• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Flight Radar 24 find

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
This is an app and page that shows all non-military flights around the world. Interesting to me to see all the aircraft and where they heading to or coming from. I've always been interested in planes and think that a job with an airline traveling the world would be great (coronavirus notwithstanding) to see and experience what is out there on this thing called earth provided the $$ is enough. So my office has a window that faces one of the flight paths of the local airport. So I will occasionally look out at a contrail or incoming and go the this page, click on a plane, and see Paris to LA or London to Las Vegas. Panned around the map and saw a plane symbol I was not familiar with and turns out to be a P-51D Mustang.

Screenshot 2020-02-13 16.19.46.3.png

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Oooh, so interesting! This website could definitely be a useful time waster for me as there are a TON of planes up there in my region. I obviously need to know as much as possible about all of them!

TOFB

Cyburbian
I am also infatuated with flight. Living in flyover country, 95% (or more) of the planes overhead are heading east-west or vice versa. Yesterday, I saw a plane, very high, flying at a vector of about 220 degrees. I can only guess this was a a flight travelling internationally to Phoenix.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
RadarBox is a similar site. There's a cockpit view mode that's really interesting.

I check out the flight tracker sites from time to time, and ... yeah, I think they're pretty cool too.

FlightConnections is a bit more "plannerly", in a way. It's an interactive map of airports throughout the world, and all its commercial nonstop destinations. (You might have to use an adblock detector block to remove the "adblocker detected" popup, or an adblocker or plugin that lets you remove certain page elements.)

Poor, poor Toledo -- it seems to be the largest metro with the fewest non-stop destinations. Aside from Topeka, which has no flights, period. Also, many smaller metros in Canada have non-stop flights to Cuba and a bunch of other Caribbean destinations; something you don't see from airports in peer American cities.

MarineTraffic and Vessel Finder are the maritime versions. Zoom in on Miami to see some huge yachts.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
MarineTraffic and Vessel Finder are the maritime versions. Zoom in on Miami to see some huge yachts.
I hope you're happy you just shot my productivity today straight to hell!
Hey, what is that boat doing near Kerguelen Islands? And there are several boats really far north along the Greenland coast. What could they be doing?.....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hey, what is that boat doing near Kerguelen Islands? And there are several boats really far north along the Greenland coast. What could they be doing?.....
And there's a good amount of back-and-forth traffic between Tierra del Fuego and Antarctica, including a bunch of cruise ships.

Nothing going through the Northwest Passage.

There's a big line of vessels between the Sea of Japan and Seattle/Vancouver, following a great circle route.

Here's a massively busy shipping lane between little Port Hedland, Western Australia and Philippines.
Ships stay the hell away from Somalia.