• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Forget gasoline prices, how about milk?

ludes98

Cyburbian
I admit I don't buy much of our grocery list, but I bought a gallon of milk last night for $3.99 at Safeway. We drink their Lucerne Skim Plus which is less water-like. I know it is sort of special, but it wasn't long ago (a few months maybe) we were only paying $3.39 for the same gallon.

Anyone think $3.00 a gallon for gas (or diesel for trucking industry) will drive that higher? I am certain it will, but I cannot live without my milk!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I saw this coming years ago which is the reason I switched to beer and wine.

plankton

Cyburbian
I say --> ween yourself from the teet! :-#

Try a tall cold glass of 'nilla flavored soy or rice milk instead (sorry udder-lovers).

BTW, my 1-1/2 year old son calls soy/rice milk "icky". He's very favorable to his Horizon organic whole (cow) milk no matter what the cost. :-c

I typically pay either $3.29 on base or $3.69 off base -- for a HALF-gallon. We only buy lactose reduced milk. I have one child who pretty much ONLY drinks milk -- close to half a gallon per day. :-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
There are cows across the street from me. If that doesn't work, I know where the birds live.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Mrs. G just gave $2.89/gallon for 2%. The kids love the stuff. :p

Habanero

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I typically pay either $3.29 on base or $3.69 off base -- for a HALF-gallon. We only buy lactose reduced milk. I have one child who pretty much ONLY drinks milk -- close to half a gallon per day. :-D
I'm in the same boat, I've managed to drink over a gallon of milk a week since I was little. They had a sale last week, 2 gallons for $3, I bought 4 and none of them went bad. Milk- it does a body good.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I'm in the same boat, I've managed to drink over a gallon of milk a week since I was little. They had a sale last week, 2 gallons for $3, I bought 4 and none of them went bad. Milk- it does a body good.
In a family of lactose intolerants, I have somehow escaped this affliction. That is a very good thing, because like you, I drink a gallon a week. I would likely drink even more if I were home more often. No calcium deficiencies here.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ok, who's with me here on the I hate milk clube? The only thing I can stand is cheese, besides that.. no way!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
plankton said:
Try a tall cold glass of 'nilla flavored soy or rice milk instead (sorry udder-lovers).
[fight club]
Soy milk will give you biotch t*ts
[/fight club]

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Ok, who's with me here on the I hate milk clube? The only thing I can stand is cheese, besides that.. no way!
No butter? No ice cream? Do you put water in your Cheerios or milk? Do you put mustard on your strawberries, or whipped cream? Wisconsin is the state that invented the cow. We defend our dairy products. Just a warning....

"Blessed are the cheesemakers".

Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers
to any manufacturers of dairy products.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I am with Plankton Soy Milk is good;
I buy Silk Vanilla Soy Milk from Schnuck's in my fair city goes for 3.59.

Because I am lactose intolerant,
I am with SkeLeton on the I hate milk clube.

I have no idea how much milk costs - I never look, I just buy, since I also drink about a gallon a week.

Although, I must say - hopefully this will help out the dairy farmers - they've hit pretty desperate straits lately.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I am lactose intolerant so I have no idea how much milk costs. I rarely buy little things of milk to cook with and once in a while a little tub of Godiva ice cream otherwise I take no notice at all.

Milk is YUCKY and from someone who has calcium deposits on their bones I dont need anymore calcium!!!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Milk in the Metro Chi area is very expensive.

But for about a month, the corner grocery down the street from us was selling Gallon whole milk for $0.99, which saved us about $3.00 bucks a week. Very nice.

We drink lots of milk so we don't often concern ourselves too much with the price.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
I'm with lots of other here. The only dairy I like is Cheese, Ice Cream and whipped Cream.

Personally, I don't like milk and it does not like me. After I drink it I head straight for the toilet.

Milk Sucks has lots of good info on why you should not drink milk.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Chet said:
[fight club]
Soy milk will give you biotch t*ts
[/fight club]
A bit OT: I think that's true. Soy has something in it that mimics female hormones. It's also been said to help with menopause and PMS symptoms.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Ditto. I hate milk. Cheese should be a food group in itself -- love the stuff -- and try to eat a yogurt every day for calcium. I had a kindergarten teacher who would make us sit at the table until we finished our milk. Finally, after a miserably long time, she'd let us dump our cartons out in the sink. She was EEEVIL!
The sad news is the impact it will have upon ICE CREAM. I've heard the prices may go up by 40%! 8-!

otterpop

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I admit I don't buy much of our grocery list, but I bought a gallon of milk last night for $3.99 at Safeway. . . Anyone think $3.00 a gallon for gas (or diesel for trucking industry) will drive that higher? I am certain it will, but I cannot live without my milk!
The price fo milk has a bigger impact on my pocketbook than the price of gas. With a three-year-old in the family, we go through about four to five gallons a week. I use maybe three gallons of gas. Milk is about $2.48/gallon here, while gas is about $2/gallon.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I admit I don't buy much of our grocery list, but I bought a gallon of milk last night for $3.99 at Safeway. We drink their Lucerne Skim Plus which is less water-like. I know it is sort of special, but it wasn't long ago (a few months maybe) we were only paying $3.39 for the same gallon.

Anyone think $3.00 a gallon for gas (or diesel for trucking industry) will drive that higher? I am certain it will, but I cannot live without my milk!

A pint of Harp, Guiness, Bass, Heffe Wiessen, or even a common crapy budwiser will cost $3 to 5$ in most places. So milk is still 8 times cheaper than beer! 8-!

BKM

Cyburbian
Trader Joe's has half gallons of milk for $1.79. Not bad. I actually prefer the "organic" Strauss milk or Heritage/Horizon. I really do notice a difference in taste.

biscuit

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Trader Joe's has half gallons of milk for $1.79. Not bad. I actually prefer the "organic" Strauss milk or Heritage/Horizon. I really do notice a difference in taste.
I'm with you on the organic milk. I've found that even organic skim milk has a better taste than most regular 2%'s.

jresta

Cyburbian
haven't had cows' milk since '97 (except in the occasional cup of tea) and i'm all the happier for it. When i was in school i did some research on lactose "intolerance" which a lot of people mistake for lactose maldigestion - which is the gas and stomach upset that most people associate with "intolerance" In other words you're stomach is saying "what the hell is this crap that you just dumped down here?" And let's just hope that you're all drinking organic milk b/c you don't want to hear the horror stories (and criminal cases) i dug up on conventional milk.

It turns out, and get this, that milk was designed for baby cows and that humans weren't really designed to digest it. If you start in scandinavia you'd have a rate of lactose malidgestion of about 5% of the population. As you went south towards Italy, Spain, Greece, etc it would steadily increase until it hit around 70% in parts of southern italy.

In africa lactose maldigestion starts at 70% and increases to 95% with the exception of some goat herding tribes in southern africa.
In asia, going east from eastern europe it increases from 30% to around 99% in the far east. The exception here is northern india and the himalayan region coming in around 15-20%

In the US it's the same thing - a significant portion of the black, asian, italian, and latino population can't handle the the amount of dairy they're told they have to eat.

As for lactose intolerance, it's really a much more severe symptom where milk proteins triggers an IGB (immune system) response that a lot of people pass off as allergies. They're right, it is an allergy, to the milk. It can also exacerbate other things like allergies to ragweed, pollen, and even other foods.

It's really crazy that people go out of their way to buy reduced fat or reduced lactose milk - if it doesn't agree with you you're body is trying to tell you something - just don't drink the stuff.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
No butter? No ice cream? Do you put water in your Cheerios or milk? Do you put mustard on your strawberries, or whipped cream? Wisconsin is the state that invented the cow. We defend our dairy products. Just a warning....

"Blessed are the cheesemakers".

Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?

Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers
to any manufacturers of dairy products.
Butter? unless it's peanut butter, I rarely eat any. Ice cream... rarely, and only in summer, I preffer the only water ice "cream". What do I put in cereals? nothing! I eat them dry! I hate soggy cereals! Whipped Cream or cream in general makes my liver grow fists and start hitting me in that face :p

Kuddos to all lactose intolerants, although it's not my case.. I just hate milk as it is...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I like almost all milk based products, but the thought of drinking regular old milk disgusts me. It tastes gross and has smells kind of strange. I have never liked the taste of Milk unless you add some ovaltine or chololate mix...then it is great.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
$2.99 at a convenience store last night. Grocery stores around here average around $2.59. Lots of milk going through the house with a pregnant Planner Groupie.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
$1.98! (Two 99 cent half gallons)

But I had to got to the dark side to get it (Walgreens)

As mitigation though, it was a loss leader and I didn't buy anything else.

plankton

Cyburbian
Well, that's just great.

I provide what I think is an innocent commentary on my dislike for cow milk and taste for soy milk and now I'm frantically looking down my shirt hoping I haven't unknowingly acquired man-boobs. :-o wtf !

Guess I'm going to be drinking the rice stuff for a while (at least until the swelling goes down) :-c

tsc

Cyburbian
I agree with Downtown... I would rather pay sky-high prices to dairy farmers than to the oil industry.... I also get more mileage out of a gallon of milk...

I made the switch to organic milk...as it really tastes better....especially skim milk. I usually use Horizon... or Vermont something... organic milk seems the same price... expensive... at about 2.50 - 3.50 1/2 gallon depending on the store (walmart vs. A&P)

I also use Stoneyfield yogurt...as it wasn't sour... but the last container I had was awful... and have found out that Stoneyfield is now owned by Dannon....bummer. :-c

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Gas and Milk are related! The price of Milk will go up with the gas prices because the cost to ship the milk from the dairy to the store will increase. You think that we have it bad, can you imagine how much it costs in gas to deliver a truck of milk?

Gas and Milk are related! The price of Milk will go up with the gas prices because the cost to ship the milk from the dairy to the store will increase. You think that we have it bad, can you imagine how much it costs in gas to deliver a truck of milk?
I agree- and that's why I'd like know: why is the price of milk still exorbitant?:-s

I can't remember the last time I even looked at the price of milk. It's milk. What am I going to replace it with, gasoline?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Orange juice. Its now easy to find OJ fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Okay, its not really a substitute, I just don't drink milk. I buy it by the pint for baking, usually costs a $1.00 a pint, which is rather pricy, but larger quantities would just go unused.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
I stopped looking once i went organic. I expect to pay anywhere from $3.30 to $3.99 a half gallon. I repeat, a half gallon. Back when my daughter was younger we used to buy a gallon and half from costco for about $6. On occassion the local super market will have organic milk to $5. When i see this, i pray to the gods of jelly... BTW it is astonishing to read how much milk you wees ones go through. All they need is 8 oz a day, no more, no less, preferably of the 2 percent stuff after the age of 2. My wife the feminista nutritionista (studying to become a dietitian) pretty much lambasts most parents for the mere fact. "Supposedly" milk speeds up hormonal growth in young kids (well at least milk with the rBST stuff pumped into it). Which is why we do organic.

Last edited:

graciela

Cyburbian
Milk is expensive because corn is expensive. Corn is expensive because it is in high demand for ethanol production.

The price I pay for livestock feed has tripled in the past year and a half.

BTW - I love Horizon milk. It is totally worth the extra cost.

wahday

Cyburbian
Milk is expensive because corn is expensive. Corn is expensive because it is in high demand for ethanol production.

The price I pay for livestock feed has tripled in the past year and a half.

BTW - I love Horizon milk. It is totally worth the extra cost.
This is what I have read as well. Also, New Zealand and Australia, the world's biggest suppliers of milk, have been experiencing a drought and their production has dropped considerably. So now there is increased demand on US and Europe to produce more to fill the gap.

Oh, and the EU has, in recent years, reduced subsidies on dairy production, making profit margins slimmer and forcing some to raise prices.

Welcome to the new economy.

boiker

Cyburbian
Who buys milk? That stuff's not good for you after about age 5!
I'm a recent "no milk" convert. My wife has gone vegan and I'm experimenting with vegetarian. The kids too! So far, it's been a really good choice. I can't believe I actually feel better eating no meat. I'm not far enough removed to forget how a cheeseburger tastes... so I've got those old temptations to fight!

We buy soy & rice milk now... which is even more expensive than dairy.

wahday

Cyburbian
Who buys milk? That stuff's not good for you after about age 5!
People with kids under 5...

Our milk consumption is fairly limited 'cept for the kids. But we do need it for baking and coffee... We get soy and rice milk sometimes, but less so lately. It really is prohibitively expensive.

Planit

Cyburbian
Sometimes there's nothing better than a tall glass of milk and a couple Oreo cookies!

Has anyone noticed the price is the same but the cartons of ice cream has gotten smaller?

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Sometimes there's nothing better than a tall glass of milk and a couple Oreo cookies!

Has anyone noticed the price is the same but the cartons of ice cream has gotten smaller?
Yep, did you buy Breyers? Its fairly obvious that its somewhat smaller. In Buffalo you could sometimes get Breyers for $1.99 on sale (not too often), but I've never seen it that cheap here. Of course Chicago is more expensive but obviously food prices have gone up as well.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member

You might enjoy this website that chronicles how companies play games with consumers -- like the incredible shrinking container that stays the same price as the former fuller container.:-x