• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

For Mendelman: Inside the Michigan Central Train Station, Detroit

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Thanks for the find, Wanigas?.

I love modern 20th century ruins and Detroit has, probably, the largest and most magnificent collection of such ruins. It is amazing and awe-inspiring! Think of the great forces of economics and the wastefulness of Western Captialism. All the money and resources that went to build Detroit and now practically half the city IS abondoned.

[channelling Kunstler]This is such a massive waste and it is amazing that it is allowed to continue[/channelling Kunstler]

For everyone out there in cyburbia:
if you are a true urbanist, the two places you must visit at least once in your life are Manhattan and Detroit. These are the two Meccas for Urbanists. One shows the hyper-urban and the other shows hyper-urban abandonment.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Wow, those are some cool pics. Those kids got the adventure seeking bug in them as well like me. I guess I should go down and take some pics of the Old Central Terminal on Buffalo's east side.

http://central.terminal.railfan.net/

Next time I go to Concrete Central, I'll bring some rope so I can climb to the top.

plankton

Cyburbian
bringing back some fuzzy memories

How funny......I did a pretty good-sized painting (and lots of other stuff) in that building while living in Hamtramck in the early-mid '90's. It was entitled 'The Womb' and was a picture similar to one of the pics shown in this thread where a big hole in the wall is the centerpiece. It was in conjunction with my roommate's 1994 Wayne State art class. I didn't see it in the pics but that section of wall may have crumbled by now....

Good stuff!