• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

For Our Wannabe StormChasers...

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Ooooh, pretty. I'd like it more though if it showed some good storms heading my way. Lots of rain so far, and not a single rumble.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Nice link, MZ. We were supposed to have some rough weather yesterday/last night but it stayed south of us. Today is just more rain -- now my grass has grown past the point of really, really needing to be mowed :-c

boiker

Cyburbian
Speaking of storms, the two towns in Illinois that were devastated by the recent tornados were only 20 miles from my childhood town. It was freaky to see a decimated familiar downtown, and familiar structures. I've been to Utica an uncountable number of times with Starved Rock State Park nearby.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
That's the catch with storms. How can something so potentially devastating be so fascinating, and sometimes beautiful?

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
That's the catch with storms. How can something so potentially devastating be so fascinating, and sometimes beautiful?

On a Philosophical Note::p
Nature's acts are all beautiful.In nature, Destruction has beauty as well as meaning . It's just that Humans have settled down in natures path and find it devastating.
It's we who have made towns in the paths of tornadoes and not tornadoes which cross into our towns.

Doitnow!! said:
On a Philosophical Note::p
Nature's acts are all beautiful.In nature, Destruction has beauty as well as meaning . It's just that Humans have settled down in natures path and find it devastating.
It's we who have made towns in the paths of tornadoes and not tornadoes which cross into our towns.
I went down in flames big time once in another forum for making the point that the idea of "natural disasters" is extremely humanocentric and that if you CAN control some of the natural processes of nature that we find so damnably inconvenient, you do more damage to the ecosystem than the "disaster" does. I don't feel like writing my usual "book" on the topic but a brief example is the Aswan Dam: one of the many reasons they wanted to build it was to "control flooding of the Nile River". I guess they completely forgot that Egypt is called "the jewel of the Nile" and that all that inconvenient, icky flooding is the basis of a culture several thousand years old in what is otherwise desert. The consequences have been quite disastrous. Just one of them: the lack of flooding (and silt distribution that would go with it) has dramatically increased the use of chemical fertilizer. Sigh.

Gedunker said:
Nice link, MZ. We were supposed to have some rough weather yesterday/last night but it stayed south of us. Today is just more rain -- now my grass has grown past the point of really, really needing to be mowed :-c
Thanks. And I hear you (and Plannerbabs): rain, rain, and more rain can be downright depressing. A good thunderstorm can be Fun (if you aren't living in a trailer in Kansas -- ick, ick, ick!).

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Ooh, I can see the storm that's about to roll over us in a few minutes. I just heard the first rumbles :-D It must be a doozy; a little while ago the temp dropped nearly 10 degrees F in 10 minutes.

BKM

Cyburbian
Of course, the only storms out our way will be FIREstorms.

My sister lives in the Oakland Hills, up a narrow, wooded driveway surrounded by "natural" areas with eucalyptus and grass. Yipes.