• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Daily things 5️⃣ Five Things Tuesday

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Last day of work for the week!

2) IT pushed out an update over the weekend. Now I can't get into the HR system to finish my evaluation. So am I late, or is IT late because they haven't resolved the problem?

3) Family was supposed to do mostly donations/community assistance for the holidays this year, instead of gifts. I think my mom forgot or simply ignored it. I transported a trunkload of wrapped presents home, but all I left at her place were cards from the different groups saying "a donation has been made in your name". Felt weird.

4) Two neighbors are having work done this week. It's noisy on our block because sawing, concrete cutters, and various other loud devices are being used in front of the homes. Don't they know some of us still have to work??

5) I am so glad it's a short week. I'm stressed. And the holidays are only a part of the problem.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Had a low-key Christmas lunch here yesterday. It was nice and we were able to do some Christmas trivia on our phones and projecting on the screen through Kahoot! A lot of fun.
2. Tradesmen at your neighbors houses also have to work. Just saying.
3. I don't particularly care for the "cool" LED lights most of the time in Christmas decorations. I like the "warm" light better.
4. I'm in the minority but I still think the USPS is one of the better values in this country.
5. I've had to get involved with a situation with a resident who thinks we need to respond immediately to every complaint. This is the same person who collected trash that allegedly came from a construction site and left it on the porch of a city employee who lived in the neighborhood!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Today feels like a continuation of Monday
2. Frustration fuels another day
3. The dog tried to get out yesterday and ended up bending some chain link fencing & its not the first time
4. Wildlife seen in the park this weekend included a pair of red-tailed hawks & a fox
5. At least the SEC won!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. We are down to a 1-car household.
2. Meeting with the realtor tomorrow.
3. The house is a mess.
4. I am a judgmental person. 🥺
5. Doggy and I went for a walk/zoom today at the park.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. We are effectively down to a 1-car household
2. Not meeting with any realtors tomorrow if I can possibly avoid it
3. The house is a mess. The house is ALWAYS a mess.
4. In my judgement, judgmental people are bad.
5. Doggy and I went for a walk/tugfest yesterday through the neighborhood.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. We are effectively down to a 1-car household
2. Not meeting with any realtors tomorrow if I can possibly avoid it
3. The house is a mess. The house is ALWAYS a mess.
4. In my judgement, judgmental people are bad.
5. Doggy and I went for a walk/tugfest yesterday through the neighborhood.
Wisenheimer! Is that German?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) My day started with a 3-hour meeting.

2) While the sun was out, I was at my computer for another meeting.

3) This week has A LOT of meetings.

4) Watched a Zoom event on Vincent Van Gogh over the weekend. Included pictures in and from the museum in Amsterdam, which reminded me of our visit there 12 years ago.

5) With all the money I'm saving on gas, tolls, clothes, lunches, and other going-to-the-office-to-work expenses, I may be able to swing business class for my next BIG adventure!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Mom is having back surgery this afternoon
2. My positive work attitude is not faring too well right now
3. I baked salmon with parsley parmesan garlic coating for dinner last night & it was d@mn good
4. No snow here, just overcast and damp
5. Trevor Noah called Marjorie Taylor Greene "Osama bin Karen" - hehehe

Planit

Cyburbian
1. this past week, mom has gone from hospital to rehab to hospital to rehab, glad my brother is with her
2. doing 2 jobs for the time being and the emails are non-stop
3. I'm the only one in our family that likes hotdogs, well the dog likes them too
4. I don't want to own one, but I'd like to drive the new Ford Mach-E for kicks
5. The Girl has decided on a university, now my wallet needs to accept that

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Traveling north tomorrow for a few days. Not really excited about the snow but I haven't seen any for over 2 years.
2. Budget season is upon us. Thankfully revenues continue to be very strong.
3. Getting council to understand that sometimes we have to spend money on things that aren't flashy but are necessary is not always easy.
4. I've got the new car bug (or new to me at least) but it would not be a sound decision right now. Must . . . . resist . . . .
5. Reviewing RFPs for auditing services. Talk about dry. :grimace:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Budget season started in November and ends in June-ish. But it is crunch time for me right now as there is a bunch of stuff that I want to include, some things that I need, and getting them ready for some BIG changes in 2 to 3 years.
2) I needed some additional dress shirts and finally found the ones I wanted online. I wasn't able to find the exact size I had, but they had them with slightly longer sleeves, which is a good thing because the shirts that I have, I always feel that the sleeves were too short. I also need some additional dress pants, but I think I will go in person for those.
3) I just realized that it is not only valentines day on Sunday, but it is also the time change. Wife is persistent that she does not want anything for valentines day and does not like valentines day.
4) I love numbers and tracking things. Some of the numbers that I am tracking right now in relation to development activity in my city scare the crap out of me. We a bunch of neighborhoods that are currently under construction and of those, we are less than 25% built out right now. When you include the rest of the homes in the City that are not part of these active construction neighborhoods, we are only 40% built out.
5) Every day I am discovering that I work with some phenomenally talented people. The volume of work, the complexity of the reviews, and the introduction of new things that are presented to improve efficiency and customer service are amazing and beyond the imagination of where we were only a couple of years ago. We are doing awesome things at my job and I am thrilled with where we are going.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I hate long meetings. I had a 3-hour one yesterday, and another long one this morning.

2) It's literally freezing here for the rest of the week. Brrr.

3) I can't find something that I purposely set aside for later. Later is now, and I want it!

4) Last month and the first 2 months of this year have sucked medically. It seems like there's just a merry-go-round of issues and major problems for my family, and it is stressing me out!

5) I want a nap.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Council tonight
2. Council workshop tomorrow & Thurs
3. The Girl's 18th birthday is tomorrow
4. We'll probably have dinner & cake tomorrow about 10:00 pm
5. Things. So many things going on

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Damn it's cold (for :tx:!).

2) Half my department is either out of power or lacks internet. Or both.

3) More snow coming tonight! :snowflake:

4) I am ready for my scheduled day off. Friday was supposed to be a run-away-from-the-office kind of day. Now I think I'll be home under a blanket reading rather than getting out.

5) If we lose power, I'll just take the things out of my freezer and put them on the porch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I am making jambalaya for dinner tonight
2) I have an order on amazon that arrived on Saturday, but only half of it was in the package. So I requested a replacement. It arrived at the distribution site in the next community over on Sunday. Then it was shipped to a distribution site on the other side of the state on Monday... and it says it is still there as of Today. Maybe it is a sign to order something else.
3) I can not get over the price and availability of ammunition right now. I just finished a project and I am excited to test it out, but I can't find anywhere local that has it in stock and it more than a dollar a round if I order it online.
4) I just saw that it is 70 right now in one of the coastal communities.
5) Are people seeing reduced prices for virtual conferences or trainings? I have one that I was looking to register for and they wanted to charge the same price as if it was a live in-person conference at a conference center. That was a big NO for me.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
We use our three season porch most years as a walk in refrigerator and/or freezer during the winter
Holy Wah, Old Yooper Trick.

If Ya don't have a cooler, just stick da beers in a snow bank in da winter. In da summer, put de beers in the bait bucket and toss it in da stream. Dat-al keep da beers cold ya' know! Yah Eh!

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Is it Tuesday? Must be since we are having a Planning Board meeting
2. Went to the big city this past weekend and found some really good beer
3. Mom sounds somewhat better after a week in rehab, but its going to be a long road
4. Saw that Tiger Woods wrecked another car this morning in Cali
5. Anybody wanna go to Cancun?

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Lots of meetings this week, about half of them rescheduled from last week due to Uri.

2) Not feeling the love today.

3) I didn't take my day off last week, because I didn't have anywhere to go. I will reschedule.

4) I really want a nap, but I have two more work meetings, then an alumni thing tonight. Hey - at least I don't have to cook dinner!

5) It's only Tuesday? I wish we could fast forward to Friday.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Waiting for a job offer/denial is torture!
2. Should be cleaning but surprise surprise, there is a cat in my lap.
3. Itty Bitty is having a hard time with the move. 🥺
4. I should nhave just held an open house and let my friend take anything they liked instead of trying to declutter on my own.
5. I think our current 3 pets will be the last for a long time.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. CM wants to open City Hall to the public on April 1st and asked why that wouldn't work. Four different dept. heads gave him very good reasons.
2. It's March Madness time!
3. Took an long stroll around downtown at lunch just to enjoy the sun.
4. Saw 4 deer in the yard last night, they usually stay in the park & don't come in the yard.
5. Email is down & for now that's fine. When it comes back up, there will be much replying and deleting.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Sun is shining! Yay!
2. 1st round of poop patrol done. Yuck.
3. I need to purchase our airline tickets. Eep.
4. Have job interview on Thursday. Gulp.
5. Itty Bitty is not handling well the selling of our house. Wah.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. I love my job & boss - I love my job & boss - I love my job & boss
2. It's gonna be another long week it seems
3. Got to eat dinner with another couple last night outside on a patio with heaters - all but one has had 1st vaccine. We're feeling brave
4. Hoping all the grass seed I put down in the front yard will come up
5. Oh look, it's lunchtime!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had my first :virus:vaccine shot:mask:, and am finally over the reactions.

2) Spring Break, Baby! Means lots of kids on my street during the day, making noise and being stupid.

3) Mom's second chemo is this week.

4) I :heart:love:heart: my Imperfect Food deliveries!

5) Must be springtime - high humidity and nice temperatures.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) I had a really intense workout on Sunday (90 minutes of heavy supersets and burned 1000 calories). This morning sucked and I could hardly move... so I had to change up the cardio to do 5 sets of 2 minutes walking and 3 minutes running at 75% of max speed. I predict I will not be able to move tomorrow.
2) Tomorrow is St. Patrick's day. I will be splurging and having a couple of beers while I eat slow roasted Corned Beef and Cabbage (With Carrots and Potatoes). I do need to be careful as I have an important meeting on Thursday morning and I rather not feel like crap. BTW, yes, I am very Irish.
3) Wife and I are looking to build a new house in the next 3-ish years or so, but thought about getting plans drawn up now. Local architect friend quoted me $30,000... I just about fell out of my seat when I read how much. But then again, is that normal? I hope not.
4) I am thinking of getting one of those desk-top standing desk things. I had an adjustable standing desk at the last job and I liked it. So it might be in the future for me here.
5) I have several pieces of furniture that I need to build between now and June. I am really looking forward to getting back into my shop and making sawdust.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Got rejected from the one job.
2. Never heard back regarding the second job.
3. Want to go back to school but don't want to pay for it.
4. Worried that house will never sell.
5. Worried that willnever find place to live.
6. Worry.
7. Worry.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. The afternoon yawns have started
2. Meetings @ 2 & 4 will fix that I reckon
3. It's been nice outside for the last couple days except for the wind
4. I turned my 2 budgets in without much extra
5. Maybe things will start lightening up here soon, but the light at the end of the tunnel is still very faint.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. Junior wrecked two cell phones in as many months.
2. It's supposed to get almost to 70 today.
3. the sun is out it's warm out the garden beckons.....and I hafta sit inside working.
4. The Beatles were great
5. I'm donating my car

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) I've been in the tunnel for a while, searching for any faint sign of light or moving air.

2) My boss has only been back a day and a half, and I'm already stressed out.

3) Sunshine! Dog walks! Some days are good. Others not so much - like last night and the storms that kept the dog from getting her evening walk.

4) I really shouldn't complain - life during the pandemic could be way worse for me/my family.

5) I miss interacting with other adults in person.

kms

Cyburbian
1. If you email a vague question about permits to me, don't get snarky when I ask for more information.
2. Learn how to use the Outlook button when you plan a zoom meeting. You may be complaining that I missed your meeting, and I'm biting my tongue instead of giving you unsolicited advice.
3. I was scheduled for the J&J vaccine tomorrow.
4. I should buy lottery tickets more than twice a year. You've got to play to win.
5. I dressed for a bike ride this afternoon because I have a meeting until quitting time. My knees are cold.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Long meeting this morning. I'll need more coffee at the break.

2) Boss has attended 2 out of about 15 meetings for my committee. She thinks I don't do a good job leading the committee. Maybe if she had a better sample size, where she saw the variety and issues with the attendees, she would have other ideas. IDK but I'm ticked at her selective attendance and comments based thereon.

3) Side effects from 2nd vaccine shot seem to be over.

4) Too bad the ringing in my ears didn't go away.

5) What's on the menu for tonight? No clue - it was Hubby's turn to grocery shop. I'll have to rummage in the fridge and see what's in there.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Department Head meeting highlights - large budget issues are looming
2. My boss didn't attend meetings & thought the same as yours Sal, until he started attending and witnessed the real culprit
3. The Girl starts 4-day-in-school tomorrow for the rest of the year
4. Pollen, pollen, everywhere
5. We cancelled our May 22nd downtown concert - still thinking about the June date

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The seedlings are starting to emerge in the garden
2. I only don my work khakis these days for meetings once a month - damn, I've gained a ton during covid
3. What the heck is 'asynchronous school'?
4. Time to buy a new game
5. new fence to be delivered today.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1) Work.... There are a ton of things on my plate and a bunch of things going on right now. But it is almost entirely stuff that I really enjoy doing. Over the past year, I really took the time to put serious restructuring elements into the department to raise the bar and expectations. This has resulted in a couple of departures and we have been able to find staff that really meets the needs of the City and the efficiency and customer service has skyrocketed, even knowing that our workload has more than doubled over the past two years. We still have a bunch of stuff to do, but I feel really great about where we are heading.

2) Home... We decided that we are going to make a few changes to our house instead of moving. There is one big ticket item (pool) but several little things that we are going to do to make our home more along the alignment of what we are looking for. Having said that, I am shocked at how many options there are with pools. When the excavate for the pool, I am also going to have them bring in additional fill to regrade our lot, establish a steeper slope with no-maintenance ground cover to help flatten out our back yard a bit better.

3) Health... 2nd Shot was the end of last week and it knocked me off my game (and routine) for the weekend. I am back up to 100% and had a great workout yesterday morning and will be looking to do the same tomorrow. I still have quite a ways to go to meet my goals, but there has been continuous progress.

4) Weather... Most of the trees are leafed out. The weather is warm and the pollen is very high right now. I would love to spend more time outside, but my allergies do not allow for it.

5) Vacations... One of my mentors got on my case the other day because it has been some time since I have taking a vacation to actually recharge and she is worried that if I keep going at this rate, I will get burnt out. We have a couple different vacations scheduled for the summer. One to visit family and one to go to an amusement park with the kids. The youngest wants to take a detour to Mt. Vernon as well because he has a new interest in George Washington.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Holy crap homeschooling is not for the weak.
2. It is difficult watching your kiddo struggle.
3. I just at a spoonful of Nutella as a coping mechanism.
4. The local humane society is accepting donations for their rummage sale this weekend. They are in for a surprise.
5. It is difficult to get rid of books.

kms

Cyburbian
1. I'm tired of people "donating" things that they feel guilty throwing away to me. I don’t care for their style of clothing, I won't repair that broken table and who gives away donuts that are cut in half? I dont feel guilty about throwing your things away, but just do it yourself.
2. My house is right against the street. Some people walk really close to my house, and that feels like an invasion of my personal space.
3. People tell me things because I can keep a secret. Someone told me something yesterday that I wish I didn’t know, and that I certainly don't agree with.
4. This is a "get off my lawn" kind of day.
5. I like watching reruns of Gunsmoke. Poor Festus could really use one phone call today.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Reading the Random Thoughts thoughts on car cleaning right after lunch wasn't great.
2. I can confirm that a split milk carton in the car during a Florida summer will leave an everlasting stench.
3. The Girl has 3 soccer games left in her HS career.
4. The Downtown Concert for May has been cancelled.
5. Hoping to get home by 9:00 tonight, but it'll really depend on how long some councilmen want to listen to their own voice.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Had a long meeting this morning, but it was productive. And we kept a quorum so voting is complete!

2) Boss doesn't like my use of acronyms. Too bad - sometimes using them is better than spelling it all out. Particularly when the text is sent to a small, specialized group that knows what they are and use them in conversation.

3) Sunny but a cold wind today.

4) I've got a pile of stuff on the table to be donated. I've purged clothes and random kitchen things already, this is a spring cleaning of the remaining flotsam of the house.

5) We are going out to eat inside a restaurant this weekend, to celebrate being fully vaccinated. Reservations, table clothes and drinks are expected.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Brought my pooch to work today so she can participate in the official grand opening of our dog park behind City Hall.
2. First budget workshop this week. While there may be discussion about priorities we are in very good fiscal shape.
3. We really were in a bit of a bubble as far as COVID impacts to our budget. Very fortunate.
4. The Heritage has to be one of the "rowdier" PGA events. Probably due to the many houses along the course. The players seem to enjoy it.
5. I've been eating in restaurants for months. Our numbers have been so low for so long people just aren't that concerned. Clearly the tourists aren't concerned. Due to WFH and virtual school it's pretty much been "the season" all year.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. The price of lumber is in the stratosphere
2. Bad timing because I'm installing a fence
3. My dog is getting into things she should not
4. Why did a cool game like marbles go out of vogue?
5. I need new work clothes

MD Planner

Cyburbian
1. Last week we presented the proposed budget to Council. Tomorrow we find out how much they disagree :grimace:
2. I've been playing softball for over 30 years. Last night was the worst I've ever played. It's like "someone" else took over my body.
3. I'm thinking that "someone" might be age. Now that I've realized that, "someone" needs to GTFO because I'm not done yet!
4. It's just getting harder and harder to find people who want to stay in law enforcement or get into it in the first place.
5. Over 50% of people 15 and up in my county have had at least one vaccine shot. I'd say that's good progress.

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Relatively quiet today after yesterday's shenanigans for the day
2. I will say the day got better after the 3:00 hour
3. There are going to be at least 3 'Council directed items' cut from the budget
4. Busy after work schedule this week for work & home
5. I had an opportunity to buy a very well keep daily drivable Triumph TR4 for a decent price from someone I've known for a long time. I didn't pull the trigger for a few reasons and I'm afraid I'll regret it.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Morning meeting went well. Have some follow-up items to do (standard) and some new items to locate.

2) They pulled a body out of the man-made lake (detention facility) this morning. Depending on what email chain you read, either domestic argument gone wrong or traffic accident victim.

3) Ready for a nap!

4) Long day with an evening meeting (at least it's online), which means a quick dinner before sitting down for another couple of hours staring at a screen. Good thing they can't see into the cup I'll be drinking out of! :wine:

5) I need to ramp up the job search.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
1. Warm enough out to sweat while walking the dog.
2. My doggy is a good boy.
3. Concerned about how the cats and dog are going to adjust to a new house.
4. Might finally get to see my sister after almost 1.5 years!
5. Where to begin?

Planit

Cyburbian
1. Tonight is night meeting #1 of 3 this week
2. Air conditioning is out today @ city hall & thankfully its not a mid-summer 95 heat day
3. I had to get access to 1 of the state's portals to submit encroachment documents. I did not have access. I asked the state rep who did? They replied with a name that hasn't worked here in 3 years. I still don't have access.
4. City Hall opens to the public tomorrow @ 8:00 am. Y'all c'mon.
5. After the storms over the last 2 days, I hope the pollen is done. It normally doesn't effect me, but my eyes have itched this year.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
1) Spent the morning finishing up a review of my employee. Hit save draft and exit. Came back after lunch. Nothing saved. Have to start over :mad:

2) Just got out of a meeting. My ears hurt.

3) Damn I want a nap.

4) Neighbor had a cracked sewer line. Today they came to fix it. It's a lot of dirt to dig up, and it rained yesterday. Lovely mess, and smell, out front today.

5) Been trying to avoid making plans for Mom's Day. I think I've backed myself into a corner.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
1. I have an unsettled feeling right now. It's like the Xanax I took an hour ago isn't even denting this mood
2. Mrs. Maister is having all sorts of dental problems at the moment
3. It's hard to focus on much of anything when in the throes of dental pain
4. Recreational marijuana has been legal in MI for over two years. I have yet to purchase any.
5. pork stir fry for dinner. Sounds....meh.