• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

For Bturk

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Awesome

I was going crazy looking for a pic of that!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
It's actually not that hard to figure out - I've driven it a couple of times. It's much easier to stick to the outside than it is try to get across the middle.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
It's actually not that hard to figure out - I've driven it a couple of times. It's much easier to stick to the outside than it is try to get across the middle.
OK, this is all the deabte in the office now! Does traffic running the perimeter have to yield to traffic coming from the inside? In busier times, I would think the inside might be easier.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
The cardinal rule of roundabouts is that you yield to traffic already in the roundabout (on your right). Basically the magic roundabout is a series of smaller roundabouts. See the thick dashed lines? Those, for lack of a better term, are "yield lines".

Ok, now i'm confused. In a roundabout - if you are entering the roundabout, i know you have to yield to the traffic already in the roundabout. however, if you are in the innermost lane of hte roundabout, you have to yield to the outer (exiting) lane, right? damn, i feel like a stupid yankee.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Uhhh...I'm not sure I understand you Kel. If you're in the innermost lane, and you want to get over to exit, it's pretty much a free-for-all. Hence the National Lampoon scenario...

Look kids, parliment, big ben!

I was just curious who had the right of way in a two lane roundabout.

nerudite

Cyburbian

Is it just me... or does it look like there are at least two collisions in the works here? It looks like two of the cars are going right over the double lined circles.

This wouldn't work in Edmonton... six months of the year you can't see the lines on the side of the road. Stop lines at intersections are marked with signs because ice covers the pedestrian crossings and limit lines. Actually, come to think of it... this picture kind of looks like the Safeway parking lot in February. :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
That looks like a parking lot. I'd love to see a video of that and see it in action! (Traffic geek)

Another amazing thing, I can't find any signage. Everyone knows how to use these?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan - I was looking for that thread to get the pic and was going crazy, so I co-opted Tranplanner to help. Thanks all!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hey Mike... Here's the street sign that goes with the Magic Roundabout... I don't get that much out of this.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Look kids, parliment, big ben!

I was just curious who had the right of way in a two lane roundabout.
There is no right-of-way that I'm aware of. If you want to go left/exit you should be in the outer lane. To go 'right' you need to start of in the inner lane, but move over to the outer lane when you wish to get off. 'Straight over' can be in either lane. The important thing is to be aware of everyone else and SIGNAL, which a surprising number of people don't. Having said that, I haven't seen many accidents on roundabouts. There are more at standard junctions.