetings next month that I don't want to deal with.

3) Mowers just left. At least they came after my meeting!

4) Spaghetti and meatballs for dinner! And then tomorrow I'll have the same thing for lunch.

5) Vacation late next week!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1) We just completely emptied our savings buying a furnace/AC. The old one was 24 years old. It had to be done. Especially given current health conditions and Mrs. Maister being high risk. But what is money for otherwise?
2) Not looking forward to Christmas quite as much as I was
3) Everyone is (more or less) currently healthy in the family.
4) Flu shot on Friday
5) This week sucks

Planit

Cyburbian
Taking an extra long lunch today & t'mrrw -1
Odd for a Tuesday, but I'm grilling steaks tonight - 2
Oh the games NCDOT plays - 3
I've talked to 4 people in 3 states trying to get to the right contact with NSRR - 4
Just found out The Girl's soccer match is 2.5 hours away this Saturday morning...grrr! - 5

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The English language needs a word for people that are incapable of recognizing irony, humor or ironic humor when they see or hear it
2. I long for the day when I can just casually stroll into a bar or restaurant without a care in the world.
3. The list of famous people I've never met includes: Buzz Aldrin, Sacha Baron Cohen, Newt Gingrich, and Juice Newton
4. I want to bake some kind of special bread this coming weekend
5. I read the book 'Stuart Little' when I was a kid

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. The English language needs a word for people that are incapable of recognizing irony, humor or ironic humor when they see or hear it
2. I long for the day when I can just casually stroll into a bar or restaurant without a care in the world.
3. The list of famous people I've never met includes: Buzz Aldrin, Sacha Baron Cohen, Newt Gingrich, and Juice Newton
4. I want to bake some kind of special bread this coming weekend
5. I read the book 'Stuart Little' when I was a kid
1. Dullard.
2. Agreed.
3. Same.
4. Cheese bread.
5. It was one of my favorites. Itty Bitty hates it.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Got my flu shot over the weekend.:mask:

2) Voted over the weekend. :texas:

3) Going on vacation this week! Long weekend here I come!

4) Raided my mom's stash closet for crafty supplies. I'm going to start a new craft hobby. My old one isn't bringing me joy right now.

5) Hubby got bit about 20 times by fire ants while playing golf this weekend. Not Fun!