• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

For me Planning is...

For me Planning is...

• my personal GOD!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a calling from on high.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • an exciting and challenging profession.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • a job with its occasional rewards

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • a job and nothing more

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • a bad choice of jobs. Why am I being punished in this life?

• a mistake, from which I hope to escape soon.

• a passing interest.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • a practice I seek to destroy from within.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • a love-hate relationship

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • an abusive relationship

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • meaninglessness.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

For me Planning is....

A field I hope to get back into someday (and hopefully I can buy my soul back from the guy I sold it to)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Usually just a small part of my job... (You didn't leave an "other" selection)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
...effective development and growth while protecting neighborhoods. I haven't seen this ideal situation yet, but I can still dream. ;-)

ludes98

Cyburbian
I am a love hater. Serving the dark side and working for developers, has made it that much worse. Hard to love your job when you sometimes help bring to fruition projects that are so bad they both suck and blow.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
el Guapo said:
Dude,
See the last answer/choice. ;)
But it isn't... It can only take up so much time, but it's VERY meaningful. Hell, we're in Comp review right now!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm in a love/hate relationship, too. Love what I'm doing now. Loved zoning/land use. Hated political end of it. Hated the paperwork/late night meetings and lying, a$$-kissing lawyers.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Love/Hate relationship. I love it when I occasionally get to do some real planning, as opposed to mountains of paper work. I hate the pay and having to put up with obviously bone-headed political decisions.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
biscuit said:
Love/Hate relationship. I love it when I occasionally get to do some real planning, as opposed to mountains of paper work. I hate the pay and having to put up with obviously bone-headed political decisions.
DITTOS

I am still relatively new to the profession, but I already feel it starting to beat me down. I really am not a fan of "current planning". I am too much of a "big picture" person to stay in current planning for much longer.

But I'll see how I feel in a couple more years.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Love / Hate

Definitely love/hate at this juncture. Love it when we say something has to be done a certain way -- over objections -- and it gets done that way. Then people say "you know, you guys were right".

Hate the political environment (especially with Mayoral election just weeks away). We are seriously a-political in the office and in our personal lives, but that's all people want to talk about. This is my fourth election and by far the meanest yet.

I've been considering starting my own little shop if things turn out badly. Scary -- no insurance, no bennies, and no client list. On the other hand, I get to be the boss.

BKM

Cyburbian
It was difficult for me to pick from these choices, given that I fall "in between."

Frankly, cities and architecture fascinate me, and I could never work in job, say, as a lawyer, or a "marketing professional" engaged in selling widgets to the world.

Am I excited about my current professional status? Not as much. I really like my coworkers, my bosses, and the organization I work for. I am paid fairly, the work is diverse and always changing, and I have good work-life balance. So, I ain't complaining.

I have less liking for the suburban town where I work, frankly. I am not always that engaged with the issues we face, and I thoroughly dislike some of the NIMBYism that we, as aplanners all face.

Despite my rather sharp rebukes to Super Amputee cat, I have to admit that I share his feeling of deeper malaise about current social, economic, and architecture trends. A suburban landscape of parking lots, giant outlet stores and Super Wal Marts really bothers me. But, that is not the Planning profession per se, that is "The World's Highest Standard of Living" at work, and I have no solutions nor would I suggest that "more planning" or "more regulations" are any solution. I sometimes believe the whole edifice will collapse of its own accord someday. Thankfully, I have no kids, because I don't know what kind of world they will be facing.

Boy, am I gloomy and wordy.

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Sounds like an exciting and challenging proffesion, but since I'm going for a geography undergrad, who know where the hell I'll end.. :p (mabye in urban planning, mabye not...)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
It's just a job to me. I lost my idealism and passion for the profession long ago...the politics, the approval of bad projects and having to compromise my positions too many times have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Love/Hate

I love the greater profession and the issues it deals with but I hate the beaurocratic aspects of what I do. I don't feel that I MUST be a planner forever. I'll always be interested in the urban environment etc. no matter what I do for a living. Sometimes I fantasize about going back to school for something else that can compliment my education and experience so far - but you can only spend so much time learning, especially with kids.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I also want to "DITTOS" for BKM's response.

I love the development and history of the built environment (it is inextricably [sp?] tied into everything else in our society. It is the physical manifestation of our society).

But I have an unfortunate disconnect when trying the see the importance of processing an annoying pool variation, or trying to explain to people that their thirty year old subdivision is a dynamic (sub) urban environment and change is inevitable, but they don't get it, and still don't come to the variation hearing. 'Your neighbor is going to put that big addition on their house, because they can.'

But I have also gotten to do some real planning recently. I volunteered through APA-Chicago Metro Section's Pro Bono program, and did a visioning session with a small muni. that didn't have any professional planning staff.

It was amazing. I think it ruined my present position for me, because long range planning is an order of magnitude better than plan review.

BKM

Cyburbian
Perhaps it would be a good idea to cut back your intake of goth inspired, symphonic Finnish death metal.
Hey, that's one of my "coping mechanisms." I hate "happy music." :) No alcohol (really) or drugs, so gothy music instead.

I am really not ALL that gloomy, really.

NP: Ordo Rosarius Equilibrio: "Tango for the Concession of the Suspender Princess"

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Re: For me Planning is....

moose said:
(and hopefully I can buy my soul back from the guy I sold it to)
-You wouldn't be refering to that wheeling and dealing traveling salesman, Satan, would you?

Planning, all glory and no recongition

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I picked abusive, based on actions of late. Time to seek a safe house, me thinks.

steveanne

So ummmm....

I came to love planning too late in my life to actually work as a planner. I minored in geography. That was about as close as I got. So, now I work in purcashing in the corporate office of a major Rx chain, and I log on to Cyburbia to get all the latest developments in cities throughout the US and Canada. I am a planner-wanna-be. I play Sim City, I draw maps, I read the census for fun, I compare cities, I get excited when something new is announced to be built, and get disappointed when it is a used car lot, I draw light rail routes on my local maps, I take pictures of architecture I like, I use words like TIF, brownfield, and mixed-use and no one understands me. I get angry at folks that cry NIMBY, and write down lists of what a city's center needs to get it back to being a 24-hour downtown.

But... Instead I purchase stuff. (sigh)

BKM

Cyburbian
But... Instead I purchase stuff. (sigh
Hey, many planners are "wannabe architects."

No design talent or drawing ability whatsoever.

So instead, I purchase "architectural" furniture, read Dwell magazine, and all that :)

Yuppie am I :(

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
BKM hit right the spot with this comment:
Ahhh I feel so... represented by that phrase :p

I also like Transportation planning, besides urban planning... but I also like metereology, climatology, etc.... :p I'll end somewhere...in about 6 more years...or so.

Kathie_WE

Cyburbian
One of my best buds who managed a sister Main Street with me a few years back said it best when she was encouraging me to go back to school rather then find another community development position,

"You are a planner and that's all there is to it. You could get another community position job but you'll still be a planner."

Shortly thereafter I turned in my application for grad school. In the words of Popeye, "I Yam what I Yam".

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
At this very moment....work is hell. Secretary is out indefinitely after an accident, IT guy is on vaca (guess who his backup is?), and my plate is overflowing. My week ended last week with the finance director telling me if her computer wasn't fixed, no one was getting paid this week. Spent the better part of 6 hours working on her computer in between meetings with applicants and engineers.

I still, for the most part, can't picture myself doing anything else. I love this stuff. :)

martini

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Hey, many planners are "wannabe architects."

So instead, I purchase "architectural" furniture, read Dwell magazine, and all that :)

Yuppie am I :(
This is me to a 'T'. Especailly the 'wanna be' part. As I'm still a starry eyed Graduate Student, not yet employed, I have this urge to call the profession the holy grail. I know that with in 3 years I'll be bitter and grumpy, possibly becoming a vengefull bastard, but I've still got three years of joy to come!

Status
Not open for further replies.