• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

For the Astronomy Geeks

Floridays

Cyburbian
I think it's cool! This hasn't happened in 122 years, which means that anyone living today has never seen it. Not really sure if I'll be awake at sunrise.... :-\

Attachments

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The event should occur over the Big Easy around sunrise. :-D I hope that I don't forget to check it out. 8-!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I know: I may be the only person in the forum who pays any attention to this stuff. But this is So Cool! And it is happening on my son's birthday. :-D

Venus Transits the Face of the Sun (Stellar Conjunction and all that)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5138018

Happening, but you won't be watching it. No transit for me either. :(

ludes98 said:
Happening, but you won't be watching it. No transit for me either. :(
No, I won't be watching it. The last lunar eclipse was on the wrong side of the planet too, and I napped through the webcast that I had bookmarked. |-) Oh well. It is STILL Cool!
(I live with a couple of astronomy hobbyists. I am actually an astrologer, not so much an astronomy buff, but the two things are interrelated and the earliest studies of astronomy most likely grew out of the study of astrology. :-D After doing a unit of backyard skywatching-type homeschool astronomy and watching eclipses and visiting the Golden-something-er-other (Goldstone??) telescope in Washington state, etc, I have kind of also gotten the astronomy bug. :) )

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Our science center in Orlando is open for folks to view it between 6 and 8 a.m. tomorrow. Too far, too early for me, but I would like to see it.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Our science center in Orlando is open for folks to view it between 6 and 8 a.m. tomorrow. Too far, too early for me, but I would like to see it.
Still, even with a properly protected 'naked eye', the disk of Venus is just too small to observe directly. The best way is to use a telescope and project an image of the sun onto a light colored wall or screen. We did this during a partial solar eclipse back in high school.

Although it is too late now to observe with anything smaller than binoculars, there was a comet visible 'naked eye' a few weeks ago for a few hours after sunset in the western sky. I thought that that was very interesting, too. :)

Mike

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I know: I may be the only person in the forum who pays any attention to this stuff. But ....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5138018
No Michele!
You are not the only one. But I give more emphasis on the astronomy aspect and less astrology, although in India, Astrology is practised from ancient times and it is a very well developed subject and has many followers.:)

Doitnow!! said:
No Michele!
You are not the only one. But I give more emphasis on the astronomy aspect and less astrology, although in India, Astrology is practised from ancient times and it is a very well developed subject and has many followers.:)
Yeah, and they use those weird square charts. ;-) Of course, I am still adjusting to my professional software, where the signs move and the horizon and zenith are fixed points. I am used to the signs being fixed and the horizon and zenith rotating. Of course, that was a hand-drawn paper sytem. :-D But, I do like having all the calculations and stuff done for me. :)

BUT, most of the time, I will spare you the astrological gibberish and just toss out astronomical tidbits here in cyburbia. There are even fewer astrology buffs in cyburbia than there are astronomy buffs. :-}

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Yeah, and they use those weird square charts. ;-) Of course, I am still adjusting to my professional software, where the signs move and the horizon and zenith are fixed points. :-}
Ya!
I have the software but haven't loaded it yet. But have seen it being used and its amazing.