• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Food for Thought

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
KMateja's post got me to thinking about magazines, which led to Southern Living, which led to food. I get tons of good recipes from Southern Living (hey, redneck land...). What's your favorite? Here's mine (actually from a Campbells Cookbook):

KNOCKWURST CHOWDER:

2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER OR MARGARINE
1 POUND KNOCKWURST, CUT INTO BITE-SIZED PIECES
2 CUPS DIAGONALLY SLICED CARROTS
¼ TEASPOON CARAWAY SEED
2 CANS (10.75 OZ. EACH) CONDENSED CREAM OF CELERY SOUP
1 SOUP CAN MILK
1 SOUP CAN WATER
2 CUPS SHREDDED CABBAGE

IN 3-QT. SAUCEPAN, IN HOT BUTTER, COOK KNOCKWURST AND CARROTS WITH CARAWAY UNTIL MEAT IS BROWNED. ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS. OVER HIGH HEAT, HEAT TO BOILING.

REDUCE HEAT TO LOW. COVER; SIMMER 10 MINUTES OR UNTIL CABBAGE IS TENDER-CRISP, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY. YIELDS 7 AND ½ CUPS.

(I always make this the night before I plan to serve it. It is better reheated; the cabbage is more tender and the flavors have “melded” better).

It sounds strange, but everyone who tries it, loves it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Tactical-Box Chili (A firehouse favorite)

NOTE: A guy recipe, no measurements required ;)

Brown 1 lb of ground venison
Throw in a bunch of garlic, chili powder, hot sauce, and cayenne pepper while browning.
Mix in chili mix and a can of diced tomatoes.

Serve with grated cheese.