• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Signs / billboards Flashing Lights

Glomer

How does your city regulate flashing lights........strobe lights?

A pawn shop in our downtown sets up strobe lights in their store and lets them go all night. I called and told the owner that this was an attention getting device and would need a sign permit.......only allowable for 10 days. He, after calling me an anti-business comi planner........told me the city has no right to regulate what goes on inside his store.........and that I would have to shut down the electricity in our downtown, because just having your lights on is attention getting..

any help

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Our zoning code specifically prohibits flashing lights and flashing signs, as well as any device which appears to mimic the appearance of a traffic control device.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Here is an excerpt from our code:

Bare light bulbs shall not be permitted other than for time and
temperature, and electronic message boards. Further, no flashing, blinking, or rotating lights shall be permitted to be attached to any sign or building.

No sign shall be permitted, which moves by any means, except flags which are permitted as provided in Section 15-6-10(i) herein and except time temperature signs conforming hereto.

It doesn't really address a strobe light left in the window, but we would probebly use this section of the code to prohibit them.

Glomer

Do bars in your city ever use strobe lights????

Is that OK, seeing that they aren't ment as attention getting devices to the outside......passerbby???

Jeff

Cyburbian
Tell him he's oing to make poor little kids drop into epilleptic seizures.

No seriously, if the strobes are fronting on a roadway and illuminating that roadway they pose a very real threat to the safety of motorists and pedestrians because of the rubber necking it is sure to attract.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
The bars we have are pretty low-key, so they don't have strobe lights. The City I work in is not what I would describe as "bar-friendly" so any bar that would have strobe lights would probably find elsewhere to locate.

Do you have anything in your lighting ordinance that prohibits glare from one business onto the public right-of-way or onto other properties?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tricky problem. Most sign ordinances deal with this issue to prohibit them, or lighting ordinances may set standards they do not meet. In this case, they are not attached to a sign or on the outside of the building. I would probably go for a loose interpretation of the sign ordinance, as even though they are inside, they are visible from the outside (I'm assuming perhaps in the window?). The other arguments suggested, traffic safety for instance, may also be a good approach.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Michael found the issue here...it is on the inside. I have seen this loop hole used before. I agree that the better approach would be to persue it as a traffic safety nuisance rather than zoning. BTW, are two loud cockatiels in front of a business an attention attracting device?

Glomer

Thanks everyone........much appreciated.

I really don't think he can argue with me that much.......seeing that I just found out he is on the next council agenda requesting to be able to pawn items off premise. This will be another issue, seeing as I think this is illegal via state statute.