• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Folks always picking on DC

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Folks always seem to bash DC so I thought Id share the webpage of a co-worker who like myself loves the DC area.

http://www.beyonddc.com/

Very good at showing the good (and the bad) of the DC area that many folks dont ever take the time to see.

There are good things about the modern Rome

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Very cool site PG. I am going to DC and Baltimore in October so it should come in handy with my trip planning.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Thanks there is so much more to the metro area than the huge gov center on Cap Hill. Much of DC and parts of Arlington are true neighborhoods. Check em out!

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
PG - I've got your back on DC, too. I lived there for two years (in Arlington) and really liked it. DC has so many fun areas to go out to eat and drink. And all those great cultural places, too, many of which are free.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Yup Im in Arlington (Clarendon/Cherrydale) and its great walk everywhere, folks talk to each other on the street.

Im the one woman program to get people to at least think about DC in a positive way once in a while.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Yup Im in Arlington (Clarendon/Cherrydale) and its great walk everywhere, folks talk to each other on the street.
That area is really cool. There are always articles citing Arlington as one of the most successful examples of transit-oriented development. Now, going outside Arlington into Fairfax is a different story....

I also liked how friendly people were around there. It's something that I missed when I moved to Boston - but Boston's got its plusses, too.

yaff

Cyburbian
Well, having recently relocated to the D.C. area, my husband and I are enjoying ourselves so far and, I would have to concur w/ P.G. There are a lot of neat things in the D.C. area to do and places to explore. So far so good!

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
When I was in DC last summer, one thing I really like was the outdoor concert series. I seem to remember it was near gallery place. Had a really good time. Is this an annual thing?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
There are more free things going on than you can do, mondays are free classic movies on the mall
thursdays are jazz at the Hershorn
fridays jazz at the Natural History meu
wed are free movies in Clarendon at the marketplace
thursdays free music at the Courthouse metrostop
weekends are huge outdoor festivals of every sort

always SOMETHING

after all this is the modern Rome and Ceasaer has to do something to keep the masses happy ;-)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I have no idea what the APA is planning but I sure am planning some good ones!

Dupont
Arlington Clarendon, Courthouse etc
other places im sure ill find folks are intrested in

That's a nice website. The only thing I don't like about DC is the high cost of living. Other than that, its a pretty great place.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Yes, I am sure we are definitely interested in "other places."
If you're getting us off onto the regular stripper tangent, I can recommend a few places to go in downtown DC. It always amazed me how there is strip club a few blocks from the White House.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Greenescapist said:
If you're getting us off onto the regular stripper tangent, I can recommend a few places to go in downtown DC. It always amazed me how there is strip club a few blocks from the White House.
Not everyone working at the White House has their own intern. ;)