• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Fmr. political junkie turned planner

jessearl

I learned to love government and the politics associated with it while listening to my grandmother as she did the books at our family's business while I was growing up. As such, I studied/am studying government in college and will graduate in Fall '03. I am in my last fifteen credit hours as an undergrad and am working full-time as a legislative aide to a Florida state senator while finishing my degree at night.

Part of my interest in government stems from a desire to answer the question brought about by an observation: we have a people, now, how shall we live? My interest in planning is a direct result of my interest in government, but my planning interests are more concrete and less philosophical.

My knowledge related to the planning field is rather limited currently. I took an undergrad intro course to planning at FSU and have read almost daily many of the articles on Planetizen. So, I now am aware that I find the issues related to planning of interest, now I need to learn about the field more.

Having only recently, last week, discovered the resource that is Cyburbia, it will take some time before I believe I have an accurate mental picture of the planning field. I have begun to seriously consider stopping my recently developing career and go back to graduate school. I was considering this move at some point, just not this seriously. So, I am spending a great deal of time researching planning departments and universities while at the same time wondering just exactly do I want to do with a degree in urban planning?

A job in the public sector, with which I already have some experience would be fulfilling I believe, however, I am not certain that the salary and benefits would meet with my expectations. I am strongly considering the development side of planning. The idea of helping to build a downtown that is vibrant and of usage 24 hours a day is strongly appealing to me.

For those of you still reading, thank you for that and for allowing me to introduce myself to you all. I look forward to learning from your experience.

Last edited:

japrovo

Welcome. I too labored in your curent line of work---until the treadmill of the electoral cycle started to get to me. One state senate race too many and I decided I needed to get involved with something that would give me a longer time horizon and the turned out to be planning. Good luck.

H

Cyburbian
Go Noles! (just kidding)

welcome aboard, I am gald to see other florida people!!

prudence

Cyburbian
jessearl said:
II am strongly considering the development side of planning. The idea of helping to build a downtown that is vibrant and of usage 24 hours a day is strongly appealing to me.
Let me begin by welcoming you.

That said, as a developer please understand that a 24-hour Walgreens located on a corner lot downtown does not meet your goal...

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Welcome fellow Nole!!!! Are you stuck in the Bellamy building? I rarely had any classes else where on campus. Beware of some the Gators that lurk on this site. :)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
BTW, FSU has a great planning department. Just make sure you mix some of the geography classes in with the planning.