• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Forgotten parts of the cities?

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I know that there are web sites out there, I just don’t remember any of them. Each city has places that for one reason or another have just been left abandoned, neglected, or covered up. I don’t know of any in K-Zoo yet, and only know of one in Portage. What are some of the forgotten parts of your city? (or that you know of from other cities) Pictures and web links would be helpful.

Mine is a former building on an industrial lot where only the footings remain and they are just about surface level, and mostly covered with grass and tress.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
The old industrial section along the Buffalo River is still one of my favorite parts of the city that is mixed with abandoned buildings from the past as well as existing buildings from the past that still function.

I like the grain elevators the best, like archaic dinosars lost in time. Yet you can still feel the ghosts that haunt them.

1796IMAGE010-med.jpg

Now that summer is here, I'll have to get out the rope and go down and take some pictures. Better bring the machete too (to cut through the weeds, not bodies;)).

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
I like the grain elevators the best, like archaic dinosars lost in time. Yet you can still feel the ghosts that haunt them.
I thought I read somewhere that someone had nominated an abandoned elevator to the National Register of Historic Places. That true?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
DecaturHawk said:
I thought I read somewhere that someone had nominated an abandoned elevator to the National Register of Historic Places. That true?
I know that the Great Northern Elevator is a local landmark, I'm not sure if they were applying for a National designation or not. I looked but couldn't find if Concrete Central is designated for National or not. I know it is locally, but I'll keep digging.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
What is this "abandoned" stuff? We have three operating elevators in town, four more just out of town, then one evey ten miles along the two railroad lines. Several city hall workers are off for the wheat harvest.