• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Florida laefest planning

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, it's time to hear from all the Florida Cyburbians. I think we all know that Richmond Jake is relocating to the Panhandle in the next couple months. So it's time to start planning a summer lae-fest. Please check in so I know who is interested, and let me know your suggestions for a location. I'm thinking Tallahassee so as not to over-tax the new transplant, but let me know if you have other ideas.

H

Cyburbian
If ya'll can wait until after June count me in! (I cant be there before)

I am open as to where. Should we do something around downtown like the deck of Poboys? Or one of the classic college bars on Tennessee? Or go to the Leon Pub where they have a large selection of really good beer?

:b:

Belle

Cyburbian
Florida Cyburbians only?

I'd be up for a Florida fest....didn't I see Jacksonville floated as an option at one point?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Sorry, Belle, I am not trying to be exclusionary. Lae-fest in FL, open to Cyburbians here or in neighboring states, or anyone who will be in the area then!

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
I would formally invite any Cyburbanites to the planner's happy hour in Jacksonville, which is generally every Friday at 5 at the London Bridge Pub downtown (corner of Adams and Laura).

It's usually hard to miss a large group of planners - just listen for the boring conversation, petty griping, and massive beer consumption.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I'll be home in late June, early July in Jax. I want to go. ZG, we could get the other Cyburbinites in the Jax area together early or late on the day that we are meeting. I can't wait to see you guys. I'll leave the mascot home with the relatives.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I hate to dredge this up, but...

..hey, I'm here. Which weekends look good for the Florida Laefest? Either July 17 or 24 work for me. And the rest of you?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The 24th is best for me; I'm on vacation the following week.

First of all, where do we want to meet??? Cyburbians in the region, let's hear your ideas/preferences.

Richmond Jake

ZG,I like the 24th too. And you mentioned Tallahassee in an earlier posting and that works for me, too.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
I know i'm new and my opinion probably doesn't matter much, but i'm interested in going but the 24th is bad due to the fact i have finals the following week. We are talking July right. ;), My wife would come as well.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ok, it looks like July 24 is the best day overall, and Tallahassee the best location for our new FL planner. Sorry, Jacksonville folks, but I hope some of you will be able to make it.

How's this sound? Meet mid-afternoon, downtown, say around 3 or so; I found info on an historic district downtown that sounds interesting for a walk. Then adjourn to a downtown locale around 5 (H has suggested one - casual - with an outdoor deck).

Budgie

Cyburbian
Lead Time?

Zoning Goddess said:
Ok, it looks like July 24 is the best day overall, and Tallahassee the best location for our new FL planner. Sorry, Jacksonville folks, but I hope some of you will be able to make it.

How's this sound? Meet mid-afternoon, downtown, say around 3 or so; I found info on an historic district downtown that sounds interesting for a walk. Then adjourn to a downtown locale around 5 (H has suggested one - casual - with an outdoor deck).
If I had a month to prepare, I'd be at the next Laefest, regardless of location. That is if I would be welcome B-). Tallahasee on the 24th? OOPS !!!! I'll be in the Dallas Area, Freewaytincan's neck of the woods.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Wish I could be there! My weekends are going to be spent packing in preparation for my move (locally) so I really can't do any traveling til mid-August.
Have a blast and count me in next time! :)

H

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
3 is good. Where should we all meet at that time? the capital?? or is there a better place?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
How about we meet on the east side of the Old Capitol, facing Monroe St?

I should be the shortest adult in the area, so you should have no problem recognizing me.

PG, would love to meet up when you're down this way!

Richmond Jake

Zoning Goddess said:
How about we meet on the east side of the Old Capitol, facing Monroe St?

I should be the shortest adult in the area, so you should have no problem recognizing me.

PG, would love to meet up when you're down this way!
I'll need to get a street map of Tallahassee. See you there.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, here's the final plan for any Cyburbians planning to come: meet at 3 on July 24 at the Old Capitol, east side facing Monroe St (400 S. Monroe St) in Tallahassee, for a walking tour of an historical district; after that, we will be at Po Boys 224 E College Ave around 5.

Richmond Jake

Great, I'm there. I hope someone has a digital camera as the ex snagged mine before I left Idaho and I haven't replaced it yet.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
OK, here's the final plan for any Cyburbians planning to come: meet at 3 on July 24 at the Old Capitol, east side facing Monroe St (400 S. Monroe St) in Tallahassee, for a walking tour of an historical district; after that, we will be at Po Boys 224 E College Ave around 5.
It might be a good idea if we traded cell phone numbers in case of mix ups.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
You guys should really meet at Cabo's instead. Much better food and cheaper.

Would anyone be interested in doing another Lae-fest in September in Jacksonville?

Trail Nazi said:
Would anyone be interested in doing another Lae-fest in September in Jacksonville?
Yeah, me. :-D

But what are the odds that I will be on the east coast any time soon?^o)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
Maybe you should just announce that you got a NEW PLANNING JOB in NE FL!!
;-)

You plan one in Jax, and I'll be there, kid's soccer schedule permitting.

Richmond Jake

Trail Nazi said:
Sure, any reason to drink beer. :b: