• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Forced Political Contributions

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Any public employees "expected" to contribute to the next campaign? In state government a few decades ago, I was coerced into helping the cause; in one city interview, I was told 2%of my salary would be deducted for the Mayor' race. Does this happen any more?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I thought that sort of thing was done with years ago. I have never encountered it. If told that in an interview I would tell them it would be alright if they were willing to write it into my contract and get the Attorney General to agree that it was legal. Then I'd probably turn around and sue their asses for discrimination when they didn't hire me.

BKM

Cyburbian
Maybe I am naive, but that sounds flat-out illegal (especially the mandatory 2% deduction).

Oh well.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
I once worked at a municipality well known for political irregularities. There were no forced contributions, but there were significant promotions and salary increases for those who volunteered in local political campaigns.

In fact, it was fairly well understood (and is so today) that if you want to advance, work the campaign. You will be rewarded for your effort in bringing out the vote.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Top managers at Milwaukee County were expected to constribute, until the "throw the rascals out" wave of recall elections started 2 years ago. I think it's now safely over.

El Feo

Cyburbian
I work for the Commonwealth of Mass. I'm in the union.

...and that deduction every two weeks is a forced political contribution, IMO.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: I work for the Commonwealth of Mass. I'm in the union.

El Feo said:
Yep - with ya there El Feo. My union dues go to support a variety of questionable political/social causes...and apparently it's all legal.

pete-rock said:

In fact, it was fairly well understood (and is so today) that if you want to advance, work the campaign. You will be rewarded for your effort in bringing out the vote.
Ditto here. Or at least show up at the important fundraisers.

Jeff

Cyburbian
At my old job we had forced political donations, but in a much more subtle way. We were forced to put 9% into a pension fund which paid 3% interest and no employer match until after 8 years.

At one point they were making 60% + on our money (Yahoo!, e-commerce days). I could have done better by putting the money in a savings account.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I've paid union dues once... but I have no idea what they went to. Otherwise, I've never been in the situation of forced political contributions. In fact, all of the places I've worked have had a policy that if you support a certain candidate, that it needs to stay away from the workplace and that you shouldn't make and comments about any candidate to the newspaper.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
And I'll bet none of the candidates or causes supported over the years were republican or conservative ones.....

And you wonder why we are not pro-union!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: I work for the Commonwealth of Mass. I'm in the union.

El Feo said:
I hate getting the union propoganda newsletters telling me who to vote for. Protecting the greatest number of public sector jobs shouldn't be the main reason to vote for a candidate.

In Providence, new hires, developers and just about everybody were expected to financialy contribute to the mayor's election - until the FBI finally threw him in jail.

El Feo, what do you do for the great state of Massachusetts?

El Feo

Cyburbian
Seabishop, I work for the Department of Housing & Community Development helpoing administer the HOME program, along with some state sources of funding. I love my job - using federal and state dollars to leverage private sector funds to help build affordable housing.

What do you do (I am assuming from your last post on this thread - perhaps incorrectly - that you work for the City of Providence)?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Now I am wondering

OK now I am wondering what my union dues are used for... and does anyone know how I can get out???

SGB

Cyburbian
Re: Now I am wondering

Ask your union rep, and watch he/she squirm as he/she tries to come up with a coherent reply!

michaelskis said:
OK now I am wondering what my union dues are used for... and does anyone know how I can get out???

Last edited:

Seabishop

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Seabishop, I work for the Department of Housing & Community Development helpoing administer the HOME program, along with some state sources of funding. I love my job - using federal and state dollars to leverage private sector funds to help build affordable housing.

What do you do (I am assuming from your last post on this thread - perhaps incorrectly - that you work for the City of Providence)?
City planner for the mighty City of Woonsocket. Luckily I never had to work for Cianci and Co. Our grants adminstrator deals directly with HOME - a few developers have done really nice things with it. I'm glad you can see through the details of federal grant administration to appreciate the big picture.

Hey, can you build/renovate me some affordable housing while you're at it? I'd prefer something brick, very urban, with easy T access and a good school system for about $100,000.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Off Topic: Woonsocket Rocks

You may have a different picture, dealing with it every day.

I live in an old house in Medway, Mass., and as a result, the Lowes in Woonsocket and my credit card are best friends. I don't approve, but what can you do?

As for the affordable house/T access/good schools/$100,000 suggestion, I'd build at least 2 if I could - one for you, one for me. But I can't which is why my wife and I are slaving away on an old millworker's house that we paid too much for - see Lowes reference above.

Seems we'll have to get together for a beer sometime.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Re: Off Topic: Woonsocket Rocks

El Feo said:
You may have a different picture, dealing with it every day.

I live in an old house in Medway, Mass., and as a result, the Lowes in Woonsocket and my credit card are best friends. I don't approve, but what can you do?

As for the affordable house/T access/good schools/$100,000 suggestion, I'd build at least 2 if I could - one for you, one for me. But I can't which is why my wife and I are slaving away on an old millworker's house that we paid too much for - see Lowes reference above.

Seems we'll have to get together for a beer sometime.

At least you're inside 495 (I think). Good luck with the house and we thank you for shopping in our newly renovated plaza. I guess Woonsocket does rock in its own way - maybe like Spinal Tap. Developers seem to be more interested recently in attracting people north of the border to shop and buy real estate. The beer idea sounds good, I really don't know any place here other than creepy looking bars.

Hey, what happened to the Northeast get together?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Re: Re: Off Topic: Woonsocket Rocks

Seabishop said:
Hey, what happened to the Northeast get together?
Give me and my wife a bit of time, and we'll come up with something for Portland, ME.