• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Food Documentaries and Misinformation

michaelskis

Cyburbian
In 2004, a comedian made a movie about food... or one specific type of food... fast food. In the movie Supersize Me, he ate every meal at McDonald's for a given period of time and ballooned up and became real unhealthy. It was not the first documentary regarding food, but it might be one of the most well known.

For anyone with Netflix, there is almost no end to the list of food documentaries on there that promote one eating plan over another or in opposition to particular products or methods. There is a new one called "Game Changers" that is very pro-vegan. While it is a very impressive movie, made by James Cameron no less, it is full of misleading information. There was another one on perusing a carnivore diet a while back that was not a big dollar Hollywood movie like Game Changers, but it too was also full of misleading information, but that one did not get the same level of hype that this one is getting. Now there are several doctors, nutritionists, historians, and others that are pointing out the abundance of misleading statements, wrong information, and inaccurate understanding of history.

What are your thoughts on these 'documentaries' and do you think they are doing more harm that good? Have you watched any of these documentaries and have they persuaded you to change your diet? Have you ever looked into who funds these movies?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Rotten on Netflix is pretty good. The series does a deep dive into the 'nature' and genesis of several food types and there impacts.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
There are several subjects that just don't do well as documentaries, mostly because the documentaries are made by advocates trying to advance an agenda. I think food, particularly diets, falls into that bucket. The one diet that cracks me up is the paleo diet.... like we should really try to emulate the diet of people who rarely lived past their 30s. :D

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
I watched Game Changers recently and it's been on my mind, tho I haven't had a chance to do much research in regards to its claims (also waiting on a registered dietician friend to tell me what they think as well). Can you link to some of the info you mentioned about it? I'm pretty curious.